Garbled incoming e-mails in Outlook 2003

  • Follow

About xix months ago I noticed an intermittent problem with my incoming
e-mails.  Some would arrive with blank "To" fields, blank Subject lines, and
a bunch of data that showed the body of the e-mail did not arrive completely.
 It's getting worse.  My e-mail is hosted by Network Solutions.  Their
webmail works fine; the e-mails just can't seem to get from them to Outlook
2003 in one piece all the time.  The problem happens whether I go through my
Cox Communicatitons cable modem or my ATT Laplink Cart.  Is the problem with
Outlook?  Should I run "detect and repair."  Should I reinstall?  If I do
reinstall, I do I make sure all my Outlook subfolders, etc. will be restored?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Dan

0
Reply Utf 2/2/2010 1:29:01 AM

The only time I have seen what you describe is when the sender sets the
message encoding to "User Defined".  If the sender sets this correctly to
their region (e.g. Western European) then all is well.  You can tell if this
is the case by look at the header of the message as it will state the
content type.

/neo

PS - reinstalling will not fix.  the sender must switch to a different
encoding type.

"Dan Schultz" <DanSchultz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About xix months ago I noticed an intermittent problem with my incoming
> e-mails.  Some would arrive with blank "To" fields, blank Subject lines,
> and
> a bunch of data that showed the body of the e-mail did not arrive
> completely.
> It's getting worse.  My e-mail is hosted by Network Solutions.  Their
> webmail works fine; the e-mails just can't seem to get from them to
> Outlook
> 2003 in one piece all the time.  The problem happens whether I go through
> my
> Cox Communicatitons cable modem or my ATT Laplink Cart.  Is the problem
> with
> Outlook?  Should I run "detect and repair."  Should I reinstall?  If I do
> reinstall, I do I make sure all my Outlook subfolders, etc. will be
> restored?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank you.
> Dan