how do i stop a maintenance plan?

I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too long to run and it affects production for the
following morning.  I can see and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task starts and i have to
kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it has started?

thanks

sqlserver 2005
1
Dan

Manually, or automatically?

SSMS has a right-click menu on the job, but that is manual.

--
Jay Konigsberg
SQL Server DBA in Sacramento, CA

Live in Sacramento, CA?
Join the Sacramento SQL Server User Group on LinkedIn
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2825448&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Emyg

"Dan Holmes" <dan.holmes@routematch.com> wrote in message
>I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too
>long to run and it affects production for the following morning.  I can see
>and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task starts
>and i have to kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it has started?
>
> thanks
>
> sqlserver 2005

0
Jay
3/11/2010 2:53:17 PM
Dan,

Does this happen on certain days of the week? If you knew what caused it to
run longer you could schedule differently.

Chris

"Dan Holmes" <dan.holmes@routematch.com> wrote in message
>I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too
>long to run and it affects production for the following morning.  I can see
>and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task starts
>and i have to kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it has started?
>
> thanks
>
> sqlserver 2005

0
Chris
3/11/2010 6:50:45 PM
Dan,

This is a bit of a sledge hammer but....

You could also get a list of running jobs at 6:00 AM (pick your target
time here), if any of the jobs are the ones created by the maint plan,
then execute a sp_stop_job against it.  It will finish up the last
piece it was working on but then should die.  if you had to you could
just execute a sp_stop_job for each of the jobs in the maint plan.
Not sure if it will fail or jot if the job is not running.  Test test
test!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260308%28SQL.80%29.aspx

my 2 cents!

David Hay

On Mar 11, 9:38=A0am, Dan Holmes <dan.hol...@routematch.com> wrote:
> I have a maintenance plan that runs every night. =A0Sometimes it takes to=
o long to run and it affects production for the
> following morning. =A0I can see and kill the process it is currently runn=
ing but then the next task starts and i have to
> kill that too. =A0How can i stop the thing once it has started?
>
> thanks
>
> sqlserver 2005

0
David
3/11/2010 9:13:12 PM
Dan Holmes (dan.holmes@routematch.com) writes:
> I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too
> long to run and it affects production for the following morning.  I can
> see and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task
> starts and i have to kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it
> has started?

Maybe you should review what the Mgmt Plans are doing altogether? Are
you rebuilding too many indexes? You are not shrinking databases, I hope?

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/11/2010 10:28:35 PM
> Maybe you should review what the Mgmt Plans are doing altogether? Are
> you rebuilding too many indexes? You are not shrinking databases, I hope?

+1

--

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Dan Holmes (dan.holmes@routematch.com) writes:
>> I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too
>> long to run and it affects production for the following morning.  I can
>> see and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task
>> starts and i have to kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it
>> has started?
>
> Maybe you should review what the Mgmt Plans are doing altogether? Are
> you rebuilding too many indexes? You are not shrinking databases, I hope?
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Jay
3/11/2010 11:00:36 PM
+1

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

"Jay Konigsberg" <spam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Maybe you should review what the Mgmt Plans are doing altogether? Are
>> you rebuilding too many indexes? You are not shrinking databases, I hope?
>
> +1
>
> --
> Jay Konigsberg
> SQL Server DBA in Sacramento, CA
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jaykonigsberg
>
> Live in Sacramento, CA?
> Join the Sacramento SQL Server User Group on LinkedIn
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2825448&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Emyg
>

> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
>> Dan Holmes (dan.holmes@routematch.com) writes:
>>> I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too
>>> long to run and it affects production for the following morning.  I can
>>> see and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task
>>> starts and i have to kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it
>>> has started?
>>
>> Maybe you should review what the Mgmt Plans are doing altogether? Are
>> you rebuilding too many indexes? You are not shrinking databases, I hope?
>>
>> --
>> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>>
>> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
>> SQL 2008: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
>> SQL 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
>> SQL 2000:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

0
Tibor
3/12/2010 7:52:50 AM
Agreed.  Maintenance plans should be avoided and you should control
everything that you MIGHT want/need to do with them using TSQL scripts and
Agent jobs.  A quick engagement with a consultant can get you where you need
to be in short order.  Or Ola Hallengren has a WONDERFUL collection of free
TSQL scripts that you can use to control all major maintenance activies.
http://ola.hallengren.com/

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Dan Holmes (dan.holmes@routematch.com) writes:
>> I have a maintenance plan that runs every night.  Sometimes it takes too
>> long to run and it affects production for the following morning.  I can
>> see and kill the process it is currently running but then the next task
>> starts and i have to kill that too.  How can i stop the thing once it
>> has started?
>
> Maybe you should review what the Mgmt Plans are doing altogether? Are
> you rebuilding too many indexes? You are not shrinking databases, I hope?
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

TheSQLGuru

stops responding

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

recipient policy stopped working

Employee Additional Information Maintenance Window
Two different users, both in the same class, are seeing different versions of the Employee Additional Information Maintenance window. One user will see the "Cash Account From" box, and the other will not. Can someone explain how to correct this? I assume that the "Cash Account From" box is NOT visible visually and not only disabled. If this is the case, your Employee Additional Information Maintenance might have been customized. Do you see a "." beside the window name? If you see one for one of the users and not for the other then one user has been given a...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

How to add and Vendor to Item Maintenance window
Hi Everyone, I am trying to use Modifier to add some fields to the Item Maintenance window: The last cost the item was recieved, the qty that was recieved, date, and vendor name. I understand that you have to use Modifier and VBA to add fields that aren't in the linked tables but how exactly do I go about it in VBA? Can someone help me with the steps and the VBA code needed to do this? You will need to modify the Item Card window and add your new fields, then you will need to add your modified window to VBA and query the database for data loading. Learn more about VBA a...

Would you stop for a moment?!
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

"Database Maintenance Required" error on startup
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange My boss uses OfM Entourage 2008. Whenever he opens Entourage 2008 the error pops up &quot;Database Maintenance Required&quot; and closes the client asking to send the error message to MS. he clicks &quot;yes&quot; then tries again. <br><br>I did a little research, the db could be currupt. He has started the repair process and it reports taking 3-4 hours. I suggested that from the other articles I have read it might be a good idea to compact it since he perf...

Stop
I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a deposited item. I made one bank deposit for the combined amount. When it cleared, I matched it against the two items and all seemed fine. Problem is that every day Money shows the item again as an unmatched item and I have to delete it constantly. I realise this system isn't to well written, but is there any way to have this not show up. After all it was matched and accepted once. In microsoft.public.money, John Barnes wrote: >I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a &g...

Sending and Receiving Email stops after installing Exchange 2003 SP1
I've installed Exchange 2003 SP1 and sending and receiving email has stopped. All services are running. Messages seem to be in the local delivery queue. Any suggestions? Thanks. I've been fighting the same thing. Users get -- 800ccc0f or 8004210 Machine is DC, running ADC --- HELP ! ! ! Hi Dan Had same problem, try to stop all Exchange and web (IIS especialy) manualy. ' Then reinstalle PS1, it solved my problem. Carsten "Dan" <dslaby.no2spam@evergreeninfo.biz> wrote in message news:<Ov0nh5DREHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>... > I've install...

How can I stop all numeric entries from being devided by 100?
In a new and existing sheets, all numeric entries are being devided by 100. Tools-Options-Edit-Enable automatic percent entry is turned off. go to tools-options-edit and uncheck "fixed decimal places" Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E7AFFC7-F58F-4691-8F98-30CF105D5C28@microsoft.com... > In a new and existing sheets, all numeric entries are being devided by > 100. > Tools-Options-Edit-Enable automatic percent entry is turned off. Tools>Options>Edit, uncheck the Fixed decimal box -...

how do you stop spam?
I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2 installed. We have around 40 employees in the company and they have been complaining about spam. Desktops are running Outlook 2000. Is there a way to stop spam without installing a third party software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. there is an open source one available. i think it is on sourceforge.net. search for smtp. mike "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ujtLb2riEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2...

Hotmail accts stopped working?
My Hotmail accts stopped working in Outlook Express 6 and regular Outlook (XP first, then I upgraded to 2003 beta 2) about a month ago. OE says "Authorization Required" but the password is definitely correct since I access the accts daily via the web on the same machine. Maybe something screwed up in the registry or possibly an encryption DLL... anyone have any ideas? thanks! -- ---------------------------------- To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master, become the master. - Ancient Zen poem that is th...

Auto-stop feature?
I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD drive doesn't run all night). I have the feature on my TV's DVD player, so I assume it is something that can also be done on my computer. I just can't figure out how. On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:00:01 -0700, hlagas <hlagas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have >Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD ...

spell check stopped working in emails
using outlook 2007 and all of a sudden spell checker does not identify misspelled words, however is show a nmessage box "spell check complete" ...

Outlook 2002 stops responding when viewing hotmail
Lately whenever I try to view my hotmail with Outlook 2002, Outlook stops responding. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it is still hanging every time I try to open or view a hotmail message. My other mail accounts are OK. It did not do this originally. I have been unable to find any information on this in the knowledge base. Did you do anything to your PC, i.e. install OS patches or anything? I've recently experienced problems with Outlook recieving SMTP mail as well, and the only thing that changed was the installation of some critical security patches to the O...

Outlook has stopped working #3
I am not at all knowledgeable about this so I am hoping you will have patience with me as I learn. Thanks in advance. I tried to get into my mail yesterday and it would not open. Hesitated for a couple of minutes and then shut down and a box came up. I am going to type what was in the box in hopes someone can help me understand it: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file. C:\Users\Teresa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, an...

Stop
In row 1 I have my column names. What I want is to be able to scroll through my spreadsheet without having this row move so when I am at the bottom of my spreadsheet I can still tell what column I am working with. I tried adjusting the scoll on the right top side but when I pull the page to the top I get double columns and names?? Click in A2, and then, <Window> <Freeze Panes> Here's an old post that might help explain: http://tinyurl.com/2qdzt -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence withi...

How to stop Media Player from changing playlist names?
How can I stop Windows Media Player from changing my playlist names by inserting a "My Playlist - " in front of the name I give to the playlist? For example, if I name a playlist "ABC" the next time I start up WMP, I find it now has a name of "My Playlist - ABC". I rename it back to ABC but then the next time I start it up, it's back to My Playlist - ABC. Any idea why this is happening and how I can make it stop? Using WMP 11 on Win XP. TIA. I have never seen WMP doing this, so it's probably caused by a third party program or plug-i...

stop the rounding
I'm using Access 2007. I have a very small business & am trying to use access for payroll/hours. When I enter hours with decimal (ie" 7.5), it automatically rounds to the next number. If I set the property for text, I cant sum the column. I need to "turn off" the rounding feature by whatever means & still be able to do mathematical calculations on that column. Can anyone help?? On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:04:01 -0800, MonaOH wrote: > I'm using Access 2007. I have a very small business & am trying to use > access for payroll/hours. Whe...