Does Outlook reply to bcc recipients on a reply to all?

  • Follow

Hi

I've just had a minor email disaster where someone, who shouldn't have
received a copy of an email I sent, got one. The incoming email to which I
was replying was sent to me and one other recipient. Clearly I could not see
whether it had been bcc-ed to anyone apart from the two recipients I could
see. I replied to all and could see that it went only to the intended
recipients, but it became clear a few days later that someone else had
received a copy. Given who they are, it seems possible that the original
email may have been bcc-ed to them. Could my 'reply to all' have triggered a
bcc back to them of my reply?

Both 'official' recipients vehemently deny that they leaked and having seen
what the unintended recipient received, it doesn't look like it was
forwarded. The evidence seems to suggest that I inadvertently triggered a bcc
without being able to see I had done it.

Is this possible or do I have a leaky colleague? I am on Outlook 2007 on W7
Pro.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

TP
0
Reply Utf 3/15/2010 11:31:01 AM

You've got a leak.  Remember what House says on the TV show:  "Everyone
lies."  Reply All will not go to BCC recipients.
--
Bill

"Tim P" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just had a minor email disaster where someone, who shouldn't have
> received a copy of an email I sent, got one. The incoming email to which I
> was replying was sent to me and one other recipient. Clearly I could not see
> whether it had been bcc-ed to anyone apart from the two recipients I could
> see. I replied to all and could see that it went only to the intended
> recipients, but it became clear a few days later that someone else had
> received a copy. Given who they are, it seems possible that the original
> email may have been bcc-ed to them. Could my 'reply to all' have triggered a
> bcc back to them of my reply?
>
> Both 'official' recipients vehemently deny that they leaked and having seen
> what the unintended recipient received, it doesn't look like it was
> forwarded. The evidence seems to suggest that I inadvertently triggered a bcc
> without being able to see I had done it.
>
> Is this possible or do I have a leaky colleague? I am on Outlook 2007 on W7
> Pro.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> TP
0
Reply Utf 3/15/2010 11:57:01 AM

It's either an intentional leak by one of the recipients or they have a rule
sending everything to the other person. Or that person has access to the
recipients mailbox.  Reply to All did not do it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Tim P" <TimP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've just had a minor email disaster where someone, who shouldn't have
> received a copy of an email I sent, got one. The incoming email to which I
> was replying was sent to me and one other recipient. Clearly I could not
> see
> whether it had been bcc-ed to anyone apart from the two recipients I could
> see. I replied to all and could see that it went only to the intended
> recipients, but it became clear a few days later that someone else had
> received a copy. Given who they are, it seems possible that the original
> email may have been bcc-ed to them. Could my 'reply to all' have triggered
> bcc back to them of my reply?
>
> Both 'official' recipients vehemently deny that they leaked and having
> seen
> what the unintended recipient received, it doesn't look like it was
> forwarded. The evidence seems to suggest that I inadvertently triggered a
> bcc
> without being able to see I had done it.
>
> Is this possible or do I have a leaky colleague? I am on Outlook 2007 on
> W7
> Pro.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> TP