Monte Carlo Analysis

Hi all,

Ok, I've searched Google and could not find information on the famous IMHO
Monte Carlo simulation thing for MS Project.  Quick confirmation question: if
I simply write the 3 point estimating in MS-Excel, I would be able to derive
at a simulation of my own right (a manual one)....Thanks for your comments,
or suggestions.

-jp

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

jp --

IMHO is the acronym that people use when they want to share their humble
opinion with you.  IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion.  There is NO
company called IMHO!  Re-read the original post when the responder told you
this.  If you are looking for Monte Carlo simulation software for Microsoft
Project, navigate to the following URL and search for Monte Carlo:

http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, I've searched Google and could not find information on the famous IMHO
> Monte Carlo simulation thing for MS Project.  Quick confirmation question:
> if
> I simply write the 3 point estimating in MS-Excel, I would be able to
> derive
> at a simulation of my own right (a manual one)....Thanks for your
> comments,
> or suggestions.
>
> -jp

0
Dale
4/16/2010 9:01:31 PM
Dummy me!!!!
Thanks Dale.  Do you use Excel for this analysis?

-jp

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> jp --
>
> IMHO is the acronym that people use when they want to share their humble
> opinion with you.  IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion.  There is NO
> company called IMHO!  Re-read the original post when the responder told you
> this.  If you are looking for Monte Carlo simulation software for Microsoft
> Project, navigate to the following URL and search for Monte Carlo:
>
> http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Ok, I've searched Google and could not find information on the famous IMHO
> > Monte Carlo simulation thing for MS Project.  Quick confirmation question:
> > if
> > I simply write the 3 point estimating in MS-Excel, I would be able to
> > derive
> > at a simulation of my own right (a manual one)....Thanks for your
> > comments,
> > or suggestions.
> >
> > -jp

jp --

I do not know, my friend.  You'll need to look at the Web site I referenced
in the last response and read up on each of the software applications that
do Monte Carlo simulations.  Hope this helps.  And you are more than
welcome, my friend!  :)

--

> Dummy me!!!!
> Thanks Dale.  Do you use Excel for this analysis?
>
> -jp
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> jp --
>>
>> IMHO is the acronym that people use when they want to share their humble
>> opinion with you.  IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion.  There is NO
>> company called IMHO!  Re-read the original post when the responder told
>> you
>> this.  If you are looking for Monte Carlo simulation software for
>> Microsoft
>> Project, navigate to the following URL and search for Monte Carlo:
>>
>> http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Ok, I've searched Google and could not find information on the famous
>> > IMHO
>> > Monte Carlo simulation thing for MS Project.  Quick confirmation
>> > question:
>> > if
>> > I simply write the 3 point estimating in MS-Excel, I would be able to
>> > derive
>> > at a simulation of my own right (a manual one)....Thanks for your
>> > comments,
>> > or suggestions.
>> >
>> > -jp

0
Dale
4/17/2010 12:36:04 AM
You may also wish to check out Jack Dahlgren's Blackjack macro for Monte
Carlo over on www.masamiki.com.  I've used it to demo the concept of Monte
Carlo pretty effectively.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> jp --
>
> I do not know, my friend.  You'll need to look at the Web site I referenced
> in the last response and read up on each of the software applications that
> do Monte Carlo simulations.  Hope this helps.  And you are more than
> welcome, my friend!  :)
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Dummy me!!!!
> > Thanks Dale.  Do you use Excel for this analysis?
> >
> > -jp
> >
> > "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> jp --
> >>
> >> IMHO is the acronym that people use when they want to share their humble
> >> opinion with you.  IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion.  There is NO
> >> company called IMHO!  Re-read the original post when the responder told
> >> you
> >> this.  If you are looking for Monte Carlo simulation software for
> >> Microsoft
> >> Project, navigate to the following URL and search for Monte Carlo:
> >>
> >> http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> >> VP of Educational Services
> >> msProjectExperts
> >> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> >> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> >> "We write the books on Project Server"
> >>

> >> "jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

screening regression analysis in Excel
I would like to do screening regression analysis in Excel. Can this be done and how ? Do I need an add-in of some kind ? Any help appreciated. Grinch Within limits, you can do it. Help for LINEST is extremely misleading, it fits general linear models, not just straight lines. http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm shows how to fit a polynomial. In general, you just have to pass the X matrix (less the initial column of 1's for the grand mean). If you request statistics (TRUE as 4th argument), then the second output line will be the standard errors of t...

Investment analysis template
Hi, is there such a thing? I want to put some property info in and analyse the figures. Thanks. Jazz. I am using Excel 2000. Jazz, I'm not aware of any property analysis templates, however, when I purchased and sold homes, I often used the regression analysis functions in Excel (e.g., trend) to normalize the values of a group of houses to assist in determining whether they were under or over valued. http://HelpExcel.com "jazz" wrote: > Hi, is there such a thing? I want to put some property info in and analyse > the figures. Thanks. Jazz. I am using E...

Montly Reports
I am tring to make a report that with take 3 fields from my table and make a monthly report. The fields are Date, Violation and Fine. I know I have to base the table off of a Query but I do not know how to do that. Can someone please help. First, change the name of the field Date. It is a reserved workd and will definitely cause you problems in this case. Even if you enclose it in brackets, it can become a problem since you have to use the Date() function in conjunction with it. For example purposes, I will call it ViolationDate. Do not put any criteria in the query. Use the Where...

Analysis Service Not Working
Hi, We are having an issue getting the analysis service working in our environment. We are running Project Server 2007 with SP2 and all subsequent CUs. We have SQL Server 2000 installed on the same server. When I try to create the Data Analysis view, I receive the following error: "Failed to connect to the Analysis Services server. Verify the server name and try again." I have it set to the default server. I can also successfully build the OLAP cubes and access them through an Excel data connection. We have gone through the entire TechNet article and followed it...

calculate 18 monts from a date
Hi I need to calculate from une date if 18 monts has past, if is false put a "X" on if is true livet in blank (no 0 ) ex Kevin start on 06 mai 2007 still no 18 monts = "X" Tony start on 03 fev 2007 hi pas 18 monts = " " tanks Hi =IF(DATEDIF(A11,TODAY(),"m")<18,"X","") -- Regards Roger Govier "Centauro" <Centauro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4DCE151-3C31-4975-85D9-0B49AC8742D6@microsoft.com... > Hi I need to calculate from une date if 18 monts has past, if is false put > a >...

Analysis Toolpak
Hello, I am fairly new to this but need some help. I have just moved to college and my new class requires me to install this "Analysis Tolpak" so that I can do my homeowrk. My Office is at my home and this homework is due tomorrow 0.o. I am wondering if there is a place and perhaps some instructions on where I might find this said toolpak. Thanks in advance all!! Your help is much appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It was probably installed but not activated when Office was installed. If so, Tools|Add-Ins and check "Analysis Toolpak&quo...

Automatically send email montly
I'm setting up scheduling on all the workstations to run cleanmgr.exe and AutoDeFrag.exe every month. When this task is complete I want the stations to e-mail the Log file (SchedLgU.txt) to me so I can check that the tasks ran properly. Is there a way I can automatically schedule the same e-mail & attachment to be sent each month? Cheers, Bruce Walker Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/skedrpt.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all ...

Montly Query
Hi everyone, I need your help in constructing a query that reads the data field in the table, so it only returns the dates asked. What i need now (and i hope to start gainning enough knowhow to do it miself) it to bild a query (12 of them) for 1 month. January of instance, displaying all the entries betwen 01-01-2007 and 31-01- 2007. This should be simple, but iam still learning, so sorry for being a noob ;D TY -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com How about one query where you specify the date range? In the criteria "cell" under your Date fields enter the foll...

Monte Carlo Analysis
Hi all, Ok, I've searched Google and could not find information on the famous IMHO Monte Carlo simulation thing for MS Project. Quick confirmation question: if I simply write the 3 point estimating in MS-Excel, I would be able to derive at a simulation of my own right (a manual one)....Thanks for your comments, or suggestions. -jp jp -- IMHO is the acronym that people use when they want to share their humble opinion with you. IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion. There is NO company called IMHO! Re-read the original post when the responder told you this. ...

Excel Solution for Data Analysis
Hello, I hope someone can give me some tips as to how I can best develop an analysis for 5 different worksheets. Basically, each worksheet is for a different store location, under each worksheet are a number of items that are ordered like flour, sugar and salt. Under each material ordered are details on the price, i.e. price purchased at vendor, price from vendor to warehouse, price from warehouse to us, and a total. Now, I need to analyze all this data in one worksheet using drop down lists. For example, I wanted to find out how much I've spent on flour at Location 1 last year, this ...

Analysis ToolPak installed but no Data Analysis option
Hello, I have installed the Analysis ToolPak successfully (and have used the Data Analysis tools many times before), but sometimes the Data Analysis option simply fails to appear in the menu. What could be causing this? Thanks, Eric Sorry I can't help, but it seems that would be a useful tool. How do you get it? I went to Excel add-ins online MS and it doesn't seem to be available "Eric Stephens" wrote: > Hello, > > I have installed the Analysis ToolPak successfully (and have used the Data > Analysis tools many times before), but sometimes the Data Analy...

how do I report data of court cases ,results,analysis,.....
please provide guidance ,advise to report court decisions,case summury ,analysis and lessons learned for 150 cases .Including numbers, dates,parties involved,brief description,main issue and relavant legal opinion after the fact.I 'd like to use excel 2002 or earlier. I appreciate it and thank you in advance. Please feel free to send to Zeyad@sympatico.ca Are you sure you don't want us to FedEx it overnight to you? Frankly your post doesn't make any sense, what's your question? You post a question, someone here tries to answer it, don't expect us to research court c...

Register Analysis or EOD Report
Does anyone have a custom EOD or register analysis report that they would like to share? I cannot understand the register analysis report that was sent with RMS. Does anyone have a custom one that offers more clarity that they would like to share? Thanks, Nick I sent a custom Register Analysis active report to Nick on 3/4/2005. Kevin Pham "nick@realkiteboarding.com" wrote: > Does anyone have a custom EOD or register analysis report that they would > like to share? I cannot understand the register analysis report that was > sent with RMS. Does anyone have a custo...

Separate data and analysis
Hi Group, hope you can help me with this question. I have an excel file which has 35 sheets, 1-31 sheets represent days of a month , 32-35 sheets are analysis and charts Ideally, I like to have 2 excel files, one with data only (for user to input data) and another one contains only chart and analysis (for manager) How can I do it? TIA Peter Select sheets 32-35. Right click and select move or copy, then select new book, click ok. GB "L.Peter" <no@spam.local> wrote in message news:O#T1nMarDHA.2244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi Group, > hope you can help me with this q...

Changing VAT Analysis to GST Analysis
Hey, I am in Australia, and we dont have the VAT....How do you change the Scripting to say GST instead of VAT? Call POSPartners Mr Richad Ranson ( richard@pospartners.com.au ) they have the Australian modifications. Afshin Alikhani = = = "Michael Thomas" <MichaelThomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78F53E93-C30F-468A-BBC6-1E9EDFA190A9@microsoft.com... > Hey, > > I am in Australia, and we dont have the VAT....How do you change the > Scripting to say GST instead of VAT? Hi Michael, You can call me too. I have a major installation running i...

Advanced Analysis Cubes and Multicurrency
We are considersing purchasing the Advanced Analysis Cubes when we upgrade to GP 9.0. We don't use POP, SOP, or inventory but have over 50 entities on GP. Can it pull multicurrency information? At this point I don't know exactly what we would want to pull, possibly look at data in both originating and functional currency. ...

DDE Data analysis
Hello I have a sheet which is connected via DDE, i.e. some cells get updated via API. I would like to analyse this data for high and low values. How can I save this data in other cells or print a chart (dynamicly). To use =MAX() or =MIN() is not good as it is overwritten with new data. Any ideas, links, etc. are welcome. Daniel ...

How do I track montly paycheck advances in Money?
Let's say I make 5,000 in gross earnings a month. My company's electronic paystub only breaks out the taxes and deductions on the monthly earnings, including 401k transfers, which are made on the last day of each month. The paystub shows the payment to my checking account made on the 15th of each month as an "advance", and only shows the net amount. I've been only tracking net pay in Money for a few years now, but I'd like to know of a way to track all the taxes and 401k transfers as well. The only way I can think of doing it is to input the paycheck for ...

Concentration Analysis
I'm analysing a set of data and I need to provide an out put that shows the count i.e. frequency and the sum. Consider the values below: local equivalent 1096.68 6000 513.25 174.45 18000 53.86 399.74 118.73 1010.31 19316.81 8066.49 220000 28.92 1567614.68 206.56 667.75 My output should be: Range No. Value 0 - 25,000 4 30,000 25, 001- 50,000 10 275,000 you might look for FREQUENCY function in Help On 16 Kwi, 08:44, Phillip Olan&...

Windows server 2008 R2 DEFRAG analysis every afternoon? Automatic...
I am seeing event log event 258 every afternoon at 2pm Defrag analysis on every drive on this W2K8 R2 box. The event is: "event 258" "The disk defragmenter successfully completed analysis on drivename (X:)" This is not the Defrag scheduled task, which I have running on the weekend... This is a File Server and the time that this runs does not seem good to me since there are many users with open files at this time. I cannot find where to disable or reschedule this event. Does Anyone knbow about this? Thanks in advance! REP ...

Fragmentation Analysis
Is there a tool to tell how fragmented an Exchange 2003 database is without taking it off-line? On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:29:33 -0800, "Zack" <svoiasgfs@sdlgweg90dflg.com> wrote: >Is there a tool to tell how fragmented an Exchange 2003 database is without >taking it off-line? > Events 1221 in the app log will tell you how much free space is avail in the databases. ...

Viewing the montly report
so i get this notification that the montly report is ready to be viewed, which is great... i view it.. and i expect the little reminder note on the main page to vanish. how do i get that reminder to go away? Thanks Justin Wait a day or two or open the report again. "Justin Rich" <jrich523@yahoo.spam> wrote in message news:%23nLxEe4pHHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > how do i get that reminder to go away? ...

What If Analysis
Wandering what would be the best way to plug in percentages on financials? For example Sales xxx 100% COGS= xxx 70% Gross Margin xxx 30% The actual numbers(xxx) and percentages are 2 separate columns. All numbers are calculated through formulas. I want to be able to punch in for example, 40% for COGS and automatically calculate the number? Not sure how to approach this. Any suggestions? Here's a simple example set-up of a 1-variable data table to illustrate what-if analysis: Assuming you have in A2:B4 Sale...

How can i made a monte Carlo simulation with Excel ?
Do I need some additional stuff ? Thanks Bberni - You could use only Excel features, like the worksheet function RAND() to generate random numbers, the Data Table command to repeatedly recalculate and collect values, the worksheet function FREQUENCY() to summarize results, and the Chart Wizard. Or, you could use an add-in, like my RiskSim at www.treeplan.com, @RISK at www.palisade.com, or Crystal Ball at www.decisioneering.com. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Bberni" <Bberni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:515AE599-7F1C-...

What's a a good cheap Monte Carlo add-in for Excel?
I am looking for an inexpensive add-in to Excell that will allow me to do simple Monte Carlo analysis. Commercial applications are too expensive and unnecessarily advanced for my needs. Any ideas? Thanks Don't know how good it is, but there is a 30-day trial product at http://www.download.com/Monte-Carlo-Add-In-for-Excel/3000-9694_4-10202754.html. If you do a Google with 'Excel add-in Monte Carlo', there will be plenty to research. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Gus" <Gus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...