Convert retail license to volume license

  • Follow

Hi Guys,

Just installed a new terminal server for one of our clients and went to put
Office 2007 Professional (retail) on it but it says that this version does
not work with terminal services :(  Upon looking into this, it seems that we
need the volume license version for it to work - so my question is: is there
any way we can convert our existing retail licenses (we have about 10) to a
volume license edition that will work on the TS server (and will it cost
anything?) ?
I also read somewhere that it has to be the Enterprise edition of Office
2007 as well but is that true? Seems like a huge rip off to me... the retail
version is expensive enough!

Thanks
Chris
0
Reply Utf 12/11/2009 11:40:01 AM

"ChrisW (MCP)" <ChrisWMCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just installed a new terminal server for one of our clients and went to
> put
> Office 2007 Professional (retail) on it but it says that this version does
> not work with terminal services :(  Upon looking into this, it seems that
> we
> need the volume license version for it to work - so my question is: is
> there
> any way we can convert our existing retail licenses (we have about 10) to
> volume license edition that will work on the TS server (and will it cost
> anything?) ?
> I also read somewhere that it has to be the Enterprise edition of Office
> 2007 as well but is that true? Seems like a huge rip off to me... the
> retail
> version is expensive enough!
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Can't be converted and what was said is correct, Professional won't work on
Terminal Services.  Office Professional Plus and Enterprise are the only two
volume license versions.  Not trying to sound nasty but before any software
is purchased in any manner the purchaser should research all options and
plan for the future.  Apparently this was not done when the retail versions
were purchased in your organization.

0
Reply LVTravel 12/11/2009 2:29:19 PM

"ChrisW (MCP)" <ChrisWMCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just installed a new terminal server for one of our clients and went to
> put
> Office 2007 Professional (retail) on it but it says that this version does
> not work with terminal services :(  Upon looking into this, it seems that
> we
> need the volume license version for it to work - so my question is: is
> there
> any way we can convert our existing retail licenses (we have about 10) to
> volume license edition that will work on the TS server (and will it cost
> anything?) ?
> I also read somewhere that it has to be the Enterprise edition of Office
> 2007 as well but is that true? Seems like a huge rip off to me... the
> retail
> version is expensive enough!
>
> Thanks
> Chris

The way to look at the "rip off" is to compare the cost of the retail
version for each machine it is installed on versus the cost of the site
license for the volume installation.

Buy Enterprise or Ultimate for your site population, and add a couple of
sites for growth opportunities, and send Professional home so the boss' wife
can have it on her machine. Or, sell it on eBay and recover some of the
cost.

0
Reply Jeff 12/11/2009 5:38:52 PM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "ChrisW (MCP)" <ChrisWMCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Just installed a new terminal server for one of our clients and went to
>> put
>> Office 2007 Professional (retail) on it but it says that this version
>> does
>> not work with terminal services :(  Upon looking into this, it seems that
>> we
>> need the volume license version for it to work - so my question is: is
>> there
>> any way we can convert our existing retail licenses (we have about 10) to
>> volume license edition that will work on the TS server (and will it cost
>> anything?) ?
>> I also read somewhere that it has to be the Enterprise edition of Office
>> 2007 as well but is that true? Seems like a huge rip off to me... the
>> retail
>> version is expensive enough!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Chris
>

> The way to look at the "rip off" is to compare the cost of the retail
> version for each machine it is installed on versus the cost of the site
> license for the volume installation.

(That's supposed to say a retail version for each machine that the Office
Suite is installed on, not that the same retail version can be installed on
all of the machines.)

0
Reply Jeff 12/11/2009 5:46:13 PM

Chris

I could not say it better to you as did LVTravel. A bit late now for all the ones
that you have purchased.

--
Peter

"ChrisW (MCP)" <ChrisWMCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just installed a new terminal server for one of our clients and went to put
> Office 2007 Professional (retail) on it but it says that this version does
> not work with terminal services :(  Upon looking into this, it seems that we
> need the volume license version for it to work - so my question is: is there
> any way we can convert our existing retail licenses (we have about 10) to a
> volume license edition that will work on the TS server (and will it cost
> anything?) ?
> I also read somewhere that it has to be the Enterprise edition of Office
> 2007 as well but is that true? Seems like a huge rip off to me... the retail
> version is expensive enough!
>
> Thanks
> Chris

0