Bullet Points

  • Follow

Hi

I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is there a
way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have a
bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines how
do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.

I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP

Thanks

Reply Utf 12/15/2009 1:53:01 PM

Turn on the ruler using View | Ruler.

You will see indent markers -- a triangle pointing downward and a triangle
pointing upward. Drag the bottom one to the right. Do this on the slide
master so it's set up in the placeholder and you don't have to do it every
time.

If you press CTRL while dragging the indent markers, you have finer control
over the placement.

"yellowhouse1976" <yellowhouse1976@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:36AC9AC0-1963-468E-8897-10A8FD68F1C2@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is
> there a
> way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have
> bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines
> how
> do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
>
> I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
>
> Thanks

Reply Echo 12/15/2009 2:29:17 PM

Yellowhouse,
I guess you are using ordinary textboxes to type your text in and not
standard placeholders?
If you are using textboxes, do the following, format a new textbox the way
you want, you can drag the carats in the ruler (view - ruler) to make all
lines line up correctly, just drag the bottom two carats to the setting you
want.
Now, right-click the textbox and choose set standard for AutoShapes. That
should do the trick, this is a presentation setting only, in you want this
for all new presentations you will have to edit blank.dot.
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01010.htm#ppt2003
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

"yellowhouse1976" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is there a
> way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have a
> bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines how
> do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
>
> I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
>
> Thanks

Reply Utf 12/15/2009 2:54:01 PM

Thanks. I will have a play around. Would I be better off using standard
placeholders? I am afraid I do not know what the difference is.

"Luc" wrote:

> Yellowhouse,
> I guess you are using ordinary textboxes to type your text in and not
> standard placeholders?
> If you are using textboxes, do the following, format a new textbox the way
> you want, you can drag the carats in the ruler (view - ruler) to make all
> lines line up correctly, just drag the bottom two carats to the setting you
> want.
> Now, right-click the textbox and choose set standard for AutoShapes. That
> should do the trick, this is a presentation setting only, in you want this
> for all new presentations you will have to edit blank.dot.
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01010.htm#ppt2003
> Luc Sanders
> MVP - PowerPoint
>
> "yellowhouse1976" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> > slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is there a
> > way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have a
> > bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines how
> > do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> > the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
> >
> > I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
> >
> > Thanks

Reply Utf 12/15/2009 3:00:01 PM

Thanks but this does not work on the slide I am working with. The ruler view
is on but there is no bottom ident marker to move to line it up.  I am
surprised that PP does not work in the same way as Word in this respect. I
cant see why anyone would not want this as a standard option

I cant do it on the slide master as there are no placeholders to work with

"Echo S" wrote:

> Turn on the ruler using View | Ruler.
>
> You will see indent markers -- a triangle pointing downward and a triangle
> pointing upward. Drag the bottom one to the right. Do this on the slide
> master so it's set up in the placeholder and you don't have to do it every
> time.
>
> If you press CTRL while dragging the indent markers, you have finer control
> over the placement.
>
> --
> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
> What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
>

> "yellowhouse1976" <yellowhouse1976@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:36AC9AC0-1963-468E-8897-10A8FD68F1C2@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I use PP for design work a lot but I dont use it much for just producing
> > slides for presentations etc. This is probably a daft question but is
> > there a
> > way of making PP deal with bullet points the way I want it to. If you have
> > bullet point which due to the size of the text box carries over 2 lines
> > how
> > do I get PP to line up the second line of text directly under the start of
> > the first instead of being under the bullet point.  Hope that makes sense.
> >
> > I am using PP2003 SP3 with XP
> >
> > Thanks

> .

0
Reply Utf 12/15/2009 3:15:02 PM

In article <31CBE65C-D5A1-45A2-ACDF-CBD863805973@microsoft.com>, Yellowhouse1976
wrote:
> Thanks. I will have a play around. Would I be better off using standard
> placeholders? I am afraid I do not know what the difference is.

Placeholders are the things you see on pretty much any newly inserted slide that say
"Click to add [title, subtitle, whatever]".  Anything you type into one of them also
appears in the Outline view.

They behave a bit differently than normal text boxes when it comes to bullets and
indents and such.  And they follow the formatting set in the Slide Master.  In other
words, all you have to do is change the formatting of the placeholder on the Master
to change the formatting for all of the text on slides that follow that particular
Master.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Reply Steve 12/15/2009 3:42:37 PM

In article <1FE8A6DD-2E5B-405C-81BD-8DE49135F7A6@microsoft.com>, Yellowhouse1976
wrote:
> Thanks but this does not work on the slide I am working with. The ruler view
> is on but there is no bottom ident marker to move to line it up.

Click on the text you want to work with first.

I am
> surprised that PP does not work in the same way as Word in this respect.

PowerPoint is one program.  Word is another.  Different purposes, different
features.  So it goes.

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint