Changing the dpi setting when saving a file as a jpg

  • Follow

does anyone know how to change the dpi setting from 150
to 300 when saving a publisher file as a jpg?  In order
to send your work to a printer they need at least a 300
dpi setting in order to reproduce the quality - how can I
change the setting?

Thanks,

Lisette
1
Reply anonymous (74738) 10/8/2004 6:02:35 PM

Hi Lisette (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| does anyone know how to change the dpi setting from 150
|| to 300 when saving a publisher file as a jpg?  In order
|| to send your work to a printer they need at least a 300
|| dpi setting in order to reproduce the quality - how can I
|| change the setting?

You need to be using Publisher 2003.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
Reply bkvalheim (1291) 10/8/2004 6:34:12 PM

A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
Lisette <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> does anyone know how to change the dpi setting from 150
> to 300 when saving a publisher file as a jpg?  In order
> to send your work to a printer they need at least a 300
> dpi setting in order to reproduce the quality - how can I
> change the setting?

If you are sending a file to a commercial printer, you do NOT use JPEG (or
JPG or JP2 or any related JPEG-type file formats).

Try a 300dpi TIFF, or PNG, or even better print a PDF using an application
such as Adobe Acrobat (www.adobe.com/acrobat) or PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
Reply the_nerd (6344) 10/8/2004 8:19:18 PM

A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Brian
Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] <bkvalheim@publishermvps.com>!"...
> You need to be using Publisher 2003.

I would tend to assume she is using Publisher 2003, as Publisher 2002 did
not support 150dpi.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
Reply the_nerd (6344) 10/8/2004 8:19:49 PM

I actually am using Microsoft 2002 - and I don't know how
it is 150 dpi (that is what the printer told me when I
sent it to her).  I wanted to see if there is a way that
I can convert the file to a jpg at 300 dpi - but when
I "save as" and use the jpg option it does not allow you
to choice the dpi.  I am going to try and use the pdf
program that you mentioned and if not I will get back to
you.

I assume that if I buy Publisher 2003 that I will be able
to change the resolution on a jpg file?

Thanks so much for your help,
Lisette

0
Reply anonymous (74738) 10/8/2004 11:31:27 PM

"Print" to a .pdf using either Adobe Acrobat (not the
readerr) or Win2pdf (http://www.win2pdf.com) and set the
properties to 300 dpi.

0
Reply anonymous (74738) 10/9/2004 3:08:36 AM

A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
Lisette <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> I assume that if I buy Publisher 2003 that I will be able
> to change the resolution on a jpg file?

Publisher 2002 outputs at screen resolution, which is normall 96dpi.

Publisher 2003 will allow you to increase the resolution to 300dpi, BUT DO
NOT SAVE AS A JPG.

The reason you go to an outside printer is to get a better print quality.
Saving as JPG completely nullifies any possible advantage on print quality
you could get from using an outside printer.

Use PNG or PDF.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
Reply the_nerd (6344) 10/9/2004 8:01:57 AM

How do I save a picture file as a TIFF file?  What program would I use?
Would Microsoft Office Picture Manager work?  What about Publisher 2003?

Thank you.

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
> Lisette <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> > does anyone know how to change the dpi setting from 150
> > to 300 when saving a publisher file as a jpg?  In order
> > to send your work to a printer they need at least a 300
> > dpi setting in order to reproduce the quality - how can I
> > change the setting?
>
> If you are sending a file to a commercial printer, you do NOT use JPEG (or
> JPG or JP2 or any related JPEG-type file formats).
>
> Try a 300dpi TIFF, or PNG, or even better print a PDF using an application
> such as Adobe Acrobat (www.adobe.com/acrobat) or PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com)
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
> Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
> http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
Reply Neophyte (6) 3/2/2005 7:49:14 PM

In Publisher, Right-click the picture, click "save as picture", files of type, scroll
down to .tif, there is a "change" button above the file name selection.
--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Neophyte" <Neophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I save a picture file as a TIFF file?  What program would I use?
> Would Microsoft Office Picture Manager work?  What about Publisher 2003?
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
>> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
>> Lisette <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
>> > does anyone know how to change the dpi setting from 150
>> > to 300 when saving a publisher file as a jpg?  In order
>> > to send your work to a printer they need at least a 300
>> > dpi setting in order to reproduce the quality - how can I
>> > change the setting?
>>
>> If you are sending a file to a commercial printer, you do NOT use JPEG (or
>> JPG or JP2 or any related JPEG-type file formats).
>>
>> Try a 300dpi TIFF, or PNG, or even better print a PDF using an application
>> such as Adobe Acrobat (www.adobe.com/acrobat) or PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com)
>>
>> --
>> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>> http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
>> Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
>> http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
Reply gsauer (5093) 3/2/2005 8:24:37 PM

Thank you.

If I have a picture that is 150 dpi, can I change it to 300 dpi?  If so, how?

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> In Publisher, Right-click the picture, click "save as picture", files of type, scroll
> down to .tif, there is a "change" button above the file name selection.
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "Neophyte" <Neophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I save a picture file as a TIFF file?  What program would I use?
> > Would Microsoft Office Picture Manager work?  What about Publisher 2003?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > "Ed Bennett" wrote:
> >
> >> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
> >> Lisette <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> >>
> >> If you are sending a file to a commercial printer, you do NOT use JPEG (or
> >> JPG or JP2 or any related JPEG-type file formats).
> >>
> >> Try a 300dpi TIFF, or PNG, or even better print a PDF using an application
> >> such as Adobe Acrobat (www.adobe.com/acrobat) or PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> >> http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
> >> Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
> >> http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
Reply Neophyte (6) 3/2/2005 9:21:53 PM

Neophyte <Neophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard
to utter:
> If I have a picture that is 150 dpi, can I change it to 300 dpi?  If
> so, how?

If you find a 300dpi version, sure.

Seriously, 150dpi means that there are 150dpi of detail.
You cannot magically add detail.

Consider: You had $300 (a 300dpi image).  To make space, you threw away
$150, taking you down to $150 (dpi).  There is no magic way to get the $150
back to get $300 again.

Another analogy: Images are like arrays of grains of sand, all different,
arranged into a large grid.
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ

That is a 10x10 pixel image.  At 150 dpi, that is 1/15 inch.
You could increase the dpi to 300 by reducing the print size to 1/30 inch.
The only way to have a 300dpi image at 1/15 inch would be to add extra
pixels

A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????
A?B?C?D?E?F?G?H?I?J?
????????????????????

No-one knows what to add where the question marks are.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
Reply the_nerd (6344) 3/2/2005 9:31:40 PM

sorry for the rest of the replys .. guys if you dont know the answer shut the
F--- up
here is the answer for this ?

open you picture in Publisher  and select all, right click and choose 'save
picture' choose jpg then you will have an option to increase to commercail
300 dpi

good day and your welcome
tom

"Lisette" wrote:

> does anyone know how to change the dpi setting from 150
> to 300 when saving a publisher file as a jpg?  In order
> to send your work to a printer they need at least a 300
> dpi setting in order to reproduce the quality - how can I
> change the setting?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lisette

2
Reply foundtheanswer (2) 10/5/2005 11:19:02 PM

found the answer <foundtheanswer@discussions.microsoft.com> was very
recently heard to utter:
> sorry for the rest of the replys .. guys if you dont know the answer
> shut the F--- up

Often discussion between lots of people who don't know the answer can
produce an answer that will work.  If we followed your rules, that would
never happen.  I'll keep on doing what I've been doing.  Please feel free to
flame me if you so desire.

> open you picture in Publisher  and select all, right click and choose
> 'save picture' choose jpg then you will have an option to increase to
> commercail 300 dpi

Note that this does only work in Publisher 2003.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
Reply the_nerd (6344) 10/6/2005 7:25:37 AM

(page loaded in 0.166 seconds)

Reply: