Newbie- Subtask duration not driving main task duration

Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello woodsy,

Check to make sure your calculation mode is set to Automatic.  See Tools
 > Options, Calculation tab.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/14/2010 12:25 PM, woodsy wrote:
> Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
> say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
> a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
> extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
> matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
> same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
> everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
> filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.

0
JulieS
1/14/2010 6:20:47 PM
Might you have calculations set to manual?
Press F9, if this fixes the problem, then you are set to manual.

Change to automatic:  Tools/Options/Calculation (tab) and set to automatic.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"woodsy" wrote:

> Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
> say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
> a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
> extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
> matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
> same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
> everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
> filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.
Thanks guys, that was it!

--
woodsy
woodsy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/174267.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
woodsy
1/14/2010 9:22:10 PM
Thanks guys, that was it!

"woodsy" wrote:

> Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
> say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
> a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
> extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
> matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
> same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
> everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
> filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Newbie, accnts. payable & accnts.receivable sample DB
Hi guys, I�m running access 2003, windows xp pro SP2 I've been commission in my work to do a small application to track and report the accounts payable and accounts receivable movements, I'm not an accounting savvy person :(, does anyone know of a link or sample access database that can help me with the basic structure of the tables and reports?, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

reformatting external hard drive
My computer runs WinXP SP3. I have instructions (from this newsgroup a couple years ago) for reformatting an external hard drive. The instructions include going to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Disk Management, etc. However, I noticed today when I plugged in my new 320GB external hard drive that right-clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer brought up a menu that included Format. Could I just click on Format and proceed? Will that accomplish the same thing as going through Control Panel? What I want to do is reformat from FAT32 to NTFS, so I can do a full backup ...

Customization on Business Unit Main form
Hi, Is it possible to modify Business unit main form. I couldn't find Main for even the type of Business unit entity is customizable. Thanks in advance for your help ...

Outlook 2000 Task Folders
I created new folders under the task folder for other tasks but when I put task in the new files I created they don't show up on my task manager, I can't set reminders and if I assign a task and the person sends me an update report it does not register because it says it is not in my task folder or calendar. How do I set up different task folders and still have the same funcions as when I set up tasks in my orignal task folder??? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Outlook only supports these functions for the Tasks folder in your default message store. If you...

Visio Newbie
Hello all, this is my first time using Visio for drawing a floor plan and I have a quick question. Yesterday, (Using a tape measure) I mapped out the floor plan of an office my company might be moving into. I wrote everything down in Inches. Is there a way once I get a room shape kinda close to teh measurements, that I can manually type in teh length for each wall? if not in inches, at least in feet. For example, I have one wall that is 154 inches ( 12.83 ft) Then the next wall is 242 incehs( 20.1 ft) The opposite wall of the first measurement is 288 inches, third wall 100 inches, then 13...

Exchange tasks
I have two AD controllers and a third member server with Exchange 2003 installed. Ran Forestprep and Domainprep without any trouble. Is it normal that I can't see the exchange tasks on the AD controllers, only on the exchange server itself (create mailboxes for instances). I suppose installing exchange the Exchange System manager on each of the controllers will solve this, but before I try this, I'd like a second opinion. Tia for any help Rudy Steyaert that's what you need to do... "Rudy Steyaert" <Rudy_Steyaert@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uH8mGp7rEHA.5...

Exchange newbie problem
Hi all; A user on our domain was deleted when he should not have been. His mail box was not deleted. When his account was recreated, we tried to reconnect the old mailbox. But when selecting a user in the "Select a new user for this mailbox" dialog a message comes back saying that the user cannot be found. We tried several different users a none can be found even though they can get there mail just fine. We need to get the messages from this mailbox. Any ideas would be great -- Craig in the High Desert. craig@craignet.com But it's a dry heat. you should be able to reconnec...

C++ / Access Newbie
Hi Folks... I have a small commercial package written in C++ (targeted to Windows platforms) that uses its own proprietary database. We are just starting to investigate the option of replacing our database with a commercial package, such as Access or MySQL. Can anyone recommend informative reading that provides details on programming C++ with either of these two databases? At this stage we have no (any I mean ZERO) experience such programming. Any information would be helpful: recommendations for Access over MySQL (or vice versa), sources of such comparisons, licensing considerations, OD...

Change the recordsource of a subform that is on an unbound main fo
Hello all, I know there are many appends on this but I just can't get this to work. I have an unbound main form (Main). On it are several subforms. The first subform (Vehicle) contains a summary of the vehicles. When I click on one of the vehicles, I would like the second subform (Vehicle Allocation History) to display records for the vehicle selected in the Vehicle form. Below is my code: Dim VehAlloc As Control Dim Main As Form Dim VIN As String Dim SQL As String Set Main = Forms("VehicleSummaryForm") Set VehAlloc = Main.VehicleAllocationHistory VIN = Me!VIN SQL = ...

newbie
joining the group Hey Newbie where are you from and what versiona re you using? Fliehigh "cthomas23@hotmail.com" wrote: > joining the group > ...

Eject (button and command) fails on both optical drives (CD & DVD) under XP. Works fine under Linux and pre XP starting
Both my drives (G: & H:) are fine and work perfectly once disks are loaded but I can no longer change disks while operating XP. I have to re-start XP and change the disks before XP starts.. They work perfectly under Linux (Mint8) although that is no longer installed and I've recently tested using the LIVE CD I've today disabled all start-up programs, re-booted and killed some processes that might be causing a problem but to no avail.. This has been happening for at least six months so I suspect some update at some has caused the problem.. The machine is fully up ...

hotsync outlook 2000 tasks with handspring visor to do lists
When I hotsync allthe data such as calendar, address etc are transferred, except my pda to do list does not convert into outlooks tasks lists. Check your hotsync options - are you using Chapura Pocketmirror? Task syncing may be set to "do nothing". Bill wrote: > When I hotsync allthe data such as calendar, address etc > are transferred, except my pda to do list does not convert > into outlooks tasks lists. ...

Task Pane
I absolutely hate the fact that I cannot keep Task Pane open after Excel starts up. This built in "upgrade" in XP is a downgrade in my view. Any way to prevent this? Is Microsoft working on some kind of switch that will allow a choice of keeping it shown after you start Excel (or Word for that matter)? Check out this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293820 XL2002: Task Pane Disappears When You Start Excel -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Chuck Humphrey" <cehjr43@earthlink.net> wrote in messag...

Real Newbie newbie question
Hi All - I hope you can help me! I have Finepix M603 camera and although I take reasonable shots in daytime, I'm not able to produce anything at night. eg On The Thames on New Years Eve, may people were using digital cameras and their screens should clear bright picture - mine was black! What setting should I set on mine? Any advice really appreciated. --- David Scott Hampshire, England Wrong group. Sorry....... -- --- David Scott Hampshire, England "Dave" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message news:50kuejF1fh28sU1@mid.individual.net... > Hi All - I hope...

indicate tasks eligible for execution
Hello everyone, I have never used MS Project, right now I'm reviewing its functionality in order to determine if it could replace current task management solution. A must have requirement is the ability to automatically indicate tasks eligible for execution (those for which all Finish-to-Start predecessors are completed and Start-to-Start predecessors are started and time constraints are met etc.). The goal: eligible tasks can be easily found in seconds just by scrolling tasks statuses list, with no analysis required. If this could be achieved using some custom field formu...

eConnect newbie
Hi, I've installed eConnect 7.5 and am planning to use this to read & write xml files to GP can anyone give me samples or examples of how to do this, also my company is planning to upgrade to GP 9 shortly are there major changes between each version? Thanks in advance. JimB If you've installed eConnect, then you have several samples already. They are located in the samples folder underneath the eConnect installation. The changes from 7.5 to 9.0 are fairly minimal. Mostly, there are new xml elements that can be included, but many of those are optional. It's my gue...

MDI newbie ?
I want to add a "reload" command that will close the current(and only) document and reload it again. Here is what I have tried so far: <code> AfxGetMainWnd()->PostMessage(WM_COMMAND, ID_FILE_NEW); while(AfxGetApp()->GetOpenDocumentCount() > 0); AfxGetApp()->OpenDocumentFile(currentFluPath); </code> This doesn't work, because, as I've learned ID_FILE_NEW create just that, a new blank document so count is still 1. I can't figure out what I should check for, how I can know when the ID_FILE_NEW is done so that I can call OpenDocumentFile() Does ...

Run Integration Quicker-Newbie
I am running an integration to import sales orders for invoicing. I use several additional query criteria in IM, but I do not think these criteria are passed to SQL Server 2000. Instead, the records are returned, then the criteria are applied. The integration is taking quite a bit of time to run. Does anyone have an idea on how to pass the criteria to SQL Server, or any other ideas to increase the performance? Thanks. use a SQL Server View "Shannon LeVert" <slevert@aviagen.com> wrote in message news:06c701c46daa$fbad4100$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am running an in...

SBS2003 Exchange mailbox store drive full
Hi all, Having problems due to lack of space on a customers D drive which runs out of space and dismounts the mailbox store. I have deleted emails and cleared space, which only creates a 100Mb or so. Presumably I now need to eseutil /d but there isn't enough free space on D: drive to do this with the mailbox store being around 20Gb. There is an additional data drive installed, so if I dismount the store and do a Eseutil /d /t "f:\temp.edb" will this do the defrag and then copy back/reduce the size of the original file, or do I then need to delete and copy ba...

Split Tasks
Hi There, I have a user who has MS Project 2003 - he is trying to split a task so that it is shown with the ..... inbetween the split. However it appears to be just extending the timeline. On the same PC running Project as another user it works as you would expect by putting the ... in the middle, but under his user profile it does not work. Can anyone suggest what may be causing this and how to resolve this problem without going down the route of deleting his network profile!! Things I have tried: -Uninstall Project -Clean out Registry -Delete any folders used by Project...

newbie question about IDE / ADO.net integration
Hi guys, I have made a console application that reads .mdb file. The way I achieved it was using the IDE, it was pretty much automatically, just dragging the mdb file into the idea, writing few sql strings in the wizard, and it generate the adapter,dataset and etc. classes automatically. 2 questions: 1) How is this process/model called ? Is it XSD ? named Datasets ? I want to know when asking questions regarding this, how to refer it in the future. 2) The connection string to the mdb file is in the setting, and I'd like to pass it as a command line argument to my application...

NEWBIE needs help #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C44FBE.6761CDE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I got this from http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html and I = have entered the formula as they spell out, but nothing is happening! = Why? Please help a newbie that needs help now. In this example the ticket numbers are in cells B2:G4, and the = drawn numbers are entered in cells B6:G6 1.. Select cells B2:G4=20 2.. Choose Format|Conditional Formatting=20 3.. Fr...

Newbie here
I'm saving my Visio flowchart as a html page, when hovering over a shape it shows the text and then "undefined". Any help on that would be great! On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:54:01 -0700, Newbie <Newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm saving my Visio flowchart as a html page, when hovering over a shape it >shows the text and then "undefined". > >Any help on that would be great! Which version of Visio and which version of IE (I assume you are using IE to view the pages)? -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Visio Utilities http...

Another Newbie
I am new to using excel in a power user manner. I am trying to average percentage from two cells (=B53/B54%) worksheet 1 (Day One through Day 22) to a master sheet. I need the master sheet to have 22 working days and the % for each day. Is there a way (Auto Fill?) to automactically fill the 22 Days on the Master sheet besides entering each manuauly? Thanks in advance. If you go to the bottom right of a cell the cursor changes to a thick, black arrow. When this happens, you can click the mouse button and drag-and-copy that cell formula to other cells, and it will update as it goes. -- HTH...

Test drive Microsoft CRM over the Web.
Enfowell Inc(www.enfowell.com) provides this test-drive service with a fee of $300 for 60 days. they can load some of your sample data and grant up to 3 login pair over the Web for test-drive. It's a MSCRM Suite(sales and services professional module) version 1.0. email to info@enfowell.com or call (408) 321-8315 for details. Jonathan. ...