Two copies of same ON 2007 notebook open

Onenote 2007 SP2
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Login is an admin account

Sometimes when changing sections within a notebook, Onenote is bringing up a
dialog asking whether I want to open the whole notebook, or just a section.
The notebook I would be opening is the same one I'm already in. Choosing to
open the whole notebook, I get another copy of the same notebook listed in my
Notebooks bar on the left of the screen, which then starts synchronizing..
apparently with itself.

Checking the properties, the location of my original notebook is what I
expect it to be, in C:\Users\AccountName\Documents... etc. The location of
the 2nd notebook is similar, but is prepended with my account name and the
computer name. It's like OneNote is accessing the notebook again through some
kind of network location.

It's not a shared notebook, and I had no problems before my fresh Windows 7
install. The computer was previously using Vista 32-bit.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Onenote 2007 SP2
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
> Login is an admin account
>
> Sometimes when changing sections within a notebook, Onenote is bringing up a
> dialog asking whether I want to open the whole notebook, or just a section.
> The notebook I would be opening is the same one I'm already in. Choosing to
> open the whole notebook, I get another copy of the same notebook listed in my
> Notebooks bar on the left of the screen, which then starts synchronizing..
> apparently with itself.
>
> Checking the properties, the location of my original notebook is what I
> expect it to be, in C:\Users\AccountName\Documents... etc. The location of
> the 2nd notebook is similar, but is prepended with my account name and the
> computer name. It's like OneNote is accessing the notebook again through some
> kind of network location.
>
> It's not a shared notebook, and I had no problems before my fresh Windows 7
> install. The computer was previously using Vista 32-bit.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

For me it sounds like a migration problem.
( By the way: did you migrate from XP -> Vista -> W7 ?)

I suggest the following procedure:

1. Make sure your duplicated notebooks have the identical content
2. If yes close all notebooks to clear the ON cache and the registry entries
3. Look into your Tools -> Options -> Save locations.
There is a default place for notebooks
4. Make sure this pointer points to your original notebooks
5. If yes re-open your notebooks from that place
6. Test the configuration
7. If Ok delete your duplicate notebooks

Bernd
0
Bernd
1/6/2010 6:32:45 PM
Thanks for your response.

Just for clarification and correction of what I said earlier...
I have a notebook open, and a section group (not the whole notebook as I
said earlier) within that notebook is what is sometimes being opened twice.

By two copies, I mean the same notebook is being opened twice. The files are
at the same location, though they are referred to differently. The paths
(just the directory names) are the same, but one source is the c: and the
other is the computer name. Perhaps the better term to use would be two
instances instead of two copies.

The original notebook has no sync status icon in the navigation bar. The
section group listed again, by itself, in the navigation bar shows the sync
status, which ends up being fine if it has to perform any syncing.

Optimizing the notebook didn't solve the problem. I have not defragmented
the notebook files in a few days, but I do that regularly enough. I closed
all my notebooks, re-opened them, and checked the save location. As this
issue doesn't happen every time, I'll have to wait and see.

As best I can recall, my OneNote/Windows history has been:
XP 32/ON 2003
XP 32/ON 2007
Vista 32/ON 2007
Win 7 64/ON 2007

I let ON 2007 upgrade my ON 2003 notebooks, and all OS installs have been
fresh installs via purchase of a new computer or upgrade. I perform backups
manually so I can copy notebooks back to my computer from a DVD when I wipe
my hard drive.

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
> > Onenote 2007 SP2
> > Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
> > Login is an admin account
> >
> > Sometimes when changing sections within a notebook, Onenote is bringing up a
> > dialog asking whether I want to open the whole notebook, or just a section.
> > The notebook I would be opening is the same one I'm already in. Choosing to
> > open the whole notebook, I get another copy of the same notebook listed in my
> > Notebooks bar on the left of the screen, which then starts synchronizing..
> > apparently with itself.
> >
> > Checking the properties, the location of my original notebook is what I
> > expect it to be, in C:\Users\AccountName\Documents... etc. The location of
> > the 2nd notebook is similar, but is prepended with my account name and the
> > computer name. It's like OneNote is accessing the notebook again through some
> > kind of network location.
> >
> > It's not a shared notebook, and I had no problems before my fresh Windows 7
> > install. The computer was previously using Vista 32-bit.
> >
> > Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?
> >

> For me it sounds like a migration problem.
> ( By the way: did you migrate from XP -> Vista -> W7 ?)
>
> I suggest the following procedure:
>
> 1. Make sure your duplicated notebooks have the identical content
> 2. If yes close all notebooks to clear the ON cache and the registry entries
> 3. Look into your Tools -> Options -> Save locations.
> There is a default place for notebooks
> 4. Make sure this pointer points to your original notebooks
> 5. If yes re-open your notebooks from that place
> 6. Test the configuration
> 7. If Ok delete your duplicate notebooks
>
> Bernd
> .

I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
fix it....

It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.

This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
main notebook.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
> fix it....
>
> It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
> network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
> click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
> hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
> Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
> consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
> notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
> address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.
>
> This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
> main notebook.

Interesting ...

Do we talk about UNC-Paths now ?

You could try to open a notebook with the same syntax as your hyperlinks.

I'm on XP so I cannot test it.

Or you contact John Guin directly using the Email "Button" at the upper
right corner of his Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/

Bernd
0
Bernd
1/7/2010 10:01:46 PM
I will contact John Guin and let him know about this issue.

Actually, the hyperlink information seems to be stored differently..

Previously, my links included this information as part of the hyperlink. It
was the only path information in the links. I have obviously edited this to
generic path names.
&base-path=C:\Users\LoginID\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Notebook
Name\SectionGroup Name\Section Name.one

Now, they start out like this. It's the only path information in the links.
onenote://ComputerName/Users/LoginID/Documents/OneNote Notebooks/Notebook
Name/SectionGroup Name/Section Name.one#PageTitle

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
> > I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
> > fix it....
> >
> > It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
> > network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
> > click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
> > hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
> > Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
> > consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
> > notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
> > address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.
> >
> > This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
> > main notebook.
> >

> Interesting ...
>
> Do we talk about UNC-Paths now ?
>
> You could try to open a notebook with the same syntax as your hyperlinks.
>
> I'm on XP so I cannot test it.
>
> Or you contact John Guin directly using the Email "Button" at the upper
> right corner of his Blog:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/
>
> Bernd
> .

Here are the results, which I am posting for anyone who stumbles upon this
issue. This comes from John Guin...

(begin)
It turns out this is a known bug with 2007.  It boils down to a notebook
that is open through one channel (local, UNC or shortcut), and then navigated
to in a way that uses a different channel.  OneNote don't think the name
matches anything open, so we pop up the "do you want to open the whole
notebook" message.  As you said, the problem goes away once the share is
closed, and there's only one way to access the notebook.

On the plus side, this is fixed in OneNote 2010.  It took a while to get the
fix in place and tested, but if you upgrade, the behavior will go away.
(end)

So it seems to me this won't be addressed in ON 2007, but has been in ON
2010. Thanks for your help, and for referring me to John.

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
> > I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
> > fix it....
> >
> > It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
> > network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
> > click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
> > hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
> > Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
> > consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
> > notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
> > address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.
> >
> > This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
> > main notebook.
> >

> Interesting ...
>
> Do we talk about UNC-Paths now ?
>
> You could try to open a notebook with the same syntax as your hyperlinks.
>
> I'm on XP so I cannot test it.
>
> Or you contact John Guin directly using the Email "Button" at the upper
> right corner of his Blog:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/
>
> Bernd
> .

A document with the name "abs.xls" is already open.
I need assistance. Everyone workbook I open in Excel 2000 keeps giving me the message "A document with the '___.xls' is already open. You cannot have two workbooks with the same name open even if they are in different files. etc" The name of the document in the message is always the workbook I have just opened. I've tried shutting down and rebooting, and that did not work. This started to happen after I copied a workbook off my company network to my C: drive. Can anyone help? I can't seem to get rid of this message. Maybe this from from Debra Dalgleis...

Loosing some colors when copy/pasting from/to Visio
I have seen the following problem numerous times: Problem: I create a Visio diagram and when I copy/paste the diagram into another MS Office product, like Word, Powerpoint, or Excel, I loose some of the colors.n In fact, I just ran into this when copying a visio drawing from one Visio file to another Visio file. Note that copying from one page to another page within the same Visio file did not loose the colors. Some quesitons I have are: (Q) Why does this happen and what I can do (if anything) to prevent it from happening. (Q) How does visio, powerpoint, or word stores th...

Microsoft is a bunch of crooks and imbeciles, burned my copy of xp
Microsoft is a bunch of crooks and imbeciles, burned my copy of xp. After spending a whole Saturday afternoon re-installing Xp, because it no longer worked, losing all previously installed programs and drivers in the process, because it would hang in install in some unknown place, had to start on a clean disk, and finally got it working with internet access, when I started it again today, a week or so later, it decided that my Logitech mouse was a 'MS mouse', and the cursor jumped all over the screen. Had enough. I would like to hit Bill Gates and Balmer in the face for makin...

Extra copy of MS Money Plus Deluxe available 04-01-10
Knowing that Microsoft was going to stop selling Money I bought 2 copies for my 2 computers. I had forgotten that you can install one copy on 2 different computers so I find myself with an unused copy. I paid $39.99 and am going to post it on eBay but figured I'd list it here first as a number of people have said their copy was expiring. If you're interested please contact me (garbanzo99 at gmail). I have the unused product key good for installation on up to 2 computers. If your copy is or will expire I can supply you with the key. If you need the program file I hav...

synchiing two computers?

Outlook 2002-can't open pst
Cannot open outlook 2002 archived =.pst files.They exist,but Outlook won't display any information when opened from "file/open/personal folders". There is only a blank screen. Help? Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Cannot open outlook 2002 archived =.pst files.They >exist,but Outlook won't display any information when >opened from "file/open/personal folders". There is only a >blank screen. Help? >Thanks >. > Try running the Inbox Repair Tool against each of your .PST files to see if it finds any errors. Search your drive for a ...

Project 2007 04-11-10
I am trying to print a budget report, for some reason it continues to sort by ID even though I have specified to sort by wbs, the wbs column is not even showing up. How do I get rid of the ID column in the report print preview and sort the tasks by wbs? Not sure how you're asking it to sort, but here's what works for me: 1) Select the report, then Edit. Go to the sort tab, then choose WBS in the Sort By options. If that doesn't work for you, let me know. 2) You'll note in the Definition Tab of the Report that it is being pulled from the Cost table. Simple a...

Exchange 2007 SCL rating
Hello I have setup a quarantine mailbox, and configured all the content filters. Eveything seems to be working, but when i look at the SCL rating on a quarantined email in the quarantined inbox the SCL rating is -1. This cant be correct, because emails with an SCL rating that =7 get quarantined, so it appears that i cam not seing the real SCL rating on the email. how can i expose this ? i know i can look at the headers of the eamil but uit says -1 not 7 as it should SCL rating of -1 is assigned to authenticated senders, as also senders on Safe Sender lists, from IP addresses on IP ...

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

How do I keep chart/data link when copying worksheet
I have a worksheet for each month within a file - each worksheet has data tables, and some charts generated from that data. With Excel 2003, when I copied a worksheet within the same file (for example, to create the July sheet, by copying the June sheet) the charts in the new (copied) July sheet correctly linked to the July data. When I do the same in Excel 2007, the charts in the July sheet link back to the June data instead. I have looked through the options and cannot see how to do this. Is the data on the same sheet as the chart? In 2003, if the chart was on a different worksheet, ...

outlook 2007
I have just upgraded to windows 7 so therefore I have lost windows mail. I do not want to use windows live mail if I were to buy outlook 2007 would this work ok as I have only Microsoft home & student installed on my PC "borderknight" <borderknight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:967AE88B-F920-457C-9BCA-32F7EA269ABA@microsoft.com... > I have just upgraded to windows 7 so therefore I have lost windows mail. I > do > not want to use windows live mail if I were to buy outlook 2007 would this > work ok as I have only Microsoft home &a...

Can't find "Password to open" box in Excel 2000
I need to put a password on a workbook to stop unauthorized access but can't find "Password to open" box in to tools->options->general dialog box That's because it's not in Tools/Options/General in the Excel menu. You need to select File/Save As, then click Tools, General Options in the save as dialog. >-----Original Message----- >I need to put a password on a workbook to stop >unauthorized access but can't find "Password to open" box >in to tools->options->general dialog box >. > ...

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

Copy Word Text into Excell
Good Morning, I have an Excell workbook that other individuals access and they need to put a response at the bottom. However, when they attempt to copy their response from a word document, it either won't accept it as the cells aren't the same, or it continuously goes across the page. I tried merging cells, but that didn't work. How can I accomplish this? Thanks, Deb One thing that may simplify the data entered is to use the Edit->Paste Special menu, and select "Text". That won't warranty that the data will be in the right cells, but at least the format...

Outlook 2003 will not open Mailbox
We have a problem with SBS 2000. Clients with Outlook 2002 or older can open their mailboxes. Clients with Outlook 2003 get the error "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Eithe there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server comptuer is down for maintenance." Everything was working on the server until it got a virus. Here is what has been done. The virus was cleaned. SBS 2000 was repaired. Exchange part of SBS 2000 has been reloaded. All clients can use Web Mail to access their mailboxes with no probl...

Draging to copy cells
I have some cells that are like this; 02/08/2004 07:01 Is there a way that I can drag the cell to continue changing the time stamp without changing the date? Thanks for any suggestions. Krefty Right-click on the fill handle (bottom left-hand corner of cell), and while holding the mouse button, drag down. Select "Copy Cells" in the pop-up window. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have some cells that are like this; > > 02/08/2004 07:01 > >Is there a way that I can drag the cell to continue >changing the time stamp without changing ...

Cannot create folders then advised they exist (but I can't see them) in Outlook 2007
I am having huge problems creating new folders in Outlook 2007.. I try to add the folder as normal, then receive the message "Cannot create the folder. The operation failed. An object cannot be found", so I try again and it says "Cannot create the folder. The server says "Mailbox Exists". However the folder I have tried to add does not display in the Outlook folders list. So have gone to IMAP folders and completed a search on subscribed folders to see the folder I had tried to add is featured, but does not have an envelope next to it (I assume indicating i...

where did the tools menu go for excell 2007?
I cannot find the tools menu for excell 2007. There is no Tools menu in Excel 2007. All of those commands have been redistributed elsewhere! See if this helps: http://www.rondebruin.nl/0307commands.htm -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBB7CE96-053F-4BFC-BE4A-2257B8F46B7E@microsoft.com... >I cannot find the tools menu for excell 2007. Hi Terry, Many of the commands are under File (Office Button), Excel Options ... Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

Cannot copy selected cells
Hi, HELP! If I open a new workbook , copy or add text into multiple cells and then do a Shift to highlight the block of cells the flashing lines around the cells dissapear and I don't have enough time to do a Ctrl C to copy them! It doesn't matter if it is new text, copied text from email or another workbook. If I send that workbook to a colleague he can do it no bother? Any ideas??? Stevie - The flashing lines show up after you do the Ctrl C to copy. What do you mean you don't have time to Ctrl C? -- Daryl S "Stevie" wrote: > Hi, >...

Opening attachements from emails in outlook express
Outlook express is blocking access to all attachements on my emails even those that I know are 100% bona fide. I get the message "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments" next to the paperclip icon. I only set this up to receive my emails recently so may have made a mistake in the set up. Any ideas??? Thanks David Deal "David Deal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022301c3b2bc$4c78b240$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook express is blocking access to all attachements on > my emails even those that I know are 100% bo...

two variables
I have a query that asks for collcode, collcode2 and booth. On any given day an employee may be collcode or collcode2. I would like to know how many times a certain emp has been paired with another employee. So how do I ask if an employee has been collcode/collcode2 and who the other person was? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks for any help Query one: SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Booth FROM YourTable UNION ALL SELECT CollCode2, CollCode, Booth FROM YourTable Query Two SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Count(CollCode) AS TIMESPAIRED FROM QueryOne GROUP BY CollCode, CollCode2 IF y...