RPC vs. RPC Out for Linked Servers

When configuring a Linked Server the Server Options tab has check boxes for
RPC and RPC OUT.  Can someone explain why you would or wouldn't need to
enable either of these options?  Thanks!

Tom Ashby - Panam (Tom Ashby - Panam@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> When configuring a Linked Server the Server Options tab has check boxes
> for RPC and RPC OUT.  Can someone explain why you would or wouldn't need
> to enable either of these options?

One of them, has no function at all, as far as I know. The other controls
whether you are permitted to make Remote Procedure Calls over the linked
server. That is, call remote stored procedures or EXEC() AT. I don't
remember which is which, but I think RPC OUT is the useful one.

As for why you would not enable a server for RPC. Hm, beats me. Well, some
data sources may not support RPC, but you need to have a server option to
turn somthing off which does not work anyway. But, OK, if you turn off
RPC OUT, you do reduce what is possible to do on the other side. Or at
least make some thing like updating more difficult.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Linked Excel Field formatting Problem
I am using Access2003 and am trying to link an excel spreadsheet for use in a drop down selector. I have one column (acct#) which contains a lot of numbers, but needs to be a text field (some entries say "TBD" or have hyphenated numbers). Access insists on keeping the column as a numeric field and displays the non-numeric fields as "#Num!". I have tried: formatting the cells as text before linking; putting dummy text data in the first line (abc and 'abc ) before linking; and tried using conversions in a query (CStr, Str, Str$ & Format). I'm out of idea...

Linking Worbooks
I was wondering if there is a way to link workbooks in excel using cells in the filename path. In otherwords if you wanted to create a summary sheet from multiple workbooks, would there be a way to use a cell reference in the name instead of an explicit reference. ie: ='O:\Scope Sheet Templates\[2a - Earthwork.xls]2a'!A and you had in your summary sheet: Column A Column B 2a Earthwork 2b Caissons 2c Asphalt 2d Tennis Courts 2e Pavers 2f Site Concrete 2h Site Utilities Such that you could use an entry from Column A and an entry from Column B to reference the filenam...

leave copy of email message on pop3 server
I need to configure a user id on a laptop running Outlook 2000 so that we can access email when travelling with the laptop, but leave a copy of the email message on the server until I return so that I can get it on my primary desktop computer located in my office. ...

dotnet windows forms vs. Access
I just wonder if I am wasting my time learning VS 2005. I've developed in Access for a long time, and seek out advanced work which invariably requires complex unbound data entry forms connected to a MS SQL back end. Taking a hard look and experimenting with dotnet 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 to see if dotnet Windows forms might be a good alternative for these specific kinds of jobs, so far it doesn't seem so. My impression thus far is it's great for quick and dirty jobs, but not complex ones. What do you guys think? Better to stay with Access and SQL Server or not? Peter I ass...

Mandatory linking to Parent when Outlook contact is tracked in CRM
When a new contact is made in the Outlook client, two additional functions ‘Track in CRM’ button and ‘Parent’ look-up button are available. Pressing the ‘Track in CRM’ button and selection of a parent account ensure that the new contact gets linked to the account and is visible in the account contacts list. However, if the parent account is not selected, then the contact remains ‘orphaned’, which violates a mandatory requirement for us. Is there a way that on selecting ‘Track in CRM’ button in the Outlook client, selection of a parent account be made mandatory? ...

RPC over HTTP problem
I am running an exchange 2003 server in a mixed mode environment (both Exchange and domain environments) and one of the DCs is a windows 2003 DC. I follow the instructions from Microsoft web site to set it up and could not make it to work as it connects only to TCP/IP instead of HTTPS. The only things I could think of probably because I am running in a mixed mode windows 2000 ? or is it because I havenot converted my Exchange 2003 to native mode? Regards Steven Are all of your DC/GCs Windows 2003? (This is a must.) Are you using a certificate from an internal CA or 3rd party to secure...

Why does Edit / Links / Break link crash Excel 2002?
Everytime I try it. Hi what is the exact error message? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2D26ED89-C5FA-4095-AF89-D38A36B201F2@microsoft.com... > Everytime I try it. ...

Server froze at night
Hi: For the first time ever my server froze. The screen was showing the crtl-alt-del login screen, but the keyboard was useless and the maouse was the same. Communications from the internet were dead and trying to contact the server from the LAN was the same. My WM phone could not connect to exchange. I had to press the power button to turn off the server and power it on again. This happened at night. I've been checking the logs and nothing shows, the backup that was running at the time was not completed (is there a log?) Do you have any pointers to where to look? Regards ...

Different smtp Server for Different Locations
I have an account that I use both from home and work. Receiving email from these two locations works just fine. Nevertheless, for sending emails I always have to change the smtp server. For instance at work I have to set the smtp server to ms.[companyname].com whereas at home I have to set it to smtp.[ISP].com. Is there a way around this so that I don't always have to change the smtp for sending emails? Thanks Depends on the firewall settings at home/work. Some ISP's don't allow connections to any other SMTP server other then their own. In this case, there isn't much you ca...

Outlook 2002--HTTP Server Type greyed out
I would like to configure Outlook 2002 to work with my Hotmail account. I am running Win Xp Pro SP1. Using this for reference: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287424 Upon selecting Tools>>>E-mail Accounts>>>Add a new E-mail Account>>>Server Type I find that the HTTP option is greyed out and unselectable. Any ideas? Thank You Yes it is a corporate network. I'll look into the admin-set policies on Monday. Thank you, Diane. >-----Original Message----- >are you using this on a corporate network? You administrator may have >disabled the ability...

Proccess Server
Where can I find detailed setup and configuration information on the DPS and DPM? I have looked through the SystemAdminGuide but it seems a bit condensed. Are there other documents which go into more detail? -- Regards, Andrew At this point, that is all the documentation available. I will be writing new doc on that product within the next two weeks as part of my new Bringing Up Dynamics GP series of books. We hope to have this out in 2 months. Email me directly and I will send you a preliminary copy of those pages for your use on the condition that you give me some feedback as to ...

clicking on a link within an email?
Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always pops up as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this? Thanks, John John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote: > Whenever I click on a link embedded in an email, a dialog box always > pops up as if I were downloading something. How do I get rid of this? I suspect the dialogue box is asking you to locate your Internet browser's executable. Put it's location in the th eproper field of the box and you shouldn't have any trouble. FOr example, MS Internet Explorer is usually C:\...

SMTP server #3
Hi, How do i configure oe to use my smtp server (IIS 5.1) to send out emails? Is that possible? TQ Can your SMTP server send mail to the Internet? If you simply setup a mail account in OE using the Tools menu > Accounts dialog you can configure the account to use your server. That having been said, this newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlook...

Outlook 2007 via RPC
Hi, I have a XP workstation with Office 2007 working fine. If the computer is not a member of any domain, i can connect Outlook to an external RPC, this works fine, the install goes through fine too. If i then make that computer a member of a local Domain(not a member of the Domain that holds the RPC) and then log into that local domain with full supervisor rights I have connection problems.... "Cannot Open your Default e-mail Folders, You must connect to microsoft exchange with the current user profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file&q...

What good are Two Exchange 2003 servers if one fails?
If I have one exchange 2003 of the west cost with 100 users and another on the east with 30 users, can I use the other as a backup if one is down? A local integrator is telling me yes, but he's not sure exactly how this would work exactly. Thanks! no way, unless you've implemented a GeoSpan clustering solution... "admin too" <nguser2u@no.spam.AOL.com> wrote in message news:1092cj3b0fvk06e@news.supernews.com... > If I have one exchange 2003 of the west cost with 100 users and another on > the east with 30 users, can I use the other as a backup if one is down? ...

Break link MS Excel 2000
How can I break a link to another Worksheet in MS Excel 2000? Edit --> Links doesn't have a Break Link option in this version of Excel. I tried Select All --> Copy --> Paste Special --> Values to remove all references to other worksheets. Saved, closed, then re-opened. I'm still being prompted to Update links. I don't have access to the original worksheets this MS Excel document is linked to. Help! Hi PetroChris Use FindLink (great add-in) http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "PetroChris" <P...

CRM and SQL on separate Servers
What is the recommended configuration for MSCRM and SQL? Is it best to have them on the same server or separated? We were going to move the SQL database to another server dedicated for the CRM SQL DB's. The current server has plenty of horse power dual Xeon 2.8 GHz/2GB/RAID5. It would be moved to a server of the same specs, but single Proc. Sean; The recommended configuration is for SQL to be on a separate server, with MSCRM being on its own web server/s. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the main one is performance. Optimally, the SQL Server would have 3+GB of RAM and th...

Outgoing email using Exchange or another SMTP server
Hi all I have Exchange 2007 in my organisation in the same domain as my CRM server. We also have an Exchange 2003 server in a seperate forest with a bi-directional trust to the original forest (which seem to be functioing nicely). Ideally I would like to be able to set up the email router on the 2003 machine and get it to handle the incoming email on the Exchange 2007 box. My understadning is that I just need to install the router on the Exchange 2003 box, however I am unclear about a couple of details on this. Can I confirm a couple of things: when I put in an xchange mailbox to use, t...

Link to a table and display on a grid
I created a form and link to a table. How do I link the table records to a grid for display, add, delete and modify? "Alan T" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:uD%23s44tlHHA.4852@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I created a form and link to a table. > How do I link the table records to a grid for display, add, delete and > modify? > You can set the form to Datasheet view, which looks a lot like a spreadsheet. Carl Rapson Can I decorate the datasheet view? I see it is quite plain with the datasheet occupies the whole form. "Carl Rapson&q...

Conditional formating an entire row vs. only one cell
I have 400 rows of data. There are four columns that contain any one of five different key letters (R, NR, O, U, NA). What I want to do is that everytime a letter such as NR shows up in any of the four columns, the entire row has a conditional format applied. When I do "Cell Is", the conditional format is only applied to the one cell that meets the condition even if I have the entire row(s) highlighted when I create the conditional format. I tried to find similar posts to help but have not been successful. Using Excel 2003. Highlight all your data (assuming you have start...

With-in one workbook I am trying to link several spreadsheets� entries into one colum
I have one spreadsheet titled "Collections" and another titled "Customer Service." The last spreadsheet is titled "Resources." Each spreadsheet has every day of the year listed in column A1 down. My goal is that if any entry (like the name Chuck) is made into any cell(s) - other than the dated cells - on Training 1 &/or 2 that entry is populated into a specific column on the Resource spreadsheet. In other words: I want the entry �Chuck� in E10 on the Collection spreadsheet to populate in B10 on the Resource spreadsheet. I want the entry �Chuck� in C22 on...

RPC over HTTP setup help. RPC DIag returns no results.
I have been trying for several weeks to get RPC over HTTP workign in our environment. I refuse to put an ISA in place and am currently behing a Pix 520 ( which is not the issue, all logs show no denied traffic) I also see no error logs in either of my Exchange servers. Please any help is appreciated. From my Front end Server I see the followign when running RPCDIAG ** Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp. C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>rpcdump /p ncacn_http Querying Endpoint Mapper Database... RpcMgmtEpEltInqNext:(Access is denied....

links #2
Who knows a way to un-link those links in a sheet? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can convert them to values. If you have xl2002 (or higher???), you can edit|links|Break link. In earlier versions, you can copy|paste special values. And to help find those pesky links: Bill Manville's findlink.zip from: http://www.BMSLtd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm won...

Products linked to "Microsoft Outlook Help" from Portugal?
I have aq problem with "dulpicate emails" in Outlook 2003 so I click on the "Microsoft Outlook Help" and saw the link to a "Duplicate Email Remover." After clicking on the link, I was sent to a page where I can purchace the "add on." After my purchase, I received a message that it might take 36 hours to get an email for instructions to download the product since this "person" is in Portugal. I thougt that I was purchacing a product from Microsoft or one of their affiliates. I recommend that you check out the "Microsoft Outlook Hel...