SharePoint default page not loading

  • Follow

Hi,

After installing WSS 3.0 I find that I cant browse SharePoint 80 or
SharePoint Central Administration v3 using the URL I set
(http://webserver2/). It gives a 'Cannot display the webpage' error in IE. If
I want to view either of these I have to specifically type:

http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx to view the SharePoint 80 site and..
http://<IPAddress of server>:port/default.aspx to view central admin.

In Alternate Access Mapping I have http://webserver2 already listed for both
the sharepoint and central admin however the problem still remains.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before and know how to fix it? Any help that
can be given would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 1/6/2010 11:00:01 AM

Do you have a proper DNS entry for the site?

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"Mehdis" <Mehdis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> After installing WSS 3.0 I find that I cant browse SharePoint 80 or
> SharePoint Central Administration v3 using the URL I set
> (http://webserver2/). It gives a 'Cannot display the webpage' error in IE.
> If
> I want to view either of these I have to specifically type:
>
> http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx to view the SharePoint 80 site
> and..
> http://<IPAddress of server>:port/default.aspx to view central admin.
>
> In Alternate Access Mapping I have http://webserver2 already listed for
> both
> the sharepoint and central admin however the problem still remains.
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour before and know how to fix it? Any help
> that
> can be given would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

0
Reply Daniel 1/6/2010 4:49:09 PM

Hi Daniel, thanks for your reply and suggestion. This is a fresh install and
webserver2 is the name of the actual computer. After installation, WSS setup
attempts to open the central admin page for me to configure but it fails with
the error saying it cant load the webpage. I've setup wss on another machine
and it loads central administration and the sharepoint pages fine without the
need of me adding anything to DNS....so not sure where the problem is....Also
this is using IIS 7 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise. Any more
suggestions/ideas?

Many thanks

"Daniel A. Galant" wrote:

> Do you have a proper DNS entry for the site?
>
> --
> Daniel A. Galant
>
> Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.
>
> "Mehdis" <Mehdis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > After installing WSS 3.0 I find that I cant browse SharePoint 80 or
> > SharePoint Central Administration v3 using the URL I set
> > (http://webserver2/). It gives a 'Cannot display the webpage' error in IE.
> > If
> > I want to view either of these I have to specifically type:
> >
> > http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx to view the SharePoint 80 site
> > and..
> > http://<IPAddress of server>:port/default.aspx to view central admin.
> >
> > In Alternate Access Mapping I have http://webserver2 already listed for
> > both
> > the sharepoint and central admin however the problem still remains.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this behaviour before and know how to fix it? Any help
> > that
> > can be given would be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.

0
Reply Utf 1/7/2010 10:02:01 AM

On Jan 7, 10:02=A0am, Mehdis <Meh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel, thanks for your reply and suggestion. This is a fresh install =
and
> webserver2 is the name of the actual computer. After installation, WSS se=
tup
> attempts to open the central admin page for me to configure but it fails =
with
> the error saying it cant load the webpage. I've setup wss on another mach=
ine
> and it loads central administration and the sharepoint pages fine without=
 the
> need of me adding anything to DNS....so not sure where the problem is....=
Also
> this is using IIS 7 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise. Any more
> suggestions/ideas?
>
> Many thanks
>

> "Daniel A. Galant" wrote:
> > Do you have a proper DNS entry for the site?
>
> > --
> > Daniel A. Galant
>
> > Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.
>
> > "Mehdis" <Meh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
>
> > > After installing WSS 3.0 I find that I cant browse SharePoint 80 or
> > > SharePoint Central Administration v3 using the URL I set
> > > (http://webserver2/). It gives a 'Cannot display the webpage' error i=
n IE.
> > > If
> > > I want to view either of these I have to specifically type:
>
> > > http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx to view the SharePoint 80 s=
ite
> > > and..
> > > http://<IPAddress of server>:port/default.aspx to view central admin.
>
> > > In Alternate Access Mapping I havehttp://webserver2already listed for
> > > both
> > > the sharepoint and central admin however the problem still remains.
>
> > > Has anyone seen this behaviour before and know how to fix it? Any hel=
> > > that
> > > can be given would be highly appreciated.
>
> > > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Are you trying to view the site whilst logged on to the server? If so,
I've come across this lots of times, mostly with Server 2008. You need
to implement this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861. Don't let
the out of date technology references put you off. If the serer can
see the internet then the 'Let MS fix it for me' works well.
0
Reply KPS 1/7/2010 11:33:56 AM

Hi KPS,

Thanks for this. However my problem isnt HTTP 401.1 - Unauthorized: Logon
Failed problem. I'm getting a HTTP 404 Not Found. When the page loads it even
asks for mt username and password but still fails to load the page. I have to
enter http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx

Will this fix still solve it?

Thanks again

"KPS" wrote:

> On Jan 7, 10:02 am, Mehdis <Meh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hi Daniel, thanks for your reply and suggestion. This is a fresh install and
> > webserver2 is the name of the actual computer. After installation, WSS setup
> > attempts to open the central admin page for me to configure but it fails with
> > the error saying it cant load the webpage. I've setup wss on another machine
> > and it loads central administration and the sharepoint pages fine without the
> > need of me adding anything to DNS....so not sure where the problem is....Also
> > this is using IIS 7 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise. Any more
> > suggestions/ideas?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >

> > "Daniel A. Galant" wrote:
> > > Do you have a proper DNS entry for the site?
> >
> > > --
> > > Daniel A. Galant
> >
> > > Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.
> >
> > > "Mehdis" <Meh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Are you trying to view the site whilst logged on to the server? If so,
> I've come across this lots of times, mostly with Server 2008. You need
> to implement this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861. Don't let
> the out of date technology references put you off. If the serer can
> see the internet then the 'Let MS fix it for me' works well.
> .

0
Reply Utf 1/8/2010 11:42:02 AM

The disableloopbackcheck should do it.

--

> Hi KPS,
>
> Thanks for this. However my problem isnt HTTP 401.1 - Unauthorized: Logon
> Failed problem. I'm getting a HTTP 404 Not Found. When the page loads it
> even
> asks for mt username and password but still fails to load the page. I have
> enter http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx
>
> Will this fix still solve it?
>
> Thanks again
>
> "KPS" wrote:
>
>> On Jan 7, 10:02 am, Mehdis <Meh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Daniel, thanks for your reply and suggestion. This is a fresh
>> > install and
>> > webserver2 is the name of the actual computer. After installation, WSS
>> > setup
>> > attempts to open the central admin page for me to configure but it
>> > fails with
>> > the error saying it cant load the webpage. I've setup wss on another
>> > machine
>> > and it loads central administration and the sharepoint pages fine
>> > without the
>> > need of me adding anything to DNS....so not sure where the problem
>> > is....Also
>> > this is using IIS 7 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise. Any more
>> > suggestions/ideas?
>> >
>> > Many thanks

>> Are you trying to view the site whilst logged on to the server? If so,
>> I've come across this lots of times, mostly with Server 2008. You need
>> to implement this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861. Don't let
>> the out of date technology references put you off. If the serer can
>> see the internet then the 'Let MS fix it for me' works well.
>> .

0
Reply Daniel 1/13/2010 5:36:24 AM

Hi again,

I modified the registry for DisableLoopbackCheck but it didnt work. I still
have to type default.aspx to get the page up. I had a look at the hosts file
too but it seems fine.

Any more thoughts?

0
Reply Utf 1/13/2010 11:51:01 AM

Not really, sorry.

--

> Hi again,
>
> I modified the registry for DisableLoopbackCheck but it didnt work. I
> still
> have to type default.aspx to get the page up. I had a look at the hosts
> file
> too but it seems fine.
>
> Any more thoughts?
>

> "Daniel A. Galant" wrote:
>
>> The disableloopbackcheck should do it.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel A. Galant
>>
>> Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.
>>
>> "Mehdis" <Mehdis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi KPS,
>> >
>> > Thanks for this. However my problem isnt HTTP 401.1 - Unauthorized:
>> > Logon
>> > Failed problem. I'm getting a HTTP 404 Not Found. When the page loads
>> > it
>> > even
>> > asks for mt username and password but still fails to load the page. I
>> > have
>> > enter http://<IPAddress of server>/default.aspx
>> >
>> > Will this fix still solve it?
>> >
>> > Thanks again

0
Reply Daniel 1/16/2010 9:15:37 PM

I managed to get this sorted with the help of MS support. Turns out there was
an issue with IIS. Somehow the handler mapping for 'wildcard' broke. The
easiest fix was to add my own 'Wildcard Script Map' with the details:

Executable: <path to aspnet_isapi.dll>
Name: any name you want

Proper fix would be to reinstall IIS but wasnt possible for me as I had live
sited on this server.

Hope this info helps anyone else who may come accross this issue.

1
Reply Utf 3/30/2010 9:05:01 AM

(page loaded in 0.133 seconds)