How to vertically center text within a table cell?

  • Follow

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with data.  As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell.  When I highlight the cell and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chose cell tab and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately, there is no change to the text in the table.  Any suggestions on how to vertically center text within a cell?
2
Reply quassinoid 2/20/2010 12:31:59 AM

0
Reply Bob_C 2/20/2010 2:05:52 PM

Based on your description you're doing things right. I'm not sure what your
expectations are, though. The vertical centering effect will not be apparent
if the height of the row/cell is not significantly more than the combination
of font size & line spacing require. The default row height is adjusted for
single spaced based on font size, so there's nowhere for the text to move.

IOW, if you simply create the table, type a single line of text (or more)
into a cell, then apply vertical centering you will most likely see no
change take place -- that's expected. If you then increase the row height by
at least another line the text will shift appropriately to remain centered
between top & bottom walls of the cell.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/19/10 7:31 PM, in article 59bb3210.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"quassinoid@officeformac.com" <quassinoid@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with data.
> As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell.  When I highlight the cell
> and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chose cell tab
> and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately, there is no
> change to the text in the table.  Any suggestions on how to vertically center
> text within a cell?

0
Reply CyberTaz 2/20/2010 2:07:45 PM

On Feb 19, 6:31=A0pm, quassin...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel =
I have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with da=
ta. As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell. When I highlight th=
e cell and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chos=
e cell tab and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately,=
 there is no change to the text in the table. Any suggestions on how to ver=
tically center text within a cell?

If I'm reading your question correctly, another way to center text in
the table is to place the cursor in the body of the text and hit
Command->E.  This also works if you highlight the column or row, or
multiples thereof.   Command->E will center the text,  Command->L will
justify left, command->R will justify right.

Max
0
Reply Maximzodal 2/20/2010 5:54:32 PM

On 2/20/10 12:54 PM, in article
73a6536a-d925-4940-9c6a-575d2d524df7@f42g2000yqn.googlegroups.com,
"Maximzodal" <maximzodal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 6:31�pm, quassin...@officeformac.com wrote:
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
>> have created a simple table in WORD and have begun to populate it with data.
>> As I type, the data appears at the top of the cell. When I highlight the cell
>> and choose TABLE --> TABLE PROPERTIES --> from the file menu, I chose cell
>> tab and changed vertical text to "CENTER" and hit OK; unfortunately, there is
>> no change to the text in the table. Any suggestions on how to vertically
>> center text within a cell?
>
> If I'm reading your question correctly, another way to center text in
> the table is to place the cursor in the body of the text and hit
> Command->E.  This also works if you highlight the column or row, or
> multiples thereof.   Command->E will center the text,  Command->L will
> justify left, command->R will justify right.
>
> Max

The strokes you're quoting are for paragraph alignment (horizontal) of
paragraphs. The inquiry pertains to Vertical positioning centered between
top/bottom of the cell.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac