ReactOS

  • Follow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

http://www.reactos.org

ReactOS (React Operating System) is an open source computer operating system
intended to be binary compatible with application software and device
drivers made for Microsoft Windows NT versions 5.x and up (Windows 2000 and
its successors).

---

VB6 Running on ReactOS
http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshots/2008/ros_034_vb5.jpg

I have tried this and most applications works fine, a bigger threat to MS
than Linux.

0
Reply Abhishek 8/31/2010 5:27:02 AM

Abhishek expressed precisely :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
>
> http://www.reactos.org
>
> ReactOS (React Operating System) is an open source computer operating system
> intended to be binary compatible with application software and device
> drivers made for Microsoft Windows NT versions 5.x and up (Windows 2000 and
> its successors).
>
> ---
>
> VB6 Running on ReactOS
> http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshots/2008/ros_034_vb5.jpg
>
> I have tried this and most applications works fine, a bigger threat to MS
> than Linux.

It's not vb6 but rather vb5.

Reply Leo 8/31/2010 7:02:01 AM

"Leo" <ttdhead@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Abhishek expressed precisely :
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
> >
> > http://www.reactos.org
> > http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshots/2008/ros_034_vb5.jpg
> >
> > I have tried this and most applications works fine, a
> > bigger threat to MS than Linux.
>
> It's not vb6 but rather vb5.
VB6 would work there as well, because also ReactOS
is using the Wine-Layer (this "alternative WinAPI-Dll-Set") -
but other than Wine on a *nix-Kernel - it runs this
"Userland-Stuff" on top of a different, more Win-NT-
like Kernel.

The goal of ReactOS is, to later be able to use and
offer the installation of original Windows-*driver*-
packages (which is not possible on a *nix-Kernel).

Currently (in "Kernel- and Driverland") the LinuxKernel,
running "a Wine on top", offers much more (and stable)
hardware-support (USB, Filesystem, Network, Printers)
than ReactOS (below the Wine-layer).

The "liftoff-point" for ReactOS will be, when more and
more original Win-Driverpackages will start working -
but this point is (IMO) yet a few years away - but they
are moving, slow currently - but they move...

Olaf

0
Reply Schmidt 8/31/2010 10:58:37 AM

Schmidt wrote:
> VB6 would work there as well, because also ReactOS
> is using the Wine-Layer (this "alternative WinAPI-Dll-Set") -
> but other than Wine on a *nix-Kernel - it runs this
> "Userland-Stuff" on top of a different, more Win-NT-
> like Kernel.

It's good that Wine is also being used in ReactOS. I thought it was only
for Linux.
0
Reply Nando 8/31/2010 12:13:18 PM

(page loaded in 2.632 seconds)