Ribbons should be transposed on the side in wide screens.

  • Follow

Although it is stated that a ribbon does not take more screen room than the
old standard (2- or 3 actually) toolbars in previous Office versions,
nowadays with widescreen any ribbon-bar or toolbar takes room where the users
mostly need it: vertically.

There are three reasons for having the possibility of moving the ribbon
aside (left or right):
1. when editing Word documents, spreadsheets that run on many rows/few
columns, email messages, tables with many rows, and the like, the user wants
as more vertical space available as possible
2. the spreading of widescreens in desktop PC and mostly notebooks (or
netbooks with limited resolutions) changes the percentage of horizontale vs
vertical room availability for the user interface - it is useless to have a
document full-width, if I see only one-third of its vertical height at a time
on the screen, to have the full view the zoom would be poor and not readable,
having the ribbon on the side would improve this case
3. one difficulty most users encounter(ed) when changing from old-style
menus to the ribbon interface is that they were used to select a menu, and
then find the menu item they are looking for vertically (top to bottom among
the items of the selected menu): moving the ribbon on the side (with a fixed
width, of course) would benefit from both the innovative visual style of the
ribbon, and single items (or ribbon sections) set in a vertical setting, top
to bottom

I suggest having the possibility of both left side or right side for the
"vertical ribbons", so that left-hand and right-hand users (with different
preferences of brain side to have focus on (main content/document vs
toolbars/commands)) can choose what fits them better

PS I really believe this upate would be a great benefit. I would like to be
acknowledged for this suggestion, if accepted :-)

Luca Santillo
Italy

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=2cd30e94-4c42-49c9-915f-8324b4dddc65&dg=microsoft.public.office.misc
0
Reply Utf 12/2/2009 9:55:01 AM

"LSantillo" <LSantillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Although it is stated that a ribbon does not take more screen room than
> the
> old standard (2- or 3 actually) toolbars in previous Office versions,
> nowadays with widescreen any ribbon-bar or toolbar takes room where the
> users
> mostly need it: vertically.

Then minimize the ribbon. The tabs still show and just expand when they are
clicked on - QED!

0
Reply Gordon 12/2/2009 12:49:05 PM

"LSantillo" <LSantillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Although it is stated that a ribbon does not take more screen room than
> the
> old standard (2- or 3 actually) toolbars in previous Office versions,
> nowadays with widescreen any ribbon-bar or toolbar takes room where the
> users
> mostly need it: vertically.
>
> There are three reasons for having the possibility of moving the ribbon
> aside (left or right):
> 1. when editing Word documents, spreadsheets that run on many rows/few
> columns, email messages, tables with many rows, and the like, the user
> wants
> as more vertical space available as possible
> 2. the spreading of widescreens in desktop PC and mostly notebooks (or
> netbooks with limited resolutions) changes the percentage of horizontale
> vs
> vertical room availability for the user interface - it is useless to have
> document full-width, if I see only one-third of its vertical height at a
> time
> on the screen, to have the full view the zoom would be poor and not
> readable,
> having the ribbon on the side would improve this case
> 3. one difficulty most users encounter(ed) when changing from old-style
> menus to the ribbon interface is that they were used to select a menu, and
> then find the menu item they are looking for vertically (top to bottom
> among
> the items of the selected menu): moving the ribbon on the side (with a
> fixed
> width, of course) would benefit from both the innovative visual style of
> the
> ribbon, and single items (or ribbon sections) set in a vertical setting,
> top
> to bottom
>
> I suggest having the possibility of both left side or right side for the
> "vertical ribbons", so that left-hand and right-hand users (with different
> preferences of brain side to have focus on (main content/document vs
> toolbars/commands)) can choose what fits them better
>
> PS I really believe this upate would be a great benefit. I would like to
> be
> acknowledged for this suggestion, if accepted :-)
>
> Luca Santillo
> Italy

This makes a lot of sense to me. Personally, I hate the ribbons but if I
have to have them, placing them on the side would be very beneficial.

0
Reply Bogey 12/3/2009 2:37:54 PM

"Bogey Man" <spam@kwic.com> wrote in message

> "LSantillo" <LSantillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Although it is stated that a ribbon does not take more screen room than
>> the
>> old standard (2- or 3 actually) toolbars in previous Office versions,
>> nowadays with widescreen any ribbon-bar or toolbar takes room where the
>> users
>> mostly need it: vertically.
>>
>> There are three reasons for having the possibility of moving the ribbon
>> aside (left or right):
>> 1. when editing Word documents, spreadsheets that run on many rows/few
>> columns, email messages, tables with many rows, and the like, the user
>> wants
>> as more vertical space available as possible
>> 2. the spreading of widescreens in desktop PC and mostly notebooks (or
>> netbooks with limited resolutions) changes the percentage of horizontale
>> vs
>> vertical room availability for the user interface - it is useless to have
>> document full-width, if I see only one-third of its vertical height at a
>> time
>> on the screen, to have the full view the zoom would be poor and not
>> readable,
>> having the ribbon on the side would improve this case
>> 3. one difficulty most users encounter(ed) when changing from old-style
>> menus to the ribbon interface is that they were used to select a menu,
>> and
>> then find the menu item they are looking for vertically (top to bottom
>> among
>> the items of the selected menu): moving the ribbon on the side (with a
>> fixed
>> width, of course) would benefit from both the innovative visual style of
>> the
>> ribbon, and single items (or ribbon sections) set in a vertical setting,
>> top
>> to bottom
>>
>> I suggest having the possibility of both left side or right side for the
>> "vertical ribbons", so that left-hand and right-hand users (with
>> different
>> preferences of brain side to have focus on (main content/document vs
>> toolbars/commands)) can choose what fits them better
>>
>> PS I really believe this upate would be a great benefit. I would like to
>> be
>> acknowledged for this suggestion, if accepted :-)
>>
>> Luca Santillo
>> Italy
>
> This makes a lot of sense to me. Personally, I hate the ribbons but if I
> have to have them, placing them on the side would be very beneficial.

You do know you can minimize the ribbon?

0
Reply Gordon 12/3/2009 3:46:29 PM

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bogey Man" <spam@kwic.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "LSantillo" <LSantillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Although it is stated that a ribbon does not take more screen room than
>>> the
>>> old standard (2- or 3 actually) toolbars in previous Office versions,
>>> nowadays with widescreen any ribbon-bar or toolbar takes room where the
>>> users
>>> mostly need it: vertically.
>>>
>>> There are three reasons for having the possibility of moving the ribbon
>>> aside (left or right):
>>> 1. when editing Word documents, spreadsheets that run on many rows/few
>>> columns, email messages, tables with many rows, and the like, the user
>>> wants
>>> as more vertical space available as possible
>>> 2. the spreading of widescreens in desktop PC and mostly notebooks (or
>>> netbooks with limited resolutions) changes the percentage of horizontale
>>> vs
>>> vertical room availability for the user interface - it is useless to
>>> have a
>>> document full-width, if I see only one-third of its vertical height at a
>>> time
>>> on the screen, to have the full view the zoom would be poor and not
>>> readable,
>>> having the ribbon on the side would improve this case
>>> 3. one difficulty most users encounter(ed) when changing from old-style
>>> menus to the ribbon interface is that they were used to select a menu,
>>> and
>>> then find the menu item they are looking for vertically (top to bottom
>>> among
>>> the items of the selected menu): moving the ribbon on the side (with a
>>> fixed
>>> width, of course) would benefit from both the innovative visual style of
>>> the
>>> ribbon, and single items (or ribbon sections) set in a vertical setting,
>>> top
>>> to bottom
>>>
>>> I suggest having the possibility of both left side or right side for the
>>> "vertical ribbons", so that left-hand and right-hand users (with
>>> different
>>> preferences of brain side to have focus on (main content/document vs
>>> toolbars/commands)) can choose what fits them better
>>>
>>> PS I really believe this upate would be a great benefit. I would like to
>>> be
>>> acknowledged for this suggestion, if accepted :-)
>>>
>>> Luca Santillo
>>> Italy
>>
>> This makes a lot of sense to me. Personally, I hate the ribbons but if I
>> have to have them, placing them on the side would be very beneficial.
>
> You do know you can minimize the ribbon?

Yes, I know that. Minimizing it doesn't mean that it is out of the way when
you actually want to make use of the commands on the ribbon.

With most monitors being the wide variety these days, it just doesn't make
sense to use valuable vertical space to display a large ribbon, even if you
can minimize it when not in use.

0
Reply Bogey 12/4/2009 2:21:46 PM

(page loaded in 0.235 seconds)