How can I reduce the initial ToolTip delay in VB6?

I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
(on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.

(I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
since it is fine in all other respects.)

MM
0
MM

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
> newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
> initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
> (on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.
>
> (I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
> to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
> since it is fine in all other respects.)

I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise every
EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
However, it's possible that Microsoft compiled the tooltip control
statically into the VB runtime. Also, by using Spy++ with a form with two
buttons, VB tooltip window handle remains the same for each tooltip. The
window class is "VBBubble", so you might be able to use some of that
information to get what you want.

0
Nobody
9/10/2010 11:54:34 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:54:34 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
>> newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
>> initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
>> (on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.
>>
>> (I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
>> to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
>> since it is fine in all other respects.)
>
>I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise every
>EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
>However, it's possible that Microsoft compiled the tooltip control
>statically into the VB runtime. Also, by using Spy++ with a form with two
>buttons, VB tooltip window handle remains the same for each tooltip. The
>window class is "VBBubble", so you might be able to use some of that
>information to get what you want.

Google produced several hits for VBBubble, but also this:
http://btmtz.mvps.org/tooltip/

I quickly modified the demo code to add a call to change the initial
delay and bingo! The delay is now 5ms. The tooltip pops up
instantaneously.  However, this is creating a new tool tip, not the
VBBubble one, so I'll research this a bit further in case I find
something more on VBBubble, else I'll just use Brad Martinez's
solution.

Many thanks for the pointers!

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 4:36:26 PM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise
every
: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.

So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS.

0
Kevin
9/10/2010 5:27:38 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:27:38 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise
>every
>: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
>
>So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS.

While it is fairly straightforward to create one's own tooltip, which
I've since done using Brad Martinez's tooltip example, it would be a
lot easier simply to call a Windows API to reset the initial display
for the inbuilt VBBubble tooltip. That 500ms initial delay must exist
SOMEwhere in the OS, but where? It'll almost certainly be a Long.

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 7:48:47 PM
You can send a TTM_SETDELAYTIME to set the delay.

SendMessage Handle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 300

>That 500ms initial delay must exist
> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where?

That place is the registry.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:17:26 -0500, "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>You can send a TTM_SETDELAYTIME to set the delay.
>
>SendMessage Handle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 300
>
>>That 500ms initial delay must exist
>> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where?
>
>That place is the registry.

Do you know where?

MM
0
MM

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...

Can you....
Can you create a text box that pops up when you try to exit excel? would like a box that reminds people to fill out parts of a form whe they try to exit the workbook. Any ideas would be great -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This code goes in the ThisWorkbook section of the VB Editor. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Dim iResponse As Long iResponse = MsgBox("Did you enter everything? Click No to return an finish.", vbYesNo) If iResponse = 7 Then Cancel = True End Sub If the user clicks No, the application will not close. You coul modify...

Can you freeze columns in a list box?
I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a list box? I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the right. "agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AAE32B2-E08F-4F7F-9C5E-8B9CD2F806AE@microsoft.com... >I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on > the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the sa...

Can we Pop Cash drawer without slip printer?
We would like to install a cash drawer and have RMS pop the drawer without using a slip printer with a cash drawer connection port. We currently use an HP Laser printer connected to the serial port of our computer to print full sized receipts and I called Indiana Cash drawer to find out what type of interface we would need to get the program to "pop" the drawer and their support said I need to find out what code the software is sending to the drawer. According to RMS the SL, SLD and EL models are compatible but RMS does not indicate what type of interface is needed short of the OPO...

how can i protect a document so nobody can delete it #2
This question relates to any microsoft documentsand the document i want protecting is Excel. how can i protect it so nobody can delete the document. (the document itself rather than parts of the document) >-----Original Message----- >This question relates to any microsoft documentsand the document i want >protecting is Excel. > >how can i protect it so nobody can delete the document. (the document >itself rather than parts of the document) >. >You can password protect the whole document, so that nobody else can open it. But if it is on a server where other ...

Delayed Delivery !!!
Hi All, Could someone tell me what are the the possible reasons for a delayed delivery ? I think the Firewall plays a role in this. What else can? Regards, Sudharson.AN What type of environment, POP3, IMAP, Exchange etc "Sudharson AN" <meetsudhar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e6jyKpY%23DHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > Could someone tell me what are the the possible reasons for a delayed > delivery ? I think the Firewall plays a role in this. What else can? > > Regards, > > Sudharson.AN > > This happens in POP 3 account....