Problems receiving mail atachments

  • Follow

One user send the same mail to me and to other user, I receive the .doc file
as an attachment, but the other user only receive the body of the mail and
the attachment is don�t shown, looking at the properties of the mail the
source of the mail shown that attachment as:

Can anybody help me to resolve this problem to can see the attachment
properly.

--
JG

0
Reply j 7/1/2010 4:38:26 PM

If messages are sent using the Exchange family of mail programs
(includes Windows Messaging or Outlook97/98/2000+) and the option to use
Rich Text Format is selected, it puts the RTF message (and any attached
files) in an attachment called WINMAIL.DAT (application/ms-tnef).  But
this attachment is useless to most other mail programs.  In some mail
programs (e.g. Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail), the
attachment won't even be visible.

The Exchange user can turn off the RTF option for messages to selected
recipients.  Note that if sending via an Exchange server, the Exchange
server administrator may be overriding the mail client settings.  In
this case, the administrator will need to make changes on the server.
In some cases, the Exchange server actually removes the attachments to
some recipients.

For additional information, see the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#ms-tnef
At the above link is information on several utilities that can be used
to recover the attachment if the sender can't or won't resend it in
plain text (or HTML) mode.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"j.mx" <jgallegos@apcm.org.mx> wrote in message
> One user send the same mail to me and to other user, I receive the
> .doc file as an attachment, but the other user only receive the body
> of the mail and the attachment is don�t shown, looking at the
> properties of the mail the source of the mail shown that attachment
> as:

> Can anybody help me to resolve this problem to can see the attachment
> properly.
>

> --
> JG

0
Reply Michael 7/1/2010 6:27:50 PM

I am not sure I understand this correctly.

If the message is composed in RTF this becomes an attachment (I have seen
this phenomenon, I think, but have been able to view the attachment,
woondering why it is the same as the main body.)

But, e.g a Word attachment to an Outlook msg can disappear?  Also the
message-text attachment mentioned above?

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
"Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
> If messages are sent using the Exchange family of mail programs (includes
> Windows Messaging or Outlook97/98/2000+) and the option to use Rich Text
> Format is selected, it puts the RTF message (and any attached files) in an
> attachment called WINMAIL.DAT (application/ms-tnef).  But this attachment
> is useless to most other mail programs.  In some mail programs (e.g.
> Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail), the attachment won't
> even be visible.
>
> The Exchange user can turn off the RTF option for messages to selected
> recipients.  Note that if sending via an Exchange server, the Exchange
> server administrator may be overriding the mail client settings.  In this
> case, the administrator will need to make changes on the server. In some
> cases, the Exchange server actually removes the attachments to some
> recipients.
>
> For additional information, see the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments
> section of
> Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
> http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#ms-tnef
> At the above link is information on several utilities that can be used to
> recover the attachment if the sender can't or won't resend it in plain
> text (or HTML) mode.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "j.mx" <jgallegos@apcm.org.mx> wrote in message
>> One user send the same mail to me and to other user, I receive the .doc
>> file as an attachment, but the other user only receive the body of the
>> mail and the attachment is don�t shown, looking at the properties of the
>> mail the source of the mail shown that attachment as:

>> Can anybody help me to resolve this problem to can see the attachment
>> properly.
>>

>> --
>> JG

0
Reply DAS 7/1/2010 7:18:34 PM

Tell the sender (who's using OL) to send messages only using Plain Text
format, especially if there's an attachment.

j.mx wrote:
> One user send the same mail to me and to other user, I receive the .doc
> file
> as an attachment, but the other user only receive the body of the mail and
> the attachment is don�t shown, looking at the properties of the mail the
> source of the mail shown that attachment as:

> Can anybody help me to resolve this problem to can see the attachment
> properly.

0
Reply PA 7/1/2010 8:56:08 PM

j.mx wrote:

> One user send the same mail to me and to other user, I receive the .doc file
> as an attachment, but the other user only receive the body of the mail and
> the attachment is don�t shown, looking at the properties of the mail the
> source of the mail shown that attachment as:

> Can anybody help me to resolve this problem to can see the attachment
> properly.

When sending a message to multiple recipients, the SAME message gets
sent to ALL recipients.  There is no way to change that.  To send a
different message to different recipients means having to send a
DIFFERENT message to them.  So perhaps the sender sent you one message
(with the attachment) and then sent a different e-mail to the other
recipient (without the attachment).  If the sender claims they sent one
message to both of you then both of you got the same message; however,
that doesn't mean that both of you can properly handle that message.

My guess is that the sender has decided to send their e-mails using RTF
(Rich-Text Format).  Actually RTF is a general category of formatting
and also includes HTML formatting.  Microsoft's version of RTF is TNEF
(Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format).  The formatting of the message
is encapsulated within the attachment so it requires the use of an
e-mail client that can recombine the message with the attachment to
render the formatting.  Here are some articles on Microsoft's
proprietary TNEF (they apply to later versions of Outlook, too):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241538
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290809
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287720
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901035

There is only 1 e-mail client that understands how to use the
winmail.dat attachment: Outlook.  Not even Microsoft's Outlook Express
can use that attachment (and, in fact, will hide it whereas other e-mail
clients will show that attachment although it is unusable to the
recipient).  There are utilities that can process the e-mail along with
the winmail.dat to reconstruct the message, like WinMail Viewer.

RTF (TNEF) should only be used when the sender can guarantee that the
recipient is also using Outlook and that both sender and recipient are
within the same Exchange organization (to prevent corruption of the
attachment during transport).  This means, in most cases, the sender
should only use RTF within their company's Exchange server organization
(i.e., between employees within the same company or its branches or
partners).  Tell the sender to stop sending RTF e-mails and switch to
plain text format (since it is likely that nothing in their message
requires special formatting) or to HTML format (a format that is not
proprietary to Microsoft and its Outlook client).
0
Reply VanguardLH 7/2/2010 3:17:14 PM

The WINMAIL.DAT attachment is a Microsoft invented composite file type
(think of it as sort like a ZIP file).  It contains the Rich text
(bolding, color, fonts, etc.) version of the message, plus it contains
any attachments that the sender might have included (spreadsheet,
pictures, etc.).

Microsoft has declined to put the logic in its free e-mail programs
(Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail) to handle the
WINMAIL.DAT file format.  In fact it has actually put logic in those
programs to hide the WINMAIL.DAT attachment when found.

I believe the Hotmail web site does handle WINMAIL.DAT files.  But once
you download the message into one of Microsoft's free mail clients, it
will disappear.

--

"DAS" <nobody@spam.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am not sure I understand this correctly.
>
> If the message is composed in RTF this becomes an attachment (I have
> seen this phenomenon, I think, but have been able to view the
> attachment, woondering why it is the same as the main body.)
>
> But, e.g a Word attachment to an Outlook msg can disappear?  Also the
> message-text attachment mentioned above?
>
> DAS
>
> To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
> --
> "Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
>> If messages are sent using the Exchange family of mail programs
>> (includes Windows Messaging or Outlook97/98/2000+) and the option to
>> use Rich Text Format is selected, it puts the RTF message (and any
>> attached files) in an attachment called WINMAIL.DAT
>> (application/ms-tnef).  But this attachment is useless to most other
>> mail programs.  In some mail programs (e.g. Outlook Express, Windows
>> Mail, Windows Live Mail), the attachment won't even be visible.
>>
>> The Exchange user can turn off the RTF option for messages to
>> selected recipients.  Note that if sending via an Exchange server,
>> the Exchange server administrator may be overriding the mail client
>> settings.  In this case, the administrator will need to make changes
>> on the server. In some cases, the Exchange server actually removes
>> the attachments to some recipients.
>>
>> For additional information, see the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments
>> section of
>> Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
>> http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#ms-tnef
>> At the above link is information on several utilities that can be
>> used to recover the attachment if the sender can't or won't resend it
>> in plain text (or HTML) mode.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>

>> "j.mx" <jgallegos@apcm.org.mx> wrote in message
>>> One user send the same mail to me and to other user, I receive the
>>> .doc file as an attachment, but the other user only receive the body
>>> of the mail and the attachment is don�t shown, looking at the
>>> properties of the mail the source of the mail shown that attachment
>>> as:

>>> Can anybody help me to resolve this problem to can see the
>>> attachment properly.
>>>

>>> --
>>> JG

0