I open a powerpoint attachment, then save, can't find file!

  • Follow

My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email it
back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
the whole presentation unless someone can help.
Powerpoint 2007
Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 2/25/2010 3:50:01 AM

When you save from email, it usually saves in a Temp directory someplace.
You'll want to do a search on the computer for *.PPT files and see if it
turns up.

"jimnginah" <jimnginah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
> Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email
> it
> back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
> original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
> Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
> when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
> documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
> the whole presentation unless someone can help.
> Powerpoint 2007
> Thanks.

0
Reply Echo 2/25/2010 9:13:45 PM

Files opened from an e-mail normally open in a temporary location unless you
choose "Save As" and place them somewhere else.

Did you mean, you chose "Save As" and saved the file to "My Documents" or
you just looked there?\

You can go to Start, Run, type %temp%, and hit Enter -- this will show you
the contents of your temporary folder; poke around there and see if you find
the file. It may not have the exact name.

When you searched for the file, where you seeing hidden files and folders?
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

"jimnginah" <jimnginah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
> Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email
> it
> back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
> original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
> Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
> when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
> documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
> the whole presentation unless someone can help.
> Powerpoint 2007
> Thanks.

0
Reply Jaime 2/25/2010 9:22:50 PM

Another way is to open up an email attachment and hit "Save As" and make note
of where the doc is being saved. You'll find this by clicking on the
drop-down of the Save in option. For example, mine is c > documents and
settings > userid > local settings > temporary internet files > OLK41 --
yours might be different.

"jimnginah" wrote:

> My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
> Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email it
> back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
> original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
> Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
> when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
> documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
> the whole presentation unless someone can help.
> Powerpoint 2007
> Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 2/26/2010 10:50:02 PM