Spinning Wait Cursor on Editing Word Documents

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Over the past few days in nearly all of my documents, when I begin editing old documents, or editing new documents, I get the Spinning Wait Cursor which lasts indefinitely (5min+).  I have run through Disk and Permission Verifies and repairs and the problem persists.   <br><br>Recommendations?
0
Bill_Capehart

Make sure that both Office & OS X are fully updated. It's pointless to chase
symptoms if all updates haven't been done.

You may also be experiencing a font conflict -- quite prevalent with Snow
Leopard. Run the OS X Font Book app to Resolve Duplicates & Validate Fonts.

Another basic consideration is whether you've kept Word and/or your Mac
running 24/7. Often a simple restart will clear up that sort of behavior.

If problem continues reply with any additional info you can supply.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/7/10 11:01 PM, in article 59bb2705.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com" <Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Over the past few days in nearly all of my documents, when I begin editing old
> documents, or editing new documents, I get the Spinning Wait Cursor which
> lasts indefinitely (5min+).  I have run through Disk and Permission Verifies
> and repairs and the problem persists.
>
> Recommendations?

0
CyberTaz
2/8/2010 1:42:06 PM
&nbsp;&nbsp;Kernel Version:&#09;Darwin 10.2.0 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tue Nov  3 10:37:10 PST 2009;  <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
0
Bill_Capehart
2/8/2010 6:09:41 PM
If I had the answer to that I could write a one page book & retire on the
income from it :-) I believe there are a number of contributing factors
including fonts being accessed less frequently than others as well as font
cache accumulations. For some it happens immediately, for others there is a
delay, for most it doesn't occur at all.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/8/10 1:09 PM, in article 59bb2705.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com" <Bill_Capehart@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have restated, rebooted, run Disk Utility (fixing the disk and permissons)
> and the problem persisted.  I've just cleared the fonts and things *appear* to
> be working but I am not sure as to why this woudl happen at this juncture
> since a while since major upgrades to Word or OSX.  Why now?
>
> M S Word 2008 for Mac  Version 12.2.3 (091001)
> Latest Installed Update 12.2.3
>
>   System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
>   Kernel Version: Darwin 10.2.0
>   Boot Mode: Normal
>
>   Darwin 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0:
>        Tue Nov  3 10:37:10 PST 2009;
>        root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

0
CyberTaz
2/8/2010 8:24:15 PM
How did you "clear the fonts" and what does that mean? I am having the same
problem as you were. And is everything still working ok? Thanks.

"katmcg" wrote:

> How did you "clear the fonts" and what does that mean? I am having the same
> problem as you were. And is everything still working ok? Thanks.

Open the font book under edit to to "resolve duplicates"

And sorry, no. Word continues to fail and the problem as drifted into Excel
over the past week!.  I have tried removing, reinstalling Office 2008,
checking the disk and permissions using the Snow Leopard install DVD and the
full suite of recommendations that people have offered in these forums and
elsewhere on the web.  (I've even gone back and forth in this process with
clean uninstalls and clean reinstalls in both 32 and 64-bit mode.  No
improvement.)

As the problem persists and is expanding to other Office software I am
facing the grim reality of having to migrate to iWork or OpenOffice -- a
choice I do NOT want to make for a number of obvious reasons, but at least it
allows me to edit documents without failing more often than not.  If I could
stay with MS Office 08 I would do so as I already have a large time and money
investment in the software but last week I crossed the tipping point of MS O
being an asset and a liability.

How adjust top and bottom margins within a single line edit control?
I have found that I can use SetMargins to adjust the margins to the left and right of text within a (singleline) edit control. I would like to be able to do the same thing with top and bottom margins but I can't find any nice way of doing this. Does anyone know a good solution to this? The solutions I have considered are: (a) Use a multiline edit control and make it function as a single line edit control (if that works). Then use SetRect or SetRectNP to reposition the 'formatting rectangle' (these only work with multiline edit controls). OR... (b) Use WM_NCCALCSIZE to ...

Word field codes in Excel data file Includetext
Excel 2003 on XP I want to use an Excel spreadsheet as a data file for a merge project that is too large for a Word table, but I need to use Word field codes, expecially Includetext, in the data. If I try to paste, or use paste special options, with a field code created in a Word docment into Excel I get the resulting text, not the code I want. Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mranz" <mranz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2D4F5F6F-6F4E-4DF2-B840-675AACE815B7@micros...

In Word the shortcut keys to change from UC to LC is shift F3....
In Word the shortcut keys to change from UC to LC is shift F3, why not have the shortcut keys to do the same in Excel? Hi is this a question on how to change case in Excel, or a request for MS to implement the shift F3 short-cut, if it is the later then email them at mswish@microsoft.com with excel in the subject line and details of what you would like in the message body. if the former then reposting in the form of a question might receive an answer. -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "jdtrkohler" <jdtrkohl...

Open a Word Doc referenced in a form field
I'm trying to set a button to open a word doc that is referenced in a "DocName" field on my form. I've looked at several examples on this forum but am unable to make it flow just right. Are there any reference libraries I need to include? What is the most efficient method to do this?? Thanx for your help On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:12:00 -0800, Tom wrote: > I'm trying to set a button to open a word doc that is referenced in a > "DocName" field on my form. I've looked at several examples on this forum > but am unable to make it flow just right. ...

A spin on the old TRANSPOSE question
A "search" turns up dozens of repetitions of the same question: "How d I convert a column of data into a row of data?" Easy: Copy, Past Special, Transpose. But how about for a column of repeating data? E.g.: A B C D A B C D A B C D and so on, to be converted to: A B C D A B C D A B C D, continuing. I recorded a quick macro to copy and paste special (transpose), but i kept recopying the original copied data. Manually copying and pastin is going to take way too long. Is there a formulaic method of doin this? Thanks!: ----------------------------------------------- ...

cursor has changed from 10pt to 7pt
my document is Times Roman 10pt but my cursor is very tiny, probably 5 or 6pt. How can i change it? If this is Word 2003, you have encountered a known issue. Change the zoom to, say, 500% and then back to whatever you want. That should fix the "mini cursor" bug (at least temporarily). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Claudia" <Claudia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32F16312-3191-435A-93C0-10688E62E9FF@microsoft.com... > my document is Times Roman 10pt but my cursor is very tiny, probably 5 or > 6pt. > How can i ch...

DVD drive spinning up
How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options! Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time? -- regards, |\ /| | \/ |@rk \../ \/os On 5/28/2010 10:17 AM, Linea Recta wrote: > How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? > In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options! > Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time? Well it spins up even without a disc in the drive actually. It is just quieter and it realizes pret...

Haber and Thompson fonts come and go (Word 2004)
I have used the nonstandard Thompson and Haber fonts with past versions of Word (5.1, 98...), (I had to add them into the font folder). They now appear to be built in as "standard" fonts in Word 2004, but they do not always appear in the font menu or font book in OS10.3. They seem to come and go intermittantly. Sometimes a restart makes them reappear, sometimes not. Any ideas what is going on here? Mark ...

Odd border around Edit Box
VC++ 6.00 (MS Developer Studio) I created some simple edit boxes but wanted to change the background color to white so I overrode OnCtlColor with this code: if (pWnd->GetDlgCtrlID() == IDC_OUTPUT_STRIP) { // Set color to Black on White pDC->SetTextColor(RGB(0,0,0)); pDC->SetBkColor(RGB(255, 255, 255)); which did have the desired coloring effect but has an odd artifact of putting a black border around the edit box: http://www.griffobros.com/EditBox1.jpg The first box was created with Class Wizard and has only the 'Border' box checked. I've dink...

Edit options in the forms tool bar un-usable
I have an employee here that is excel-savvy but can't understand why she can't use the edit options in the forms toolbar. (nor can I)These consist of the "Edit Box", "Combination List-Edit", "Combination drop-down edit", and "Edit Code" tools. Can anyone explain this to me or tell me how to make them available? They're there, they just aren't usable. I was thinking that she has to be in a certain mode but I just don't know. It's to be compatible with excel 5 files, with files created with 97 and later they are not avai...

Contact Edit
Windows 7, I bring up the Edit Contact window but can not change the email address. How do I do That? Earl After you click Edit Contact, are you clicking Contact at the left? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Earl Partridge" <earlp@pearnet.com> wrote in message news:OooAtvzqKHA.6064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Windows 7, I bring up the Edit Contact window but can not change the > email address. How do I do That? > Earl > When you open the main "Edit Contact" window, you still have to sele...

Count the words in a cell
Dear exper A cell contains a lot of information. Is it possible to count certan word in a cell please? Say A1 contains a series of text .... 1. Daily Swing even though Sto is hit high or low 2. Look at Chart pattern 3. Stop at dangerous level How can I count number of "O" in the cell A1 please? Thanks Elton Try this... =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1),UPPER("O"),"")) Note that SUBSTITUTE is case sensitive. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Elton Law" <EltonLaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43F...

Comparing Two Documents
Hi there, I was on the Word Newsgroup yesterday and posted a query asking if I could compare two documents if I had the original and the updated version, and to my amazement I could (using Tools-> Tracked Changes)!!!! I am therefore wondering if there was anything similar for Excel?? I have two documents from an external source - both of which follow the same layout and have the same sheets in the same order etc. Is there any way of detecting what changes have been made since the original document was issued (i.e. to key inputs and also to formulae within cells???) I would rea...

Printing vendor item number of primary vendor on SOP documents
Has anyone figured out a way to print the primary vendor's item # on a SOP picking ticket, packing slip, order or invoice? I'm looking at changing my part # scheme to eliminate having the Vendor part # in our item numbers, but I need to still print that vendor # somewhere (or I'll have a revolt from my service techs!). Thanks, Jason Should just be a modification to add that field to whatever document you want it on using Report Writer. Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL I realize that that's the solution, but my real question is how do I properly ...

Cursor disappears 11-25-09
Today installed Office 2010 Beta. Am running Windows 7. While using Word from this suite (which I understand is actually Word 2007), if I hold down the spacebar the cursor disappears while it is advancing. I can't tell where it is until I release the spacebar. Very troublesome and I can't find a way to fix it. -- meamjw Word in Office 2010 is Word 2010, but its behaviour in this regard is the same as it was in 2007, which was a change from earlier versions. The cursor does not disappear, but it does not stop flashing and, so, is not always visible. If you must do ...

About Cursor
Hi, I create two views using splitter window in MFC, while the left one is used to set options and the right one draw the scene according to the command of the left one with openGL. Now I want the cursor of the mouse is visial in the left view and unvisial in the right one.That means when the cursor falls in the rect of the right view it disapeared and in other field it works all right! How can i do that? Have any ideas? Thanks! Probably the simplest way is to have an OnSetCursor handler in the RH window and do a SetCusor(NULL) to hide the cursor. joe On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:44:27 +080...

Why has Word 2007 suddenly become extremely slow?
I copied my user-defined templates from Word 2003 to the library where Word 2007 stores its templates and suddenly it slowed down, so that it takes 15-20 seconds for the program to open or for a file to load. Nothing like this has happened to other Office programs. Word 2007 also started asking for a folder to save "Normal.dotm" refusing to use its standard template folder. For general troubleshooting, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Frank Grevil" <Frank Grevil@discussions.micros...

Create a Word Search Puzzle in Excel
I recently attended a Tips, Techniques and Shortcuts course for Excel. The instructor showed an intriguing feature...he created a Word Search Puzzle in seconds using Excel. May anyone direct me on how to create this puzzle? My children are constantly tasked to make these puzzles for school . I think this would be really cool for them to use. Thank you, Briggitte Briggitte, not for excel, but this site has a lot of puzzles you can make http://puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com/ -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 97 & 2000 Please post any r...

Closing outlook
Hello group, what can i do, when my outlook 2003 is slow in closing them? Thank you! Matthias S. Perhaps something is interfering with the closing of the file and holding Outlook open. Often third party integration can cause this issue: antivirus FAX synch software for a handheld antispam etc. To see if this is the case, open Outlook in safe mode: Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe and /safe) If it then closes without issue, you will have to check for third party Add Ins that integrate with Outlook to see which one is causi...

bad type for word wrap
Dynamics GP v9.0 Message pops up in a window with the error "Bad type for word wrap." Purchasing>transaction entry User creates a credit memo, saves, posts. When printing this message pops up. It does not cause any problems with the posting or printing. It is more of an annoyance than anything. Can anyone tell me how to stop it from popping up? It happens even if I change the default printer. -- ToddR Has the posting report been modified? If so, does the same message appear if you disable the modified report for the user, forcing use of the standard version? -- Richar...

Spin Off
Hey, I've entered the spinoff data for Medco Health solutions from Merck and Money 2000 running under Windows 2000 ME responds with "This operation cannot be performed" after the last piece of data is entered. A microsoft human suggested the data I'm entering must be bad. Thanks for looking at this, Anxious in Asheville I always hate having to send people down this path, but I fear you are a good candidate to read: http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104. Good luck. <chernobog@charter.net> wrote in message news:04f501c3b946$d9cb3b50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I'...

Using a macro to edit cells?
Is there a way to edit cells similiar to conditional formatting but us a macro button to perform the desired action? This macro would d something based on cell contents. I.e. bold all text that starts wit a certain set of characters -- bdun ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bdunk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=50 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26548 Hi of course this is possible. Have you already experience with VBA? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "b...

Document Library/Download/Login Popup
I have my SP server set up for internal access and external access using active directory integration and also local user accounts on the SP server itself. When accessing internally, IE uses the cached credentials when access SP and the user does not have to enter user/pass. If i open a document internally, it opens fine. If i access the server from external, i always have to enter a user/password to access the SP at all. When i click to open a document, it asks me again for the user/password before the document will open. I do not want to choose the option of checking the box ...

Renumbering a List in Word 2008
If I recall correctly (and there is a definite risk in that ;) ), back in Word 5.1a I could select a group of numbered paragraphs that had not been correctly ordered and invoke a Reorder command and it would do so. I do not think those paragraphs were in a "list style." Is there a similar feature in Word 2008? And if so, does it work whether the paragraphs are in a list or paragraph style? Thank you. -- Norm Hi Norm: In the Palaeolithic versions of Word, numbers were not lists they were "Text" and you could sort on them. In modern versions of...