Task to begin on certain week day regardless of when predessor end

  • Follow

How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the week regardless of
when its predessor ends (but it must follow the predessor). For example, if a
taks can only begin on Tuesday and its predessor can end any day of the week.
How can I use project to 'delay' the start of the new task to the next
Tuesday regardless if the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.

Thanks
Greg
0
Reply Utf 4/30/2010 4:03:01 PM

1) Create a calendar that only includes Tuesdays as working time.
2) Create a task with a duration of one minute, and assign the Task Calendar
to your new calendar.
3) Set up your task as a successor to Task A and a predecessor to Task B
4) Consider if you want to create a custom filter to remove that task from
most of your views.

....and that should do it.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the week
> regardless of when its predessor ends (but it must follow the
> predessor). For example, if a taks can only begin on Tuesday and its
> predessor can end any day of the week. How can I use project to
> 'delay' the start of the new task to the next Tuesday regardless if
> the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.
>
> Thanks
> Greg

0
Reply Andrew 4/30/2010 4:14:34 PM

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01CAE898.E7133870

Hi Greg,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :)

Just to add a little to Andrew's answer as his process will work fine =
for the task to begin at any time on the Tuesday.  If you want it to =
begin at 0800 in the morning, make the task calendar have a working time =
also of one minute, say 0759 to 0800.=20

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be =
seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
MS Project MVP
See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

  "Andrew Lavinsky" <(Catapult Systems)> wrote in message =
  1) Create a calendar that only includes Tuesdays as working time.
  2) Create a task with a duration of one minute, and assign the Task =
Calendar=20
  to your new calendar.
  3) Set up your task as a successor to Task A and a predecessor to Task =
  4) Consider if you want to create a custom filter to remove that task =
from=20
  most of your views.

  ...and that should do it.

  - Andrew Lavinsky
  Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

  > How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the week
  > regardless of when its predessor ends (but it must follow the
  > predessor). For example, if a taks can only begin on Tuesday and its
  > predessor can end any day of the week. How can I use project to
  > 'delay' the start of the new task to the next Tuesday regardless if
  > the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.
  >=20
  > Thanks
  > Greg

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01CAE898.E7133870

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hi Greg,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Welcome to this Microsoft Project =
newsgroup=20
:)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Just to add a little to Andrew's =
answer as his=20
process will work fine for the task to begin at any time on the =
Tuesday.&nbsp;=20
If you want it to begin at 0800 in the morning, make the task calendar =
have a=20
working time also of one minute, say 0759 to 0800.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">FAQs, companion products and other =
useful=20
Project information can be seen at this web address: <A=20
title=3D"http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm&#10;CTRL + Click to follow =
link"=20
href=3D"http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm">http://project.mvps.org/faqs.ht=
m</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hope this helps - please let us know =
how you get=20
on :)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Mike Glen<BR>MS Project MVP<BR>See <A=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc">http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc</A> for my =
free Project=20
Tutorials</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Andrew Lavinsky" &lt;(Catapult Systems)&gt; wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:c4abab723224c8ccb66d72aa1d15@msnews.microsoft.com">news:c4ab=
ab723224c8ccb66d72aa1d15@msnews.microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>1)=20
  Create a calendar that only includes Tuesdays as working time.<BR>2) =
Create a=20
  task with a duration of one minute, and assign the Task Calendar =
<BR>to your=20
  new calendar.<BR>3) Set up your task as a successor to Task A and a=20
  predecessor to Task B<BR>4) Consider if you want to create a custom =
filter to=20
  remove that task from <BR>most of your views.<BR><BR>...and that =
should do=20
  it.<BR><BR><BR>- Andrew Lavinsky<BR>Blog: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm">http://blogs.catapultsystem=
s.com/epm</A><BR><BR>&gt;=20
  How do a I set up a task to begin on a specific day of the =
week<BR>&gt;=20
  regardless of when its predessor ends (but it must follow the<BR>&gt;=20
  predessor). For example, if a taks can only begin on Tuesday and =
its<BR>&gt;=20
  predessor can end any day of the week. How can I use project =
to<BR>&gt;=20
  'delay' the start of the new task to the next Tuesday regardless =
if<BR>&gt;=20
  the predssors ended on a Wednesday - Friday.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Thanks<BR>&gt;=20
  Greg<BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01CAE898.E7133870--

0
Reply Mike 4/30/2010 6:11:14 PM

(page loaded in 0.049 seconds)