How to use intranet instead of companyweb as address?

  • Follow

Hi,

I run SharePoint 3.0 on SBS 2008. By default, the SharePoint website address
is http://companyweb, I want to change it to http://intranet as we used to
have on 2.0 on SBS 2003, however it doesn't work. I added intranet as CNAME
in DNS. When I ping companyweb and intranet, both reply the same IP address,
which is my server's IP. But companyweb display the right page, Intranet
shows IIS7 welcome page.

How can I use Intranet instead of companyweb? Need help!

Thanks in advance!

Lisa
0
Reply Utf 2/8/2010 8:31:01 AM

------=_NextPart_0001_A1AA1B95

From the information that you have provided it seems its some thing to do
with Alternate Access Mapping. Please check if AAM is set for that web app:

Go to Central Admin
Operations > Alternate Access Mapping
Edit Public URLs
Under Intranet field give "http://interanet" and Save

Also in IIS ensure you have the Host Header entry for the same site.

IIS > expand Sites
Right click on the respective site > Click Edit Bindings
Click Add
Specify the Host name as http://interanet

Some links about AAM

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/03/06/what-every-sharepoint-ad
ministrator-needs-to-know-about-alternate-access-mappings-part-1.aspx
------=_NextPart_0001_A1AA1B95

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang16393{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}{\f1\fnil\fcharset2 Symbol;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 From the information that you have provided it seems its some thing to do with Alternate Access Mapping. Please check if AAM is set for that web app:
\par
\par Go to Central Admin
\par Operations > Alternate Access Mapping
\par Edit Public URLs
\par Under Intranet field give "http://interanet" and Save
\par
\par Also in IIS ensure you have the Host Header entry for the same site.
\par
\par IIS > expand Sites
\par Right click on the respective site > Click Edit Bindings
\par Click Add
\par Specify the Host name as http://interanet
\par
\par Some links about AAM
\par
\par \pard{\pntext\f1\'B7\tab}{\*\pn\pnlvlblt\pnf1\pnindent0{\pntxtb\'B7}}\fi-360\li360 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263208.aspx
\par {\pntext\f1\'B7\tab}http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261814.aspx
\par {\pntext\f1\'B7\tab}http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/03/06/what-every-sharepoint-administrator-needs-to-know-about-alternate-access-mappings-part-1.aspx
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_A1AA1B95--

0
Reply ramrk 2/9/2010 1:59:22 AM

------=_NextPart_0001_A1C1F849

Hello Lisa,

As DNS record is pointing to SharePoint Server, it is setup correctly.

There are two things you might need to fix this:

1. Add the host header to IIS in the existing site.
IIS > Select the SharePoint site > Edit Bindings > Add
All unassigned
Port 80
Host Header: intranet
OK

2. Open SharePoint Central Administration site > Operation > Alternate
Access Mappings
Select your site and Click on "Edit Public URL's"
Add your URL in Intranet zone as http://intranet
Click Save.

Try to browse your site and it should work as expected.

The reason why this site is not working is the host header which is not
added in IIS to the SharePoint Site.

Site would work fine without Alternate Access Mapping entry but it will log
an Topology error in appliction event logs and couple of Client Integration
features would not work.

Sunil [MSFT]
------=_NextPart_0001_A1C1F849

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hello Lisa,
\par
\par As DNS record is pointing to SharePoint Server, it is setup correctly.
\par
\par There are two things you might need to fix this:
\par
\par 1. Add the host header to IIS in the existing site.
\par IIS > Select the SharePoint site > Edit Bindings > Add
\par All unassigned
\par Port 80
\par Host Header: intranet
\par OK
\par
\par 2. Open SharePoint Central Administration site > Operation > Alternate Access Mappings
\par Select your site and Click on "Edit Public URL's"
\par Add your URL in Intranet zone as http://intranet
\par Click Save.
\par
\par Try to browse your site and it should work as expected.
\par
\par The reason why this site is not working is the host header which is not added in IIS to the SharePoint Site.
\par
\par Site would work fine without Alternate Access Mapping entry but it will log an Topology error in appliction event logs and couple of Client Integration features would not work.
\par
\par Sunil [MSFT]
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_A1C1F849--