Newbie- Subtask duration not driving main task duration

  • Follow

Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 1/14/2010 5:25:01 PM

Hello woodsy,

Check to make sure your calculation mode is set to Automatic.  See Tools
 > Options, Calculation tab.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/14/2010 12:25 PM, woodsy wrote:
> Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
> say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
> a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
> extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
> matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
> same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
> everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
> filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.

0
Reply JulieS 1/14/2010 6:20:47 PM

Might you have calculations set to manual?
Press F9, if this fixes the problem, then you are set to manual.

Change to automatic:  Tools/Options/Calculation (tab) and set to automatic.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"woodsy" wrote:

> Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
> say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
> a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
> extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
> matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
> same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
> everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
> filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 1/14/2010 6:23:02 PM

Thanks guys, that was it!

--
woodsy
woodsy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/174267.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Reply woodsy 1/14/2010 9:22:10 PM

Thanks guys, that was it!

"woodsy" wrote:

> Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue!  Let's
> say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented).  If I put in
> a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask
> extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't
> matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc.,
> same thing happens.  However, if I send my Project to someone else,
> everything looks as it should.  I assume I have some kind of formatting or
> filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in project to identify it.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 1/14/2010 9:49:02 PM

(page loaded in 0.07 seconds)