Missing File menu!

  • Follow

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I just ran an update on my Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac and I no longer have a file menu! <br>
go to the Commands page. Scroll to the bottom of the Commands list &amp; select <br>
Built-in Menus then from the Commands list drag File to its rightful place <br>
on the Word Menu Toolbar [which displays directly below the actual Menu whil <br>
in that dialog].<-- <br><br>Which I found within this Mactopia Forum. :( HELP!!
1
Reply VeraSoliman 3/13/2010 10:57:57 PM

The next step is to find and delete the file Normal.dotm.  Unless you have
moved it, it should be in:
/Users/ ~ /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

Then re-start the computer.

Whatever it was, that should fix it.

Cheers

On 14/03/10 9:57 AM, in article 59bb529b.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"VeraSoliman@officeformac.com" <VeraSoliman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> just ran an update on my Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac and I no longer have a
> file menu!
> I'VE ALREADY TRIED:
>
> -->First thing to try: In Tools> Customize> Customize Toolbars/Menus go to the
> Toolbars page, click the name of the Menu Bar then click the Reset button.
>
> If that doesn't correct it go on to phase #2: In the same Customize dialog
> go to the Commands page. Scroll to the bottom of the Commands list & select
> Built-in Menus then from the Commands list drag File to its rightful place
> on the Word Menu Toolbar [which displays directly below the actual Menu whil
> in that dialog].
>
> Which I found within this Mactopia Forum. :( HELP!!

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
Reply John 3/14/2010 12:39:05 AM

Thanks!!!! this solved my problem!!!! I REALLY hope it doesn't happen again!
0
Reply VeraSoliman 3/14/2010 2:53:04 AM

It's unlikely to happen again.  It has never happened to most of us.  But
you know what to do about it now :-)

You carry out the same two steps, in the same sequence.  One or other of
them cures it every time.

There's a third step: deleting the prefs, which you can come back for if you
ever need it :-)

Cheers

On 14/03/10 1:53 PM, in article 59bb529b.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"VeraSoliman@officeformac.com" <VeraSoliman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks!!!! this solved my problem!!!! I REALLY hope it doesn't happen again!

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
Reply John 3/14/2010 9:38:11 AM

(page loaded in 0.035 seconds)