not a valid .pst

I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I have
also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
same error?

Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you upgraded
from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in the
new format
If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
backup maybe all is lost.
Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
> 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I
> have
> also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
> either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
> same error?

0
DL
2/11/2010 7:32:12 PM
When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I selected the
file.

"DL" wrote:

> Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you upgraded
> from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in the
> new format
> If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
> backup maybe all is lost.
> Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
>
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
> > 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> > scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I
> > have
> > also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
> > either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
> > same error?
>

> .

Did you have Outlook closed at the time?

> When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I selected
the
> file.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you
upgraded
> > from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in
the
> > new format
> > If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
> > backup maybe all is lost.
> > Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
> >
> > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in
outlook
> > > 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> > > scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I
> > > have
> > > also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the
file
> > > either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get
the
> > > same error?
> >

> > .

0
Kathleen
2/11/2010 8:40:28 PM
Yes

"Kathleen Orland" wrote:

> Did you have Outlook closed at the time?
>
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I selected
> the
> > file.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > Outlook 2003 doesnt have any such size issues, unless of course you
> upgraded
> > > from an earlier version of outlook and didnt create a new data file in
> the
> > > new format
> > > If scanpst and third party tools are unable to access the data file, or
> > > backup maybe all is lost.
> > > Allthough have you tried this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
> > >
> > > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> outlook
> file
> the
> > >

> > > .
> > >

> .

Give this a try, but there's no guarantee:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.asp

> Yes
>
> "Kathleen Orland" wrote:
>
> > Did you have Outlook closed at the time?
> >
> > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I tried the tool it said that it was not a valid pst when I
selected
> > the
> > > file.

> > upgraded
> > the
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088

> > outlook
> > file
> > the

> > .

0
Kathleen
2/11/2010 9:36:41 PM
"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have been trying to help a co-worker recover an oversized pst in outlook
> 2003, it got up to 2.6 GB and now it will not open.  I tried running
> scanpst.exe and it came back saying it couldn't recognize the file.  I have
> also tried third party recovery tools and they can not recognize the file
> either.  Is there any way to recover the file as the backup copies get the
> same error?

Chances approach unity that you're out of luck.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Synchronizing .PST Files Between Multiple Computers
Hi Folks! What is the best way to keep two different .PST synchronized between two different computers? Currently, I have a Exchange account at work and a personal folder file with my personal calendar, contacts, etc. I, periodically, export the Exchange stuff to a .PST file and my personal .PST and bring it home to my computer there. I, periodically, export to the personal .PST file and then bring it back to work and import it there. Is there a better way to do this so that I don't have to keep importing/exporting all the time. Thank you very much! - Lawrence Lawrence &l...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Outlook 2003 Archival
Hello, I have auto archive set on all users desktops on my LAN. I can not rely on the users to archive, or to save that file to their users folder. So I have all outlook 2003 on the LAN to run every 14 days, archive or delete mail greater than 6 months. For people that need mail greater than 6 months, I save the archive.pst file to a local server of mine this way it gets backed up nightly. I know this is not supported by MS as there can be corruption in the file, but ----- I really have no choice, it can not stay on their desktop (no backup), and for them to move the fi...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

validating macro
Hi I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user to complete the form and then take them straight to the (common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the tab which they want to go to. Use an extended version of something along these lines: (if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y' or 'do until' statment, o...

Reboot Validator
I'm running XP Pro, SP3. Attempting to install a program from Nero. Software keeps failing at startup, despite numerous re-installs. During installs, it keeps attempting to update the 'reboot validator' which it does not seem to be able to do. What is the reboot validator, and how do I update it. Couldn't find anything useful on MS site and Nero Tech support just says its an MS problem. -- Thank you, B. Parker Never heard of it but Nero Support should know about it: Reboot Validator appears to be a Nero component; cf. http://www.brighthub.com/comput...

Conditional validation?
Hello All I have a sheet that is essentially just columns of data (except for the column headings in the first row), and two of the columns are what I would call 'mutually exclusive': i.e. if a value is entered in a row in either column, the user must be prevented from entering any value in the same row of the other column. The two columns already have some basic validation applied (ranges of permissable numerical values), and this validation would need to be applied for any values that are entered. I am sure this can be done, but cannot see how! Hope someone can help. Many thanks L...

REPOST: dynamic validation
I think I wasn't clear that I need the Validation option under the Data menu, List, source values. That is what I am trying to fill with this equation. In other words, range1 and range2 are sets cells which contain values. I want those values to be the dropdown options in the cell based on what the previous cell to the left is selected as. So if Range1 is three cells with Tall, Dark, Handsome and Range2 is Sweet, Pretty, Nice, then based on the selection of F or M in A1, I want the choices for B1 to be one of those lists. I know that quotes are required for the IF. My probl...

Excel 2000 vs 2002 Sheet protection & Validation cells
Hello, I have an Excel spreadsheet built on Excel 2000. I have set sheet protection with password, and I have some unprotected cells with drop down menu (validation with 50 choices) Everything works very well. I sent this file to a friend who has Excel 2002. The same "unprotected" validation cells cannot be modified in his version as the message says that these cells are protected What can be done in order to make it work on his version?? I do have some "very hidden" sheet with password protected VBA properties, if that is an issue. Similarly there are some macros o...

Can not import copy of outlook.pst file
My computer crashed and I was able to save a copy of my outlook.pst file. I had to reload the entire machine starting with the Windows 2000. I set up outlook exactly the same on the new configuration and tried to use the copy of the outlook.pst file. First I tried to just change the name to the default. Next I tried to import the outlook2.pst file from before the crash. I recieved the same error message each time: "File access denied, you do not have the required permission to access the file". The OS userid and password is the same as before and I did not have a pas...

How to use data validation
[NB: I re-structure my question since people got misled from my previous one] What I really wish to ask is: I wish to use data validation for a particular cell. But it doesn't work if I choose "custom" in the "allow" box. 1) In Data | Validation | Settings Tab | Validation Criteria, there is an "Allow" Box. 2) I chose "custom", there is a formula. 3) I type in some formula, eg: =J3 (Just Reference) =J3-J1 (Reference-type formula) =round(J1) (Function-type formula) None of them can activate the validation fu...

Importing .pst file #4
Having restored my PC to factory settings I am trying to import a .pst file I saved previously. Outlook is telling me its not a personal folders file. It has to be! I exported it from Outlook and it saved as outlook.pst. Anything else I can try? Import/export is never the way to save an Outlook data file. Simply copy the file and open it in the new Outlook installation. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Trevor ...

Convert PST to DBX and vice versa
My outlook PST file convert to outlook express DBX file (Apparently by people who don't know enough). The problem is that using outlook express a lot of the Contact information is missing. I have two questions 1. Is it possible to convert DBX back to PST/PAB 2. Does the missing information lost forever. TX Moshe 1) No, you import/export to one another 2) When you don't have the original anymore; Yes, since it''s not a conversion but an import/export -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an O...

Refer to seperate workbook for validation list for drop downs?
Id like to keep my validation data for drop downs in a seperate workbook so that many users/worksheets can reference it. However- data validation doesnt seem to let me reference named ranges in a seperate workbook- any advise out there? -- Dee Visit Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html But take note that the other workbook has to be open. Dee wrote: > > Id like to keep my validation data for drop downs in a seperate workbook so > that many users/worksheets can reference it. However- data validation doesnt > seem to let me reference named r...

Email Validation
I was testing this email validation rule. Is Null Or ((Like "*?@?*.com") Or (Like "*?@?*.org") Or (Like "*?@?*.net") Or (Like "*?@?*.mil") Or (Like "*?@?*.US") And (Not Like "*[ ,;]*" And Not Like "*.@*")) ...but noticed I was able to input .@any.com ... e.g., I was trying to prevent user typing a .@ [that is a dot@] using the ... And Not Like "*.@*")) .. but it must be getting cancelled out by something previous in the validation string. Any suggestions? You could use a routine such as: P...

open pst file?
I received an email on outlook and saved it to a file in my docs to review later. Now, I tried to open a pst file in the email and was given a message that there is no program available to open it, or something to that effect. I have gone to the office website--no info. I read the discussion postings here and the closest one seems to suggest a solution through explorer somehow. I am not versed in these issues. It would seem there would be a built-in solution for this but apparently not. I am stuck! You have to use your email client to import a PST file. Go to FILE>IMPORT AND E...

Data Validation: Validate Specific Day of the Week?
Users will enter a date in cell D6. The date they enter must be a Monday. How can I validate for that? Thanks, -Ted I entered dates in E1:E10. I selected E1 In the Data | Validation dialog, I used Custom and entered =WEEKDAY(E1)=2 I selected all the dates and opened Data | Validation; it offered to apply the validation to all the cells Done best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Ted" <ted.gallagher@gmail.com> wrote in message news:#o$yRC6vKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Users will enter a date in ce...

help to restore pst files
I took a copy of address book and inbox , and now I want to rstore them in outlook after re-installind windows xp. Any help?????? Arthur "arthur" <arthurgregorian@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:189f01c426e2$3760c650$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I took a copy of address book and inbox , and now I want > to rstore them in outlook after re-installind windows xp. > Any help?????? > > Arthur > Your address book and inbox should all be in ONE pst file. What exactly did you copy? Copy the pst file to your HDD, remove any read-only attribute, and then in Outlook g...

Data validation for 2 valid values
I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list appear. How do I do that with Data->Validation? Data>validation>allow>list, put the 2 values separated by a comma in the source box, uncheck in cell dropdown -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:ujuB%23w52DHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list > appear. > > How do I do that with Data->Validation? > > Using a list, as Peo suggested, will force users to match the ...