Spinning Wait Cursor on Editing Word Documents

  • Follow

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Over the past few days in nearly all of my documents, when I begin editing old documents, or editing new documents, I get the Spinning Wait Cursor which lasts indefinitely (5min+).  I have run through Disk and Permission Verifies and repairs and the problem persists.   <br><br>Recommendations?
0
Reply Bill_Capehart 2/8/2010 4:01:58 AM

Make sure that both Office & OS X are fully updated. It's pointless to chase
symptoms if all updates haven't been done.

You may also be experiencing a font conflict -- quite prevalent with Snow
Leopard. Run the OS X Font Book app to Resolve Duplicates & Validate Fonts.

Another basic consideration is whether you've kept Word and/or your Mac
running 24/7. Often a simple restart will clear up that sort of behavior.

If problem continues reply with any additional info you can supply.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/7/10 11:01 PM, in article 59bb2705.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com" <Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Over the past few days in nearly all of my documents, when I begin editing old
> documents, or editing new documents, I get the Spinning Wait Cursor which
> lasts indefinitely (5min+).  I have run through Disk and Permission Verifies
> and repairs and the problem persists.
>
> Recommendations?

0
Reply CyberTaz 2/8/2010 1:42:06 PM

&nbsp;&nbsp;Kernel Version:&#09;Darwin 10.2.0 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tue Nov  3 10:37:10 PST 2009;  <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
0
Reply Bill_Capehart 2/8/2010 6:09:41 PM

If I had the answer to that I could write a one page book & retire on the
income from it :-) I believe there are a number of contributing factors
including fonts being accessed less frequently than others as well as font
cache accumulations. For some it happens immediately, for others there is a
delay, for most it doesn't occur at all.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/8/10 1:09 PM, in article 59bb2705.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com" <Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have restated, rebooted, run Disk Utility (fixing the disk and permissons)
> and the problem persisted.  I've just cleared the fonts and things *appear* to
> be working but I am not sure as to why this woudl happen at this juncture
> since a while since major upgrades to Word or OSX.  Why now?
>
> M S Word 2008 for Mac  Version 12.2.3 (091001)
> Latest Installed Update 12.2.3
>
>   System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
>   Kernel Version: Darwin 10.2.0
>   Boot Mode: Normal
>
>   Darwin 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0:
>        Tue Nov  3 10:37:10 PST 2009;
>        root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

0
Reply CyberTaz 2/8/2010 8:24:15 PM

How did you "clear the fonts" and what does that mean? I am having the same
problem as you were. And is everything still working ok? Thanks.

"Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com" wrote:

>   Kernel Version:	Darwin 10.2.0 <br>
>        Tue Nov  3 10:37:10 PST 2009;  <br>
>        root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
> .

0
Reply Utf 3/29/2010 6:32:05 PM

"katmcg" wrote:

> How did you "clear the fonts" and what does that mean? I am having the same
> problem as you were. And is everything still working ok? Thanks.

Open the font book under edit to to "resolve duplicates"

And sorry, no. Word continues to fail and the problem as drifted into Excel
over the past week!.  I have tried removing, reinstalling Office 2008,
checking the disk and permissions using the Snow Leopard install DVD and the
full suite of recommendations that people have offered in these forums and
elsewhere on the web.  (I've even gone back and forth in this process with
clean uninstalls and clean reinstalls in both 32 and 64-bit mode.  No
improvement.)

As the problem persists and is expanding to other Office software I am
facing the grim reality of having to migrate to iWork or OpenOffice -- a
choice I do NOT want to make for a number of obvious reasons, but at least it
allows me to edit documents without failing more often than not.  If I could
stay with MS Office 08 I would do so as I already have a large time and money
investment in the software but last week I crossed the tipping point of MS O
being an asset and a liability.
0
Reply Utf 3/29/2010 7:48:01 PM

(page loaded in 0.114 seconds)