delay in opening an office 2007 file from the explorer window

I have office 2007 installed on a win XP pc.
I seem to be experiencing a very peculiar problem. When I try to open a file
from the explorer window (a *.xls, *.xlsx, *.doc, or *.docx), it takes a very
long time for the opening process to complete. But if I first start an
application (word or excel) and then open a file from within the application
menu, there is very little delay.

How do I solve this problem? What settings can I change to fix this problem?
I first thought that this was a problem only for office 2003 files and that
time was needed for the conversion process. But this is not the problem as
there is no delay when opening from the application.
The problem is particularly acute when opening a file I receive as attachment.

Do you have an Anti Virus app that has integrated with Office that is
scanning files prior to opening?
BTW There is no conversion process in opening a file created by an earlier
version.

"CuriousAnt" <CuriousAnt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have office 2007 installed on a win XP pc.
> I seem to be experiencing a very peculiar problem. When I try to open a
> file
> from the explorer window (a *.xls, *.xlsx, *.doc, or *.docx), it takes a
> very
> long time for the opening process to complete. But if I first start an
> application (word or excel) and then open a file from within the
> application
> menu, there is very little delay.
>
> How do I solve this problem? What settings can I change to fix this
> problem?
> I first thought that this was a problem only for office 2003 files and
> that
> time was needed for the conversion process. But this is not the problem as
> there is no delay when opening from the application.
> The problem is particularly acute when opening a file I receive as
> attachment.

0
DL
1/16/2010 10:42:33 PM
Hi DL,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have an anti virus application. How do I find
out if it is integrated with Office for scanning? Will this cause a delay?
How can I reset this if I want to? Is it advisable?
Why is this not a problem when opening a file from within an application?

"DL" wrote:

> Do you have an Anti Virus app that has integrated with Office that is
> scanning files prior to opening?
> BTW There is no conversion process in opening a file created by an earlier
> version.
>
> "CuriousAnt" <CuriousAnt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have office 2007 installed on a win XP pc.
> > I seem to be experiencing a very peculiar problem. When I try to open a
> > file
> > from the explorer window (a *.xls, *.xlsx, *.doc, or *.docx), it takes a
> > very
> > long time for the opening process to complete. But if I first start an
> > application (word or excel) and then open a file from within the
> > application
> > menu, there is very little delay.
> >
> > How do I solve this problem? What settings can I change to fix this
> > problem?
> > I first thought that this was a problem only for office 2003 files and
> > that
> > time was needed for the conversion process. But this is not the problem as
> > there is no delay when opening from the application.
> > The problem is particularly acute when opening a file I receive as
> > attachment.
> >

> .

Might depend on the AV, both symantec & McAfee are notable resource hogs
Usually there would be an option in the AV to turn off office integration

> Hi DL,
> Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have an anti virus application. How do I
> find
> out if it is integrated with Office for scanning? Will this cause a delay?
> How can I reset this if I want to? Is it advisable?
> Why is this not a problem when opening a file from within an application?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Do you have an Anti Virus app that has integrated with Office that is
>> scanning files prior to opening?
>> BTW There is no conversion process in opening a file created by an
>> earlier
>> version.
>>
>> "CuriousAnt" <CuriousAnt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have office 2007 installed on a win XP pc.
>> > I seem to be experiencing a very peculiar problem. When I try to open a
>> > file
>> > from the explorer window (a *.xls, *.xlsx, *.doc, or *.docx), it takes
>> > very
>> > long time for the opening process to complete. But if I first start an
>> > application (word or excel) and then open a file from within the
>> > application
>> > menu, there is very little delay.
>> >
>> > How do I solve this problem? What settings can I change to fix this
>> > problem?
>> > I first thought that this was a problem only for office 2003 files and
>> > that
>> > time was needed for the conversion process. But this is not the problem
>> > as
>> > there is no delay when opening from the application.
>> > The problem is particularly acute when opening a file I receive as
>> > attachment.
>> >

>> .

0
DL

Updating Money Deluxe 2007 question
Will Microsoft keep the Money updates available permanently, as they do with updates for old operating systems like Windows 98? The reason I ask is that, at least in my experience, Money updates have never been a manually downloadable file, but rather once you install the program, Money calls out on the Internet and looks for updates. If Microsoft doesn't keep the updates online, is there any way to download the update files now for permanent keeping? I did a test. I installed Money 2007 Deluxe on my Virtual PC. As soon as I went into the program after installation, it updated ...

Help on parallel port programming under Windows XP
Dear all, I have a problem in programming to read a pin from the parallel port under Win XP. Anyone got any sample code to help me? Best regards, Choon Beng Phee Choon Beng wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a problem in programming to read a pin from the parallel port under > Win XP. Anyone got any sample code to help me? > > Best regards, > > Choon Beng > > Application programs cannot read/write I/O ports in NT/2K/XP, only device drivers can. If your needs are simple you can find free drivers that will let you do this at http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm ...

Typing delays
I am having intermittent problems in both Outlook and Word. When I type, there is a significant lag time before the letters appear on the screen and if I type too fast everything gets stuck and i have to slowly enter each letter. Can anyone help? Unlikely to be related to Outlook, esp. as it's happening in Word, too. Does it happen in, say, Notepad? I'd post in a group for your OS version. Renee wrote: > I am having intermittent problems in both Outlook and > Word. When I type, there is a significant lag time before > the letters appear on the screen and if I type too fa...

Reports in 2007
I have recently moved from Access 2003 up to 2007. The reports are not behaving the same. In one report which lists classes, I have a subreport that lists the books always under the last class. In 2007, it still lists the books under the last class but it displays the report heading of the subreport under ALL the classes (a total of 3 times). Anyone know why? I've changed the heading to page heading and then it doesn't show the subreport heading at all on the report. Well, it must be a quirk with 2007. The report prints just fine. "DSmith" <Donna@NOTSPAMres-xray...

Delay in an action for certain time and then let it execute
How do i delay an action for certain time and then let it execute automatically. For an example i want some action to execute and then need to close the form after 2 Minute time. How do this 2 min delay can be imposed? "aliz" <aliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7F82FA6-B807-4A70-A2F4-64932F83C778@microsoft.com... > How do i delay an action for certain time and then let it execute > automatically. > For an example i want some action to execute and then need to close the > form > after 2 Minute time. > > How do this 2 m...

Publisher 2007 Upgrade
Hello, what are the requirements in order to purchase the upgrade edition of Publisher 2007 and can it just go to work on Pub 2003 files ? Thanks in advance. Phil. PhilMaznyk wrote: > Hello, what are the requirements in order to purchase the upgrade edition of > Publisher 2007 and From http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Publisher-2007-Version-Upgrade/dp/B000HCXKLW: Microsoft Access 2000-2002; Microsoft Office Access 2003; Microsoft Works 6.0-10; Microsoft Works Suite 2000-2006 or later; any 2000-2007 Microsoft Office suite; and any Microsoft Office XP suite (I would assume that...

HOW DO I Add-In Dplot into Excel 2007
Currently does not add in correctly ...

Getting mdb to work in Access 2000 runtime / Slow in Access 2007
Our company recently rolled out new pcs (DuoCore P4 with 1 GB ram) with Office 2007 pre-installed. All my databases ran very smoothly when running in Access 2000 through 2003 on Pentium 2 pcs with 256 MB ram. Now with 2007, they run VERY slow. Just entering into a new field in a form (or even directly in a table) causes the cursor to pause anywhere between 5 and 20 seconds! What happens is the cursor will blink 2 or 3 times and then stop for 5 to 20 seconds - anything typed in while the cursor is paused will not show up when the cursor starts blinking again. You can imagine how annoying...

Multiple Excel spreadsheets will not respond when opened from server
Using XP 2003 with server w/Windows 2000 Server software. XP is new installation. When opening Excel files on the network the first one and usually the second one opens okay. Usually the third file will require 100% of the CPU power and then all three files show up in the Windows Task Manager as "Not Responding". They continue to show up on the monitor, but after changing an entry and attempting to save they are "read only". No one else is using this file. What is the solution? I would suspect you're getting interruptions of service hits on the network.......I get them...

preventing winword from opening
When ever I forward a document in Outlook 2003 it wants to open Winword and from the time I click forward to the time I can type something in, it takes approx 20 seconds before I can type something. Why does winword have to open and can I prevent it from opening. Thanks, Pete ...

Read XML file
Hi Here's my problem. Actually I have an XML file like this : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <ApplicationSettings> <Section Name="Transfert"> <Key Name="m_blnTransfRoleBD" Value="True" Comment=""/> <Key Name="m_blnTransfRoleHyper" Value="False" Comment=""/> <Key Name="m_blnTransfCRBD" Value="False" Comment=""/> <Key Name="m_blnTransfCRHyper" Value="False" Comment=""/> &...

Get an exception opening CD-Rom file with MDI framework
Hi, I'm using VC.Net 2003 and this happens on both Win2k and XP. It can be reproduced on the simplest MFC MDI generated by AppWizard. It happens when the CTime(FILETIME) constructor is called with with a null FILETIME. The null FILETIME results from getting the last access time using ::GetFileTime() from a file opened on a CD-ROM. Within the constructor, ::FileTimeToLocalFileTime() is called with null input. It produces garbage output (ffff ffbc f1dc c000) without complaint. When this output is passed to ::FileTimeToSystemTime() an exception is thrown. This is the call stack...

Delayed sending of emails
Does my computer have to be on to send delayed sending of email messages/ I will be out of town and my computer off - so I assume that the message would not go out . Right? Danz, you wrote on Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:38:00 -0700: > Does my computer have to be on to send delayed sending of email messages/ I > will be out of town and my computer off - so I assume that the message would > not go out . Right? That's right. But many email providers support that feature. If someone sends an email to you during your absence this mails will be replied automatically with an message th...

all MS OFFICE programs crash on start up
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I am not able to start up MS OFFICE any longer. When ever I start up any of the programs, it crashes and closes. This happens with all of the programs in MS, Word, Excel..etc.. it also happens if I log into a different user account on the same computer. I tried removing the program using the UnInstaller and reinstalling but the same problem occurs. I have posted the error report that I can send to Apple if anyone can figure it out. I would be very grateful if anyone knows what this is happening or how to fix it... Than...

Reinstalling Studen Version of Office Enterprise
I needed to buy a new computer due to damage of the old one. Is it possible to reinstall a student version of Office 2007 Enterprise on to my new computer? Scooter You will need to do the following since they are the only ones that can help you at this point Contact your IT Department at your Educational Institution from where you got your Enterprise version of Office -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Scooter19" <Scooter1...

problem opening excel files from my documents folder
After saving an excel document I can only open it from within excel. If I click on the file icon in "My Documents",I get the error message,"C:\MyDocuments\filename.xls is not a valid Win32 document" This occurs with all.xls files. What can I do to correct this problem? Thanks... Al >-----Original Message----- >After saving an excel document I can only open it from >within excel. If I click on the file icon in "My >Documents",I get the error >message,"C:\MyDocuments\filename.xls is not a valid Win32 >document...

What are pst files?`
I am supposed to copy users pst files to their local pc. I don't quite understand any of this. Can anyone help me in layman's terms? Thank you. http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/24017/Windows_24017.html --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, HT asked: | I am supposed to copy users pst files to their local pc. | | I don't quite understand any of th...

Office problems after update
Hi, I hope someone can help - I've searched various user groups online but couldn't find any solutions... I've been using Office 2004 on my PB for months - no problems at all. But after downloading the most recent update, it's all gone wrong... Word now crashes whenever I try and copy and paste text and whenever i try and use bullets. Also when I try and copy text and paste in another app (like Mail or Excel). Should I try reinstalling Office - and ignore the Office updates? thanks... See the reply to your post in the Word group. For future reference it is preferable to ...

Adding commands to the Excel 2007 Chart context menu
Hi, NG, In Excel 2003 to add a command to the Excel 2007 Chart context menu you add your command to the commands in CommandBars("Object/Plot"). In Excel 2007 this does not work, the commands are not added, and there seems to be no other command bar I can use to add commands to the Excel 2007 Chart context menu. Any idea how to customize the Excel 2007 Chart context menu? Thanks, Andreas I have asked this and the answer is: You can't. Apparently when they converted the chart elements into the gaudy new Office shapes, the Office group took over control of much of t...

Office 2007 save as delay
In Office 2007, when I try to save a document in another folder than the default one it starts indexing my root files... and it takes some time to do it. If I click on the side icons (like My coputer or My document) it moves a bit quicker, but it is still delaying the saving process. In Windows, disconnect any mapped drives that are not currently available. CristianA wrote: > In Office 2007, when I try to save a document in another folder than the > default one it starts indexing my root files... and it takes some time to do > it. If I click on the side icons (lik...

Run Macro Automatically When Excel 2003 Opens
!!! HELP PLEASE !!!!! I have a password protected MS Excel 2003 spreadsheet with several Pivot Tables and numerous tabs collecting and displaying data based on these Pivot Tables. Specific individuals can open this MS Excel 2003 file for updates using a password and others simply open the file in "Read Only" mode. I have seven (7) Pivot Tables I need to have refreshed each time the MS Excel 2003 file opens. I created a macro called "RefreshAllPivotTables" in This Workbook. The macro goes to each of the Pivot Tables and refreshes the linked data wh...

Why does opening a Publisher file also cause Adobe Photoshop to open?
I have a Publisher file, that was created in Publisher 2000 that opened normally until I installed a newer version of Adobe Photoshop on my computer (Creative Suite 1). Now whenever I try to open the file, Photoshop also opens. Is there some way to stop this from happening without having to recreate the Publisher document from scratch? Are you saying both programs open? Look at the file associations. Right-click a Publisher file, properties, opens with... change. Associate it with Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.micro...

Outlook Rule That Forwards after Time Delay if Message not Read
Is there a way to set up an Outlook Rule that if a message is not read after a certain amount of time, that Outlook will automatically forward a copy to someone else? I have Outlook 2003 on Exchange Server 2003. Thanks. Nope. Rules run at the time of receipt or sending. -- Judy Gleeson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Outlook www.acorntraining.com.au "Sabrina" <spedeupe@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152573563.135350.183000@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to set up an Outlook Rule that if a message is not read > after a certain amount of ...

Tiger/Office 2004/Office 2008

open word file
Hi i would like to open word file using getopenfilename by using excel macro and copy the data to excel file. Sub test() Dim appWD As Word.Application Dim appWDS As Word.Document Set appWD = CreateObject("Word.Application.8") appWD.Visible = True filetoopen = Word.Application.GetOpenFilename("All Files (*.*),*.*") Workbooks.Open filetoopen end sub Here you go. This works. It's not exactly like your code, but you get the idea. The "text to be pasted" should be replaced with text from your Excel file. Let me know if you need help getting...