Task to begin on certain week day regardless of when predessor end

How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the week regardless of
when its predessor ends (but it must follow the predessor). For example, if a
taks can only begin on Tuesday and its predessor can end any day of the week.
How can I use project to 'delay' the start of the new task to the next
Tuesday regardless if the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.

Thanks
Greg
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

1) Create a calendar that only includes Tuesdays as working time.
2) Create a task with a duration of one minute, and assign the Task Calendar
to your new calendar.
3) Set up your task as a successor to Task A and a predecessor to Task B
4) Consider if you want to create a custom filter to remove that task from
most of your views.

....and that should do it.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the week
> regardless of when its predessor ends (but it must follow the
> predessor). For example, if a taks can only begin on Tuesday and its
> predessor can end any day of the week. How can I use project to
> 'delay' the start of the new task to the next Tuesday regardless if
> the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.
>
> Thanks
> Greg

0
Andrew

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01CAE898.E7133870

Hi Greg,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :)

Just to add a little to Andrew's answer as his process will work fine =
for the task to begin at any time on the Tuesday.  If you want it to =
begin at 0800 in the morning, make the task calendar have a working time =
also of one minute, say 0759 to 0800.=20

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be =
seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
MS Project MVP
See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

  "Andrew Lavinsky" <(Catapult Systems)> wrote in message =
  1) Create a calendar that only includes Tuesdays as working time.
  2) Create a task with a duration of one minute, and assign the Task =
Calendar=20
  to your new calendar.
  3) Set up your task as a successor to Task A and a predecessor to Task =
  4) Consider if you want to create a custom filter to remove that task =
from=20
  most of your views.

  ...and that should do it.

  - Andrew Lavinsky
  Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

  > How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the week
  > regardless of when its predessor ends (but it must follow the
  > predessor). For example, if a taks can only begin on Tuesday and its
  > predessor can end any day of the week. How can I use project to
  > 'delay' the start of the new task to the next Tuesday regardless if
  > the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.
  >=20
  > Thanks
  > Greg

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01CAE898.E7133870

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hi Greg,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Welcome to this Microsoft Project =
newsgroup=20
:)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Just to add a little to Andrew's =
answer as his=20
process will work fine for the task to begin at any time on the =
Tuesday.&nbsp;=20
If you want it to begin at 0800 in the morning, make the task calendar =
have a=20
working time also of one minute, say 0759 to 0800.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">FAQs, companion products and other =
useful=20
Project information can be seen at this web address: <A=20
title=3D"http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm&#10;CTRL + Click to follow =
link"=20
href=3D"http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm">http://project.mvps.org/faqs.ht=
m</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hope this helps - please let us know =
how you get=20
on :)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Mike Glen<BR>MS Project MVP<BR>See <A=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc">http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc</A> for my =
free Project=20
Tutorials</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Andrew Lavinsky" &lt;(Catapult Systems)&gt; wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:c4abab723224c8ccb66d72aa1d15@msnews.microsoft.com">news:c4ab=
ab723224c8ccb66d72aa1d15@msnews.microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>1)=20
  Create a calendar that only includes Tuesdays as working time.<BR>2) =
Create a=20
  task with a duration of one minute, and assign the Task Calendar =
<BR>to your=20
  new calendar.<BR>3) Set up your task as a successor to Task A and a=20
  predecessor to Task B<BR>4) Consider if you want to create a custom =
filter to=20
  remove that task from <BR>most of your views.<BR><BR>...and that =
should do=20
  it.<BR><BR><BR>- Andrew Lavinsky<BR>Blog: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm">http://blogs.catapultsystem=
s.com/epm</A><BR><BR>&gt;=20
  How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the =
week<BR>&gt;=20
  regardless of when its predessor ends (but it must follow the<BR>&gt;=20
  predessor). For example, if a taks can only begin on Tuesday and =
its<BR>&gt;=20
  predessor can end any day of the week. How can I use project =
to<BR>&gt;=20
  'delay' the start of the new task to the next Tuesday regardless =
if<BR>&gt;=20
  the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Thanks<BR>&gt;=20
  Greg<BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01CAE898.E7133870--

0
Mike

Calendar and Tasks
Morning All, Is it possible to have the tasks show up on the calendar? Scott V No. Only beside it. you can drag a task to the calendar if you need to assign a time to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Scott Viney" <scott@kar...

Outlook Task Failure
Hi Whenever I try to assign a task in Outlook 2002 I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameters are not valid" Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks ...... Craig *** Problem Description *** Action (A): When trying to save a task item there is an error. Result (R): Could not complete the operation, one or more parameters are not valid Cause (C): Corruption to the tasks folder. <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><...

Default time of day for reminders
Is there a way to set a default for the time of day a reminder will pop-up in Outlook 2003? I flag a lot of emails for follow-up at the end of the day but Outlook forces me to scroll through all the hours of the day to get to where I want, say 5pm. It would be nice if this was the first pick from the list. The default time for follow up flags is determined by the value you have set in the "End Time" box in the Calendar Work Week section of Tools | Options | Calendar Options. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- plea...

Concatenate Tasks With Summary Tasks in Reports
I think I have found in other posts but I want to ask directly just in case someone else has other info... Can MSP concatenate each task in a report with its summary tasks? Without this, I don't know what part of the project each task pertains to. (Example, does "Buy space" pertain to the April or May set of tasks?) If I add a breadcrumb to each task in the entry view, not only is this time consuming but I also can't read the entry view as well as before. This limitation severly cuts down on the usefulness of the reports for me. In article <FFB3AE7E-881E...

CRM Task question
Hi, I have a question regarding CRM task and Outlook Task on CRM v1.2, here is the scenario: "User A uses "CRM Task" on Outlook Sales Client to create a task and assign to User B User B updates the task on Outlook only and reply (or assign) back to User A Will the updated task (from the Outlook side) be the same updated task on the CRM if we don't use Online or Offline feature?" Because what happen is my user (user A) showed me an error message stating that there is an error synchronized task (from Outlook) to CRM task. She didn't use synch...

HOWTO CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding?
How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the intensive task, but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... Thanks On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:28:59 GMT, "michele" <mandelbort@oggiweb.com> wrote: >How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? >For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the >intensive task, >but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... >Thanks > Run the task in a low priority thread. ...

Sharing Tasks in the 2007 versions of Project and Outlook
Hi, I would like to export and work on my Project 07 tasks in Outlook 07. I am aware of how I can export them but this does not keep the link with Project. Could anyone tell me if there is a way of doing this in Microsoft or if there is an add-in I could purchase. Thanks Caz This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D7_01CAB3DB.7FC83F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Caz, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-) You might like to see Companion Products an...

Task Scheduler error
A long time ago I scheduled a task to load up a certain utility at 7 am. However, I've just realized it never gets loaded. I went into Task Scheduler to see what's going on, and as it opened I get this error: "An error has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error message: the specified account name is not valid" I'm looking at my task and I see that "When running a task, use the following user account" is set to "RICK \owner". I'm not sure how to check if that's a valid account name. I don't log on to my computer wi...

Allow certain address through IMF
Is there a way to configure the IMF on Exchange 2003 to allow email from a specific address through? ...

Updating tasks with VBA script
I've built a scheduling tool which uses Access to create the tasks. Once the tasks are generated, they're sent to Outlook. My problem is the tasks are grouped in categories and if a due date is changed it needs to move all the following tasks by x number of days. (My keyfield ie- 57-41, then 57-42, etc. is stored in the contacts field) I had planned to first pull the data back to Access to see what dates changed. Off of that data, I'd delete the following tasks and reinsert them with the modified dates. I would prefer to do this in Outlook but do not know the Outlook object mod...

years-months-days-hours
can anyone tell me how to do this, might be very simple. thanks in advance i have two dates/time in this format mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss 17/10/2001 12:35:20 21/12/2009 09:40:00 on another cell I would like the difference between these two dates in this format. 8 years, 11 months, 24 days, 00 hours, 20 min, 23 seconds. or each in a different cell like these: 8 years 11 months 24 days 00 hours 20 min 23 seconds =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" years, "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" months, "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&&quo...

task pane correction
To make the task pane go away I went under Help - Microsoft Excel Help- See Also - then clicked on - Online Content Settings and unchecked- Show Template help automatically when available. -- Diane @ SPSCA ...

Certain mails going to bad mail folder no error other than 0x80004005
Got SBS with Exchange 2003, ISA 2004 - all updated to latest SP's. Most of our mail has started going to the bad mail folder, initially thought it was something to do with attachments, we also have GFI Mail Essentials, Mail Security and Mail Archiving installed - disabled those to no avail. Most of the mail is ending up in the bad mail folder with a BDR report with the above string in. (I had to re-enable the bad mail folder after the SP update to see what was going on - although that doesnt help). My ISP says their server is relaying everything to ours okay, they have no exchange expe...

Trapping the close message when sent from the task bar button
Hi, I am using a application that uses a Tray Icon. I need to make it behave like MSN Messenger. I am almost there and one of my remaining problem is that I can't see how to trap the "close application" message that is sent when the user right clicks on the task bar and chooses "Close", I need to hide my window in the case and I only want to be able to close my application by right clicking on the tray icon and choose "Exit" Thanks a lot! Simon ...

Assigning Task to Queue or User
I have an issue with Assigning a task to a queue or another user. If the task is created in Sales for Outlook (SFO), the queue option is not available in the drop down list in the lookup table. The only option is the user. A reboot of the workstation seems to fix this, but man is this silly or what? The user is attempting this: Create a task for an order and assign the task to the receiving queue (all from within SFO). The queue does not show up to seach from in the Lookup Records Web Page Dialog. The weird part is that even if you go to CRM Web Client on the same machine, the qu...

Workflow generated task and changed owner
We are using a workflow to inform administration staff about a new generated order. That works fine and the task will be generated for the right CRM user. But, if we change the owner of that related order also the task previously generated by the workflow will be re-assigned to that nre owner. With CRM 3.0 it was working fine (left the task unchanged). With CRM 4.0 the task owner will be changed unexpected. The first thougt which comes to me is that it might have something to do with "Type of behaviour". Open the task entity and double click on N:1 relationship name Acco...

Completed Tasks in Task View
In the Task view window, I have the tasks sorted by Category and all of the tasks in each category are sorted by due date, even the completed tasks. However, I don't want the completed tasks to show in this screen. How can I hide them? Thanks, Terry B. Create a filter for that view with the criteria "Complete equals no" -- you can do this on the Advanced tab of the Filter dialog. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:06960...

Tasks with reminders
Hi, I want to make a Request Task for my collegues and have a reminder pop up on their Win2000 pc�s once a week. We use Outlook 2000 Can anyone tell me how to do this? Much Obliged Michael ...

Excel 2002 Task Pane
The task pane is no longer on the view menu. I still can access usin alt+F+N. It does appear at startup. Does anyone know how to restore it to the view menu ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried view>toolbars>customize>toolbars and reset? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "RP7073" <RP7073.xihfn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:RP7073.xihfn@excelforum-nospam.com... > > The task pane is no longer on the view m...

Number of days in calendar
Outlook 2007 SP1 Windows XP Professional SP2 I am trying to change the number of days in my calendar by changing in the registry the Callday key to i.e. 10 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Today It does not work. In Outlook the number of days in Customize Outlook Today is still 7. What to do? Somewhere I read that I need to let the registry know what version of Outlook Iam using. Where do I change that? Thanks in advance wim ossen portugal wim ossen <wimossenremove@thisvizzavi.pt> wrote: > Outlook 2007 SP1 > Windows XP Professional SP2 > > I am trying...

excel 07 Dynamic copy certain cells if criteria is met onto next s
Good Day, I have to take (certain) data from one sheet to another if a particular cell is not blank dynamically. F400 PROJ 8029 3/18/10 7.25 12 F400 ACT 8029 3/19/10 KF10-0005 EVANS 9 13 F200 PROJ 8726 3/24/10 7.25 10 F200 ACT 8726 3/25/10 KF10-0006 JOCHEN 13 19 D400 PROJ 62 3/12/10 7.25 12 D400 ACT 62 3/11/10 K10-0039 PALAS 14 20 D200 PROJ 4327 3/30/10 7.25 10 D200 ACT 4327 3/29/10 K10-0040 PALAS This is what my rows look like. First row is projected data (filled out ahead of the project starting) Second row is actual data (filled out as the project progresses...

Synchronising tasks
I have an application that creates tasks on a database and outlook at the same time. That's the easy part. The problem is if the user edited or deleted the outlook tasks, I want the changes to reflect on tasks saved on the database. Is there any way to accomplish this? thanks in advance ! "Deck" <d@d.com> wrote in message news:dvor0i$ni2$1@emma.aioe.org... >I have an application that creates tasks on a database > and outlook at the same time. That's the easy part. > The problem is if the user edited or deleted the > outlook tasks, I want the changes to...

Specify certain length(characters) when defining a column
Is there anyway to specify a certain character length when defining a column in excel? The worksheet in excel has to be exported into notepad. The notepad data has to have a predetermined amount of characters in each column. ...

Task manager in C#
How to create task manager which shows process description and CPU columns like in windows Task Manager? I looked into Process class but it does not have Task Maanger CPU and process description column properties. Also it returns lot of duplicate process names as "svchost" . How to explore from C# code what is really running instead of svchost generic name ? Andrus. Andrus wrote: > How to create task manager which shows process description and CPU > columns like > in windows Task Manager? > > I looked into Process class but it does not have ...

Tasks
Whne I configure my current view to "active tasks", it still shows tasks that are completed and crossed off as well as upcoming tasks. I thought that it only supposed to show tasks that are not yet complete. Any help here would be appreciated. ...