DocX too large to open

Version: 2008

I have been working on a doc transferring photos, via the desktop, into the text.  It was taking an awfully long time to save and now I can't open it all as it says it is too large.  I realise now that the photos have gone over full size and the whole doc is 534 mb.  Can anyone help please.
0
JaneR

Hi Jane:

The document is NOT "over-size".  That's an out-dated error message that
should never have appeared.  The actual limit is just over 2 gigabytes,
because that's the limit for a 32-bit file system.

OS 10.6 is 64 bits, so will actually allow you to go far higher than that
(bigger than the entire hard disk...) but as you have discovered, the
document becomes impossibly slow to save.

In your case, the issue is that "something" in the document has corrupted
(which is not uncommon in a document that contains lots of pictures: it's a
bug).

However, since you are in .DOCX, you can get your pictures back.  Here's
how:

1)  Make a copy of the document file.

2)  Change the extension from .docx to .sip

3)  Right-click and open with BOM Archive

4)  You will see a little website appear.

In the folder named "Word" is another folder named "Media".

There are your photos: copy them out to a disk folder and re-label them :-)

Cheers

On 8/12/09 6:02 PM, in article 59bae6d7.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"JaneR@officeformac.com" <JaneR@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I have been working on
> a doc transferring photos, via the desktop, into the text.  It was taking an
> awfully long time to save and now I can't open it all as it says it is too
> large.  I realise now that the photos have gone over full size and the whole
> doc is 534 mb.  Can anyone help please.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/9/2009 5:46:52 AM
Thank you so much for replying. I have tried to do as you suggested.    I needed to make an archive of the  document to get at the BOM Archive prompt.  It then had extensionsip.zip. I tried to  right click this  and active BOMArchive only to get a message saying  <br>
&quot;Unable to unarchive     ........sip.zip into &quot;desktop&quot;.   (Error 1-Operation not permitted.) <br>
AM I doing something wrong here - do hope you can help further
0
JaneR
12/9/2009 7:44:41 AM
Hi Jane;

I'm afraid you were misled by a single - but critical - typo in John's
instructions :-) John doesn't make many mistakes, but when he does...

Step 2 should read: Change the extension from .docx to .zip, not .sip

See if that works better.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/9/09 2:44 AM, in article 59bae6d7.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"JaneR@officeformac.com" <JaneR@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much for replying. I have tried to do as you suggested.    I
> needed to make an archive of the  document to get at the BOM Archive prompt.
> It then had extensionsip.zip. I tried to  right click this  and active
> BOMArchive only to get a message saying
> "Unable to unarchive     ........sip.zip into "desktop".   (Error 1-Operation
> not permitted.)
> AM I doing something wrong here - do hope you can help further

0
CyberTaz
12/9/2009 1:32:19 PM
{Blush}  Bob is exactly correct.  The mistake was mine: I should have typed
..zip.

My typing is not what it should be ...

I am very sorry...

On 10/12/09 12:32 AM, in article
C7451113.5862F%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net, "CyberTaz"
<onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Hi Jane;
>
> I'm afraid you were misled by a single - but critical - typo in John's
> instructions :-) John doesn't make many mistakes, but when he does...
>
> Step 2 should read: Change the extension from .docx to .zip, not .sip
>
> See if that works better.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 12/9/09 2:44 AM, in article 59bae6d7.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "JaneR@officeformac.com" <JaneR@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much for replying. I have tried to do as you suggested.    I
>> needed to make an archive of the  document to get at the BOM Archive prompt.
>> It then had extensionsip.zip. I tried to  right click this  and active
>> BOMArchive only to get a message saying
>> "Unable to unarchive     ........sip.zip into "desktop".   (Error 1-Operation
>> not permitted.)
>> AM I doing something wrong here - do hope you can help further

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/10/2009 2:01:23 AM
JaneR
0
JaneR
12/10/2009 3:09:10 AM
Hi Jane:

Hmmm... That gets harder :-)

You don't have access to a PC do you?  This is easy on a PC.  Having removed
the media files (NOT the folder... Just the files inside it) you can then
simply close the .zip file and change the extension back to .docx.

Word will open it straight up (without its pictures...)  :-)

On a Mac, once you have opened the .zip file you cannot re-assemble it as a
..docx without using the command line.  If you do, the Finder has written
that silly hidden file in there and Word can't read the file after that.

The closest you could come is to open the original file in Mac Word, but
instead of choosing "Word document" set "enable" to "Recover text from any
file".

You will get back the unformatted text.

Hope this helps

On 10/12/09 2:09 PM, in article 59bae6d7.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"JaneR@officeformac.com" <JaneR@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob and John
>
> Thanks again - I am one step nearer to getting the document to open.
>
> I have followed the steps as described and actually  "cut" the photos out of
> the "Media" and put them in a folder on the desktop.
>
> Now I want to open the original document in Word (with out photos obviously)
> so I can start again to insert very small photos.
>
> Thanks
> JaneR

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/10/2009 9:07:11 AM
SUCCESS!   Thank you so much for that info - I managed to retrieve the doc via a PC as you suggested.  Can't tell you how grateful I am <br>
Thanks very much indeed  <br>
Jane R
0
JaneR

AP Credit Memo remains open when fully applied
I have a credit memo that is showing up as open despite being fully applied. I have reconciled and run check links, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! Credit memo might be in both open and history tables, check PM10000 and PM10200 and make sure that the transaction does not exist there. -- Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 mohdaoud@gmail.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20C1FBC7-9FD2-4B5E-961F-97883AFD290C@micros...

can't open docx files sent to me
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I really need some help here, I got sent these files to add to a project and I can't open any of them. When I click on them in the e-mail they show up as a zip, if I click on the zip them clone themselves. I'm dying here! I downloaded the latest version of stuffit expander. Any help would be much appreciated. You can Google &quot;.docx&quot; with or without the dot, and see what you get, or go directly to the Microsoft support web site and look to download a .docx translator that Microsoft has prov...

Saving and opening templates in Outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 Help says that to save a message as a template, the message must be created in plain text. Is there a way to save an HTML message as a template, so I can include embedded links in the message? Also, once the template is saved, how do I retrieve it? In Outlook 2003, the templates used to sit in the Outbox. Thanks. You should be able to use the File | Save As command to save any item as an ..oft template file, regardless of the format. Create a new item from the template by double-clicking the .oft file from wherever you saved it or by using the Tools | Forms |...

Excel Opens Multiple personal.xls
I had excel 2003 for many years, and it worked fine. When I opened mult. files it only opened up one personal.xls Now I have problem. Everytime I click on a spreadsheet to open it, it opens a whole new excel app. and a new personal.xls. If I have six spreadsheets open I have six personal.xls open. This never used to happen - any ideas? Thanks Andrew *** ...

Auto-Start Timer when Opening Existing Journal Item? #2
Hi folks - I've been looking for a way to automatically start the "timer" feature on an existing journal item every time it is opened, so that the "duration" field in list view collects the aggregate total of how many minutes that journal item has been open since it was created. I have found lots of info on how to auto-start the timer when a NEW journal item is created, but setting starttimer on OPEN still escapes me. If anyone can help out I'd appreciate it! michael Here's the VBA code to do start the timer on every journal item. Paste into the built-in T...

Large border around CTabCtrl client area
Is there any way to remove the border that can be seen here: http://www.fifthstreetdevelopment.com/mole/problem.JPG The border is between the red outline and the large blue box. The blue box is the CTabCtrl's client area, the red outline is an outline of the control...the gray stuff in between is what I'm trying to remove. I want the blue to begin right at the edge of the control, essentially I want the client area to be much larger and the non-client area to be nonexistant Thanks. I think this is not a problem most of the time when people put dialogs on the tab control since the...

Best way, how to keep DOCX for HTML output.
We use our DOCX documents in PDF and we need to use them on the web. How to work with Word, that we know the document is needed in HTML format too? (HTML output from Word 2007 is not usable. Big file with lot of redundant code.) I have not found any good resource, how to use css with Word2007 to prepare the HTML file for publishing on the web. Any idea, how to do this work effectively? -- Regards Jan Kratochvil Windows Vista Business SP2, Office 2007 SP 2 ...

Publisher 2000 freeze when opening/saving document
Hi ! I'm using Publisher 2000 under WinXP and whenver I want to open or save file, it freezes. Actually, it opens the common open dialog and starts using 100% CPU, never ending and never displaying any files. When saving, I the first minute or so, I can type the file name, but then the file is not saved as the dialog never closes. I also tried to put a fully qualified name, it doesn't change anything. Anyone has any idea on this issue ? Thanks a lot for your help OBones Have you installed the service releases for Publisher 2000? -- ...

Too large to send, yet the file gets saved.
I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days. This got my attention. I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single file that would not compress al that well :-) ) The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back message from the system administrator: This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter messa...

Calculating hourly average from large data set
I have a large set of traffic data (55000+ rows and 15 columns). Each row contains the data of one vehicle passing through a survey location. The columns include the time at which the vehicle passed the survey location, it's velocity, a property called headway etc... I would like to work out the average velocity and headway of the vehicles passing through the survey location for each hour (remembering that the number of vehicles and hence rows is different for every hour). Any ideas? P.S. Forgot to mention I am using Excel 2003... NRH - You can use the database fu...

CRecordset class giving Exception Query Timed Out With SQL Server if No Of Records are very large
Hey Friends I am creating a database application which is interacting with SQL Server. I am using CRecordset class for database interaction,the problem arises when the recordset is of very large no of records.I am using forward only recordset. I wish to know that if the recordset is of 10 lakh records and i fire a query which fetches all records then whether all the 10 lakh records will be fetched into my application or some better management is there by CRecordset ? bhatia, You may need to increase the query timeout value on the connection. Have a look at the CDatabase::SetQueryTimeout me...

cannot open url's in messages
hi, i think i installed a program that would not let you open ie with external programs. i have since deleted that program but still cannot open url links in any messages. when i go to file types and try to edit my hyper text transfer protocol it wont let me edit it. can anyone help? ...

PWA site not opening in MSPS 2010
Hi i have installed MSPS 2010 with MOSS 2010. The setup was sucessful and even Sharepoint configuration was sucessful and created a PWA site also. But i am facing an issue with the site as i am not able to open the site. Also, since when the PWA site is created, the IIS default website is also giving HTTP 500 error. I am getting this error whenever i am accessing the PWA site: "This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including: ?Internet connectivity has been lost. ?The website is temporarily unavailable. ?The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable. ?The Domai...

Trouble opening Word documents while reviewing toolbar shown
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When I use the reviewing toolbar in a document, Word is slower than usual. When I open two or more documents with the reviewing toolbar open is hard to switch from one documento to the other (I have to press the keys twice and sometimes I also have to clic on the document I want to see before it's actually &quot;active&quot;). <br><br>But the greatest trouble is when I have one document open with the reviewing bar and I want to open another one that I previously saved without the aforment...

Effects of Large mailboxes??
I have been running into some issues with bad performance of my new exchange server install. We migrated from Notes to exchange back in late April 2006. I have been getting the dreaded RPC pop up in the bottom corner in Outlook, and have noticed that my Processors are being maxed out constantly. I am running Server 2003 Enterprise, along with Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2. I noticed that i have many users that have mailboxes in excess of 1GB, and about 7 in excess of 2GB, 3 nearly 4GB. Could this be causing some of the problems that i am running into? The server hosts 103 mailboxes, ...

How to see files in .docx?
I have read that .docx has many files compressed like .zip files, but where are they? How to see them? Thanks You will have to change the file name extension from docx to zip. Then open the zip file. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Ghitorni" <padhye.m@gmail.com> wrote in message news:evrVaQIvKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have read that .docx has many files compressed like .zip files, but where >are they? How to see them? > Thanks > Or open docx directly using winrar -- <>>< ><<> ><<...

Publisher 2002 on Win98
Dear all, Situation: Upgrade of Publisher to 2002 on Windows 98 (to take advantage of compression etc). Save Publisher files (doesn't matter what format) on another machine which uses Windows XP with Publisher 2002. Note: the two machines are different operating systems only. Open files on Windows 98 with Publisher 2002. It takes a little while and then crashes asking me if I want to restart. The safe mode option doesn't help. The details are quite long (and I cannot select them anyway). But The main error message displays: AppName: mspub.exe AppVer: 10.0.4128.0 ModName:mso.d...

Opening other peoples mailbox
I have exchange 2000 and exchange 2003. When I move a mailbox to exchange 2003, I no longer can open that particulare mailbox in outlook. I am an administrator in exchage, and in exchage 2000, I could add a persons mailbox to my folder list and view all of their folders. The error I get in outlook is "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft office outlook could not access the specified folder location." I also have noticed when I go into E-mail accounts in outlook 2003, on the Advanced Tab under "open these additional mailboxes", the mailboxes on Exchange 200...

When Outlook 2003 Opens...Word Opens
Hi, Every time I open Outlook 2003 on my XP Pro machine it also opens Microsoft Word...and a tray icon says "outlook is synchronizing folders". How do I stop Word from launching? Thanks in advance, Paul Don't set Word as your e-mail editor in Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Paul Reed" <prreed@jacksonreed.com> wrote in message news:ugty1In9EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... &...

docx
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I read and read and just about confused as ever. I have word for mac v.X and trying to open a docx file. Now I have looked at your posts, go there and still lost. I will probably need someone to put a post where, if at all, can find a way to open these. help, billboy In article <59bb8b9d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, <billyboy@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have word for mac v.X and trying to open a >docx file. Now I have looked at your posts, go there and still lost. I >will probably need someone to put...

Excel
I have recently installed Win XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP1 on a brand new computer. The user is having problems when opening Excel -- it takes several minutes and slows down everything on the computer; Task Manager does not show info that the processor is locked up or memory usage is high. Originally the slow down occurred when opening documents and now it occurs when just opening the program. I have run the repair on Excel and the problem was resolved for about a week, but is occurring again. Any ideas as to how to resolve this problem? Have you checked the user's startup folders...

How to Run Macro in open workbook/s
I want to create procedure that running in open workbook or selecting sheet ? please show me how ? -- hni ------------------------------------------------------------------------ hni's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28451 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480530 Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() 'your code End Sub 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard 'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet ...

error opening excel file
hi! i cannot open this excel file, an microsoft visual basic window appear saying "An error occur while loading 'Sheet32111111111111111111111111'. Do you want to continue loading the project?" i click yes, microsoft window appear and asking if i want to update this workbook? then i click no a Program Error window appear saying " An error log is being created" what happen to the excel file? the excel file is only 2.6Mb JP, A couple of issues. First is the Sheet name. This is the 'real' name of the worksheet, not the one you see on the worksheet tab...

Large numbers of messages
I have problems when I'm away from my PC for a day or more. Today I have logged-on after 36 hours and have 300+ messages with attachments (photos) amounting to �100Mb+ I find that Outlook cannot cope with this and after about 150 messages gives uo and starts again. Hence I have numerous copies of the earlier messages but no way of accessing the latter ones. Any ideas? If I just want to delete eveything that's in my mailbox how do I do that as, without having completed the synchronisation, it remains there. Thanks. Increase your server timeout to at least 15 minutes. This...

XML not opening properly in EXCEL
Hello, I am having some trouble opening XML in Excel. I have a web program that will perform a query and export the results in XML format. I have some users on Office 2003 PRO and SBE, whenever a user opens the file in PRO, they get a dialog box that prompts them with three options, open as XML list, Open as Read only file, and one more. Once I see this I know the file will be formated properly with the headers on each column. Now when a person using SBE opens the same file they do not get the same dialog box, the file just opens and all the headers are messed up. If you need an e...