Em dash with Hairspaces

  • Follow

I want to follow the Chicago Manual of Style when inserting an em dash into
text,
which calls for a very thin space ("hairspace") between the em dash and the
letters to the left and right of it. If you insert an em dash between two
letters (or words)
in Publisher, the em dash solidly connects the two. You can of course
manually insert a space before and after the em dash but that's unacceptable.
What's the easiest way to create a modification of the em dash that
incorporates hairspaces on
both sides?
0
Reply Utf 12/3/2009 2:35:01 AM

In Publisher 2000 I was able to create an em dash to your description by
opening the Character Map and doing a search for the em dash; it came up,
did a copy and paste into the Publisher page.

--
Don - Publisher 2000�
Vancouver, USA

"Dennis_in_Maryland" <Dennis_in_Maryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:153EFC0E-50B9-4DDD-94E2-4AB5231CB706@microsoft.com...
>I want to follow the Chicago Manual of Style when inserting an em dash into
> text,
> which calls for a very thin space ("hairspace") between the em dash and
> the
> letters to the left and right of it. If you insert an em dash between two
> letters (or words)
> in Publisher, the em dash solidly connects the two. You can of course
> manually insert a space before and after the em dash but that's
> unacceptable.
> What's the easiest way to create a modification of the em dash that
> incorporates hairspaces on
> both sides?

0
Reply Don 12/3/2009 4:57:00 AM