Email attachments opened, edited, saved, closed, and lost forever

I've had this happen several times:  I will open an email attachment, edit
it, save it, but not use the save as button, think I have saved it, but it is
only temporarily saved in a temporary file, close it and I'm told it is gone
and unretrievable.   It doesn't show up in the recently used documents
section of Word or Excel.  It's now the only place I ever lose large chunks
of data due to autosave--a welcome addition for a long-time veteran curser, I
mean user, of the home computer.

Suggestion:  Have a specific prompt or macro to go to "save as" when any
document is trying to save to a temp file.  Or prompt when closing and it's
in a temp file-- "you are going to lose any changes" like there are in other

It is extremely frustrating!!!!  I have tried to remember but obviously have
not succeeded!

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

I agree. But you usually CAN find the document, took me ages to work it out ....
You need to do a couple of things. (Vista Word)

One: Reopen the attachment from the email
Two: Go to file, prepare, Properties
Three: In the upper right hand corner, you will see a file destination. Copy that
Four: Paste the destination into a navigation bar (found by right clicking the Start button and selecting "Explore All". This is the thing at the very top.)
Five: Start erasing (from right to left) the text until multiple options with similar file names appear. (If your attachment is called "Paper" you are looking for things called "Paper (1)" or "Paper (2)"
Six: Select files until you find the one you were editing.

Hope that helps!
3/25/2010 4:47:44 AM
Thank you very much for the suggestion, I tried it and it WORKED, when the
experts were saying that it could not be done.

"Kirsty" wrote:

> I agree. But you usually CAN find the document, took me ages to work it out ....
> You need to do a couple of things. (Vista Word)
> One: Reopen the attachment from the email
> Two: Go to file, prepare, Properties
> Three: In the upper right hand corner, you will see a file destination. Copy that
> Four: Paste the destination into a navigation bar (found by right clicking the Start button and selecting "Explore All". This is the thing at the very top.)
> Five: Start erasing (from right to left) the text until multiple options with similar file names appear. (If your attachment is called "Paper" you are looking for things called "Paper (1)" or "Paper (2)"
> Six: Select files until you find the one you were editing.
> Hope that helps!
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> .

Deleting email messages in Outlook
I'm using M/S Outlook 2000 V. I've been having no trouble for the past 3 years or so but now when I try to delete a message from my inbox I get a message that reads "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." Restarting Outlook does not solve the problem nor does rebooting the computer. I've run my virus scan but nothing came up. What should I do now? First thing to try is to run ScanPST.EXE on your PST file to see if it's damaged "GaryT" <> wrote in...

email frozen
I received an unsolicited email that freezes my outlook. I'm a small business person - just me and I desperately need to get it to work. I need to access an email I have sent to a client. How can I delete that email? When I open outlook it just freezes with the hour glass. THANKS IN ADVANCE.... :) Diane The same thing happened to me yesterday and it's still frozen today! Someone please help! >-----Original Message----- >I received an unsolicited email that freezes my outlook. >I'm a small business person - just me and I desperately >need to get it to wor...

Can't receive email from certain domains
Hi, I am running Exchange 2000 Server and have recently discovered that we can't receive emails from certain domains. About six months ago we demoted and repromoted our Domain controller with a new domain name since we registered a new domain name. At the same time we also purchased a new SonicWall TZ170 router and installed at the same time. Since the upgrades and changes we have been unable to receive emails from a few domains. I have checked all antivirus, spam, and content filtering in our antivirus program and it is not a factor. I also checked to make sure the reverse lookup ...

Message attached to email: email might contain script...
When tracking email from Outlook to CRM, when I look at the email in CRM, I see the following warning: The email below might contain script or content that is potentially harmful and has been blocked. Open Message The recipient of the email is seeing this warning as well. I'm afraid my customers won't want to open emails from me if they see this warning. What causes this warning (Outlook or CRM) and how do I change settings so this does not happen? I would be surprised if this wasn't coming from your Exchange server. It is pretty normal for companies to strip out certain at...

plain text version of an html email
I have created an html email in Publisher, but know that a small percentage of my customers will see it in plain text. I have tested and there are problems w/ the plain text version. Yet I can't see it when I'm in Publisher to figure out what's wrong, or how to make the edits. Paragraphs are repeated, there is a large gap where the title image would be, links are not published, etc. Use a .pdf attachment if you want your email to be presented as you intend. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "a...

out going email
I have a question. I can receive my emails, but I cant send one on Microsoft Mail I've gone to the help area, and checked and rechecked everything I did to set up my account. but again, I can get my emails but I cant send one, now the response I get is error # 0x800ccc19, can anyone help me with this? Thanks, -- Mira D. Jarrett, LMT, MTI, ESMT Certified classes in Equine Massage ~ Relax on a bed of Warm Stones ~ Call for you appointment 979.695.9387 ~ Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database...

Setting email so server will not save emails on server
I have two computers. ( Desktop & laptop) I seldom use the laptop but when I do use it and get my emails it brings up every email that I have already read and deleted from desktop. Is there a setting where I can set so the server will not keep the deleted emails? On both machines: Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of messages on the server. On one machine only, (The desktop would be logical for you), check to Delete messages after X days to satisfy your allotted space you get from your server, and Remove from server when d...

strange path taken by my emails
why do my emails have these strange strings of numbers in front of them? Some of them say bounce several times and others are like the one copied below. I just moved my account from windows live to outlook 2007. The reason I ask is that it makes it very hard to apply rules when the address is like this, it used to just say; on behalf of; Gardeners Supply [] ...

office 2007 products configuring on open with windows 7
I have office 2007 home and student and outlook 2007 installed on new computer with windows 7 64 bit. Two problems are occuring. One is the windows installer attempting to reconfigure every time I open any of the office 2007 apps. If I open them with administrator it does not happen. The other is outlook 2007 turns off and on when it is opening. By that I mean the address bar turns on and off in constant 1-2 second intervals which interrupts any function that is occuring such as typing a message or downloading messages. Also if I have another office 2007 app open such as word ...

Cannot access email through OWA
Hello- I changed a users password in AD earlier, and now the user cannot access his email through OWA. No error message just keeps prompting him to login. Probably something stupid Is it only 1 user? If so, reset the password again and force AD replication (W2K Sites and Services - Right click on NTDS...) Give it about 10-20 minutes and see if that user can access through OWA again. If not, have the user logon to a workstation first and then try again. Doug Blanchard [MSFT] Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This p...

HELP ---- Lost email at work
HELP. My main file at work has over 300000 in size. There are over 100 folders in this file ***_*******.pst, but when the file is imported into Outlook -- it is empty! All of my files are gone --- is there a way to fix this problem??? Ann What version of Outlook? What do you mean "import"? Why not just "open" it. Your use of this word suggests to me you are doing something which causes this data loss, or perhaps the data is really there but Outlook doesn't read it correctly. Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms Paladar` wrote: > HELP. ...

Email with attached email in shared mailbox
I have a user that is unable to open attached Outlook email message in a shared mailbox more than once without closing out & reopening Outlook. She is using Outlook 2003 SP3 (11.8206.8202) under Windows XP SP2. The user is able to open a message and open any attached email messages once without any problems. However, if she closes the attached email message and attempts to reopen it, she immediately receives 'Operation Failed'. If she copies the message with the attached messages to her main Outlook mailbox, she can open the attached messages as many times as she wis...

Outlook Express removes access to attachments
Hello, I cannot find any info in the knowledgebase for this. I have a client whose outlook express tells her that "OE Removed access to following unsafe attachments in your email..." for some attachments. It does not do this for word doc attachments but does for all others. Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Thanks, Don Miller If you had searched Google Groups, you would have found about 70,000 identical questions and answers. Tools->options->security. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Don...

Sending Emails to around 1000 emails from one email.
Hi there, Can anyone help me how to send emails to 1000 email ID in one go from outlook 2003. I have to send newsletter to 1000 customers but i cant send more than 30 emails from Ms Outlook 2003. Please help me!!! Thank you Use a mail merge or, alternatively, contact your ISP and explain you = need the limit raised and for what purpose. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Anurag asked: | Hi there, |=20 | Can ...

email attachments #11
When I send a Word or Excel document as an email attachment, the recipient receives a ".dat" file, not the Word or Excel document I sent. How can I ensure that the document I send as an attachment will be received as intended? Change your message format to HTML or Plain Text for more info see: -- Roady [MVP] Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news a...

help saving files
I want to save my sent files and inbox files to cd because im getting a new computer and want to import them into my new outlook. I found the address book file but i cant find the other files please help thanks jake Hi, Search For the PST file in your computer. That is the file that contains all the data inside your Outlook. Search for *.pst and then backup your pst files. To find out the location of the current PST file used by your Outlook , Right Click on Personla Folders and then Click on Properties and then the Advanced Buton. Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN &quo...

disappearing emails in Outlook 2003
I am running Outlook 2003 on WinXP SP2. I see the box pop up in the lower right-hand corner indicating that a new message has arrived, but when I open my Inbox, the message is not there. No matter which way I sort the messages, there are no new ones. This is happening on a broader scale. I usually receive 50 or more emails per day. This morning, when I opened Outlook, I apparently received no messages, yet when I check the server (via webmail), there are no messages there. The odds that I received no messages at all this morning (and none so far today) are about a million to 1. I do NOT have...

Macro to delete attachment before E-mail is sent --- see inside
This macro saves the file, then opens Outlook to mail. It puts the names in the TO: field (arg1) and the file/location name in the Subject (arg2). However it still attaches the file. I don't want the file attached. I'll change the Subject (arg2) to be a text message but I want the text are to say, "Please click on this link (insert file location here)" to view my request that needs your approval. Sub Approved() ' This macro will send the file to the Facilities and Accounting On Error Resume Next ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="d:\downloads\" & Ra...

Email HELP: Email with Voting buttons from excel, Keeping email bo
Hi All, I am sending emails in outlook through excel with voting buttons. But, whenever I vote using voting buttons in outlook, Email body gets deleted when the voting response email is sent. Is there any outlook property that I can use to keep the email body from getting deleted when the voting responses are sent? So for eg: If I have enabled voting buttons and asked to vote on something from person xyz, the person xyz votes "accept" or "reject" and the email body is deleted when I receive the vote response email. Is there a solution for this? I want t...

Outlook 2003 hyperlinks opening to home page
I am having an issue with a Windows XP Pro machine running Outlook 2003.The problem is that when you click on a link inside an email, IE will open, but only go to the homepage. it can be as simple as going to the Yahoo website and it will not go there. it makes no attempt to go to the desired website unless you copy and paste. The issue is resolved 1. Open Windows Explorer 2. Go to Tools > Folder Options... 3. Click the "File Types" tab 4. Find (NONE) URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol, click it, and click the "Advanced" button 5. Click the open action an...

Harvesting Email Addresses
When I receive an email with 200 recipient email addresses in the "To" field, I often contact the sender telling them to please either set up an email distribution list or put the names in the "BCC" field so that spammers will not harvest them. However, I just tried to harvest the email addresses in Outlook 2000, but I was unable to get the email addresses to copy -- just the recipient's names. Am I correct to be concerned that the visible addresses are easy to harvest? I can double click on each name and see the email address, but I cannot figure out a way to e...

Max Email Size
Hi all. I have a strange problem. I have an Exchange 5.5 installed on Windows NT 4. The server is configure to accept a maximum email size of 30 meg. The problem is that email with an attachement over 10 meg is refuse by the server. My user have an outgoing maximum size at 15 meg and a incomming of 5 meg. What's the problem ? Thanks Jonathan The problem is some other mail server, like recipient's (or relay), which has different message size limit. Jonathan wrote: > Hi all. > > I have a strange problem. > > I have an Exchange 5.5 installed on Windows NT 4. Th...

Can't open options
I cannot open the Options menu in Excel 97. I get an error message and then Excel quits. I am running Excel 97 on Windows XP sp2. I tried reinstalling Excel. That didn't fix the problem. I also tried Run: "my path here/excel.exe /unregserver" (no quotes) The unregserver command brings up a dialog box that says something like application can't be found. If I run the same command leaving out "/unregserver", then excel starts normally, so I know the path is correct. Still can't open the options. Help. Thanks. -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://www.denn...

Differences between Bulk email, Email, and Bulk Emails inside Contact?
Hi Buddy, I would like to clarify the main differences between these three attributes, are they affecting the marketing list? If contact "Mr. A" is turn bulk email off, what would happen if we send out a email campaign? Is there any references that would let me to learn more on these attributes? Thanks a million! Below is an excerpt from the CRM help files. I hope this helps. My understanding is that if you select to Allow E-mail and select to Do Not Allow Bulk e-mail that the Contact or Account will receive "regular" e-mail but will not receive e-mail related to ...

Account won't open in Money 2005
When I launched Money 2005, it could not find my data file, which was indeed missing from its proper folder. I was able to successfully restore from the backup. All appeared well. Now, one of the five accounts in my Account List will not open. When I click on the problem account in the Account List, the screen simply refreshes and returns to the Account List Screen. All other accounts open correctly. I tried repairing the data file. Money said their were no problems to repair, but the one account still will not open. Restoring again from the backup does not solve, either. I need the i...