Links truncated when sending

Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any link
I send is pasted in full in the body?

Thanks for any help.

pubscout wrote:

> Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
> have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
> thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any link
> I send is pasted in full in the body?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Apparently these recipients are using e-mail client that cannot maintain
a string as a clickable link when it wraps to the next physical line in
the body of an e-mail.  You can't do anything about the limitations in
the e-mail clients used by your recipients.

You could, however, shorten those links.  There are several sites that
will generate short-links that redirect to the target (long) link.  I
settled on TinyURL.com (because some of the others were down too often).
Also, a feature with TinyURL is that you can use the "preview" hostname
in their URL which will take the recipient to TinyURL's page to show the
user to where that short-link will redirect.  Often users do not like
clicking on links if they don't know to where they go.  There are lots
of these redirection services available and many are used by spammers
and phishers (in fact, some are so heavily abused and the service
provider does absolutely nothing to terminate those redirects that they
are only for those uses).  TinyURL is very responsive to abuse reports,
like for spam using them, so redirect links through TinyURL get quickly
deleted if reported for abuse.

You would post the long link in your e-mail for those recipients whose
e-mail client can handle the line-wrap.  You would follow with the
shorter link that redirects to the long link.  You might have something
like the following:

The Symantec help article below explains how to resolve the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090317165130EN&selected_nav=partner
(short URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yf7mc3g)

Then if the recipient's e-mail client doesn't create a link that
consists of the full URL string despite line-wrapping or truncates it,
that recipient can still use the short link to redirect to the same
place (and using "preview" lets them see to where they are going before
they go there so they have a choice).  Unless a recipient trusts you
completely and always, don't expect them to click on links where they
don't get a choice to know to where those links go.
0
VanguardLH
11/15/2009 9:27:55 PM
Thanks for that tip. I have also found the following solution. I click on
"send link via email" in IE8. When the message boc pops up, I go to options
and change the message to rich text or html. I place my cursor after the
hyperlink and click "Return" which "lights up" the hyperlink. Then I right
click and click "Select Hyperlink" then "Edit Hyperlink." Then I change the
hyperlink to what I want.

Seems to work OK, according to recipients. Sounds convoluted, but it's
really pretty easy and fast.

"pubscout" <pubscout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Frequently, when I go a site and send the link to my email recipients, they
> have complained that the link gets truncated in the body of the message,
> thereby rendering the link unfindable. Is there a way to insure that any
> link
> I send is pasted in full in the body?

I usually just surround them with <...> and they appear to remain clickable
even when wrapped.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

2
Brian
11/16/2009 4:24:00 PM
pubscout wrote:

> Thanks for that tip. I have also found the following solution. I click on
> "send link via email" in IE8. When the message boc pops up, I go to options
> and change the message to rich text or html. I place my cursor after the
> hyperlink and click "Return" which "lights up" the hyperlink. Then I right
> click and click "Select Hyperlink" then "Edit Hyperlink." Then I change the
> hyperlink to what I want.
>
> Seems to work OK, according to recipients. Sounds convoluted, but it's
> really pretty easy and fast.

Only works when you send in HTML format.  What if the recipient's e-mail
client doesn't support HTML?  Or the recipient configures their e-mail
client to read in plain-text mode only?  Again, how are you going to
guarantee what features or configuration is available in the recipient's
e-mail client?
0
VanguardLH

Change link between form and subform

Add "Send Email" to Marketing List member views
This feature not being there is a fairly significant missing feature in the system. -- Nick ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cc08d83f-e13c-4bd7-9e05-ddcf4a...

Send To and pdf and Outlook 2007 and Server 2008 and SQL 2005
Hi all, I am having trouble with simply sending pdf documents from the screen layout window for any report generated in GP. I can however send a txt report via email using the Send To functionality. The button is active as is the option to select either Txt or Pdf but the new message window that normally opens up for you to insert a mail address (with the respective attachment) simply does not open. My client is using Outlook 2007, the server is on Server 2008 running SQL 2005 SP3. We get the same issue from all clients as well - the clients are on Windows XP or Visat combination. ...

send outgoing mail through the front-end server
Currently, I have a front-end server that provides OWA services and receives all incoming mail, which is then forwarded to the backend server. All outbound mail is currently sent directly from the backend server out to the Internet. This, of course caused issues with mail providers that used reverse dns. Although I created a band-aid solution, I would like to know what would be the possibility and ramifications of forwarding the outbound mail through the front end server. So, then all Internet mail would flow through that device. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. You could ...

linking #4

Linked Forms

outlook 2003 has 2 "send" labels in the send receive drop down
hi, sometimes, i have to reboot my machine because the send recieve button in outlook does not work, when i go to the drop down menu, i dont see any of my "accounts" listed, and I see the word "send", then the next line is duplicated and also says 'send". the only way to get back to "normal" is to reboot the whole system until it happens again. This usually happens once per day. Close Outlook. Do a search for the outcmd.dat file (this is a hidden file so you'll have to either tell Windows Explorer to unhide it or search hidden files and folder...

Another Cannot Send Mail Post
This inability to send email is going on way too long and is effecting my business. I use Verizon at home with my wireless laptop. Have been successfully sending & receiving email for years. Then all of the sudden a couple weeks ago I began getting the following error message (which others have posted as well): The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'SENDING FROM SHOP EMAIL VIA LAPTOP', Account: 'mail.icecreamshop.com', Server: 'mail.icecreamshop.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E ...

Links not linking

Cannot send E-Mails, but can Receive them -- Outlook 2003
Okay, I'm completely baffeled by this one. I have two Windows XP machines (one desktop and one laptop), both with Service Pack 2 (and up to date), and both have Outlook 2003 installed on them. I've set them both up with the exact same account with the exact same account configuration options; the desktop sends and receives just as it should, the laptop can only receive. On the Laptop, when I go into the "E-Mail Accounts" configuration screen and click on the "Test Account Settings..." button, a dialog box comes up with two tabs. The first tab shows that th...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Send e-mail to newly created user
I know I can change the Welcome.msg file to customize the Welcome message generated when Outlook is first started. I want this welcome message to be initiated from the server and not the client. I can write a script, looking at the creation date of a user and send it an e-mail and schedule this script. But is there another way to this? Thanx. On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 04:52:02 -0700, Gerdo Lansing <GerdoLansing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know I can change the Welcome.msg file to customize the Welcome message >generated when Outlook is first started. >I want this welcom...

cannot send email
can recieve but not send. tried setting my default as noted in another item but still cannot send. recieve this message. The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'lyndact1@verizon.net'. Subject ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Cannot send email to large distribution groups.
We have a small business. Recently upgraded to Windows XP and to Outlook as email tool. Imported old Outlook Express address book to Outlook Contacts. All seemed to work fine, except... Now we cannot send emails to large (+900) Distribution Groups that we could do with Outlook Express. Are there some maximums or settings I am missing? Thanks for help. The number of recipients is set by your mail server or by your ISP. Contact them to see if perhaps they lowered their threshold. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to ...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

Send as an attachment
We have 3 Windows 2003 Server running Terminal Server with Office XP standard (also know as Office 2002). We are running Exhcange 5.5 sp4 on a seperate NT 4.0 sp6a server. Our users no longer have the option "send to Mail recipient as an attachmnet". No new software has been installed or changed. The only thing I can think of that does any updates is the Windows System Update program. It updates when updates are available. It first started off for only a few people but as of Monday, No one has the option except users with administrator rights. Any and all help will be appr...

Send/Receive Mail
When I try to send/receive mail, it tells me to: Log On to XXX.XXXXXXXXXX.CA Please verify that both the username and password are correct for your mail server. it also has Remember my credentials checked Now every time I try to send/receive mail, I enter my logon name and password and it comes up with this: Account: 'xxx.xxxxxxxxxx.ca', Server: 'pop.lightspeed.ca', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Authentication failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SAL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 I can still send emails out, so...

email links in Publisher pdf

Send a delayed email
:confused: I would like to send an email in a week time. Setting up the email was no problem - it is now sitting in my Outbox waiting for the right time to be sent. My question is thogh - will the email be sent even when I'm logged out from my PC? I won't be in the office when my email is meant to be sent so I can't be sure that it will... Any ideas? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you are using a POP3 account, or an otherwise PC-bas...

unable to send emails
I have been using Outlook 2000 with my website thru Citymaker with no problems for over a year. I started getting the following error when trying to send an email: unable to connect to server. (acct: "FengShuiZ mail" SMTP server: mai. Citymaker.com' error # 0x800ccc0e). The technical support put a link for troubleshooting, but it was for Outlook Express. I clicked start, run, typed in cmd, and then typed: netsh int ip reset c:/resetlog.txt I still can't send emails, and it doesn't acknowledge it is trying to send it. I receive messages fine. I am using Outlo...

Chart template and links

cannot send outgoing mail
Suddenly I can no longer SEND outgoing emails in my Outlook Express 6. I can compose but when I click send I get an error msg that connection to the server was interupted #0x800ccc0f and the message gets put in my outbox and goes nowhere. The Microsoft Outlook error page stated that the problem could be caused by using a Linksys router, that there may be a misconfigured router in the path. I tried system restore to an earlier day in the week when everything worked fine. This did nothing for me. I also changed the MTU setting for the router and still it does not work. Interestingly en...