I open a powerpoint attachment, then save, can't find file!

My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email it
back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
the whole presentation unless someone can help.
Powerpoint 2007
Thanks.

When you save from email, it usually saves in a Temp directory someplace.
You'll want to do a search on the computer for *.PPT files and see if it
turns up.

"jimnginah" <jimnginah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
> Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email
> it
> back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
> original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
> Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
> when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
> documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
> the whole presentation unless someone can help.
> Powerpoint 2007
> Thanks.

0
Echo
2/25/2010 9:13:45 PM
Files opened from an e-mail normally open in a temporary location unless you
choose "Save As" and place them somewhere else.

Did you mean, you chose "Save As" and saved the file to "My Documents" or
you just looked there?\

You can go to Start, Run, type %temp%, and hit Enter -- this will show you
the contents of your temporary folder; poke around there and see if you find
the file. It may not have the exact name.

When you searched for the file, where you seeing hidden files and folders?
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

"jimnginah" <jimnginah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
> Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email
> it
> back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
> original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
> Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
> when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
> documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
> the whole presentation unless someone can help.
> Powerpoint 2007
> Thanks.

0
Jaime
2/25/2010 9:22:50 PM
Another way is to open up an email attachment and hit "Save As" and make note
of where the doc is being saved. You'll find this by clicking on the
drop-down of the Save in option. For example, mine is c > documents and
settings > userid > local settings > temporary internet files > OLK41 --
yours might be different.

"jimnginah" wrote:

> My son did a lot of work on a powerpoint he emailed himself from school.
> Then he hit the save button, closed it and went to bed.  I went to email it
> back to him and couldn't find it on the computer anywhere.  I opened the
> original, from the email, hit save, and tried to find it on my computer.
> Nowhere to be found.  It does not show up in the recently opened files, or
> when I search files edited today.  When I click "Save As" it goes to my
> documents, so I looked there, it's not there.  He is going to have to redo
> the whole presentation unless someone can help.
> Powerpoint 2007
> Thanks.

email attachments 12-02-04
I'm unable to attach in photos, orshare any using msn9, but can open explorer and do that from there. It says its been blocked. How do I unblock this. I have to stop and open IE to send anyphotos what so ever. ...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

Problem trying to open old money file

Save as comma csv problems
Hello, I hace Excel 2002. I have near 6000 addresses and contacts and wish to save the xls to a comma csv. I have done that before and then imported the comma csv into my membership program were it says 'import comma csv'. The problem is that some (300 odd) of the records are not imported correctly. I think this maybe because here are some commas in some of the fields eg 24 my street, whatever. Would that be the cause, and if so how can I get rid of all the commas? Many thanks rock I bet it's the way that your membership program works. I'd try this against a copy ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Workflow Configuration File is corrupted
Hi There, Workflow manager is not functioning. Error message: Workflow Manager cannot Start. This could be becouse the workflow configuration file is courrupted, or the MS CRM Workflow Service cannot access the configuration file. how and where should we check and the configuration and how to resolve this problem (Do i have to re-install MS CRM???). Your early response will be much appriciated. I am using MS CRM 3.0. Thanking you in advance, Regard, S Dear All, problem has been resolved by following Neil Haffey 's advice. Thanks a lot Neil. Regards, Syed. "SyedAbdulba...

Attaching hyperlinks in emails
When attaching files or hyperlinks to email, I select the paperclip from the toolbar, select the file, and on the insert button at the bottom right there is a drop down menu which lists Insert, Insert as text, Insert as attachment, and Insert as Hyperlink. I have another computer that lists only the first two options. How do I add the other options to this drop down list? >-----Original Message----- >There are three message formats (HTML, Rich Text and >Plain Text), "Insert as Hyperlink" is only available for >Rich Text format, when you create a new mail the for...

Word forces Save As when Saving
I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007 suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right name. This seems to happen when I've been working in the sam...

Can't save pivot table layout
I'm struggling to understand why Access 2003 can't save pivot table and pivot chart layout. I've tried to: - build a query\view and set pivot table default view: when opening again it shows in datasheet view and switching to pivot table view gives an empty work space; need to place fields in the wizard again. - build a form and set pivot table default view: when opening again it shows pivot table view uncomplete; not all the fileds are there since last save. it is an .adp Access 2003 + SP3 "Marcus" <marcus@idontwant.spam.org> wrote in message news:13q...

Need an open house sign in sheet

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

EXCEL Files open Slow