GDI/GDI+ stop drawing after a while on Windows 7

I have an app that I developed some time ago for W2K.  The app draws text
and graphics onto a CView derived window using GDI+.  It also hosts
shockwave flash player that occasionally plays a clip in the same window.
The app could work 24x7 on W2K and XP.

I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm running into a
strange problem.  After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a
couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops
drawing to the screen.  That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs but
nothing happens on the screen.

I'm logging the most important calls to a file with their return codes and
there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave object
is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.

Quitting the app and restarting it fixes the problem (i.e. for another
couple of hours/days).  So it is not a system wide failure.

I'm monitoring the most important resources (e.g. memory, handles, etc.) and
did not see any leaks.  The app is not hung either.  The app's timers and
worker threads are running when the app runs into the problem.  I could also
bring up a dialog box belonging to the app and move it around without any
problems.

I realise that Windows 7 with its Direct3D Aero/WDM has to 'emulate' GDIs
but I'd rather expect some performance issues and not a complete and
undetectable failure like this.

Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot this
one?

Thanks,
Bogdan

0
Bogdan
12/22/2009 3:25:04 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm running into a
>strange problem.  After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a
>couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops
>drawing to the screen.  That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs but
>nothing happens on the screen.
>
>I'm logging the most important calls to a file with their return codes and
>there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave object
>is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.

Bogdan,

Have you tried it on a couple of different W7 machine - i.e. one with
Nvidia and one ATI graphics? Have you tried it with Aero and with
Basic?

Your symptoms do sound similar to running out of resources, but as you
say you can't see any obvious leaks, then a graphics driver quirk may
be the issue!

Dave
0
David
12/22/2009 3:42:27 PM
"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
> >I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm running into a
>>strange problem.  After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a
>>couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops
>>drawing to the screen.  That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs
>>but
>>nothing happens on the screen.
>>
>>I'm logging the most important calls to a file with their return codes and
>>there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave
>>object
>>is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.
>
> Bogdan,
>
> Have you tried it on a couple of different W7 machine - i.e. one with
> Nvidia and one ATI graphics? Have you tried it with Aero and with
> Basic?
>
> Your symptoms do sound similar to running out of resources, but as you
> say you can't see any obvious leaks, then a graphics driver quirk may
> be the issue!
>
> Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I currently have only 2 Windows 7 machines available
for testing and [unfortunately] they are identical.  I'm running a different
test on the second one.  I'm going to set it up for the problematic test
this afternoon and see if it behaves differently.
And, as you suggested, I'll try a different graphics card.  Both of the
Windows 7 machines use an on-board Nvidia.

This is a nasty problem for apps that need to run 24x7.  There seem to be no
way to detect the failure.

One additional piece of info that I did not mention in my initial post...
The app also plays mpeg, mp4, or wmv clips in a window using DirectShow.
The playback of these files never fails.  The app works fine with VMR7
(DirectDraw), VMR9 (Direct3D), and EVR renderers.
For example, if GDIs fail the DirectShow keeps rendering fine for another
day or longer.

And as I mentioned, I keep track of threads, user objects, GDI objects,
handles, memory, etc.  No obvious leaks there.

I tested the app with Basic and, as far as I remember, the performance was
not acceptable.  Does that make sense?

I'll go through the testing and post the results here.

In the meantime, if you or anyone else has an idea what else I can do I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bogdan

0
Bogdan
12/22/2009 6:11:03 PM
Hi Bogdan,

Did you try setting up the column for GDI resources in the Task Manager to
see if maybe something is leaking somewhere?  You can set it up in the
options.

Tom

"Bogdan" <bogdan@nocompany.com> wrote in message
> I have an app that I developed some time ago for W2K.  The app draws text
> and graphics onto a CView derived window using GDI+.  It also hosts
> shockwave flash player that occasionally plays a clip in the same window.
> The app could work 24x7 on W2K and XP.
>
> I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm running into a
> strange problem.  After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a
> couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops
> drawing to the screen.  That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs
> but nothing happens on the screen.
>
> I'm logging the most important calls to a file with their return codes and
> there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave
> object is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.
>
> Quitting the app and restarting it fixes the problem (i.e. for another
> couple of hours/days).  So it is not a system wide failure.
>
> I'm monitoring the most important resources (e.g. memory, handles, etc.)
> and did not see any leaks.  The app is not hung either.  The app's timers
> and worker threads are running when the app runs into the problem.  I
> could also bring up a dialog box belonging to the app and move it around
> without any problems.
>
> I realise that Windows 7 with its Direct3D Aero/WDM has to 'emulate' GDIs
> but I'd rather expect some performance issues and not a complete and
> undetectable failure like this.
>
> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot
> this one?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

0
Tom
12/22/2009 11:23:06 PM
>I tested the app with Basic and, as far as I remember, the performance was
>not acceptable.  Does that make sense?

Ignoring any performance issues, does it fail in that mode?

Dave
0
David
12/22/2009 11:57:59 PM
See below...
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:11:03 -0500, "Bogdan" <bogdan@nocompany.com> wrote:

>"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> >I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm running into a
>>>strange problem.  After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a
>>>couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops
>>>drawing to the screen.  That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs
>>>but
>>>nothing happens on the screen.
>>>
>>>I'm logging the most important calls to a file with their return codes and
>>>there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave
>>>object
>>>is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.
>>
>> Bogdan,
>>
>> Have you tried it on a couple of different W7 machine - i.e. one with
>> Nvidia and one ATI graphics? Have you tried it with Aero and with
>> Basic?
>>
>> Your symptoms do sound similar to running out of resources, but as you
>> say you can't see any obvious leaks, then a graphics driver quirk may
>> be the issue!
>>
>> Dave
>
>Dave,
>
>Thanks for the reply.  I currently have only 2 Windows 7 machines available
>for testing and [unfortunately] they are identical.  I'm running a different
>test on the second one.  I'm going to set it up for the problematic test
>this afternoon and see if it behaves differently.
>And, as you suggested, I'll try a different graphics card.  Both of the
>Windows 7 machines use an on-board Nvidia.
>
>This is a nasty problem for apps that need to run 24x7.  There seem to be no
>way to detect the failure.
****
First, you need to look at all those graphics calls that do drawing.  If you are losing
information, you can either do something like
	VERIFY(dc.LineTo(...));
	VERIFY(dc.TextOut(...));
or
	if(!dc.LineTo(...))
	    LogFailure(_T("LineTo"), _T(__FILE__), __LINE__);
	if(!dc.TextOut(...))
	    LogFailure(_T("TextOut"), _T(__FILE__), __LINE__);
or do something like
#define logLineTo(L, T, R, B) if(!dc.Lineto(L, T, R, B)) LogFailure(...etc...)

but you have not told us what you are examining or logging, so we have no way to tell.

Use the sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com) Process Explorer to see what your GDI handle
usage is.  Have it monitor the app and watch if it grows.  Use the Application Verifier to
see if you have a handle leak, and where.

These are the first things I would try.
					joe
****
You say you log return code values, but in the absence of any details of WHAT return codes
you save there is no way to tell what you are doing.

>One additional piece of info that I did not mention in my initial post...
>The app also plays mpeg, mp4, or wmv clips in a window using DirectShow.
>The playback of these files never fails.  The app works fine with VMR7
>(DirectDraw), VMR9 (Direct3D), and EVR renderers.
>For example, if GDIs fail the DirectShow keeps rendering fine for another
>day or longer.
>
>And as I mentioned, I keep track of threads, user objects, GDI objects,
>handles, memory, etc.  No obvious leaks there.
>
>I tested the app with Basic and, as far as I remember, the performance was
>not acceptable.  Does that make sense?
>
>I'll go through the testing and post the results here.
>
>In the meantime, if you or anyone else has an idea what else I can do I'd
>greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>Bogdan

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
12/23/2009 3:30:49 AM
Joseph,

Thanks for the reply.

My application keeps track of resources (including GDI handles) and reports
them to a server via HTTP at a predefined frequency (currently set for 10
minutes).  So, at any time I could get a snapshot of resource usage with the
max delay of 10 minutes.
I have not seen any leaks.  For example handle count stays around 800, GDI
objects: 114, and user objects: 76.
BTW, the app calls GetGuiResources() to get its usage of GDI handles.

Most of the drawing is done in GDI+.  GDI+ API return codes (e.g. Ok means
success).  The app checks the return codes and if Ok is not returned then a
corresponding error message is logged into a file.  No errors are logged
when the app gets into trouble.

Thanks again,
Bogdan

> [...]
> WHAT return codes
> you save there is no way to tell what you are doing.
>>
>>One additional piece of info that I did not mention in my initial post...
>>The app also plays mpeg, mp4, or wmv clips in a window using DirectShow.
>>The playback of these files never fails.  The app works fine with VMR7
>>(DirectDraw), VMR9 (Direct3D), and EVR renderers.
>>For example, if GDIs fail the DirectShow keeps rendering fine for another
>>day or longer.
>>
>>And as I mentioned, I keep track of threads, user objects, GDI objects,
>>handles, memory, etc.  No obvious leaks there.
>>
>>I tested the app with Basic and, as far as I remember, the performance was
>>not acceptable.  Does that make sense?
>>
>>I'll go through the testing and post the results here.
>>
>>In the meantime, if you or anyone else has an idea what else I can do I'd

Bogdan
12/23/2009 2:32:09 PM
Tom,

Yes.  I always have the 'extra' columns enabled - including handles,
threads, user objects, and gdi objects.

The app keeps track of GDI objects usage on its own by calling
GetGuiResources().  The count returned by the API agrees with what I see in
the Task Manager. Could not see any leaks - the count stays at 114.

And the fact that the app sometimes fails just after 2-3 hours and another
times after 3 or more days would suggest that this not a resource issues.

What is really frustrating in this case is that I have no way of detecting
it.  I know that GDI+ calls are taking place (I have different levels of
logging in the app, including diagnostics, so I'm certain of it) and those
calls do not return any errors.

Also, the flash object that my app uses from time to time, does not report
any errors either.  The area of the screen that the object is supposed to
update though, does not get updated.

Bogdan

"Tom Serface" <tom@camaswood.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bogdan,
>
> Did you try setting up the column for GDI resources in the Task Manager to
> see if maybe something is leaking somewhere?  You can set it up in the
> options.
>
> Tom
>
> "Bogdan" <bogdan@nocompany.com> wrote in message
>> I have an app that I developed some time ago for W2K.  The app draws text
>> and graphics onto a CView derived window using GDI+.  It also hosts
>> shockwave flash player that occasionally plays a clip in the same window.
>> The app could work 24x7 on W2K and XP.
>>
>> I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm running into a
>> strange problem.  After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a
>> couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops
>> drawing to the screen.  That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs
>> but nothing happens on the screen.
>>
>> I'm logging the most important calls to a file with their return codes
>> and there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave
>> object is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.
>>
>> Quitting the app and restarting it fixes the problem (i.e. for another
>> couple of hours/days).  So it is not a system wide failure.
>>
>> I'm monitoring the most important resources (e.g. memory, handles, etc.)
>> and did not see any leaks.  The app is not hung either.  The app's timers
>> and worker threads are running when the app runs into the problem.  I
>> could also bring up a dialog box belonging to the app and move it around
>> without any problems.
>>
>> I realise that Windows 7 with its Direct3D Aero/WDM has to 'emulate' GDIs
>> but I'd rather expect some performance issues and not a complete and
>> undetectable failure like this.
>>
>> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot
>> this one?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bogdan

0
Bogdan
12/23/2009 2:47:31 PM
I haven't tried it yet.  I did not think it was worth trying because of the
performance.
I'll give it a try once the currently running test is finished.

Bogdan

> >I tested the app with Basic and, as far as I remember, the performance
> >was
>>not acceptable.  Does that make sense?
>
> Ignoring any performance issues, does it fail in that mode?
>
> Dave

0
Bogdan
12/23/2009 2:54:30 PM
OK, it was worth mentioning, but sounds like you have that covered.  I
wonder if you have any filters registered that could be the culprit.  Are
you doing anything with DirectX/DirectShow?

If so maybe using a tool like:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd390950(VS.85).aspx on the content
would give you and idea of what is being called and you could try
unregistering some of them to see if that makes a difference.  I know I'm
clutching for straws, but ...

> [...]
>>> and there are no errors reported whatsoever.  In addition, the shockwave
>>> object is not displaying anything either and does not report any errors.
>>>
>>> Quitting the app and restarting it fixes the problem (i.e. for another
>>> couple of hours/days).  So it is not a system wide failure.
>>>
>>> I'm monitoring the most important resources (e.g. memory, handles, etc.)
>>> and did not see any leaks.  The app is not hung either.  The app's
>>> timers and worker threads are running when the app runs into the
>>> problem.  I could also bring up a dialog box belonging to the app and
>>> move it around without any problems.
>>>
>>> I realise that Windows 7 with its Direct3D Aero/WDM has to 'emulate'
>>> GDIs but I'd rather expect some performance issues and not a complete
>>> and undetectable failure like this.
>>>
>>> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot

0
Tom
12/23/2009 6:39:17 PM
Sigh.  Sounds like some problems with GDI+, or possibly that Flash control.  Maybe you
could create a trivial little app that ran a Flash animation endlessly, and see if it
failed all on its own.  That's the next thing I'd try if I were trying to figure this out.
Then I'd try the app but condition out the Flash animation and see if it failed.

It doesn't help that Microsoft treats professional systems like Win16 boxes and puts silly
limits on GDI resources (which are allocated globally, not per-process, so if I have 50
processes running, I run out of GDI resources, on a $%&! 4GB 2.8GHz quad processor!  Give
me a break, people, this is a professional world with professional users with professional
demands for resources!  It would not at all surprise me if they haven't fixed this
stupidity in Win7, or maybe even made it worse)
				joe

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:32:09 -0500, "Bogdan" <bogdan@nocompany.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> WHAT return codes
>> you save there is no way to tell what you are doing.
>>>
>>>One additional piece of info that I did not mention in my initial post...
>>>The app also plays mpeg, mp4, or wmv clips in a window using DirectShow.
>>>The playback of these files never fails.  The app works fine with VMR7
>>>(DirectDraw), VMR9 (Direct3D), and EVR renderers.
>>>For example, if GDIs fail the DirectShow keeps rendering fine for another
>>>day or longer.
>>>
>>>And as I mentioned, I keep track of threads, user objects, GDI objects,
>>>handles, memory, etc.  No obvious leaks there.
>>>
>>>I tested the app with Basic and, as far as I remember, the performance was
>>>not acceptable.  Does that make sense?
>>>
>>>I'll go through the testing and post the results here.
>>>
>>>In the meantime, if you or anyone else has an idea what else I can do I'd

12/23/2009 7:57:32 PM
I don't know about this particular issue, but I've found Windows 7 has fixed
a lot of issues I had with Vista.  I'm happily updating my systems one by
one.

Tom

> Sigh.  Sounds like some problems with GDI+, or possibly that Flash
> control.  Maybe you
> could create a trivial little app that ran a Flash animation endlessly,
> and see if it
> failed all on its own.  That's the next thing I'd try if I were trying to
> figure this out.
> Then I'd try the app but condition out the Flash animation and see if it
> failed.
>
> It doesn't help that Microsoft treats professional systems like Win16
> boxes and puts silly
> limits on GDI resources (which are allocated globally, not per-process, so
> if I have 50
> processes running, I run out of GDI resources, on a $%&! 4GB 2.8GHz quad
> processor!  Give
> me a break, people, this is a professional world with professional users
> with professional
> demands for resources!  It would not at all surprise me if they haven't
> fixed this
> stupidity in Win7, or maybe even made it worse)
> joe
>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:32:09 -0500, "Bogdan" <bogdan@nocompany.com> wrote:
>
>>Joseph,
>>
>>Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>My application keeps track of resources (including GDI handles) and
>>reports
>>them to a server via HTTP at a predefined frequency (currently set for 10
>>minutes).  So, at any time I could get a snapshot of resource usage with
>>the
>>max delay of 10 minutes.
>>I have not seen any leaks.  For example handle count stays around 800, GDI
>>objects: 114, and user objects: 76.
>>BTW, the app calls GetGuiResources() to get its usage of GDI handles.
>>
>>Most of the drawing is done in GDI+.  GDI+ API return codes (e.g. Ok means
>>success).  The app checks the return codes and if Ok is not returned then
>>corresponding error message is logged into a file.  No errors are logged
>>when the app gets into trouble.
>>
>>Thanks again,
>>Bogdan
>>

>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> See below...

>>> ****
>>> First, you need to look at all those graphics calls that do drawing.  If
>>> you are losing
>>> information, you can either do something like
>>> VERIFY(dc.LineTo(...));
>>> VERIFY(dc.TextOut(...));
>>> or
>>> if(!dc.LineTo(...))
>>>     LogFailure(_T("LineTo"), _T(__FILE__), __LINE__);
>>> if(!dc.TextOut(...))
>>>     LogFailure(_T("TextOut"), _T(__FILE__), __LINE__);
>>> or do something like
>>> #define logLineTo(L, T, R, B) if(!dc.Lineto(L, T, R, B))
>>> LogFailure(...etc...)
>>>
>>> but you have not told us what you are examining or logging, so we have
>>> no
>>> way to tell.
>>>
>>> Use the sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com) Process Explorer to see what
>>> your GDI handle
>>> usage is.  Have it monitor the app and watch if it grows.  Use the
>>> Application Verifier to
>>> see if you have a handle leak, and where.
>>>
>>> These are the first things I would try.
>>> joe
>>> ****
>>> You say you log return code values, but in the absence of any details of
>>> WHAT return codes
>>> you save there is no way to tell what you are doing.

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Tom
12/24/2009 3:25:05 AM
On Dec 22 2009, 4:25=A0pm, "Bogdan" <bog...@nocompany.com> wrote:
> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot th=
is
> one?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

It has been some time since you last posted in this thread, but I hope
you or someone else stops by anyway.

I have similar problems as you, I have a working application which
works fine on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but when running it on
Windows 7 I get GDI leaks.

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Regards,
Anders Dalvander
0
Anders
1/19/2010 3:54:29 PM
"Anders Dalvander" <google@dalvander.com> wrote in message
On Dec 22 2009, 4:25 pm, "Bogdan" <bog...@nocompany.com> wrote:
> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot
> this
> one?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

> Hi Bogdan,
>
> It has been some time since you last posted in this thread, but I hope
> you or someone else stops by anyway.

> I have similar problems as you, I have a working application which
> works fine on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but when running it on
> Windows 7 I get GDI leaks.
>
> Did you find a solution to your problem?
>
> Regards,
> Anders Dalvander

I have not been able to find a working solution.  I did however make some
progress by disabling on-board nvidia and putting in pcie ATI 44* Radeon.  I
no longer experience any drawing related issues.  But I'm not completely out
of the woods.  The app now leaks about 30 MB of memory per hour!  The same
app runs at ~75  MB of memory for weeks on XP and W2K.  I think that Win7 is
not quite ready yet (hardware, drivers, decoders, etc.) to run 24x7.  I hope
that hardware/drivers will mature soon on Win7 so we can retire XP.

Bogdan

0
Bogdan
1/19/2010 7:07:00 PM
On Jan 19, 8:07=A0pm, "Bogdan" <bog...@nocompany.com> wrote:
> I have not been able to find a working solution. =A0I did however make so=
me
> progress by disabling on-board nvidia and putting in pcie ATI 44* Radeon.=
 =A0I
> no longer experience any drawing related issues. =A0But I'm not completel=
y out
> of the woods. =A0The app now leaks about 30 MB of memory per hour! =A0The=
 same
> app runs at ~75 =A0MB of memory for weeks on XP and W2K. =A0I think that =
Win7 is
> not quite ready yet (hardware, drivers, decoders, etc.) to run 24x7. =A0I=
 hope
> that hardware/drivers will mature soon on Win7 so we can retire XP.
>
> Bogdan

I was successful in resolving my issue, it was due to a programming
error on my part. It appears that Windows 7 is stricter regarding
cleanup order than previous Windows versions, and we were releasing a
DC that had a GDI object selected. Tested a lot of GDI object counting
tools, and all of them reported different numbers, which is a bit
strange.

Regards,
Anders
0
Anders

Windows Speech Recognition vs. Dragon
Hello: I see that Vista offers Speech Recognition software that allows you to open apps and dictate speech into Word, Wordpad, etc. Does anyone have any idea on how this free Speech Recognition software compares to the Dragon software that I've been seeing advertised on TV commercials? childofthe1980s The old proverb "you get what you pay for" is still true. Windows comes w/Speech Recognition (SR) for free, but the good news Microsoft is a strong company w/strong products so NOT too bad at SR entry to mid-level when compared to Dragon. You still get a min...

GDI+ and resizing a PictureBox
I am using GDI+ in one of my VB6 apps(mainly for anti aliasing support). It works fine, but when I create the Graphics object, which takes a PictureBox hDC. It never draws outside the PictureBox original size if I make it bigger later, as if the Graphics object gets the hDC size only when it's created, and truncates any drawing to that. Is there a way to tell the Graphics object the new width and height? Also, hDC remains the same throughout the life of the control, except when you make the control bigger and AutoRedraw=True(because VB needs to create a bigger bitmap). Whe...

windows 2008 license key
recently we installed windows 2008 std by using the ms select license key, after 2 weeks , system prompt to activate the license key. is it something wrong with the license key or we need to activate the key ? first time installed windows 2008. All Windows 2008 product keys require activation. There's nothing wrong with the license key. You can see license status and partial product key from the command prompt: slmgr -dli slmgr -dlv "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9367BD2D-8823-496D-950B-065A8C0DFD23@microsoft.com... &...

stop auto text movement in document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I have a 1 page (completely full on all margins) document that contains many blanks (made with horizontal lines created as objects). On each line I need to be able to add text (dates and names), but I do not want all other document text to move as I add text to the blanks. I can add the text now, but I then have to carefully delete empty spaces to return all the other document text to its original position. Is there any way to &quot;lock&quot; the original text in place, so that I can &quot;fill in the blanks&quot; ...

Open Multiple Windows in O2k3
Hi, We just upgraded out user base to Outlook 2k3. For the most part it has been taken well, but there are a few individuals with set ways of working that are having an issue. In O2k, they would open Outlook, and then open a seperate window for their calendar, and another for their contacts. They tend to read mail in a full window (and dislike the reading pane with a passion) so they would then toggle between the inbox and calendar by using the task bar icons. I have not found a way to duplicate this behavior in 2k3. Is it possible, or did the re-write to conform to OWA kill t...

GDI handles
In taskmanager I see the amount of used GDI and user objects per process. How can I achieve this using a powershell script on Windows XP using PowerShell 1.0? The result should be a list with all process names, PIDs and amount of used GDI objects. I played with the following: PS H:\> (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName ..).InvokeMethod("GetGuiResources",0) Method invocation failed because [System.Management.ManagementObject#root\cimv2\Win32_OperatingSystem] doesn't contain a method named 'InvokeMethod'. At line:1 char:74 + (G...

window.returnValue not returning value to my CRM form
I am attempting to create a popup dialog box that handles some input that is forced back into the CRM Form and I'm running into problems. I am using window.showModalDialog in my javascript, and passing it some parameters. My dialogArguments argument on the dialog box side ALWAYS comes up undefined, so I can't reference anything on the parent. Also, when I try and send a returnValue of the window, undefined is always returned to the parent form. My window is hosted in the same domain as my CRM installation. Any of you CRM/Javascript gurus got any advice, comments or suggestions for...

Learning Windows Vista
I'm learning to use windows vista and this is my first Newsgroup posting Jeepers . Tell your professor to stop giving you these projects which are flooding these MS servers -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Pedro Vargas" <i1405114@cisnet.laredo.edu> wrote in message news:elsRYZltKHA.4568@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I'm learning to use windows vista and this is my first Newsgroup posting Well, you flunked. Only posts pertaining to the Windows Mail p...

To draw to GDI within a thread
Hello, i have a thread running with a loop of methods, they are drawing to the GDI (not GDI+). But there are no results on screen. It is like i would draw into a null-device. I've tested the following soultion: dont draw itself within a thread, but changing in this thread some parameters and call InvalidateRect. On WM_PAINT my main-program draws with the changed Parameters. But if there are more threads than one, it is very strange what happends. In my draw- and change-routine i've testet EnterCriticalSection and all that, it doesnt matter. When i have a simple thread with a unti...

Unknown error message in Windows Mail
I am getting this message trying to send out messages, An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'That was fun', Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B -- How do I fix this soon. MEricksen Your mail account settings are correct. "Unknown error" is usually caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running? As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off, although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad eff...

Administer exchange 2003 from windows 2000
Is it possible to manage Exchange 2003 from a windows 2000 workstation, is there a Microsoft article that says yes you can or cannot. In the last exciting episode, "Bernard Chouinard" <bchouinard@storm.ca> wrote: >Is it possible to manage Exchange 2003 from a windows 2000 workstation, is >there a Microsoft article that says yes you can or cannot. http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/06/07/150295.aspx -- Chris Scharff MessageOne http://www.messageone.com -- ROT13 for valid SMTP address -- ...

Stopping Messenger Pop Up
I keep getting pop up messages. How do I stop them. I am not that familiar with Outlook. They come from one of two websites. The window that comes up says Messenger at the top This has nothing to do with Outlook. It is the windows messenger service. Sounds like you're getting messenger spam.. Do you have high-speed internet of some kind? Get a firewall, that will prevent it. Check out this article; http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55795,00.html "anthonyw" <anthonyw@ndiusa.com> wrote in message news:57B1BF5B-23A1-4EEC-8CA3-2CC3C2035816@microsoft.com... ...

GDI+ mfc save Bitmap to File Stream
Hi, I am using GDI+ in mfc. I have a file pointer declared as File *fpOut; This file pointer is also used for writing to other text data to the file. I am not sure how to save an image to this file stream. When Bitmap.Save function to save to stream the first parameter is of type IStream and not FILE. Any suggestions on what can be done? Thanks, -Asfar ...

Outlook
Error Message: "The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." This is displayed when trying to set up Outlook with Windows 7. It works perfect with XP using the exact same settings. What version of Microsoft Outlook are you using? "Outlook/Windows 7/Exchange" <Outlook/Windows 7/Exchange@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55FEE65B-92CB-48F1-B3B8-C8276E2875DA@microsoft.com... > Error Message: "The action cannot be completed...

Window Media Player
When I play a Mpeg vidoe clip, I can watch the clip but there is no sound. I am using Version 11 and the technical support information is as follows Windows Media Player Version 11.0.5721.5268 Operating System Version: 5.1.2600 System Locale: en-us Service Pack: 3.0 User Locale: en-au Build Lab: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435 Geo ID: Australia Type: Workstation DRM Version: 11.0.5721.5145 Architecture: x86 Indiv Version: 2.9.0.1 Processors: 2 Media Player Binaries Name Version Name Version Name Version wmp.dll 11.0.5721.5268 wmpband.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpcore.dll 9.0...

How to stop email alerts appearing for a particular folder
Hi people. First off, howdy doody, first post here, I've been using outloo express for about 6 years (i think) and outlook for about 2 years. I have a question. I have the 'alert me of all new emails' optio turned on, so any new mail that comes in, a nice little 'would you lik to read it?' dialogue box comes up. is it possible to stop these alert appearing for a particular folder? (i have a rule set up, so that al junk mail goes to a special folder, and i don't want to be warned o junk mail coming in.) Many thanks! : ----------------------------------------------- ~...

Would you stop for a moment?! #3
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

Error with Windows Mail
I keep getting this: Header download for the '[Gmail]' folder did not complete. Could not select '[Gmail]' on the IMAP server. You might try refreshing your folder list to synchronize with the IMAP server. Account: 'Windows Mail', Server: 'imap.gmail.com', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'Unknown Mailbox: [Gmail] (Failure)', Port: 993, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCCD2 Everything pretty much works fine but how do I get rid of this or do I need to fix something? On the left side, where the folder list is, right-click on the [Gm...

GDI/GDI+ stop drawing after a while on Windows 7
I have an app that I developed some time ago for W2K. The app draws text and graphics onto a CView derived window using GDI+. It also hosts shockwave flash player that occasionally plays a clip in the same window. The app could work 24x7 on W2K and XP. I'm now testing the app on Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm running into a strange problem. After running it for a while - sometimes it could be a couple of hours, another times a couple of days - the app simply stops drawing to the screen. That is, the app still calls the necessary APIs but nothing happens on the screen...

Streaming Video Using GDI+
Hello, I am having trouble trying to stream the pixel data, being feed to the computer by a framegrabber. Using GDI+ i have managed to display the image but it is just one image and nothing more, and the program begin to slow. I cannot see what it is i am doing wrong? Can anybody help me? I feed it the data from the framegrabbers in as InterBuffer. I use the while loop to spit the images to the screen. while(welcome==false){ BYTE* InterBuffer = new BYTE[bufSize]; Rect rect12(0,0,acqWinWidth,acqWinHeight); Rect rc(50,60,abs(acqWinWidt...

Updates stopped
For some reason updates from my bank (WAMU) stopped on 4/3. No useful message. It is the only account that doesn't update and is also the only account that uses the alternate procedure instead of direct polling at update time. Anyone getting this banks updates? Have you contacted your Bank? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message news:e2$wIkQeHHA.3...

draw graph on turnovers of different cos. against years taken
I want to draw a graph compairing the turnover with the years taken to achieve the same by different coompanies ...

Please Help. Windows Update crashed my computer.
Hi everyone! I'm trying to fix my computer (Emachines W5243) with Windows Vista Home SP2 (I think). It was a manual update, 19 were in queue. 1 failed to install. I rebooted the system to re-run Update, but the system would not boot. when it tried to start it showed a black screen with white text asking me to run the repair file (recommended). I did this, = it took me to a blue screen (BLOD) with white text saying: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...... Technical information: ***STOP: 0x0000C1F5 (0x00000000...

Windows Auth. Mode vs. Mixed Mode Auth. For SQL Instance.
I'll install MSCRM On Existing Sql Instance , This instance using Mixed Mode for Authentication and there are other Applications using this Instance so it must be in Mixed mode . My question is : 1- CRM Uses Windows auth. so the SQL Instance must be also Windows Auth. or it's just Recommended ? 2- If it's Must to be Windows Auth. that means i must install SQL Server on another Server Because CRM Can't work on a named Instance , or uninstall the Existing SQL Server and reinstall it with Windows Auth. mode For the CRM ,and install another Named Instance for the other Apps ...

Log in Windows Mail Vista
Dear sir/miss/misses, When I give up my right username and password, Windows Mail won't make aconnection with the server. Do you know a solution for this problem? With kindest regards, Ms. G. Pol "Geerte Pol" <g.pol6@kpnplanet.nl> schreef in bericht news:uErHQ$7iKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Dear sir/miss/misses, > > When I give up my right username and password, Windows Mail won't make > aconnection with the server. Do you know a solution for this problem? > > With kindest regards, > > Ms. G. Pol "Ge...