Conditionally prevent a SharePoint list item from editing

  • Follow

Hello all,

I would like to implement the following functionality on a custom SharePoint
(WSS 3.0) list:

When a choice field on a list (always the same one) is set to one particular
value and the list item then saved, I would like to disable editing of this
item, so that it remains unchanged from then on. Other list items (if their
value of the choice field is different, of course), should be available for
editing.
What would be the best way to achieve this? Some Javascript that would
detect the value in the choice field and then disable/hide the fields (maybe
just the Save button)? Or some workflow?

I have one more question, nowhere near as important: I would like to
implement a filter/search functionality on a list but in such a way that a
user could select start date and/or end date and all the items in the list
that (in an appropriate field) have a value between those two dates would
then be shown as the filter/search result. How to achieve that?

Thank you very much in advance,
Hrvoje

0
Reply Hrvoje 12/2/2009 8:38:23 PM

Without custom code, I don't how you would do this. SharePoint 2010
workflows will give you the ability to set permissions based upon a column
value, but in WSS 3.0, if possible, you'll need to code it.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"Hrvoje" <hrvojev@recro-net.hr> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to implement the following functionality on a custom
> SharePoint (WSS 3.0) list:
>
> When a choice field on a list (always the same one) is set to one
> particular value and the list item then saved, I would like to disable
> editing of this item, so that it remains unchanged from then on. Other
> list items (if their value of the choice field is different, of course),
> should be available for editing.
> What would be the best way to achieve this? Some Javascript that would
> detect the value in the choice field and then disable/hide the fields
> (maybe just the Save button)? Or some workflow?
>
> I have one more question, nowhere near as important: I would like to
> implement a filter/search functionality on a list but in such a way that a
> user could select start date and/or end date and all the items in the list
> that (in an appropriate field) have a value between those two dates would
> then be shown as the filter/search result. How to achieve that?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Hrvoje

0
Reply Daniel 12/2/2009 9:22:33 PM