DEADLOCK_ENUM_MUTEX and SQL Server Data Collector

I recently implemented the Performance Datawarehouse on our production server
after running it in our test environment for months with no problems. I am
currently only collecting the 3 basic collection sets. Today 2 'SQL Server
Data Collector' spids got hung and will not rollback. Normally the collection
jobs take about 1.5minutes according to the log. Today though, the
QueryStatisticscollection job was running for over 30minutes and causing the
ActivityMonitor to error. I stopped the collection sets and the associated
jobs. This did nothing to alleviate the problem. The spids that are hung are
reporting a lastwaittype of 'DEADLOCK_ENUM_MUTEX'--they are in a
'killed/rollback' state but are not doing so. This waittype means: Occurs
when the deadlock monitor and sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks try to make sure that
SQL Server is not running multiple deadlock searches at the same time.

I have read the article 'Troubleshooting the Data collector'
( but it has not
really helped. There are no errors in the Datacollector logs. It appears that
the same collection set is running twice when viewing the logs  and has not
stopped and the spids are not rolling back. I have searched for any
dcexec.exe processes running on the server as well as any of the
Datacollector SSIS packages running and there are none.

Is there a way for these spids to die gracefully? I can't really stop and
start the sql agent at this time which I suspect may be one way to do this.
These spids appear to be causing issues when trying to use the
ActivityMonitor since it uses the sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks DMV to show data.
Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!

How to re-associate mailboxes to Master Exchange Server
I recently had a bad crash, Ironically due to the latest Arcserve 11.5 software bug. I reinstalled Exchange 2K3 with SP2 on Win2K3 SP1 I have a secondary Exchange server that I replicate to with XoSoft However when I try to replicate with Exosoft I get the following error relating to my Exchange server configuration. Warning message reads: Network traffic is directed to host Email, but mailboxes are assigned to host Dc2 Does anybody no where I can find how to re-associate the mailboxes with my Host server EMAIL? Is this an AD thing? Thanks in advance On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:49:22 -0...

Excel array truncates data
Can someone more intelligent than me help with this? I'm using the following array to match firstname, surname and set and retrieve some data as a result: =INDEX('[ICT GCSE.xls]2011'!BR$4:BR$92,MATCH(1,('[ICT GCSE.xls]2011'!$C $4:$C$92=Progress!$D$3)*('[ICT GCSE.xls]2011'!$B$4:$B$92=Progress!$D $5)*('[ICT GCSE.xls]2011'!$F$4:$F$92=Progress!$D$7),0)) The problem is the data return is truncated to 255 characters but I need to return up to 1000 characters or possibly higher. Can this be done? I bet it's returning 255 characters when the sending workbook ...

SQL backup corrupted or unreadable
I did a backup of a 36GB SQL database to a USB hard drive, which completed successfully. When I went to copy that backup to my archive server, at around 40% it errored aaying the file was unreadable or corrupted. Of course, I had already deleted the database since I needed room on my server and thought I had a good backup. I've tried everything I know, including trying to undelete the databse files from the server, which found nothing and running chkdsk on the USB drive. Of course, when I did that, it showed the file as having 0 KB! So am I hosed or what? is there anything e...

Server 2000 not connecting Home Directory
I have Dell XP sp3 laptops connected to a Windows 2000 server domain with Active directory. Most of the time when users log in to the system using a wireless connection, they lose their home directory which I have set up for them. I set up the home dirictory in their profiles, I do not have them in log in scripts. It does not appear to be switch related the disconnects are random. I can remap the drive and it will connect back to their folder. Also if i connect them using ethernet cable I can get the network folder to connect almost every time. Neither of these is a workable soluti...

how read data downloaded on cd-rw, now show only code?
I downloaded written data from computer (e-mails) to cd-rw. Want to know how when put it in computer can get it so I can read it. It now looks like code You should never save a file to removable data. SAVE>copy to cd copy from cd to HD> USE -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software "turbobucs" <> wrote in message > I downloaded written data from computer (e-mails) to cd-rw. Want to know how > when put it in computer can get it so I can read it. It now looks like...

SQL 2008
Hi all, I'm currently studying SQL server with a view to take exam 70-432 soon. I'm looking at the chapter on Policy-Based Management and I came across something which I hope someone here can explain. While I was reading around the subject of policies, I found a couple of places gave an example of implementing a policy to ensure that table names follow a naming convention and prevent any tables from being created that don't adhere to the policy: and a video here covering the same thing:

SQL Opt. SOP Integration
This is for the Sales Order integration in Integration Manager. I would like to see the SQL Opt. integration be able to do all of the same sales types that the non-SQL Opt. SOP integration can do (i.e. Returns). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://...

How to save outgoing messages on IMAP server?
Folks: In Outlook (2003), what do I need to set so that outgoing messages are not just saved on user's local machine, but also (or instead) are saved on the IMAP server in (say) an "Outbox" folder, (so that the user can view those messages regardless of which client they're using). Thanks, Graham Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] <> wrote: > In Outlook (2003), what do I need to set so that outgoing messages > are not just saved on user's local machine, but also (or instead) are > saved on the IMAP server in (say) an "Outbox" f...

Losing Connectivity with Exchange Server
Hello I am currently running Exchange Server 5.5 on my NT 4.0 box. For some reason I constantly running out of this disk space. What is causing this and how can I resovle this issue Thanks Are you doing full or incremental Exchange aware backups? -- Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Kris" <> wrote in message news:2B6ACCE0-128E-4244-BB16-A3EC450E...

Sorting data on button click
Hi guys ! I have one sheet with cca 400 rows, divided in columns like name, date, location, number etc. Now, what i want to do is to create something like in windows explorer. One "menu" where you can click on name, size, type, date modified etc. and on click, columns should be sorted ascending or descending. The same as in windows explorer.... How to make this ? John, You can do this by applying the autofilter to the sheet. Select a cell in the region of the list/table and click Data/Filter/AutoFilter. You now have dropdowns for each column. If you scro...

Optimizer on SQL 2005
I ran dbcc updateusage ('demodb'). I than ran dbcc show_statistics ('location', 'ix_phone'). The update date (statistics update date) remained old. Why? Why weren't statistics updated? BTW.. I have auto update statistics set to on. Thanks in advance DBCC UPDATEUSAGE doesn't update statistics. It only updates the info SQL Server keeps about number of rows, pages and such. To update statistics you use the UPDATE STATISTICS command. -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Data not showing on my chart
OK, you will will probably be laughing about this at the water cooler over the next couple of days, but my data is not showing up on my chart! I'm sure it's something really stupid I overlooked - Charts are my weak area, but I've done several in the past just fine. I checked my source data three times now - - Each series name (from the row labels), and corresponding data for the series value is all accounted for. - Each column header shows in my category (X) axis. - My value (Y) axis is there as well. Basically - all series names and category (X) axis & value (Y) axis l...

sql server 2005 and BP 2.5
Is it posible to install bp 2.5 against a sql server 2005 server. Great Plains 8. Can't upgrade yet. thaks, Business Portal Release 2.5 is not supported with Microsoft SQL Server 2005. See below link for further information: Hope this helps, rc "jccondor" wrote: > Is it posible to install bp 2.5 against a sql server 2005 server. > > Great Plains 8. Can't upgrade yet. > > thaks, ...

Transfer / combining Excel data
I have a data worksheet created in excel with a column containing 5 digit serial numbers, up to 300 diferent serial numbers (in individual rows). I have the data sorted in assending order based on serial number column. Serial numbers are random and not consecutive (ie. 05943, 05944, 05945, 05968, 05988 etc..) 1) I need to be able to select all the serials and transfer them to another worksheet in excel, placing them in one cell, table, or ? - for purpose of issuing a certification to our customer listing all the serial shipped- is this possible? 2) If they can be in be transfered, i...

reading data into a structure
This question may be a little off for an MFC group, but most of my questions are in this group, so perhaps you can let me get away with it In my app, I want to read data from a wav file, and put the header information into a structure... typedef struct int chunkID long chunkSize short wFormatTag unsigned short wChannels unsigned long dwSamplesPerSec unsigned long dwAvgBytesPerSec unsigned short wBlockAlign unsigned short wBitsPerSample int ChunkID long ChunkSize; } FormatChunk I need to retrieve the wBitsPerSample so that I can determine...

C# for SQL Data Transfer
This is really more of an SQL question but I'm doing the client-side coding in C# so I figured it would make sense to post it here. I'd like to export some portion of data from an SQL database to a file, then import that data to a different database which has the same structure. I've googled high and low and come up with a bunch of different options, all of which seem to be more complicated than I was hoping this would be. The most common solution seems to be exporting to XML (easy) and then using either an updategram or diffgram to import the data (never used either ...

Entering Interest Only ARM mortgage data into MM2005
How do I enter the data correctly in MM 2005 for my loan type. I have not been able to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated! See There is an update coming to this one as soon as I get to it, but it won't change the substance of the answer. The update will refer to;en-us;893719. "Jason Stout" <Jason> wrote in message > How do I enter the data correctly in MM 2005 for my loan type....

Client / Server App.
I am relatively new to C++ and have no experience of network programming. I need to produce a simple client server app, where the client can invoke a process on the server and retrieve data back from that process. I started looking at RPC through the platform SDK. Looks a bit heavy for someone with my experience. It was suggested I look into CSocket, however I came accross negative comments on other forums. What is the recognised 'best prctice' as far as techniques that I ought to be looking at ? Thanks. There are many ways to write client/server apps; this depeneds on the...

sql 2008 table partitioning
We've recently installed SQL 2008 Ent. and are thinking about using SQL's table partitioning. We've read the document about partitioning from Microsoft's website and we're looking for feedback from anyone that is using it. It seems as if we essentially create the partitioning function and we're off to the races. I know that is simplifying things a lot, but in essence we think that's what we do. We're looking at partitioning a table that will have about 800 million records/year, and partitioning seems to be the answer rather than archiving/delet...

Data Points in Scatter Chart
Is there a way to offset data series in a scatter chart so that they do not overlap each other? Most probably, yes. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <>, says... > Is there a way to offset data series in a scatter chart so that they do not > overlap each other? > I fudged a jitter type chart recently using the randbetween() function. For X values between say 0 and 30, I added the...

Hide connection string in SQL pass through
Hi, We are using MS access front end to a Oracle back end database. A number of the forms use pass-through queries. We are using a global user name and password to create the pass-throughs so that all users can access the data. However that user name and password is visible in the pass-through. Is there any way to hide login information in the connection string ? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Thangam ...

Aggregating Data
I have a table called Observations which has a field called JOBTITLE. In this field we list various types of MDs, RNs, HAs, etc. Most of my reports require that I report this out separately. However, I have a new report that requires me to lump some job titles together. For example: MD and ARNP will now be called Provider; RNs, MAs and HAs will now have the delightful name RN-MA-HA. I have written into the JOBTITLE some rules for combing MDs and ARNPs; however I can't seem to get it to go further and lump the RN-MA-HAs. Provider: IIf([JobTitle] Like "MD" O...

Should I install Oulook on my Exchange Server?
I once read a Microsoft TechNet paper that you should never install Outlook on your Exchange server. Anyone know where I can find that paper? Thanks for your help. Clayton Hi Clayton, Microsoft does not recommend installing Exchange Server and Outlook on the same computer: -- Regards, Marina Microsoft SBS-MVP One of the Magical M&M's "Clayton Sutton" <> schreef in bericht news:uelk8646EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I once read a Microsoft TechNet paper that you should never install Outlook > on y...

Data 4 decimal
Hi There: 2 questions (a) How can I make cell values in a range to 4 decimal. Not formatting. have cell values in very big decimal. How can I change them to decimal. Say range("A10:E10").... (2) I am using a formula in a range to set the its values. Say range("B10:D10).formular1c1="=(rc[-1]-rc[-2])*100/rc[-2]" Again I am getting huge big 1 decimal values. how can I get values upt 4 decimal point. Can I put a format inside this formula. or there i other way -- jesmi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jesmin's Profile: http:/...

Counting data in a spreadsheet
I just need to do a count on the data below: Any client # that begins with JE - I need to know the total # of JE's for each day of the year. For the JO clients - I need to know the total # for each day of the year - but divided into 3 different time periods - anything between 0701 - 1500 or 1501 - 2300, or 2301 - 0700. Can anyone help me? Client # TIME DATE JO01804/03 855 20-Dec-2003 JO01822/03 1141 20-Dec-2003 JO01825/03 1431 20-Dec-2003 JO01826/03 1551 20-Dec-2003 JO0183/03 753 23-Dec-2003 JO0187/03 809 23-Dec-2003 JO0124/03 834 23-Dec-2003 JO0189/03 1038 23-Dec-2003 JO0186/03 12...