Can you pull back an email that was sent if it is unopened?

If  have sent an email, can I pull it back from the recipient if they have
not opened it yet?  How do I do that?

Open the email. Click on Actions > Recall This Message.
Note that this doesn't always work. If they have opened it or deny the
recall request, if they're on a different mail server, there are many
instances where this may not work.

"Melissa" <Melissa @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If  have sent an email, can I pull it back from the recipient if they have
> not opened it yet?  How do I do that?

-1
Orland
2/17/2010 6:05:11 PM
Melissa wrote:

> If  have sent an email, can I pull it back from the recipient if they have
> not opened it yet?  How do I do that?

Recall rarely works across different e-mail servers.  It only sometimes
works when both sender and recipient are using the same Exchange server (or
Exchange servers within the same organization); however, if you are sending
e-mails via SMTP, the chance of Recall working is dismal.  That means rather
than issuing a recall *function* to the Exchange server to yank out the
original e-mail from the recipient's mailbox, you are sending a *new* e-mail
that requests the recipient's mail client to remove an item AFTER the mail
client has downloaded the original message from their mailbox.  That means
the e-mail client must understand the encoded Message-ID header in your 2nd
new e-mail that makes the recall request.  It also requires that the
recipient open the recall e-mail BEFORE they open your original e-mail - and
that means the recipient would need to have e-mails listed in descending
sort order rather than ascending sort order.  If the recipient opens your
original e-mail (which they WILL already have downloaded) before opening
your recall e-mail then they can obviously read the original message because
they have not first opened your recall e-mail which then attempts (in
Outlook only) to delete the original e-mail.

Even if the recipient reads their e-mails in descending sort order, it is
unlikely that their e-mail client knows how to handle a recall.  The
Microsoft-specific non-standard modification of the Message-ID header (by
adding the "!-!" prefix and encoding information within the userID portion
before the "@" character) is used to indicate a recall but it is only
recognized by Outlook (and the recipients have to read e-mails in descending
order so they open your recall e-mail first) so don't expect the recall to
work.  A recipient using anything other than Outlook 2000+, like Outlook
Express, will see both the original message and recall messages and first
opening the recall e-mail will NOT delete the original e-mail.  Non-Outlook
e-mail clients don't know how to handle the recall request that is encoded
within the Message-ID header.

If using Exchange to send your e-mails which were sent to a recipient also
using the same Exchange organization then recall might work because the mail
server is handling the request to delete messages from the recipient's
mailbox.  Recall won't work unless both sender and recipient use Outlook
2000+ and the recipient happens to open the recall e-mail first.

At this point, and if you are the sender, you should send another new e-mail
to correct your mistake in your original e-mail or to apologize for the
content of your first e-mail.  Getting a recall e-mail will only draw more
attention by the recipient to your original e-mail.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197094/en-us

If you read the help already included in Outlook to search on "recall", it
would have plainly stated "This feature requires Microsoft Exchange".  For
SMTP, there is a miniscule possibility that if the recipient also uses
Outlook then the recall via the encoded Message-ID directive will work since
Outlook handles that non-Exchange method.  It rarely works.
0
VanguardLH

OWA email subject dropdown menu?
Can someone please help me with customizing OWA: I need a drop-down menu in (or before) the Subject box. The users need to choose from 10 basic subjects, after which they can specify it on the subject box. Thanks prem "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:3b92875.0502160207.48a26920@posting.google.com... > Can someone please help me with customizing OWA: > I need a drop-down menu in (or before) the Subject box. > The users need to choose from 10 basic subjects, after which they can > specify it on the subject box. > > Thanks > prem Which ve...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

outlook express
Anyone know if there is anyway to recover emails, folders, contacts, etc... if you re-installed a new copy of xp over 2000 but didn't use the upgrade feature. That is to say, all of my 2000 OE doesn't appear when I open OE in the newly installed XP environment. Does the old info get stored in some file I can link to xp oe? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.wi...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Forward outgoing mail to email address
I have a emailbox "myinternalmail@domain.com", any time a person sends mail through this mail box, I need it forward to "myexternalmail@externaldomain.com" How can I do this? thanks All explained here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF015.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "stoppal" <stoppal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1134773472.049384.265090@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a emailbox "myinternalmail@domain.com", any time a person sends > mai...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Creating Email Templates
Hello, In looking at the various resources, everyone seems to like the email template functionality .. although I do question one thing. Is it possible to create an email template for use in a workflow THAT IS NOT sent to the customer/account? From what I can tell, if you create an Opportunity/Account/Contact email template, all these automatically send the end account/customer the email. What I would like is when a new Opportunity is created to be sent to some Internal users only ... ie. the user's Manager to confirm the presence of a new Opportunity. This from the looks of th...

Can not archive

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...