turning off One Note or Side Note

  • Follow

Every time I start up my computer part of one note starts up and there
is an icon in my system tray.  I believe that is side note, but I don't
use it much, so I don't know much else about it.

My issue is that I don't use it and don't want it to show up every time
I start my computer, but I can not figure out how to turn the dammed
thing off.  I can shut it down everytime I start up, but I should be
able to tell the system that I don't want it in my system tray on start.
It is not started through the startup folder.  It does appear to be un
the run folder of the registry.
How do I get rid of this thing?

0
Reply Henry 2/2/2010 6:14:56 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Every time I start up my computer part of one note starts up and there
> is an icon in my system tray.  I believe that is side note, but I don't
> use it much, so I don't know much else about it.
>
> My issue is that I don't use it and don't want it to show up every time
> I start my computer, but I can not figure out how to turn the dammed
> thing off.  I can shut it down everytime I start up, but I should be
> able to tell the system that I don't want it in my system tray on start.
> It is not started through the startup folder.  It does appear to be un
> the run folder of the registry.
> How do I get rid of this thing?

Tools, Options, Others
Uncheck 1st option "Show symbol ...."

By the way:
It's very useful for getting screenshots into ON ...
Right click it and study the options ...

Bernd
0
Reply Bernd 2/2/2010 7:17:55 PM

Henry Stock wrote:
> Every time I start up my computer part of one note starts up and there
> is an icon in my system tray.  I believe that is side note, but I
> don't use it much, so I don't know much else about it.

Sorry, wrong "believe".
No, it's not only for "sidenotes".
It's multifunctional. It's used for starting ON and a most important
feature is starting screen-clippings.
Just right-click on the icon and check all of the possible options.

> My issue is that I don't use it

Most probably just because you don't know what it does ;-)

> and don't want it to show up every time I start my computer,

Why not? Does it hurt in any way??

> but I can not figure out how to turn the
> dammed thing off.  I can shut it down everytime I start up, but I
> should be able to tell the system that I don't want it in my system
> tray on start. It is not started through the startup folder.  It does
> appear to be un the run folder of the registry.

No. It's run through the user's Startmenu, "Autostart"/Startup".
There is a link "OneNote 2010 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk" pointing
to NOTEM.exe.
It can be deleted there.
But it's much easier to deactivate the feature inside OneNote:
"Extras | Options | Other"

Apart from that:
I can not at all recommend to follow this way.
One just looses too much.
Let the icon activated in the InfoTray/Systray and use it!

Rainald

0
Reply Rainald 2/2/2010 9:24:52 PM

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:14:56 -0500, "Henry Stock"
<henry@the-stocks.org> wrote:

>Every time I start up my computer part of one note starts up and there
>is an icon in my system tray.  I believe that is side note, but I don't
>use it much, so I don't know much else about it.
>
>My issue is that I don't use it and don't want it to show up every time
>I start my computer, but I can not figure out how to turn the dammed
>thing off.  I can shut it down everytime I start up, but I should be
>able to tell the system that I don't want it in my system tray on start.
>It is not started through the startup folder.  It does appear to be un
>the run folder of the registry.
>How do I get rid of this thing?

It's pretty useful and it doesn't really take up a lot of resources.
All it really does is trap a couple of Windows-keys (like Windows-N to
create a new Side Note, Windows-Shift-N to open OneNote, and Windows-S
to create a screen clipping).

If you are just annoyed at having the thing visible, you can modify
your notification tray settings to "always hide" that item.

//Steve//
1
Reply Steve 2/15/2010 12:36:04 PM

(page loaded in 3.843 seconds)