not a valid .pst

  • Follow

I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I have
also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
same error?
0
Reply Utf 2/11/2010 7:06:01 PM

Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you upgraded
from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in the
new format
If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
backup maybe all is lost.
Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
> 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I
> have
> also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
> either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
> same error?

0
Reply DL 2/11/2010 7:32:12 PM

When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I selected the
file.

"DL" wrote:

> Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you upgraded
> from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in the
> new format
> If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
> backup maybe all is lost.
> Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
>
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
> > 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> > scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I
> > have
> > also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
> > either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
> > same error?
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 2/11/2010 8:34:01 PM

Did you have Outlook closed at the time?

> When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I selected
the
> file.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you
upgraded
> > from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in
the
> > new format
> > If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
> > backup maybe all is lost.
> > Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
> >
> > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in
outlook
> > > 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> > > scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I
> > > have
> > > also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the
file
> > > either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get
the
> > > same error?
> >

> > .

0
Reply Kathleen 2/11/2010 8:40:28 PM

Yes

"Kathleen Orland" wrote:

> Did you have Outlook closed at the time?
>
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I selected
> the
> > file.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you
> upgraded
> > > from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in
> the
> > > new format
> > > If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
> > > backup maybe all is lost.
> > > Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
> > >
> > > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> outlook
> file
> the
> > >

> > > .
> > >

> .

0
Reply Utf 2/11/2010 9:26:01 PM

Give this a try, but there's no guarantee:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.asp

> Yes
>
> "Kathleen Orland" wrote:
>
> > Did you have Outlook closed at the time?
> >
> > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I
selected
> > the
> > > file.

> > upgraded
> > the
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088

> > outlook
> > file
> > the

> > .

0
Reply Kathleen 2/11/2010 9:36:41 PM

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
> 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I have
> also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
> either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
> same error?

Chances approach unity that you're out of luck.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Reply Brian 2/11/2010 11:06:55 PM