What does Microsoft Project Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, schedules mean?

Follow
Email
I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
questions:
What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?
8
Reply Utf 1/3/2010 7:30:01 AM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

AFAIK, I never heard of such nomenclature in the context of the product
as provided by Microsoft.  Are these words used on your project?  Where
did you see these words written, or who uses them?

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 03/01/10 07:30, Alfred wrote:
> I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
> questions:
> What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
> What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?
0
Reply Rob 1/3/2010 8:46:20 AM
I've seen this refer to tiers in the summary structure of the project schedule.

Tier 1 - Phase Names
Tier 2 - Subphases
....and so on and so forth.

If we have a master plan in construction, usually by tier 4-5, you're talking
contractors or subcontractors, in which case you may or may not track their
specific activities - instead, you may opt to roll up their own detailed
plans to your Level 4 or 5 schedule items.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
> questions:
> What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
> What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?

0
Reply Andrew 1/3/2010 5:57:11 PM
You should get clarification from the document author.  In my world over
here, sometimes my customer refers to terms like this.  Whay they mean to say
is "Work Breakdown Structure Level 1, 2, 3, 4" or WBS Level 1, 2, ....

Here would be a level one schedule for a vacation. Notice the "level" has to
do with the level of indenture of the outline, not the numerals 1, 2, 3, etc.

1.0 Plan Trip
2.0 Purchase Items
3. Execute Vacation
4. Tell Friends

Here is the Level 2:
1.0 Plan Trip
1.1 Decide where to go
1.2 Establish budget

2.0 Purchase Items
2.1 Purchase Plane tickets
2.2 Buy appropriate clothing
2.3 Buy camera

3.0   etc.

And here would be a sample of level 3 (portion)
1.0 Plan Trip
1.1 Decide where to go
1.1.1 Land
1.1.2 Sea
1.1.3 Air

To see the WBS for your schedule, insert a column for WBS. Another handy
column is the Outline Level column which is essentially the number of decimal
places (outline indentrure) in the outline.
This shows the increasing level of detail in your schedule.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"Alfred" wrote:

> I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
> questions:
> What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
> What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?
6
Reply Utf 1/3/2010 6:24:01 PM
Alfred -

There are two ways to answer this question - from the point of
Microsoft Project, and another from the point of WBS.

From the point of Microsoft Project, Level 1, Level 2, ..., represents
the level number present in the "Outline Level" field. You can try
creating summary tasks, and insert a column with the field name
"Outline Level". You would observe the project summary task (if you
have selected it in Tools | Options, View tab, Show Project Summary
task) has the outline level value has 0, and summary tasks in first
level will be with outline level value 1, and so on.

Now from the point of WBS development, which is a key input for
schedule development. Upper levels (lower id) represents the major
work areas or the major phases of the project. So, the summary tasks
with outline level value 1 or 2 should mostly be features of the
product/service, followed by the phases required to deliver the
product. The lower levels (higher ids) represent the work package
(that includes the tasks, estimated duration, estimated cost and
resources to create the deliverable).

Please let us know if this response is sufficient.

Regards
Sai
Website: http://saipower.wordpress.com/

On Jan 3, 12:30=A0pm, Alfred <Alf...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
> questions:
> What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
> What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?

0
Reply sai 1/4/2010 8:41:10 AM
Alfred,
We occassionally help clients with this in our Microsoft Project and Project
Server consulting practice.

'Levels' of Project schedules is not inherent to Project, but a way of
identifying the level of detailed development of a schedule, which roughly
correlates to the outline levels in a schedule (which may or may not map to a
WBS).

A 'Level 1' Project schedule is understood to be very high level, usually
reflecting the summary tasks at the activity or deliverable level. At this
point, the schedule is being used for top-down scheduling, and estimates are
very rough, usually in the 50% + or - range, and is appropriate for the
project initiation phase only.

'Level 2' schedules have been decomposed to reflect the next level of
detail, in which the schedule should be reflecting the next level of summary
tasks or tasks. This is often the level of schedule that is submitted at the
project charter stage, and estimates should be in the 20-30% + or - range.

'Level 3' schedules are the output of the Planning stage, reflecting
thorough decomposition and detailed tasks and estimates, reflecting a 'bottom
up' estimating methodology. This is often the level of schedule that is
submitted at the end of the project planning stage. Estimates should be in
the 5-10% + or - range. This is the schedule that should be executed.

We don't see 'Level 4' schedules often, but may include the detailed
schedules of subprojects and contractors' work that is managed separately.

These levels generally correlate with Project's outline levels: 1.0, 1.1,
1.1.1, 1.1.1.1

I hope this helps you.

- Kevin Williamson, MCTS, PMP

"Alfred" wrote:

> I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
> questions:
> What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
> What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
> What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?
4
Reply Utf 1/4/2010 4:45:01 PM
On 4 Jan, 17:45, Kevin Williamson <Kevin
William...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Alfred,
> We occassionally help clients with this in our Microsoft Project and Project
> Server consulting practice.
>
> 'Levels' of Project schedules is not inherent to Project, but a way of
> identifying the level of detailed development of a schedule, which roughly
> correlates to the outline levels in a schedule (which may or may not map to a
> WBS).
>
> A 'Level 1' Project schedule is understood to be very high level, usually
> reflecting the summary tasks at the activity or deliverable level. At this
> point, the schedule is being used for top-down scheduling, and estimates are
> very rough, usually in the 50% + or - range, and is appropriate for the
> project initiation phase only.
>
> 'Level 2' schedules have been decomposed to reflect the next level of
> detail, in which the schedule should be reflecting the next level of summary
> tasks or tasks. This is often the level of schedule that is submitted at the
> project charter stage, and estimates should be in the 20-30% + or - range.
>
> 'Level 3' schedules are the output of the Planning stage, reflecting
> thorough decomposition and detailed tasks and estimates, reflecting a 'bottom
> up' estimating methodology. This is often the level of schedule that is
> submitted at the end of the project planning stage. Estimates should be in
> the 5-10% + or - range. This is the schedule that should be executed.
>
> We don't see 'Level 4' schedules often, but may include the detailed
> schedules of subprojects and contractors' work that is managed separately.
>
> These levels generally correlate with Project's outline levels: 1.0, 1.1,
> 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1
>
> I hope this helps you.
>
> - Kevin Williamson, MCTS, PMP
>

> "Alfred" wrote:
> > I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following
> > questions:
> > What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule?
> > What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule?
> > What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and
> > What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule?- Hide quoted text -

Alfred,

This can mean anything. It depends who says it!

I have come a cross at least two more definitions than those described
above. You really need to clarify with whoever has made the statement
exactly what THEY mean. As far as I know there is nothing in MS
Project that refers to levels 1, 2, etc, only what has already been
described.

Having said that, I think the PMI scheduling practice (non toolset
specific) describes a five level schedule model. Try their website;
pmi.org

Hope this helps
0
Reply MrAlNather 1/5/2010 2:36:06 PM
Follow
Email

Linking tasks in MS Project 2007
roI have copied 5 tasks from a project and linked them in a consolidated project using the 'Paste Special' command. This almost works well because any changes I make to the tasks in the original project are reflected in the consolidated project except the % complete shown in the indicators column. For some reason, when I make any changes to the % complete in the original project, the changes arent reflected in the consolidated project (and vice versa). I'm presuming that % complete should be updated like any other field therefore any help would be appreciated. -- s...

Linking to Excel from MS Project
I was wondering if there is a way so that I can link the Gant Chart (Picture) made in Project to a sheet in Excel... I know I can copy the image over and paste it into the sheet, but I wanted something that would be able to dynamically change on an update and I dont have to copy and paste all the time. Any help is appreciated. ...

microsoft
weghtgh ...

HOw do i start outlook? #2
My outlook doesn't go past the check name screen? what do I do? Presumably it worked before? And the version is? You could try a repair using your Office or Outlook cd "mhabit" <mhabit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E1B2630-9B20-444F-BF65-6B7E41638450@microsoft.com... > My outlook doesn't go past the check name screen? what do I do? The Check Name function is part of a Microsoft Exchange account. Are you trying to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server? Or your ISP? Joe "mhabit" <mhabit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

"dpm 2007" library shows "Missing:1" for a slot in quantum superlo
I have reinstalled the entire OS/DPM 2007 setup, but despite this, i'm still "missing" a slot in library.. slot 9 of my quantum dlt-s4 superloader 3. I've emptied that slot in the library just to make sure.. Does anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it? I'm on 2008 r2 x64 ( was on plain 2008 x64 before, no change).. Thanks I tried all of your suggestions, but #9 is still missing. (Note, again, that i had wiped the C drive and reinstalled 2007 dpm, as well as upgraded to 2010, all to no avail). I'm still thinking it may be a bad cart...

Anyone have a UML model for a vanilla SDI project?
I was getting ready to start developing UML models for some of my projects and it occurred to me that it would be easier to start with UML for an AppWizard-generated SDI or MDI project. I haven't been able to find one so I'm beginning to suspect this may be harder than it seems at first glance. Has anybody seen one? Thanks in advance. Bob, The level of difficulty would of courase depend on the level on detail. You might want to check my free UML-editor at http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/umleditor.asp - it will be able to create/import part of the diagram with the notable e...

Date change #2
Hi, I have a cell to list when the next payment is due from a client. would like the payment dates to automatically update after the origina payment date is reached. Payments are due every two weeks. Th 'payment due' cell is G17. So if the first payment was due today, the tomorrow G17 would display the date two weeks from today. Thanks fo your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Assuming you have a valid date in the cell use: =G17+14 You will find some details on Date and Times in Excel on this page: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelDateandTimes.htm ...

Cannot access mine CRM (3.0) Contacts from Outlook 2003 Address Book
I have imported over 700 contacts into CRM (3.0). I have installed the CRM using Outlook 2003 client. When I look in my Address book in the Show names from list, I can see the CRM contacts option but I get an information message. Message reads "The Address list could not be displayed. The action could not be completed". What do I need to do to have my CRM contacts accessable from Outlook for addressing mail? ...

Excel? #2
How do I print titles on every page of a spreadsheet in Excel? To print titles on every page go to - File - go to - Page Setup - selcect - Sheet - and insert "Rows to repeat at top" the cells which contain the titltes your want on every page Hope this helps "Bruce" wrote: > How do I print titles on every page of a spreadsheet in Excel? ...

outlook express vs outlook #2
I am currently usin outlook express but want to use my newly installed outlook 2003 from my student/teacher edition. I also want to transfer my address book. Can I do that? thanks! -- laura File->Export. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, laura asked: | I am currently usin outlook express but want to use my newly installed | outlook 2003 from my student/teacher edition. I also want to | transfer my addre...

CRM and MSFT Project
We are thinking about grouping our CRM and a MSFT Project on the same server. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Good or bad idea on our part?? This all depends on the use of both products and the specs of the server. In general, I would not advice this, but it should be possible. Kind regards, Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "B. Scott" wrote: > We are thinking about grouping our CRM and a MSFT Project on the same > server. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Good or bad idea on our part?? > Thank you Ronald...I will pass that on to our systems admin person...

Is there an Excel template for a 1-day Tennis American Tournament #2
Am trying to set up one-day American tournament for 28 mixed-doubles' pairs .. Seven groups each of four ranked pairingson seven courts. Is there an Excel or an Access template anywhere for the scheduling of games, league tables etc. ...

Microsoft Promo

Outlook Data Files #3
Hi All Can anybody tell me what exactly the Outlook data files do? and what happens if you delete one. Does it automatically reset itself? I somehow ended up with more than one so I have done a backup and cleaned them out by deleting htem. Outlook data files contain all your Outlook data. Clarify the rest of your questions. Read this: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "News" <someone@someone.com> wrote in messa...

MS CRM 1.2. Mobile
Is it possible to have the new Microsoft CRM 1.2. Mobile (in the available languages: US English and International English) running on a Spanish Microsoft CRM 1.2. installation??? The customer doesn�t care about having labels and so on in English, but is this technically possible????? Thanks, Chus ------=_NextPart_0001_09683BA1 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Chus, No, with this first release of CRM Mobile, it will only run on either a US English or International English CRM install. It has not been tested on any of the language versions, so it likely we be...

Publisher 2007 Beta 2 with pdf add-on
I am a newsletter editor for a very simple monthly newsletter and I am pleased that I can send my letters out in pdf format so eveyone with a computer can read the letter with the Adobe reader. I think I am going to leave well-enough alone and not do anything to jepordize this feature until I can buy the final copy whenever it comes out. Will anything happen automatically to the Beta 2 version of office to prevent me from using the pdf feature in Publisher before the final product hits the streets? I am learning a lot from this discussion group--thanks to all of you. Depends on when...

Hallo #2
Who can say something about WindowsRightManagementService in Outlook 2003 -- Otto What are you interested in knowing?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "otto" <otto@litech.net> wrote in message = news:dgf4im$p23$3@ah.litech.net... > Who can say something about WindowsRightManagementService > in Outlook 2003 >=20 &...

I Made $1.25 Million last year alone, I'll show you how!!! #2
For many years I worked for other people on the daily grind. 9 - 5 and much longer hours for what now seems like very poor pay. I suppose looking back on it now, I didn't really know how trapped I was until I discovered an easy way to make money using Ebay and the Internet. Since then I haven't looked back and have been making money consistently. For a long time now, I have been developing a number of interesting methods that can realize lots of money both on and off ebay. I am now offering you the opportunity to do the same. Each method is completely legal. There are no pyramid scheme...

What does =B11*$C$4 mean?
=B11*$C$4 I get the cell value equals cell B11 times��then what's the $ mean, $C$4? I think it means use the value in cell C4, but what do the $ mean? The $ signs make a cell reference Absolute so it does not change as you copy the formula. =B11*$C$4 will increment as =B12*$C$4 as you drag/copy down the column. The B11 will increment and $C$4 will remain fixed. See help on absolute and relative cell references. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:52:37 -0800, David Deley <deleyd@gte.net> wrote: >=B11*$C$4 > >I get the cell value eq...

ESMTP #2
How to configure ATRN,ETRN,PIPELINING,VRFY ETC when i connect to my exchange server 2003 through telnet ?? Aman On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 00:26:29 -0800, Atanu Mahata <AtanuMahata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to configure ATRN,ETRN,PIPELINING,VRFY ETC when i connect to my exchange >server 2003 through telnet ?? > >Aman Run that by us again? You want to configure your Exchange server's SMTP settings by telnetting into it? Need clarification. I don't believe that is possible and more specifically why would you configure Exchange through telnet. Do you mean te...