check when PC was last logged onto a network

Is there a way I can use VBScript to check when a particular PC was last
logged onto a given domain (our company network)?

Our site support staff would find this useful in getting some of our remote
users to connect more frequently for security patches, application updates,
etc., if there was a way to check how many days since the PC was last
connected to the network, then display a message to the user if number of
days not on the network is greater than X.

Thanks.

"Tony Logan" <TonyLogan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way I can use VBScript to check when a particular PC was last
> logged onto a given domain (our company network)?
>
> Our site support staff would find this useful in getting some of our
> remote
> users to connect more frequently for security patches, application
> updates,
> etc., if there was a way to check how many days since the PC was last
> connected to the network, then display a message to the user if number of
> days not on the network is greater than X.
>
> Thanks.

I do this by getting the logon script to maintain a log file on the server
for every user who logs on, recording the following details:
- Date, time
- User name
- Computer name
- Local or remote logon

This approach has several advantages:
- It tells you exactly who logs on where and when.
- It is controlled centrally. There is no need to launch a script locally.
- You do not need to rely on users responding to a message (they don't!).
You will know without asking them.
- The log file is a valuable source of information when you have security
concerns, e.g. log ons outside business hours, remote logons, logons on the
wrong workstation.

0
Pegasus
9/21/2010 8:55:11 PM

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Tony Logan" <TonyLogan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way I can use VBScript to check when a particular PC was last
>> logged onto a given domain (our company network)?
>>
>> Our site support staff would find this useful in getting some of our
>> remote
>> users to connect more frequently for security patches, application
>> updates,
>> etc., if there was a way to check how many days since the PC was last
>> connected to the network, then display a message to the user if number of
>> days not on the network is greater than X.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I do this by getting the logon script to maintain a log file on the server
> for every user who logs on, recording the following details:
> - Date, time
> - User name
> - Computer name
> - Local or remote logon
>
> This approach has several advantages:
> - It tells you exactly who logs on where and when.
> - It is controlled centrally. There is no need to launch a script locally.
> - You do not need to rely on users responding to a message (they don't!).
> You will know without asking them.
> - The log file is a valuable source of information when you have security
> concerns, e.g. log ons outside business hours, remote logons, logons on
> the wrong workstation.

I have been doing much the same for about 10 years, porting the script from
kixtart to vbscript when we migrated from w98 to xp. Unfortunately...

If the workstations and servers on your network are not well connected, you
might want to consider coding this so that the log file is kept on the
nearest server.

I agree with Pegasus' last bullet about this being a valuable source of
info. But if someone can reverse-engineer your script they might find ways
of falsifying the data stored in the log, or even using the information  for
their own ends.

I got around this (sort of) by running a scheduled task every hour that
moves the log file into a folder to which users have no access.

/Al

0
Al

merge MSN Bill Pay & Checking Acct

Authorizing checks with RMS

How do I create Check list

creation of synchronization log messages #2
I have outlook XP on win2k, and my deleted items folder is being filled by "synchronization log" messages at the rate of 1 per minute. They appear to be simply a log (no problems indicated). Here's a sample from the log... 16:44:06 Synchronizing Hierarchy 16:44:06 Synchronizing Favorites 16:44:06 Synchronizing Folder 'Inbox' .... 16:44:07 Done 16:44:08 Microsoft Exchange offline address book 16:44:08 0X8004010F Where is a setting in outlook where I can disable this? Thanks! ...

Printing Checks

Employee Check Format-Graphical

Move logs manually
Can someone point me to info on how to move the Exchange logs manually? I found lots of stuff for moving the databases manually, but not the logs. Exchange 2003, SP2 Windows 2003, SP1 Thank you. Ed. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:46:43 -0400, "Ed" <ed.jackson@americantower.com> wrote: >Can someone point me to info on how to move the Exchange logs manually? I >found lots of stuff for moving the databases manually, but not the logs. >Exchange 2003, SP2 >Windows 2003, SP1 >Thank you. >Ed. > Under properties of the storage group, General tab is the dialog box...

Can't save file in network or hard disk
Receive new xp last week and running excel 2000. The file has 12 tabs and lots of data linking between tabs. Sporadically, I cannot save the file back on the network, cannot save under another name, and cannot even save on the c:drive. The message is "xxx.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding". The network is not down and I am not disconnected from the network. I do not encounter this problem with the old nt. Other files have less tabs and less c...

Check Names = "Exchange Server computer is busy..."
Here's what I got: Active Directory on Server 2003 1 Domain Controller also running DNS and WINS No other DNS or WINS servers (I know, I know) Static IP Addresses...NO DHCP Exchange Server 2003 on a member server Client running W2K SP4 Outlook 2000 SP3 Exchange has 4 mailboxes set, but nobody is using it. I'm still testing things out. When I try to connect to Exchange via my Outlook 2000, I get the following message: "The function cannot be performed because the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is busy. Try again later" I've tried it from 3 different client comp...

Printing MICR checks
Hello, We are having an issue printing checks on the Select Payables Checks window. When we try to print the checks we receive the error message below: "Warning: You have MICR but are not in a MICR screen. To use MICR, abort this screen and set up security access." The user has access to this screen but I'm not sure what this error message means. There was nothing related to this in the Knowledge Base either. Has anyone else received this error message before and if so how did/do you resolve it? Thanks! The user has the third party mekorma check writing module ...

Unable to Synchronize Money 2005 with my Pocket PC
This how I installed Money 2005: 1) installed active sync 2.8 and created parthnership with my Axim x50v 2) installed Money 2005 Premium on my Laptop 3) created file, accounts and some transactions 4) downloaded Money for Pocket PC 2005 5) installed it on my PPC My problems are: - I cannot start Money on PPC from Programs Folder, instead I must browse for it using File Explorer - Whater I tried I'm not able to sync with my laptop. Microsoft Money Data has no checkbox in options window of ActiveSync - I found couple of sites on how to repair this (delete partnership, reinstall, create n...

How to Transfer Money + H and B License to rebuilt PC?
HI All, I purchased Money from Digital River. Do not have the exe. I have my serial number. I bare-metal'ed my PC from XP to install Vista (experience told me not to upgrade). I downloaded the trial version. Is there a way to register this trial copy under my existing 10 month old license? Thanks All My understanding was that for a period of time you can go back to Digital River and download it again. I do not know the answer to your question about licensing the trial version. Let me get on my soap box. As you have learned the proper way to do a digital download of software is...

Save OWA email in mi PC
Hello everybody, I am using Outlook Web Access and I want to save a copy of my Inbox and Sent Items to my hard disk. How can I do this? Thanks in advance. jleon I don't think you can do it from the web client. Normally, you'd need the full Outlook client to do it. "jleon" <jleonmex@netscape.net> wrote in message news:1132862547.999349.319790@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hello everybody, > > I am using Outlook Web Access and I want to save a copy of my Inbox > and Sent Items to my hard disk. How can I do this? ...

Quick-Access-Toolbar Settings: SAVE on other PC ?
HOW to save my Quick-Access-Toolbar SETTINGS ? Best on a stick, to work with on an other PC? Thanks. If the QAT settings are in your normal.dotm, save it under a new name. Save the file to the Word/Startup folder that is along the user path for your user name on that computer. It will load whenever you start Word. You can save the QAT dotm in other locations, but you will have to load it yourself every time you start Word. Most of the experts here recommend that you _not_ load the add-on template from a "stick". Pam jsyh wrote: >HOW to save my Quick-Access...

Check off boxes
Publisher 2003 in use. I am creating a questionnaire that will be included in a newsletter. I am using the publisher software to make this form. Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Any help along this line will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and enjoy your day. Mike Mike Reshetar wrote: > Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, > however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Use Wingdings and the � or q characters. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher h...

check check check
afpoiadshfpaosid It is a feature, not a bug -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

spam properties check
When I receive a suspecious email (spam), I right click, without opening the message, to check the properties to make sure it is spam before I forward to the "missed spam" software of my ISP. Some spam emails then ask me if "I want to save the changes" before I close the properties box. I am then not able to forward this email without replying yes to "save the changes?" I did not make any changes, I just checked the properties. Why is this happening? ...

Opmlog.log
How do I turn this off? -- Shirley Tools->Options->Other->Advanced->General Options. Turn off logging. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Shirley asked: | How do I turn this off? ...

tristate check box #2
I have a tristate check box.The default behavour of tristate check box in windows is that, the grayed check box will become unchecked after click on grayed check box. But i want , the grayed check box will become checked after click on grayed check box in VC++ .Pls help me its urgent. Well, for Win32, you can always SendMessage the button a BM_GETSTATE. I'm sure with MFC there's a function that will permit this; it could be as simple as button_name.GetState(). Well, for the event OnClick for that button, you can get the state of the button and then either run it through some if-...

Check scanning and Check readers
Has any group successfully integrated a check reader or scanner into a MSFT RMS-POS solution? Our small business processes alot of checks from contracts and cash from customers. So, we need to integrate credit card, debit card, cash, and checks processing. I've been wanting to implement RMS but have been unsuccessful in locating info on any check readers and compatibility with RMS. Anyone with a solution to reading, scanning, and electronically verifying checks at the POS? Rms only supports check verification using PC Charge. Also, RMS only supports MICR (Magnetic Ink Character...

Check Void in Error
Our beloved cash admin voided SEVERAL checks in error. Is there a way to un-void them? They were historical checks, ie. not in the current period. Our bank isn't effected, but our ledger is. I'm pretty adept at Sql, what tables would I need to hit if I have to manually do this?? Thanks! ...

How to check settings for Outlook 97
My Outlook is not working. The error message states, "Mapisp32 has caused an error in MINET32.DLL. Mapisp32 will now close." Secondly, whenever I attempt to check for "new mail" I get another error message, "messaging interface has returned to an error." Any help would be greatly appreciated. First thing to try would be to create a fresh profile here: Control Panel > Mail applet. Also, have you ever installed the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch for OL97? "Alex O. Stone" <aistone@comcast.net> wrote in message news:005501c368bf$eaa638...