How to vertically center text within a table cell?

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with data.  As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell.  When I highlight the cell and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chose cell tab and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately, there is no change to the text in the table.  Any suggestions on how to vertically center text within a cell?
5
quassinoid

0
Bob_C
2/20/2010 2:05:52 PM
Based on your description you're doing things right. I'm not sure what your
expectations are, though. The vertical centering effect will not be apparent
if the height of the row/cell is not significantly more than the combination
of font size & line spacing require. The default row height is adjusted for
single spaced based on font size, so there's nowhere for the text to move.

IOW, if you simply create the table, type a single line of text (or more)
into a cell, then apply vertical centering you will most likely see no
change take place -- that's expected. If you then increase the row height by
at least another line the text will shift appropriately to remain centered
between top & bottom walls of the cell.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/19/10 7:31 PM, in article 59bb3210.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"quassinoid@officeformac.com" <quassinoid@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with data.
> As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell.  When I highlight the cell
> and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chose cell tab
> and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately, there is no
> change to the text in the table.  Any suggestions on how to vertically center
> text within a cell?

0
CyberTaz
2/20/2010 2:07:45 PM
On Feb 19, 6:31=A0pm, quassin...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel =
I have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with da=
ta. As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell. When I highlight th=
e cell and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chos=
e cell tab and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately,=
 there is no change to the text in the table. Any suggestions on how to ver=
tically center text within a cell?

If I'm reading your question correctly, another way to center text in
the table is to place the cursor in the body of the text and hit
Command->E.  This also works if you highlight the column or row, or
multiples thereof.   Command->E will center the text,  Command->L will
justify left, command->R will justify right.

Max
0
Maximzodal
2/20/2010 5:54:32 PM
On 2/20/10 12:54 PM, in article
73a6536a-d925-4940-9c6a-575d2d524df7@f42g2000yqn.googlegroups.com,
"Maximzodal" <maximzodal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 6:31�pm, quassin...@officeformac.com wrote:
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
>> have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with data.
>> As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell. When I highlight the cell
>> and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chose cell
>> tab and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately, there is
>> no change to the text in the table. Any suggestions on how to vertically
>> center text within a cell?
>
> If I'm reading your question correctly, another way to center text in
> the table is to place the cursor in the body of the text and hit
> Command->E.  This also works if you highlight the column or row, or
> multiples thereof.   Command->E will center the text,  Command->L will
> justify left, command->R will justify right.
>
> Max

The strokes you're quoting are for paragraph alignment (horizontal) of
paragraphs. The inquiry pertains to Vertical positioning centered between
top/bottom of the cell.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz

need to know exist in one table and not exsit other
I need to find the rows that exist in one table but not in the other with this condition: (prod_name exist in table1 and not in table2.prod_name ) AND (prod_name exist in table1 and not in table2.'S'+prod_name ) explanation: i want to know if the product not exit and if the combination of the charachter "S" with the product Name also not exist at the other table B.R yuvi Try something like the following. SELECT T1.ProdName FROM TableOne as T1 LEFT JOIN TableTwo as T2 ON T1.ProdName = T2.ProdName WHERE T2.ProdName is null UNION SELECT T1.ProdName FROM TableOne as T1 LE...

Text Wrap
I have text wrap on a cell with lots of text and I use "Alt Enter" to create new lines within the cell. The last two entries in the cell are not wrapping though the first four entries within the cell wrap just fine. Is there a way to get the last two entries within the cell to text wrap? Thanks! Is the rowheight big enough? And if those last two entries are really long, then maybe a few more alt-enters to break them up???? Craig wrote: > > I have text wrap on a cell with lots of text and I > use "Alt Enter" to create new lines within the cell. The > l...

Repeating a formula in text
I'm concatenating two columns in an excel data file. The formula works, but won't replicate in the column to subsequent rows, all it will do is copy. I'm tearing my hair out - I've done it before but all of the sudden it won't work. Can you help? 1) What happens if you hit [F9] ? If this recalculates the correct results - then your Calculation option is set to "Manual". 2) Did you, by mistake, fix the References of the concatenated cells with $ [like: $A$1] ? Micky "Lyn" wrote: > I'm concatenating two columns in an ex...

cell background
Is there a setting that will change the default setting of a cell background from white to say, light gray, when the cursor is in it? When the user elects a default configuration, or one time configuration, of a white background with the cells outlined in black there is only a very weak visual indication of where the cursor actually is, and you sometimes wind up referring to the formula bar to verify where you are. Using Excel 2000. ...

Conditional format to cells containing a #DIV/0! error
I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet. In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the selected font color to be white. What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu? If I set the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work. A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the divided by zero error may contain a number. Basically I would like the cells t...

how to draw text vertically?
for example, some software like Microsoft Word, when docking a toolbar to left or right, the text on button will be drawn vertically. In article <eShIl7FZGHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Bill Gates says... > for example, some software like Microsoft Word, when docking a toolbar to > left or right, the text on button will be drawn vertically. Basically you specify the angle in lfEscapement of the LOGFONT structure. Then call CreateFontIndirect with this structure and you'll get a rotated font of type HFONT. Use SelectObject to select the font and then you can use TextO...

Excel Pivot Table
Hi all, I have a pivot table where I created a calculated field that averages three of the fields in the pivot table. My problem is that it averages the "blank" (which are created from blank fields in the source data) fields instead of ignoring them. How can I average the fields in a Pivot Table and not include the blanks in the average? Use =Sum(F1,F2,F3..)/Count(F1,F2,F3...) Blank cells will add nothing to the Sum total, and Count will only count the cells with numbers; hence you can obtain the average for the numbered cells. Paul "Jeff" <Jeff @discussions....

Accessing a HID Endpoint within a composite device
I have a composite device that has 3 interfaces. Interfaces 1 and 2 are vendor specific and Interface 3 is a HID endpoint that Windows recognizes and load the HID class driver for. To get my driver to work, I need to install it for the composite device, which then hides all the end points and makes the HID interface invisible to Windows. What I'd like to know is : Is it possible for my driver to be installed on the composite device, control 2 of the 3 interfaces and expose the 3rd (HID end point) to Windows' HID driver? If it is, how do I do this? I have only limited contr...

Text running
Hello I don't know if there is a code that keeps a word ( for example FOOTBALL) running from left to the right of the cell. I appriciate even a small help. Thanks in advance Where would you like it to run to? English and most other languages run left to right. Middle East countries usually run right to left. There are various methods of text alignment in cell formatting>alignment. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:39:01 -0700, MAX <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello >I don't know if there is a code that keeps a wor...

MS ACCESS REPORT EXPORT TO TEXT FILE
I have an Access Report which I am using to create a text file for upload into a 3rd party application. When Access exports the text file it is creating a carriage return (i.e., empty row) in the first row of the created text file thereby making the file incompatible for upload to the 3rd party. Is there a setting I need to select to prevent this from happening? Any suggestion you may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help! Regards Thanks Eric. "Eric Blitzer" wrote: > If you are creating a file for import you would be better of exporting the > que...

I want to display a graph vertically
Hello, I have a problem with displaying a graph in excel. It seems like the default way of displaying a graph is from left to right, that is, the longer part stretches out to the right. On my graph, dates are on the left (vertically) and an other factor is on the right (horisontally). I want the dates tp be horisontally and the other factor vertically, and the curve/graph should go from top to bottom, like a waterfall if that better explains it. That is, I would like to rotate the graph, but not by saving the graph as a gif-file and rotate it in Visio for instance, but as a real excel-graph, ...

Text to Column Function Rejects Zeros
Hello, As part of a project, I was conducting a survey (administered online) using Snap survey software. Snap automatically sends results into an Excel file, which is great. However, several of the questions allowed participants to select more than one item ("Check the top 3 things..." etc.). These responses were coded in Excel into a 10101 format, where 1=checked and 0=not checked, all in one cell. Since 0 represents a response, I selected the cell formatting of these columns as Custom (Format->Cell->Number tab->Custom), so any 0s before the first 1 would not drop o...

Algebra within a cell
How do you set-up a formula in a cell that multiplies a constant times the number you insert? Ex. the constant is .315 remains present at all times only the number you insert changes - =.315*(x) You can't unless you use an event macro, if you need a formula you have to use another cell as help =0.315*A2 where A2 holds x you can also put 0.315 in a cell, copy it, select the cel with x and then paste special and select multiply. But to get this instantly you have to use something like Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Intersect(Range("A2"), Target)...

Visio
I have started to learn UML class diagram design and am using Visio 2003 (SP1) with Software > UML Model Diagram template as by base for design. My biggest frustration right now trying to model i cannot change the Type to anything expect for the items already in the list. Is there any way to add custom text to this? Help would be appreciated. ...

Formula to increment sequence only if text in a particular cell
Hi, I'm new to this, and not sure how to do this, I'd like to increment a field by one only if there's text in a particular cell. This is what I have, so I'm trying to write a formula that automatically populates column A...this is what I have tried =IF(C4<>"","Test_"&TEXT(ROW(A1),"000"), "") --- but this formula increments even when no text in B, so I end up with a value of Test_003 in A3, where I need to have Test_002 A B 1 Test_001 some text 2 ...

text flow
Is there a way to have text flow around the outline of a graphic so the text takes the form of the image? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Brian Lubroth <blubroth@communityschool.us>!"... > Is there a way to have text flow around the outline of a > graphic so the text takes the form of the image? Use the "Tight" wrapping option? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm I'm not really looking to wrap the...

Linking cells to files in a folder
Hello, I'd like to link cells in a column to files in a folder. The cell value is the file name within the folder. Is there an easy way to do this without linking one cell at a time? Thank you. Try to cut and paste this macro code to a new excel file and run. Sub AutoHyperlinkFileNametoExcel() Dim fnam As Variant ' fnam is an array of files returned from GetOpenFileName ' note that fnam is of type boolean if no array is returned. ' That is, if the user clicks ' on cancel in the file open dialog box, fnam is set to FALSE Dim b As Integer 'counter for filnam...

vertical text
Any one help me with displaying text vertically, without expanding the row height? Dan, Do you have exceptional eyesight? Bernard "Dan" <hemidan@aol.com> wrote in message news:27b301c38367$5ae76490$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Any one help me with displaying text vertically, without > expanding the row height? ...

Summing an unknown range of cells
I'm trying to create a generalised expense claim form for a group of people. Each row refers to a particular expense and the user of the form (the claimant) adds rows as needed, so the actual number of rows is unknown at the time of creating the form. What I would like to be able to do is, for example, insert the SUM function in a particular column to sum all the cells in the column above it (some may be empty) up to a particular row. For example, suppose the SUM function is in column C then I would like to write something like: SUM(C9:C(*-1)) where "*" refers to the row th...

I would like the tabs in Excel to be listed vertically on left.
There's no option setting that will move the sheet tabs to the left. You can send suggestions to: mswish@microsoft.com Put "Excel" in the subject line, so your suggestion will be forwarded to the Excel product managers. Suzy wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How to fill missing cells in the collumn of dates?
Hi, I have large set of data. I have two columns for every variable: first consists of dates (from 01.01.2000 to 01.01.2008) and the second column consists of values for every date. The problem is that some dates are missed (for example I have 01.01.2000 and next row is 05.01.2000). Is it possble to insert row for every missed date and fill the date in the first column? I can do it manually but I have 7 variables with different set of dates so it will take ages to do it manually. Thanks. In column A I have: A,B,blank,blank,C,blank, blank,blank,D In G1 type =A1 In G2 type =IF(ISBLANK(...

Excel -- Wrapped text disappears
A user here is having the same problem as described in a previous topic (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/b32b50c3e69981d/dc8adb6c01616d70%23dc8adb6c01616d70). Windows XP Pro, SP2 Office 2003 Pro, SP2 New machine with plenty of resources. Was originally working properly, then mysteriously developed a strange symptom: Any text that is in an Excel cell in which the "wrap text" option has been selected no longer shows up. I have checked it with 1 character, 1 word, and multiple lines of text. It has been repeated with spreadsheets created on...

Comments in Cells #2
I have come across a few spreadsheets where a comment will pop up when a cell is selected. The unique thing is there is not a comment holder in the cell. Is there a setting or do you have to insert some VBA code to do this? Thanks you in advance for any help. Jacob I've found out my own answer but FYI for anyone else wondering how to do this see instructions below. Select cell that you want to insert comment in Left Click Data -> Validation -> Input Message Type Message you would like to have Click OK That it your off to the races. Jacob ...

Convert vertical data to horizontal data
I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for each employee? Copy - paste special - transpose -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Kiley" wrote: > I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings > appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for > each employee? I think I need more information. I tried what you suggested but I got the following me...

SaveAs using two cells for filename
I'm trying to save a file with two cells of data to create the filename. Here is the code: Dim fname With ActiveWorkbook fname = .Worksheets(1).Range("B4").Value & .Range("E6") & ".xls" ..SaveAs fname End With I'm getting stopped on the fname line. I don't think I have the combination right. Can you help? Dim fname as String With ActiveWorkbook.worksheets(1) fname = .Range("B4").Value & .Range("E6") & ".xls" .SaveAs fname End With You missed the .worksheets(1) in front of E6. Any chance that one...