Duration shown as Calendar Days

  • Follow

Using Project 2003 with a standard calendar and 8 hour days.  My task starts
on Monday, May 3 to Friday, May 28.  The Duration column shows 20 days (20
work days).  Can I show the "duration" (even create a second duration colum?)
as Calendar Days?  In the above task the answer would be 26 days vice 20
days.  Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 4/8/2010 2:43:01 PM

I'm curious what is the purpose of this presentation?

Duration is task duration in working time (not calendar time). That's
the definition.  Check the documentation.

You could create a new custom number field, say, "Calendar Duration" and
use the function DateDiff() to compute it.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 08/04/10 15:43, aesjim wrote:
> Using Project 2003 with a standard calendar and 8 hour days.  My task starts
> on Monday, May 3 to Friday, May 28.  The Duration column shows 20 days (20
> work days).  Can I show the "duration" (even create a second duration colum?)
> as Calendar Days?  In the above task the answer would be 26 days vice 20
> days.  Thanks.
0
Reply Rob 4/8/2010 3:00:59 PM

aesjim --

By default, Microsoft Project measures Duration in working days, as you
already know by now.  If you want to show an alternate Duration measured in
calendar days, you will first need to create a new custom calendar from
scratch (do not copy an existing calendar).  Name the new custom calendar
something like 7 Day Work Week.  On this custom calendar, mark Sundays and
Saturdays as working days with the same working schedule shown for Monday
through Friday on that calendar, such as 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to
5:00 PM.  Then, create a custom task Duration field and name it something
like Calendar Days.  Enter the following formula in the custom field:

ProjDateDiff( [Start], [Finish], "7 Day Work Week")

In the above formula, the 7 Day Work Week item enclosed with double quotes
is the name of the custom calendar you created.  Change this part of the
formula to use your own calendar, if you do not use the same name I used.
Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"aesjim" <aesjim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Project 2003 with a standard calendar and 8 hour days.  My task
> starts
> on Monday, May 3 to Friday, May 28.  The Duration column shows 20 days (20
> work days).  Can I show the "duration" (even create a second duration
> colum?)
> as Calendar Days?  In the above task the answer would be 26 days vice 20
> days.  Thanks.

0
Reply Dale 4/8/2010 3:16:12 PM

(page loaded in 0.054 seconds)