How To Underline a Character Using Dots?

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Does anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter?  To me, this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot instead of a dash, if that is even helpful. <br>
If anybody could tell me how to do this, I would be very grateful. <br>
Thanks, <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Dave
0
lategr8bon

A single dot? That's virtually impossible. There are several dotted
underline options in the Format> Font dialog, but the number of dots will be
determined by the width of the character. It isn't something you can specify
or effectively control.

What is your actual intent? Are you trying to emulate a character from some
language-specific alphabet such as Ḷ or ḷ ? (These characters may not
display properly when you see this message.) if that's your intent you might
want to investigate the OS X Character Viewer which provides easy access to
just about any international character you might need. Just be prepared to
accept the fact that just because you can insert it doesn't necessarily mean
that it will be seen as intended when displayed on a different computer.

You may find some useful information here:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

Although the article is WinWord oriented the same techniques apply in Mac
Word. You'll just have to experiment with variations to get something
acceptable... But *under* will be a nifty trick :-)

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/12/09 5:11 PM, in article 59baee41.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"lategr8bon@officeformac.com" <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Does
> anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter?  To me,
> this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot instead of
> a dash, if that is even helpful.
> If anybody could tell me how to do this, I would be very grateful.
> Thanks,
>   Dave

0
CyberTaz
12/12/2009 10:56:19 PM
Thanks, Bob.   <br>
My actual intent is rather specific.  I am trying to transcribe a papyrus fragment.  It seems the accepted method of indicating a damaged letter is to place a dot underneath it.  It's quite common in published works, so I assume there must be a way to achieve it.  If this clarifies anything, I would be very thankful for further input.   <br>
In any case, I will look into the things you suggested. <br>
Thanks, <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Dave
0
lategr8bon
12/13/2009 5:14:06 AM
Hello Dave,

On 2009.12.13 7:11 AM, in article 59baee41.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"lategr8bon@officeformac.com" <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter?  To
> me, this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot
> instead of a dash, if that is even helpful.

Interestingly, words in the Japanese language are often
emphasized with a single dot _above_ each character.
If you have Japanese language enabled in the Language Register,
you can access the emphasis mark functions in the Format -
Font dialog, or from the Formatting Palette.

You can also use the Format - Style - New... - Format - Borders
option to add dots underneath a paragraph, but it doesn't seems to
apply on the character level.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/13/2009 8:05:13 AM
Hi Dave;

No doubt you see it in published works & no doubt it is possible, but those
works are not composed using Word or other word processing programs -- at
least not as far as the final typeset output. More likely they're done using
software that provides more sophisticated typography support.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/13/09 12:14 AM, in article 59baee41.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"lategr8bon@officeformac.com" <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Bob.
> My actual intent is rather specific.  I am trying to transcribe a papyrus
> fragment.  It seems the accepted method of indicating a damaged letter is to
> place a dot underneath it.  It's quite common in published works, so I assume
> there must be a way to achieve it.  If this clarifies anything, I would be
> very thankful for further input.
> In any case, I will look into the things you suggested.
> Thanks,
>   Dave

0
CyberTaz
12/13/2009 3:09:53 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly, but the suggestions
given so far seem overly complex to me. Can't you just use the "combining
dot below" (U+0323) or "combining ring below" (U+0325) diacritic?

I don't have Word 2008 around for trying at the moment, but it should be the
same as in Word 2007.

To enter this type of symbol make sure the font is set to a font that
supports it (e.g. Arial Unicode MS). Type the character you want to display,
followed by 0323. Select 0323 and press ALT+X to convert the code into the
appropriate diacritic.

Yves

<lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote in message
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Does
anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter? To me,
this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot instead
of a dash, if that is even helpful.
If anybody could tell me how to do this, I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
  Dave

0
Yves
12/13/2009 10:47:01 PM
Hi Yves;

You're absolutely right. The combining diacritic can be used, but for
several reasons it probably wouldn't be a viable solution... For one thing,
the ALT+X method isn't supported by OS X. That's why I guided the OP to the
OS X Character Viewer which would enable the insertion.

Most significant, though, the OP's second message indicates that the doc
involved is a transcription of a papyrus fragment & the purpose is to mark a
"damaged letter". Perhaps I'm assuming incorrectly but that gives me the
impression that choice of font might well not be an option.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/13/09 5:47 PM, in article #5Cg5YEfKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, "Yves
Dhondt" <yves.dhondt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly, but the suggestions
> given so far seem overly complex to me. Can't you just use the "combining
> dot below" (U+0323) or "combining ring below" (U+0325) diacritic?
>
> I don't have Word 2008 around for trying at the moment, but it should be the
> same as in Word 2007.
>
> To enter this type of symbol make sure the font is set to a font that
> supports it (e.g. Arial Unicode MS). Type the character you want to display,
> followed by 0323. Select 0323 and press ALT+X to convert the code into the
> appropriate diacritic.
>
> Yves
>
> <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Does
> anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter? To me,
> this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot instead
> of a dash, if that is even helpful.
> If anybody could tell me how to do this, I would be very grateful.
> Thanks,
>   Dave

0
CyberTaz
12/13/2009 11:35:54 PM
Hi Yves:

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too.

The COMBINING DOT BELOW is indeed Unicode 0323, available in several of the
Mac Unicode fonts.

To insert it in OS 10.6 you simply use the Character Viewer from the top
menu, search for the character by name, and click Insert (immediately to the
right of the character you want it to combine with).

There is a blurb from Apple here on how to type Unicode characters in all
Mac operating systems:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1518

Word 2008 does not seem to support the use of the "Alt + Unicode" method (I
am convinced that it does, but I cannot find out what the keystroke is...)

Once you get the character into the document, it will appear as a
question-mark, because the font is wrong.  Word should switch to the font
specified by the Character Viewer, but it doesn't: a Microsoft bug.  The
Character Viewer should specify the character in Unicode, but it doesn't: an
Apple bug...

However, the Character Viewer WILL tell you which fonts the character is in.
Select the single question-mark character and change just that character to
the font the Character Viewer tells you contains the combining character you
want, and your combining character will appear, neatly combined.

(No, you can't make an AutoCorrect out of it unless you make one for the dot
combined with each character of the alphabet, which may be more trouble than
it is worth...)

Cheers

On 14/12/09 9:47 AM, in article #5Cg5YEfKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, "Yves
Dhondt" <yves.dhondt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly, but the suggestions
> given so far seem overly complex to me. Can't you just use the "combining
> dot below" (U+0323) or "combining ring below" (U+0325) diacritic?
>
> I don't have Word 2008 around for trying at the moment, but it should be the
> same as in Word 2007.
>
> To enter this type of symbol make sure the font is set to a font that
> supports it (e.g. Arial Unicode MS). Type the character you want to display,
> followed by 0323. Select 0323 and press ALT+X to convert the code into the
> appropriate diacritic.
>
> Yves
>
> <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Does
> anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter? To me,
> this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot instead
> of a dash, if that is even helpful.
> If anybody could tell me how to do this, I would be very grateful.
> Thanks,
>   Dave

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/14/2009 12:30:01 AM
That might indeed be an issue, but I would be surprised that, if a dot below
is the common way to describe such a thing, the OPs font wouldn't support
this diacritic.

Also, the font used for the character shouldn't necessarely be the same as
the font used for the diacritic. Of course, if the aligment of both fonts is
different, that might result in display issues.

Yves

"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote in message
> Hi Yves;
>
> You're absolutely right. The combining diacritic can be used, but for
> several reasons it probably wouldn't be a viable solution... For one
> thing,
> the ALT+X method isn't supported by OS X. That's why I guided the OP to
> the
> OS X Character Viewer which would enable the insertion.
>
> Most significant, though, the OP's second message indicates that the doc
> involved is a transcription of a papyrus fragment & the purpose is to mark
> "damaged letter". Perhaps I'm assuming incorrectly but that gives me the
> impression that choice of font might well not be an option.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 12/13/09 5:47 PM, in article #5Cg5YEfKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
> "Yves
> Dhondt" <yves.dhondt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly, but the suggestions
>> given so far seem overly complex to me. Can't you just use the "combining
>> dot below" (U+0323) or "combining ring below" (U+0325) diacritic?
>>
>> I don't have Word 2008 around for trying at the moment, but it should be
>> the
>> same as in Word 2007.
>>
>> To enter this type of symbol make sure the font is set to a font that
>> supports it (e.g. Arial Unicode MS). Type the character you want to
>> display,
>> followed by 0323. Select 0323 and press ALT+X to convert the code into
>> the
>> appropriate diacritic.
>>
>> Yves
>>
>> <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote in message
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel
>> Does
>> anybody know how to place a single dot under an individual letter? To me,
>> this seems like the equivalent of underling a character using a dot
>> instead
>> of a dash, if that is even helpful.
>> If anybody could tell me how to do this, I would be very grateful.
>> Thanks,
>>   Dave

0
Yves
12/14/2009 11:03:23 AM
Thanks gang.  I wound up downloading a greek font that had a keystroke for the sublinear dot.  Somewhat cumbersome, but it got the job done.  the font was spdoric, if anybody cares. <br>
Thanks for your input! <br>
--Dave
0
lategr8bon

--B_3343787690_102362

Interesting, Dave � thanks for the feedback on this!

Jeff

On 2009.12.16 12:39 AM, in article 59baee41.8@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"lategr8bon@officeformac.com" <lategr8bon@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks gang.  I wound up downloading a greek font that had a keystroke for the
> sublinear dot.  Somewhat cumbersome, but it got the job done.  the font was
> spdoric, if anybody cares.
> Thanks for your input!

--B_3343787690_102362

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: How To Underline a Character Using Dots?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14pt=
'>Interesting, Dave &#8211; thanks for the feedback on this!<BR>
<BR>
Jeff<BR>
<BR>
On 2009.12.16 12:39 AM, in article <a href=3D"59baee41.8@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2=
ac0">59baee41.8@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href=3D"lategr8bon@offic=
eformac.com">lategr8bon@officeformac.com</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"lategr8bon@o=
fficeformac.com">lategr8bon@officeformac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><=
SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14pt'>Thanks gang. &nbsp;I wound up downloading a gree=
k font that had a keystroke for the sublinear dot. &nbsp;Somewhat cumbersome=
, but it got the job done. &nbsp;the font was spdoric, if anybody cares. <BR=

Thanks for your input! <BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3343787690_102362--

0
Jeff

Code for replacing underlined text with underlined blanks througho
Appreciate if the gurus here can show me some way out here. My problem statement is simple. * I am creating a pub file with many pages, with each page containing many objects including TEXT boxes. Text boxes contain text and some of the words are underlined. * I would like to run a macro which can replace ALL the UNDERLINED text to UNDERLINED spaces. This would help me create two pub files, with one file containing the filled text and the other where words need to be filled in. Currently I am doing it manually, and this is taking a lot of time, and not to speak of maintaining TWO...

Query using english and french version of Access 2003
Hi, I'm working on an application using Access 2003 English. My client is using Access 2003 French. There is only one problem with this "cross-languages" usage. In Access English a parameter from a form in a query would be: [Forms]![MyForm]!txtField1 In Access French a parameter from a form in a query would be: [Formulaires]![MyForm]!txtField1 So the queries created in one language don't work in the other... How can I overcome this problem? Thanks, David. HI. I also program my access database in English version an my clients have Portuguese. I think there's no p...

debugger shows the first character of a string only
Hi all, In VS 6.0, the debugger shows the first character of a string only. (variable of type CString). Is it possible to see the whole string? Thanks for ideas Vaclav > Hi all, > > In VS 6.0, the debugger shows the first character of a string only. > (variable of type CString). > Is it possible to see the whole string? > > Thanks for ideas > Vaclav > > You probably need to select "Decode Unicode Strings" under Tools->Options->Debug. Something I do often: 1. Open a memory window. 2. Add the CString to your watch window. 3. Open it ...

Using php code in files from publisher
Hi, I designed a page with Publisher, and now I want to add some PHP code. What I was trying to do was to import the Publisher html file into a php editor, add the code, and then save it with a .php extension. Unfotunately this doesn't work... I think it has to do with the .files folder... tried renaming it a few times, to no avail :( anybody? Thanks. Try this: In Publisher, assuming you have it set as a Web page, use Insert HTML code fragment from the tool bar. Use the Web preview to test. P. -- Overcome Sales Barriers http://salesbarriers.typepad.com/ "audiogram@gmail.com&...

OWA Using SSL
Our new Exchange 2003 server OWA works for http but no matter what I try https gets warning about site trust, but when you say yes it gives "page cannot be displayed" instaead of logon screen. We are not using any front end server, and the results are the same from inside and outside the firewall. Did you install a certificate? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Mike DeCroce" <MikeDeCroce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCFA7C57-6CE9-4008-830F-6D414404B074@microsoft.com... > Our new Ex...

clicking Special Characters causes computer to crash
Office has recently been updated on my computer to 2003. In the new version, when I click the Special Character button to see where tabs, line breaks, spaces, etc. are, the computer crashes. It goes to a blue screen with a text message that disappears before I can read most of it, but has something to do with a "thread" or "string." The blue screen lasts about one second, the the computer reboots. I lose everything I have not saved. What causes this, and how can I fix it? safety biker wrote: > Office has recently been updated on my computer to 2003. In the n...

to format one sheet using other sheet
How to duplicate a sheet by using other sheet? I have 30 sheets (for ex 100108, 100208, 100308 etc), one for each day in a month. I have 15 users working for me and every month, an user will join in team. Every month i have to insert a row for the new user and format all the cell for that user. Is there a solution if i format one sheet (100108), will the changes reflect in all the other sheets. Put the phrase "select sheets" into Excel help. -- David Biddulph "Lakki" <Lakki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD304D9C-657E-4253-91A9-FC2AA40D596...

limit number of characters in a cell
I am creating an application form to be used electronically. I want a particular cell to be free text, so users can write what they like (ie their name), but I want to limit the number of characters they can use. Can this be done? I have put text wrap on the cell, but it still allows me to enter more information than fits into the box. I want it to stop users entering info when the visible cell is full. Rob, Teesside, UK. "abfabrob" wrote: > I am creating an application form to be used electronically. I want a > particular cell to be free text, so users can write wh...

I say use Account 1, but OL uses Account 2
OL 2003, SP2 I started experiencing a strange phenom a few days ago. I have OL set up with a number of different accounts. The default account we'll call Account 1. I noticed that when I send email to one particular person (at an AOL account, fwiw). my copy of the message (found in my Sent Items folder) shows it to have been sent from one of my other accounts (call it "Account 2"). Since noting that, I've been extremely careful to make sure I've even manually selected the sending account. Other symptoms: 1) The aol recipient is not receiving the messages (tho...

Problem using FileStream and XmlDocument
Hi. I'm using a FileStream (instead of just the path to the xml file) to load an XmlDocument. I'm doing this because I need to be able to prevent other processes to update the file I'm working on. The problem is that I'm getting multiple processing instructions and multiple root elements in my xml file when I use a FileStream. Here is an example: test_1.xml contains: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <root> <myTag myValue="1">test</myTag> </root> test_2.xml contains: <?xml version="1.0" encoding=...

Problem sending mails after migration. Ciphers used in TLS with SM
Hi. Last week I migrated our email accounts to a new server, linux with sendmail 8.14.3 running on 64 bits fedora 12. Aparently all was working fine. Clients using Macs and windows 7 cant both send and receive e-mail when authentication is used. But this is not working using either windows live mail, outlook or outlook express when running over Windows XP. The accounts I have setup in those clients still work for other email servers installed not long ago. So I think this must have something to do with new ciphers used bye default within this new server. Is the default cipher use...

Using an if, have to correct when customer closes out
I right now have this: =IF(MONTH(D1)=MONTH(CFBB1!H394),CFBB1!A394,IF(MONTH(D1)=MONTH(CFBB1!H7),CFBB1!A7,IF(MONTH(D1)=MONTH(CFBB1!H30),CFBB1!A30,IF(MONTH(D1)=MONTH(CFBB1!H61),CFBB1!A61,IF(MONTH(D1)=MONTH(CFBB1!H95),CFBB1!A95,IF(MONTH(D1)=MONTH(CFBB1!H128),CFBB1!A128,CFBB1!A704)))))) This is for customers who are going to be comig due. If a customer closes out their account, then the customers reference will no longer be valid. Is there any way to have this auto correct? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi what do you mean with 'reference won't be valid'. Wi...

Adding Character Question
This is my first post on this forum. Thanks for having me. I have a se of data consisting of tracking numbers and locations. For example: A1 B1 54321568 California 33258469 Maine 77894965 Florida I want to insert a character (/) between A1 and B1 then be able to cop and paste my data into Microsoft Word so it will look like exactl this: Tracking number (Space) / (Space) Location: 54321568 / California 33258469 / Maine 77894965 / Florida I used this formula =(A1&"/") and it worked in Excel but this made m data, when pasted into Word look like: 54321568/...

INF for Ports class CDC USB device using usbser.sys fails DTM INFT
If a USB-to-serial CDC ACM specification device using usbser.sys is not classified as a modem, the New Hardware Wizard will not install the Virtual COM Port unless the INF file AddService directive Flags parameter has a value of 2 to set the SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE bit. This causes both ChkInf and the DTM "INFTest for a single .INF" to fail with error "(E.22.1302) Filter drivers cannot be the controlling service (SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE)." To certifiy the driver for a device that otherwise passes WINQUAL testing but is less complicated than a modem, is there any...

Using c# object in Excel VBA
Hi All I have writen an COM Object in C# to use it in Excel. This Object has a Function that delivers a List of Users from a Database. My problem is now that I get the List of Users but it is not posible to get one of the Properties of the User. But when I create a new Object with Set user = CreateObject("GuptaIntferface.UserVOCom") I can see all Properties of this object. My Question is now how can I tell VBA now that the objects in the List are the UserVOCOM Objects? thx for help Michael I'm kind of stabbing the dark on this one as I've never worked with a C...

Failed to run Windows Explorer from MFC using ShellExecute.
I use Visual C++ MFC 4.2. I need to run a Windows Explorer if user click a Button on my application. Here is the code: void RunExplorer() { CString sParameter; sParameter.Format( "%s %s", "/n, /e, ", "C:\\ABC\\" ); ShellExecute( GetSafeHwnd(), "explore", "explorer.exe", sParameter, sCDFolderSakuseiPath, SW_SHOWNORMAL ); } But it failed to execute the explorer. What was wrong? Thank you very much. Use open verb - ShellExecute( GetSafeHwnd(), "open", "explorer.exe", sParameter, sCDFolderSakuseiPath, SW_...

Why is the content of all my emails going out underlined?
Can you help? All of my emails are going out underlined which looks so rude. They are HTML format and look fine when I send them but if I receive one back from my original it is underlined. I have been advised by mail recepients that my email content is underlined. Does anyone know how I can stop this? "Sally W" <Sally W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DC904DA-536E-45FD-9F5D-19056A2A5EEA@microsoft.com... > All of my emails are going out underlined which looks so rude. They are > HTML format and look fine when I send them but if I r...

Corrupted email subject with 2 different character encoding
Hi, I'm now working on a auto-reply email system and found the following raw subject line is corrupted when display in outlook 2003. Subject: =?UTF8?Q?Testing =E5=A4=9A=E5=B9=B4=E5=89=8D=E7=95=99=E5=AD=B8=E8=A5=BF=E7=8F=AD=E7=89=99=E7=9A=84=E7=84=A6=E5=B0=8F=E5=A7=90?= <=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCNkMkLCQvJE4lOSVGITwlOCU7JUMlSCRyN0gkKCEiGyhC?=> Thunderbird can display it without any problem. The subject line contains two differrent character encoding: UTF8 and ISO-2022-JP. I found that the japanese chararcter can be displayed properly while the UTF8 text is corrupted. Any clues to fix t...

Why doesn't this array formula calculate properly using VBA?
I'm using an array formula to calculate row totals off a table of values. The formula is elegant and straightforward (adapted from something I found on Chip Pearson's great site), but when it's invoked via VBA it returns incorrect results; any subsequent change via the UI or a simple touch of the F9 key and it corrects itself. I have only a vague grasp of what the problem may be here. What I'm hoping for is (1) a clear explanation of the failure point(s) in the logic with regard to VBA's botching of the calculation, and (2) an alternate array formula that will cal...

Cannot Watch Internet TV Using Media Center
I would like to watch Internet tv in Windows Media Center but whenever I attempt it I get a notice "Sorry Internet TV is not Available in Canada." I live in New York State. My computer clock is set for EST time. I have no idea why the media center thinks I am in Canada. My OS is Vista, SP2. Thank you. Check the followings:- 1]Time zone 2]Regional and Language Options control panel 3]Language set into the Internet Languages option 4]If the above are OK then rerun the Media Center Setup using proper US Zip Code. regards, S.Sengupta[MS-MVP] "Nissi...

Underline Text in Word Art
Can anyone help me to Underline Text in Word Art. Am using Office 2003. You will have to do it manually with the line tool. If you have a shaped WordArt, using the curve tool might do it. You will have to experiment. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kupus" <Kupus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87116756-7C0F-4A66-8253-1D0E4C3F2E7A@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me to Underline Text in Word Art. Am using Office 2003. ...

Using Drop Down List to Autofill
Hello there, I need to send a word doc with the same structure to multiple counterparts. I want to create a drop down list so that when I select the name, the address, telephone and email details all autofill. I would also like other parts of the document further down to autofill based on the name selection. Is this possible, and if so, how? Many thanks, Paul -- PaulM This sort of document is described in http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please po...

Typing Chinese Characters in msgbox
Hi, I am creating a userform which in some ways displaying a error messages. I want to type English and Chinese translation together but looks like I cannot write in the code. It just shows as ??. But in the normal excel cells there is no problem typing Chinese. Is there anyway to fix this problem or I have to stick with only English message. Thanks for your help ...

Using a "variable"
I'm trying to make a payroll budget and would like to have as a variable the decimal value of the maximum raise I plan to give each employee (eg., 0.09 for a 9% raise). I would then multiply each currentyear salary by 1 + the value fo that variable. I guess I can assign a single cell to that variable and use it but that seems a little brute force-like. Is there a more elegant way to deal with this? Pete You could assign it to a named constant (While you're at it why not make it 1.09). If it were called raise then you would just have a formula like A1*Raise. Insert>Name&...

High Memory use
Hi Group I'm having a problem with a Dell Inspiron 1500 laptop with Vista home basic. .. It has only 1 gig of Memory. Memory use runs about 850-900 full all the time with no programs open. I've trimmed "services" and unchecked all but vital stuff in system configuration. Task manager-processes shows just the very basic stuff running. I'm at a loss to understand what this machine is doing with 90% if it's ram with little or nothing running. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bob Hansen Hi, Bob. Most users who worry about high memory usage are worrying...