"Configuring Microsoft Office Basic 2007" every time I start

  • Follow

I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it could
not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to
Office 2007.  Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring
itself.  I might add iTunes is the same.  It means starting the PC is an
even more laborious process than usual.

Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does not
install either, and does not go away.

It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce.  Every step
forwards involves two steps back.

Apart from swapping to Apple (as my niece suggested), does anyone know of
any fixes?

0
Reply Bill 12/14/2009 10:21:02 AM

In article <#EFhjcKfKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Bill Davy wrote:
> I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it could
> not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to
> Office 2007.  Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring
> itself.  I might add iTunes is the same.  It means starting the PC is an
> even more laborious process than usual.
>
> Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does not
> install either, and does not go away.
>
> It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce.  Every step
> forwards involves two steps back.

Try removing and re-seating the memory chip.

I've had windows report that it was unable to access files on the disk after
I've upgraded (but not properly seated) memory.

0
Reply Steve 12/14/2009 4:16:30 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <#EFhjcKfKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Bill Davy wrote:
>> I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it
>> could
>> not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to
>> Office 2007.  Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring
>> itself.  I might add iTunes is the same.  It means starting the PC is an
>> even more laborious process than usual.
>>
>> Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does
>> not
>> install either, and does not go away.
>>
>> It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce.  Every
>> step
>> forwards involves two steps back.
>
> Try removing and re-seating the memory chip.
>
> I've had windows report that it was unable to access files on the disk
> after
> I've upgraded (but not properly seated) memory.

I'll try that tonight though I would hardly expect the chip to pass the BIOS
memory test if it was noisy.  Worth a try though.
Thanks,
    Bill

0
Reply Bill 12/15/2009 8:55:35 AM

Bill Davy wrote:

> "Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <#EFhjcKfKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Bill Davy wrote:
>>
>>>I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it
>>>could
>>>not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to
>>>Office 2007.  Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring
>>>itself.  I might add iTunes is the same.  It means starting the PC is an
>>>even more laborious process than usual.
>>>
>>>Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does
>>>not
>>>install either, and does not go away.
>>>
>>>It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce.  Every
>>>step
>>>forwards involves two steps back.
>>
>>Try removing and re-seating the memory chip.
>>
>>I've had windows report that it was unable to access files on the disk
>>after
>>I've upgraded (but not properly seated) memory.
>>

> I'll try that tonight though I would hardly expect the chip to pass the BIOS
> memory test if it was noisy.  Worth a try though.
> Thanks,
>     Bill

Unless you ran a utility to test memory, you haven't tested it, the BIOS
is merely a "memory check" to see what is installed.

0
Reply Bob 12/15/2009 1:17:48 PM

"Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
> "Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>> In article <#EFhjcKfKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Bill Davy wrote:
>>> I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it
>>> could
>>> not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to
>>> Office 2007.  Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring
>>> itself.  I might add iTunes is the same.  It means starting the PC is an
>>> even more laborious process than usual.
>>>
>>> Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does
>>> not
>>> install either, and does not go away.
>>>
>>> It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce.  Every
>>> step
>>> forwards involves two steps back.
>>
>> Try removing and re-seating the memory chip.
>>
>> I've had windows report that it was unable to access files on the disk
>> after
>> I've upgraded (but not properly seated) memory.
>>

> I'll try that tonight though I would hardly expect the chip to pass the
> BIOS memory test if it was noisy.  Worth a try though.
> Thanks,
>    Bill

OK, passed two hours of memory test without error.

So, what gives?

I did find something about changing the permissions for the registry entry
for .pip but that seems a bit random.

0
Reply Bill 12/16/2009 4:52:02 PM

> OK, passed two hours of memory test without error.

Oh well. Another nice theory goes down in flames.  Still, it's good that you
could eliminate bad/mis-seated RAM as the culprit.

> I did find something about changing the permissions for the registry entry
> for .pip but that seems a bit random.

.PIP files hold config info for some of the office apps.  It's worth a try ...

0
Reply Steve 12/17/2009 4:21:40 PM

>> OK, passed two hours of memory test without error.
>
> Oh well. Another nice theory goes down in flames.  Still, it's good that
> you
> could eliminate bad/mis-seated RAM as the culprit.
>
>> I did find something about changing the permissions for the registry
>> entry
>> for .pip but that seems a bit random.
>
> PIP files hold config info for some of the office apps.  It's worth a try

I've found another "cure" at
http://forums.techarena.in/office-setup/659180.htm so I will try that and
report back next week.

0
Reply Bill 12/17/2009 4:54:21 PM

> "Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> OK, passed two hours of memory test without error.
>>
>> Oh well. Another nice theory goes down in flames.  Still, it's good that
>> you
>> could eliminate bad/mis-seated RAM as the culprit.
>>
>>> I did find something about changing the permissions for the registry
>>> entry
>>> for .pip but that seems a bit random.
>>
>> PIP files hold config info for some of the office apps.  It's worth a try
>>

> I've found another "cure" at
> http://forums.techarena.in/office-setup/659180.htm so I will try that and
> report back next week.

Nope.

And no yellow triangles in the event log.

Guess I'll have to live with it.  Perhaps in an update one day they will fix
the problem.

0
Reply Bill 12/21/2009 11:02:13 AM

In article <ORL33ejgKHA.5564@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Bill Davy wrote:
> "Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
> > "Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message

> >> Oh well. Another nice theory goes down in flames.  Still, it's good that
> >> you
> >> could eliminate bad/mis-seated RAM as the culprit.

> >> PIP files hold config info for some of the office apps.  It's worth a try
> >>

> > I've found another "cure" at
> > http://forums.techarena.in/office-setup/659180.htm so I will try that and
> > report back next week.
> >

> Nope.
>
> And no yellow triangles in the event log.
>
> Guess I'll have to live with it.  Perhaps in an update one day they will fix
> the problem.

Sigh ... O well.  Sorry to hear it.

0
Reply Steve 12/21/2009 4:28:27 PM