Cannot stop Open Office from being default program for .doc files

  • Follow

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

KC
0
Reply creevs 3/31/2010 8:47:01 PM

When you right-click one of the document icons are you just selecting Open
With form the shortcut menu? If so that's why it isn't 'sticking' � that
only serves for the current opening of that particular file.

Select one of the file icons, key Command+I, then change the Open With there
in the Get Info dialog. Be sure to then click the 'Change All' button. It
wouldn't hurt to also repair disk permissions after doing so.

Make sure Office 2004 is completely updated as well.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/31/10 4:47 PM, in article 59bb64c0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"creevs@officeformac.com" <creevs@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I
> recently installed Open Office 3.2 because my students occasionally submit
> assignments as .odt files which I cannot open with my version of Word.
>
> Now Open Office is the default program that opens every .doc and .docx file
> and I can't make it stop!
>
> I have tried checking the Properties for both .doc and .docx files, and while
> I can see that OpenOffice is the program type, I can't find a way to change
> it.
>
> I have control-click opened a few files as well, and re-chosen Word as the
> program to open with.  But the next time I open that *same* file, it opens in
> OpenOffice again.
>
> I would prefer not to have to install OpenOffice every time I get a .odt file,
> and then uninstall it when I'm finished, but I'm getting close!  And I
> anticipate that later versions of Word may have solved the .odt problem
> somehow, but an upgrade is not in the university budget for the foreseeable...
>
> Thanks.
> KC

1
Reply CyberTaz 3/31/2010 9:22:13 PM

0
Reply creevs 4/1/2010 12:42:21 PM

Glad it helped - If you repaired disk permissions it may resolve the icon
issue immediately or on a restart of the Mac.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/1/10 8:42 AM, in article 59bb64c0.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"creevs@officeformac.com" <creevs@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Great - I knew it was a problem that I was not getting the option to "Change
> All" but I couldn't find it.  Some file icons are still the OO icons, or just
> blank white squares, but they *do* open in Word.
>
> Thanks!
>
> KC

0
Reply CyberTaz 4/1/2010 4:29:35 PM