Two copies of same ON 2007 notebook open

  • Follow

Onenote 2007 SP2
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Login is an admin account

Sometimes when changing sections within a notebook, Onenote is bringing up a
dialog asking whether I want to open the whole notebook, or just a section.
The notebook I would be opening is the same one I'm already in. Choosing to
open the whole notebook, I get another copy of the same notebook listed in my
Notebooks bar on the left of the screen, which then starts synchronizing..
apparently with itself.

Checking the properties, the location of my original notebook is what I
expect it to be, in C:\Users\AccountName\Documents... etc. The location of
the 2nd notebook is similar, but is prepended with my account name and the
computer name. It's like OneNote is accessing the notebook again through some
kind of network location.

It's not a shared notebook, and I had no problems before my fresh Windows 7
install. The computer was previously using Vista 32-bit.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

0
Reply Utf 1/6/2010 3:12:01 AM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Onenote 2007 SP2
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
> Login is an admin account
>
> Sometimes when changing sections within a notebook, Onenote is bringing up a
> dialog asking whether I want to open the whole notebook, or just a section.
> The notebook I would be opening is the same one I'm already in. Choosing to
> open the whole notebook, I get another copy of the same notebook listed in my
> Notebooks bar on the left of the screen, which then starts synchronizing..
> apparently with itself.
>
> Checking the properties, the location of my original notebook is what I
> expect it to be, in C:\Users\AccountName\Documents... etc. The location of
> the 2nd notebook is similar, but is prepended with my account name and the
> computer name. It's like OneNote is accessing the notebook again through some
> kind of network location.
>
> It's not a shared notebook, and I had no problems before my fresh Windows 7
> install. The computer was previously using Vista 32-bit.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

For me it sounds like a migration problem.
( By the way: did you migrate from XP -> Vista -> W7 ?)

I suggest the following procedure:

1. Make sure your duplicated notebooks have the identical content
2. If yes close all notebooks to clear the ON cache and the registry entries
3. Look into your Tools -> Options -> Save locations.
There is a default place for notebooks
4. Make sure this pointer points to your original notebooks
5. If yes re-open your notebooks from that place
6. Test the configuration
7. If Ok delete your duplicate notebooks

Bernd
0
Reply Bernd 1/6/2010 6:32:45 PM

Thanks for your response.

Just for clarification and correction of what I said earlier...
I have a notebook open, and a section group (not the whole notebook as I
said earlier) within that notebook is what is sometimes being opened twice.

By two copies, I mean the same notebook is being opened twice. The files are
at the same location, though they are referred to differently. The paths
(just the directory names) are the same, but one source is the c: and the
other is the computer name. Perhaps the better term to use would be two
instances instead of two copies.

The original notebook has no sync status icon in the navigation bar. The
section group listed again, by itself, in the navigation bar shows the sync
status, which ends up being fine if it has to perform any syncing.

Optimizing the notebook didn't solve the problem. I have not defragmented
the notebook files in a few days, but I do that regularly enough. I closed
all my notebooks, re-opened them, and checked the save location. As this
issue doesn't happen every time, I'll have to wait and see.

As best I can recall, my OneNote/Windows history has been:
XP 32/ON 2003
XP 32/ON 2007
Vista 32/ON 2007
Win 7 64/ON 2007

I let ON 2007 upgrade my ON 2003 notebooks, and all OS installs have been
fresh installs via purchase of a new computer or upgrade. I perform backups
manually so I can copy notebooks back to my computer from a DVD when I wipe
my hard drive.

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
> > Onenote 2007 SP2
> > Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
> > Login is an admin account
> >
> > Sometimes when changing sections within a notebook, Onenote is bringing up a
> > dialog asking whether I want to open the whole notebook, or just a section.
> > The notebook I would be opening is the same one I'm already in. Choosing to
> > open the whole notebook, I get another copy of the same notebook listed in my
> > Notebooks bar on the left of the screen, which then starts synchronizing..
> > apparently with itself.
> >
> > Checking the properties, the location of my original notebook is what I
> > expect it to be, in C:\Users\AccountName\Documents... etc. The location of
> > the 2nd notebook is similar, but is prepended with my account name and the
> > computer name. It's like OneNote is accessing the notebook again through some
> > kind of network location.
> >
> > It's not a shared notebook, and I had no problems before my fresh Windows 7
> > install. The computer was previously using Vista 32-bit.
> >
> > Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?
> >

> For me it sounds like a migration problem.
> ( By the way: did you migrate from XP -> Vista -> W7 ?)
>
> I suggest the following procedure:
>
> 1. Make sure your duplicated notebooks have the identical content
> 2. If yes close all notebooks to clear the ON cache and the registry entries
> 3. Look into your Tools -> Options -> Save locations.
> There is a default place for notebooks
> 4. Make sure this pointer points to your original notebooks
> 5. If yes re-open your notebooks from that place
> 6. Test the configuration
> 7. If Ok delete your duplicate notebooks
>
> Bernd
> .

0
Reply Utf 1/6/2010 10:13:10 PM

I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
fix it....

It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.

This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
main notebook.

0
Reply Utf 1/7/2010 6:20:01 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
> fix it....
>
> It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
> network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
> click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
> hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
> Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
> consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
> notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
> address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.
>
> This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
> main notebook.

Interesting ...

Do we talk about UNC-Paths now ?

You could try to open a notebook with the same syntax as your hyperlinks.

I'm on XP so I cannot test it.

Or you contact John Guin directly using the Email "Button" at the upper
right corner of his Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/

Bernd
0
Reply Bernd 1/7/2010 10:01:46 PM

I will contact John Guin and let him know about this issue.

Actually, the hyperlink information seems to be stored differently..

Previously, my links included this information as part of the hyperlink. It
was the only path information in the links. I have obviously edited this to
generic path names.
&base-path=C:\Users\LoginID\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Notebook
Name\SectionGroup Name\Section Name.one

Now, they start out like this. It's the only path information in the links.
onenote://ComputerName/Users/LoginID/Documents/OneNote Notebooks/Notebook
Name/SectionGroup Name/Section Name.one#PageTitle

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
> > I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
> > fix it....
> >
> > It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
> > network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
> > click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
> > hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
> > Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
> > consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
> > notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
> > address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.
> >
> > This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
> > main notebook.
> >

> Interesting ...
>
> Do we talk about UNC-Paths now ?
>
> You could try to open a notebook with the same syntax as your hyperlinks.
>
> I'm on XP so I cannot test it.
>
> Or you contact John Guin directly using the Email "Button" at the upper
> right corner of his Blog:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/
>
> Bernd
> .

0
Reply Utf 1/8/2010 12:26:09 AM

Here are the results, which I am posting for anyone who stumbles upon this
issue. This comes from John Guin...

(begin)
It turns out this is a known bug with 2007.  It boils down to a notebook
that is open through one channel (local, UNC or shortcut), and then navigated
to in a way that uses a different channel.  OneNote don't think the name
matches anything open, so we pop up the "do you want to open the whole
notebook" message.  As you said, the problem goes away once the share is
closed, and there's only one way to access the notebook.

On the plus side, this is fixed in OneNote 2010.  It took a while to get the
fix in place and tested, but if you upgrade, the behavior will go away.
(end)

So it seems to me this won't be addressed in ON 2007, but has been in ON
2010. Thanks for your help, and for referring me to John.

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
> > I think I've figured out what's going on, now I need to figure out if I can
> > fix it....
> >
> > It appears that all new hyperlinks in Windows 7 are being created as a
> > network location. Whether I highlight text and create a linked page, or right
> > click on a page tab and copy a hyperlink to the page to paste into the create
> > hyperlink dialog, the results are the same. This behavior is a change from
> > Vista, when the hyperlinks were created with the C: location, which is
> > consistent with the save location as noted in Options. I created a new
> > notebook just to test, and even new a notebook creates links with the network
> > address (computer name) instead of the C: before the path.
> >
> > This renders me effectively unable to continue work in OneNote 2007 in my
> > main notebook.
> >

> Interesting ...
>
> Do we talk about UNC-Paths now ?
>
> You could try to open a notebook with the same syntax as your hyperlinks.
>
> I'm on XP so I cannot test it.
>
> Or you contact John Guin directly using the Email "Button" at the upper
> right corner of his Blog:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/
>
> Bernd
> .