Links truncated when sending

  • Follow

Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any link
I send is pasted in full in the body?

Thanks for any help.
0
Reply Utf 11/15/2009 5:39:01 PM

pubscout wrote:

> Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
> have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
> thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any link
> I send is pasted in full in the body?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Apparently these recipients are using e-mail client that cannot maintain
a string as a clickable link when it wraps to the next physical line in
the body of an e-mail.  You can't do anything about the limitations in
the e-mail clients used by your recipients.

You could, however, shorten those links.  There are several sites that
will generate short-links that redirect to the target (long) link.  I
settled on TinyURL.com (because some of the others were down too often).
Also, a feature with TinyURL is that you can use the "preview" hostname
in their URL which will take the recipient to TinyURL's page to show the
user to where that short-link will redirect.  Often users do not like
clicking on links if they don't know to where they go.  There are lots
of these redirection services available and many are used by spammers
and phishers (in fact, some are so heavily abused and the service
provider does absolutely nothing to terminate those redirects that they
are only for those uses).  TinyURL is very responsive to abuse reports,
like for spam using them, so redirect links through TinyURL get quickly
deleted if reported for abuse.

You would post the long link in your e-mail for those recipients whose
e-mail client can handle the line-wrap.  You would follow with the
shorter link that redirects to the long link.  You might have something
like the following:

The Symantec help article below explains how to resolve the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090317165130EN&selected_nav=partner
(short URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yf7mc3g)

Then if the recipient's e-mail client doesn't create a link that
consists of the full URL string despite line-wrapping or truncates it,
that recipient can still use the short link to redirect to the same
place (and using "preview" lets them see to where they are going before
they go there so they have a choice).  Unless a recipient trusts you
completely and always, don't expect them to click on links where they
don't get a choice to know to where those links go.
0
Reply VanguardLH 11/15/2009 9:27:55 PM

Thanks for that tip. I have also found the following solution. I click on
"send link via email" in IE8. When the message boc pops up, I go to options
and change the message to rich text or html. I place my cursor after the
hyperlink and click "Return" which "lights up" the hyperlink. Then I right
click and click "Select Hyperlink" then "Edit Hyperlink." Then I change the
hyperlink to what I want.

Seems to work OK, according to recipients. Sounds convoluted, but it's
really pretty easy and fast.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> pubscout wrote:
>
> > Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
> > have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
> > thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any link
> > I send is pasted in full in the body?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> Apparently these recipients are using e-mail client that cannot maintain
> a string as a clickable link when it wraps to the next physical line in
> the body of an e-mail.  You can't do anything about the limitations in
> the e-mail clients used by your recipients.
>
> You could, however, shorten those links.  There are several sites that
> will generate short-links that redirect to the target (long) link.  I
> settled on TinyURL.com (because some of the others were down too often).
> Also, a feature with TinyURL is that you can use the "preview" hostname
> in their URL which will take the recipient to TinyURL's page to show the
> user to where that short-link will redirect.  Often users do not like
> clicking on links if they don't know to where they go.  There are lots
> of these redirection services available and many are used by spammers
> and phishers (in fact, some are so heavily abused and the service
> provider does absolutely nothing to terminate those redirects that they
> are only for those uses).  TinyURL is very responsive to abuse reports,
> like for spam using them, so redirect links through TinyURL get quickly
> deleted if reported for abuse.
>
> You would post the long link in your e-mail for those recipients whose
> e-mail client can handle the line-wrap.  You would follow with the
> shorter link that redirects to the long link.  You might have something
> like the following:
>
> The Symantec help article below explains how to resolve the problem:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090317165130EN&selected_nav=partner
> (short URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yf7mc3g)
>
> Then if the recipient's e-mail client doesn't create a link that
> consists of the full URL string despite line-wrapping or truncates it,
> that recipient can still use the short link to redirect to the same
> place (and using "preview" lets them see to where they are going before
> they go there so they have a choice).  Unless a recipient trusts you
> completely and always, don't expect them to click on links where they
> don't get a choice to know to where those links go.
> .

0
Reply Utf 11/16/2009 2:24:12 PM

"pubscout" <pubscout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
> have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
> thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any
> link
> I send is pasted in full in the body?

I usually just surround them with <...> and they appear to remain clickable
even when wrapped.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

1
Reply Brian 11/16/2009 4:24:00 PM

pubscout wrote:

> Thanks for that tip. I have also found the following solution. I click on
> "send link via email" in IE8. When the message boc pops up, I go to options
> and change the message to rich text or html. I place my cursor after the
> hyperlink and click "Return" which "lights up" the hyperlink. Then I right
> click and click "Select Hyperlink" then "Edit Hyperlink." Then I change the
> hyperlink to what I want.
>
> Seems to work OK, according to recipients. Sounds convoluted, but it's
> really pretty easy and fast.

Only works when you send in HTML format.  What if the recipient's e-mail
client doesn't support HTML?  Or the recipient configures their e-mail
client to read in plain-text mode only?  Again, how are you going to
guarantee what features or configuration is available in the recipient's
e-mail client?
0
Reply VanguardLH 11/16/2009 7:02:17 PM

(page loaded in 0.083 seconds)