Bullet Points

Hi

I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is there a
way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have a
bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines how
do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.

I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP

Thanks

Turn on the ruler using View | Ruler.

You will see indent markers -- a triangle pointing downward and a triangle
pointing upward. Drag the bottom one to the right. Do this on the slide
master so it's set up in the placeholder and you don't have to do it every
time.

If you press CTRL while dragging the indent markers, you have finer control
over the placement.

"yellowhouse1976" <yellowhouse1976@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:36AC9AC0-1963-468E-8897-10A8FD68F1C2@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is
> there a
> way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have
> bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines
> how
> do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
>
> I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
>
> Thanks

Echo
12/15/2009 2:29:17 PM
Yellowhouse,
I guess you are using ordinary textboxes to type your text in and not
standard placeholders?
If you are using textboxes, do the following, format a new textbox the way
you want, you can drag the carats in the ruler (view - ruler) to make all
lines line up correctly, just drag the bottom two carats to the setting you
want.
Now, right-click the textbox and choose set standard for AutoShapes. That
should do the trick, this is a presentation setting only, in you want this
for all new presentations you will have to edit blank.dot.
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01010.htm#ppt2003
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

"yellowhouse1976" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is there a
> way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have a
> bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines how
> do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
>
> I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
>
> Thanks

Thanks. I will have a play around. Would I be better off using standard
placeholders? I am afraid I do not know what the difference is.

"Luc" wrote:

> Yellowhouse,
> I guess you are using ordinary textboxes to type your text in and not
> standard placeholders?
> If you are using textboxes, do the following, format a new textbox the way
> you want, you can drag the carats in the ruler (view - ruler) to make all
> lines line up correctly, just drag the bottom two carats to the setting you
> want.
> Now, right-click the textbox and choose set standard for AutoShapes. That
> should do the trick, this is a presentation setting only, in you want this
> for all new presentations you will have to edit blank.dot.
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01010.htm#ppt2003
> Luc Sanders
> MVP - PowerPoint
>
> "yellowhouse1976" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> > slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is there a
> > way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have a
> > bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines how
> > do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> > the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
> >
> > I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
> >
> > Thanks

Thanks but this does not work on the slide I am working with. The ruler view
is on but there is no bottom ident marker to move to line it up.  I am
surprised that PP does not work in the same way as Word in this respect. I
cant see why anyone would not want this as a standard option

I cant do it on the slide master as there are no placeholders to work with

In article <31CBE65C-D5A1-45A2-ACDF-CBD863805973@microsoft.com>, Yellowhouse1976
wrote:
> Thanks. I will have a play around. Would I be better off using standard
> placeholders? I am afraid I do not know what the difference is.

Placeholders are the things you see on pretty much any newly inserted slide that say
"Click to add [title, subtitle, whatever]".  Anything you type into one of them also
appears in the Outline view.

They behave a bit differently than normal text boxes when it comes to bullets and
indents and such.  And they follow the formatting set in the Slide Master.  In other
words, all you have to do is change the formatting of the placeholder on the Master
to change the formatting for all of the text on slides that follow that particular
Master.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
12/15/2009 3:42:37 PM
In article <1FE8A6DD-2E5B-405C-81BD-8DE49135F7A6@microsoft.com>, Yellowhouse1976
wrote:
> Thanks but this does not work on the slide I am working with. The ruler view
> is on but there is no bottom ident marker to move to line it up.

Click on the text you want to work with first.

I am
> surprised that PP does not work in the same way as Word in this respect.

PowerPoint is one program.  Word is another.  Different purposes, different
features.  So it goes.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve

How do you play a power point presentation inside the window only
I have generated excel tutorial like ebook for comfort of the learning of the not so smart. I want to give prompting for the pupil with excel in one window and power point presentation prompts on the other. When you go into play mode, the power point occupies the full screen; the result the excel problem being cited gets closed. So I desire to know whether the power point presentation can be run in window mode without taking the full screen into it. Can somebody help me. PROF. GOVARDHAN JAYANTHI Camp: USA (Originally from India) "PROF. GOVARDHAN JAYANTHI" ...

Bulleted text without bullets
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3355074214_522160 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit OS X 10.6.3 Office 2008 Word 12.2.4 Created a Word document, added bulleted text, saved it, printed it, looked fine. Closed the document and Word. Reopened the same document an hour later and the bullets had changed to small open boxes. Printed it, no bullets, no boxes. Tried to change the boxes back to bullets, couldn�t...

Highlight Data Points that change in Graph
Hi all Is it possible to highlight data points that change slope in Excel 2003 and if so how. Richard ...

Indentation in bulleted list
How do I inent the second line of a bulleted list? Thanks! Is this Word 2007? Then you should right-click the bulleted paragraph and choose Adjust List Indents from the context menu. In the dialog box, "Bullet position" is the distance from the left margin to the bullet character; "Text indent" is the distance to the text from the left margin. For a hanging indent, you would specify a larger value than for "Bullet position." For "Follow number with," choose "Tab character." Select "Add tab stop at," and then specify the ...

Bullet
Dear gurus, is there any way I can insert bullets into excel file? just like in words? thanks in advance. regards, Steven --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.550 / Virus Database: 342 - Release Date: 09-12-2003 No, but you can create a bullet by holding down Alt key while typing 0149 with the numpad, -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Steven Yong" <csyong@ebworx.com> wrote in message news:OajQ5EGwDHA.2492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Dear gurus, > > is there any way I can insert bullets i...

Excel 5 data points
What was the maximum number of data points that could be plotted in a single data series in a two dimensional chart in Excel 5? This number was increased to what number in Excel 97? ...

Simple ( I thought) X Y Axis point plotting
Help . I have been trying and failing to sucessfully plot x , y co ordinates from worksheet data containing 3 columns One being the name of the location the next being the x co ords and the final one bieng the y co ord. I can not get these simple points to be plotted. I am using x,y scatter but tried bubble too Why is this apparently simple task getting the better of me. Ps the number of records may eventualy exceed 255 points and that seems to pop up as an issue too -- Wobbles ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Wobbles's Profile: http://www.theco...

Pointing to a pointer to an .mdb
I have a database called xpto.mdb Several users run it simultaneously without a problem: \ \computername_name\dir\xpto.mdb. The problem is that, as version change (minor changes), I will have xpto-v1.mdb, xpto-v2.mdb, etc. Of course the data is in a different place. I had an idea to force users to move to new .mdb(engine) version every time they exit access. I created a batch file pointing to the last .mdb version and a shortcut to the batch file. Users run the shortcut, the shortcut calls the .bat file, the btch file runs the .mdb file, access starts and it goes(?) well. If there is a n...

System restore points
My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution Service 3.0". How can I find out what that is? I don't think it's my security software downloading updates because the time doesn't correspond to the time of today's update, and my system updates aren't installed automatically. Bobbi Gold "Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message news:uhHKGt7KLHA.4120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution > Service 3.0". How can I find out what...

Line Graph with two different data points
Hello, I am trying to create a line chart with numbers from my product Vs a competitor. The problem i am having is how can i make a chart that will have four data points comparing to each other? For example Product A- 1.5 1.2 1.6 1.8 Product B- 2.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Product A- 70% 20 % 30% 67% Product B- 65% 30% 65% 55% How do i get all of these numbers on one chart? Is a line chart correct. I want to see these numbers compared?? Thank you so much Hi, Since the number don't appear related to the percentages you might plot them on the same chart but two different axes. If they were relate...

adding connection points to pictures?
Can you add connection points to pictures you import from a file? If so how. "beeby@sympatico.ca" <beeby@sympatico.ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84B2FCF8-482F-4AAA-B55A-5ADA031BA239@microsoft.com... > Can you add connection points to pictures you import from a file? If so > how. When you insert an image, it creates a container shape and you can add the connection points to the container shape. John... Visio MVP ...

Bullet list
I have a list of 25 items, each item a new line. I want to apply bullets to each line, but when I highlight the list and go to Bullets and Numbers, only the first line comes out with a bullet. How can I get all the lines with bullets? (Doing each line seperately does not work.) Thanks. For bullets to work there has to be a hard return after each item. Shift+return doesn't work. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Tom C" <TomC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1C9E047-43B8-41EA-8651-AB274DCCDA0C@microsoft.com... >I have a list of 25 items, eac...

Implied Decimal Point
Is there an easy way to handle implied decimal points? I have a field with 10 places, 8 before the decimal, 2 after. (e.g 123456890 = 12,345,678.90). I need to convert this field (and 40 or so like it) to decimal form. I could set up a formula to divide by 100 for each field, but there's got to be an easier, less time-consuming way to do it. Any ideas? I am having trouble picturing 40 or so numeric fields. This doesn't sound too normalized to me. However, dividing by 100 is as good of solution as any (other than possibly normalizing). -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MV...

Bullets
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I am taking notes during class in the notebook layout view. I am having a problem promoting/demoting single bullet headings. When I press tab or shift+tab the line I want moves, plus everything below it. Is there a keyboard shortcut or other way to just promote/demote a single line and not everything underneath it? I realized I posted this in wrong section. Please ignore this post > Hi, I am taking notes during class in the notebook layout view. I am having a problem promoting/demoting single bullet headings. Wh...

inserting specific points on a graph and label them?
Hi, i have excel 03 and have creating a xy scatter graph of frequency response and i need to mark 2 specific points on the graph and label them. Does anyone know how to do this? On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, cj_69 <cj69@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >Hi, i have excel 03 and have creating a xy scatter graph of frequency >response and i need to mark 2 specific points on the graph and label them. >Does anyone know how to do this? Create the following table in a convenient part of your spreadsheet: x1 y1 Comment1 x2 y2 Comment2...

Axis points labels on the xlCategory axis
Hi Folks, I'm looking for a way to change the Category axis column labels with one command, similar to how you would program a series object using the Values property. I know it can be done as you can do it in the UI, unfortunately I haven't a Scooby how to do it in code. Many Thanks -- Regards Rob Pollard My Astro CCD page is: http://www.robpol.demon.co.uk Hey Andy, Thanks!!!!! That does the trick!!! I guess I owe you a few beers! :) -- Regards Rob Pollard My Astro CCD page is: http://www.robpol.demon.co.uk "Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in ...

Power Point Presentation
How do I show the actual date/time in a dias show Which version of PowrPoint are you using, and where do you want the date/time to appear? -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - PowerPoint "Rene Mehlbye" <ReneMehlbye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5A2C97D-F3D8-42F8-B7BB-1BA140A5F682@microsoft.com... > How do I show the actual date/time in a dias show Which version of PPT are you using? -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tiny...

Excel should let you graph every n-th data point in a column
I just want to make the suggestion that you should be able to graph every n-th data point in a set of data on a scatter plot. I have a set of data with thousands of points, and I have a model prediction to match. The best way to differentiate between a set of data and model prediction and experimental data is to make the expermental data points on the graph and make the model predictions a solid line. If you have many expermental data points on a graph, the data looks like a solid line no matter what you do to it. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microso...

Strike Through - Bulleted items
WOrd 2002 I am trying to use "strike through" with a document that contains quite a number of bulleted lists. I carefully select the words in the bullet and apply strike through. But, it strikes through not only the selected text, but also the bullet itself and the empty space between the bullet and the text. I've shut of "smart paragraph selection" to keep it from grabbing more than I want. If I do not select the first character in the text, it works fine. It also works fine if I select from the start but not the end of the text.I've tried turning on ...

Numbering Data Points on Chart
Hello; I've few data series plotted on XY Scatter Chart. Each data series consists of numerous data points numbered 1, 2, 3, ... in a column on the w/s to the left of X values. Let us assume: Series 1 point # :: A2:A20 X Values:: B2:B20 Y Values:: C2:C20 Is there a practical way to display the point # beside the point marker on the 2D chart for all points and for all series ?? (For obviously reasons, one can't treat each point as a series and display series name). Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Create the points using columns B and C, then use one of these f...

Dynamics CRM & Performance Point Server (PPS)
Our challenge is to determine a solution for our client including CRM and BI. Part of the project requires data from disparate systems being consolidated and presented in various formats through CRM. Would anyone care to comment if Performance Point Server (PPS) is our best option? Has anyone been involved or know of projects involving CRM, BI and PPS? A relevant KB would suffice at this point. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, my searches have not revealed a lot. Much appreciate your time to respond. (Same posted in Developers forum) Mandy, You should be able to do al...

SeriesCollection Point
Hello, I would like to be able to select a single point on a chart and then select an icon that would bring up a text box for comments. My problem is how to determine in code which is the point selected on the series. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Bill ...

How do I find value on a graph between data points?
I have a set of data points, ie. x = 1,2,3,4,5,6 corresponding with y=4,17,18,22,15,7 I want a cell that will work out the expected value for y for any value (ie. x=3.3, y=?) when the x value is provided to it from another cell. I want to be able to change that input cell and automatically recalculate the new value of y. I need some kind of routines that finds the data points either side of the required value and interpolate between them. How do I make this routine and carry out the interpolation? Although not designed for this use, the FORECAST function will do an excellent job of...

bullets
There should be some way to customize the bullets as user defined mini-pictures like we do in Word. Can anyone help???? You will have to do it manually "Lavanya" <Lavanya@discussions.microsoft.com> > > There should be some way to customize the bullets as user defined > mini-pictures like we do in Word. Can anyone help???? Lavanya, Dear..........we've covered this issue with you at least two other times. It can't be done. Publisher is not Word. And I'm grateful it isn't. Ever try to do DTP work with Word? YUCK!!! -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsof...

How to link bullet icon to List Bullet style?
In 2007, how can I link the bullet icon to the List Bullet style? Thanks! Sandra You can intercept the built-in FormatBulletDefault command by placing this simple macro in your normal.dotm: Sub FormatBulletDefault() Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style = wdStyleListBullet End Sub For assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm. But note that this macro will only run if you click the Bullet button; it doesn't run if you press the arrow on the Bullet button (which allows you to choose a specific bullet format). To apply the List Bullet style, it's actuall...