How to reduce font size for Folder list and email list?

  • Follow

I no longer need huge fonts! Hooray! I know certain areas of OE font size
are governed by IE text size. I changed IE text size to smallest. That
changed the OE "splash" screen size. But how do I change the font size for
Folders on the left and the list of emails on the right?

I also got font size for reading emails and replying and composing changed
to smaller. So, it mostly the two mentioned above that are still in very
large font.

Oh, and looking at the headers as I type this...they are still in very large
font. How do I change that? I'm getting frustrated at how very difficult it
is to change font sizes in browsers (Opera is impossible, IE changes some
things and not others, Fx is the easiest to change but it leaves some stuff
way too large now also).

Are the headers controlled by Windows Display Properties/Advanced Settings
as I haven't changed anything there yet (I use Classic View in XP Pro not XP
view and I also am having the same problems in Vista Ultimate with Windows
Mail where I do not use Aero but use Classic View also).  It is really
irritating to see some font still way too large and other font now smaller.
I am wondering why there is not one simple way to change the font size for
everything from browsers to email clients to Windows Explorer display, etc.
I've had large fonts for so many years now...I had no idea how difficult it
would be to change everything to smaller.  I have left Windows DPI at
120-..maybe I should have changed that first and then other things would not
have needed as much change...but I have used Window DPI of 120 for 12 years
now so I thought I would just leave it and change font sizes but that is
proving hard to do!

0
Reply Melelina 4/18/2010 1:26:53 PM

Right click on the Desktop | Properties | Appearance. If there is an
Advanced button click that. In the Item drop-down box select Icon.  Change
the font size there.

Note that this will change the font size in some other places as well.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message
>I no longer need huge fonts! Hooray! I know certain areas of OE font size
>are governed by IE text size. I changed IE text size to smallest. That
>changed the OE "splash" screen size. But how do I change the font size
>for Folders on the left and the list of emails on the right?
>
> I also got font size for reading emails and replying and composing
> changed to smaller. So, it mostly the two mentioned above that are still
> in very large font.
>
> Oh, and looking at the headers as I type this...they are still in very
> large font. How do I change that? I'm getting frustrated at how very
> difficult it is to change font sizes in browsers (Opera is impossible,
> IE changes some things and not others, Fx is the easiest to change but
> it leaves some stuff way too large now also).
>
> Are the headers controlled by Windows Display Properties/Advanced
> Settings as I haven't changed anything there yet (I use Classic View in
> XP Pro not XP view and I also am having the same problems in Vista
> Ultimate with Windows Mail where I do not use Aero but use Classic View
> also).  It is really irritating to see some font still way too large and
> other font now smaller. I am wondering why there is not one simple way
> to change the font size for everything from browsers to email clients to
> Windows Explorer display, etc. I've had large fonts for so many years
> now...I had no idea how difficult it would be to change everything to
> smaller.  I have left Windows DPI at 120-..maybe I should have changed
> that first and then other things would not have needed as much
> change...but I have used Window DPI of 120 for 12 years now so I thought
> I would just leave it and change font sizes but that is proving hard to
> do!

0
Reply Bruce 4/18/2010 2:26:44 PM

Thanks!!!
But who would know that "icon" in that Advanced Display Properties drop down
list would be the one to affect font size for certain aspects of OE? It was
set on Verdana and 10pt. which was large font...I guess because of using DPI
of 120 because ordinarily 10pt font is not large. I put it at 8 and that
made it just right (and changed the header size too).  A long time ago, I
had to learn by trial and error what each of those items governed in Windows
display, but I don't recall that I knew icon affected parts of OE. Maybe I
knew long ago and forgot because I have had to use big fonts for many years.

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Right click on the Desktop | Properties | Appearance. If there is an
> Advanced button click that. In the Item drop-down box select Icon.  Change
> the font size there.
>
> Note that this will change the font size in some other places as well.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message
>>I no longer need huge fonts! Hooray! I know certain areas of OE font size
>>are governed by IE text size. I changed IE text size to smallest. That
>>changed the OE "splash" screen size. But how do I change the font size for
>>Folders on the left and the list of emails on the right?
>>
>> I also got font size for reading emails and replying and composing
>> changed to smaller. So, it mostly the two mentioned above that are still
>> in very large font.
>>
>> Oh, and looking at the headers as I type this...they are still in very
>> large font. How do I change that? I'm getting frustrated at how very
>> difficult it is to change font sizes in browsers (Opera is impossible, IE
>> changes some things and not others, Fx is the easiest to change but it
>> leaves some stuff way too large now also).
>>
>> Are the headers controlled by Windows Display Properties/Advanced
>> Settings as I haven't changed anything there yet (I use Classic View in
>> XP Pro not XP view and I also am having the same problems in Vista
>> Ultimate with Windows Mail where I do not use Aero but use Classic View
>> also).  It is really irritating to see some font still way too large and
>> other font now smaller. I am wondering why there is not one simple way to
>> change the font size for everything from browsers to email clients to
>> Windows Explorer display, etc. I've had large fonts for so many years
>> now...I had no idea how difficult it would be to change everything to
>> smaller.  I have left Windows DPI at 120-..maybe I should have changed
>> that first and then other things would not have needed as much
>> change...but I have used Window DPI of 120 for 12 years now so I thought
>> I would just leave it and change font sizes but that is proving hard to
>> do!

0
Reply Melelina 4/19/2010 4:57:01 AM

You're welcome. (Icon doesn't really jump out and grab you when looking
for this) <w>.
--

> Thanks!!!
> But who would know that "icon" in that Advanced Display Properties drop
> down list would be the one to affect font size for certain aspects of
> OE? It was set on Verdana and 10pt. which was large font...I guess
> because of using DPI of 120 because ordinarily 10pt font is not large. I
> put it at 8 and that made it just right (and changed the header size
> too).  A long time ago, I had to learn by trial and error what each of
> those items governed in Windows display, but I don't recall that I knew
> icon affected parts of OE. Maybe I knew long ago and forgot because I
> have had to use big fonts for many years.
>

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Right click on the Desktop | Properties | Appearance. If there is an
>> Advanced button click that. In the Item drop-down box select Icon.
>> Change the font size there.
>>
>> Note that this will change the font size in some other places as well.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message
>>>I no longer need huge fonts! Hooray! I know certain areas of OE font
>>>size are governed by IE text size. I changed IE text size to smallest.
>>>That changed the OE "splash" screen size. But how do I change the font
>>>size for Folders on the left and the list of emails on the right?
>>>
>>> I also got font size for reading emails and replying and composing
>>> changed to smaller. So, it mostly the two mentioned above that are
>>> still in very large font.
>>>
>>> Oh, and looking at the headers as I type this...they are still in very
>>> large font. How do I change that? I'm getting frustrated at how very
>>> difficult it is to change font sizes in browsers (Opera is impossible,
>>> IE changes some things and not others, Fx is the easiest to change but
>>> it leaves some stuff way too large now also).
>>>
>>> Are the headers controlled by Windows Display Properties/Advanced
>>> Settings as I haven't changed anything there yet (I use Classic View
>>> in XP Pro not XP view and I also am having the same problems in Vista
>>> Ultimate with Windows Mail where I do not use Aero but use Classic
>>> View also).  It is really irritating to see some font still way too
>>> large and other font now smaller. I am wondering why there is not one
>>> simple way to change the font size for everything from browsers to
>>> email clients to Windows Explorer display, etc. I've had large fonts
>>> for so many years now...I had no idea how difficult it would be to
>>> change everything to smaller.  I have left Windows DPI at 120-..maybe
>>> I should have changed that first and then other things would not have
>>> needed as much change...but I have used Window DPI of 120 for 12 years
>>> now so I thought I would just leave it and change font sizes but that
>>> is proving hard to do!

0
Reply Bruce 4/19/2010 2:21:15 PM

(page loaded in 0.285 seconds)