Cannot stop Open Office from being default program for .doc files

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

KC
0
creevs

When you right-click one of the document icons are you just selecting Open
With form the shortcut menu? If so that's why it isn't 'sticking' � that
only serves for the current opening of that particular file.

Select one of the file icons, key Command+I, then change the Open With there
in the Get Info dialog. Be sure to then click the 'Change All' button. It
wouldn't hurt to also repair disk permissions after doing so.

Make sure Office 2004 is completely updated as well.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/31/10 4:47 PM, in article 59bb64c0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"creevs@officeformac.com" <creevs@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I
> recently installed Open Office 3.2 because my students occasionally submit
> assignments as .odt files which I cannot open with my version of Word.
>
> Now Open Office is the default program that opens every .doc and .docx file
> and I can't make it stop!
>
> I have tried checking the Properties for both .doc and .docx files, and while
> I can see that OpenOffice is the program type, I can't find a way to change
> it.
>
> I have control-click opened a few files as well, and re-chosen Word as the
> program to open with.  But the next time I open that *same* file, it opens in
> OpenOffice again.
>
> I would prefer not to have to install OpenOffice every time I get a .odt file,
> and then uninstall it when I'm finished, but I'm getting close!  And I
> anticipate that later versions of Word may have solved the .odt problem
> somehow, but an upgrade is not in the university budget for the foreseeable...
>
> Thanks.
> KC

1
CyberTaz
3/31/2010 9:22:13 PM
0
creevs
4/1/2010 12:42:21 PM
Glad it helped - If you repaired disk permissions it may resolve the icon
issue immediately or on a restart of the Mac.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/1/10 8:42 AM, in article 59bb64c0.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"creevs@officeformac.com" <creevs@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Great - I knew it was a problem that I was not getting the option to "Change
> All" but I couldn't find it.  Some file icons are still the OO icons, or just
> blank white squares, but they *do* open in Word.
>
> Thanks!
>
> KC

0
CyberTaz

Opening JPG attachments
Lately I have been having problems opening attachments with jpg images. I have checked and double-checked my file associations and everything appears correct. When I attempt to open a jpg attachment, that box appears asking me if I want to open the attachment or save it to my hard disk. I don't remember that happening in the past. The jpg attachment would always open up in whatever photo program I had it defaulted to. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Cannot open attachments
I'm running Office 97 and when I try to open an excel attachment in Outlook I get the error message in Excel saying "The system cannot find the file specified" I ahve gone to the options and 'Ignore other applications' is ticked, I have ran the excel.exe /unregserver and /regserver command and reticked 'Ignore other applications', but still the same problem. Any ideas would be grateful. All I can suggest is you try saving the attachments first- it could b xl can't "see" the outlook file. If you want more help you might want to try the outlo...

Hyperlinks in outlook messages open with media player
Hi, Whenever i try to click a hyperlink from an email in outlook it tries to upen it with media player. Any help on how i can resolve this would be helpful. ...

stops responding

Excel opens with an error report whenever I Boot Up my computer
A couple of days ago, I noticed that whenever I boot up my computer, an error report comes up indicating that Excel needs to close because of error. I unistalled office and the message wnet away. But when I reinstalled Office, the message came right back. Thoughts? ...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

Named Range in a External File Formula
I have a simple VBA program that when run, looks at a date in a particular cell and updates 6 named ranges with specific file names it uses based off of that days date. I have a folder for every day of the week and inside there are 6 exactly named files: "Tech Name - Service Log - Date.xls" (Date is in mm-dd-yyyy format) The named ranges are "TechName1File, TechName2File, ect...." How do I make this work: After successfully running the macro to fill the named ranges, the named ranges will look like this: Named Range: TechName1File = \\Server\Folder\Folder\<Year>\...

Money 2005 SB can't open Money 2004 File
Hello all, I just upgrade Money 2004 to 2005, both Small Business version. I have 2 money files, one created in 2004 the other created in Money 98 and upgraded every year till 2004. The first one gets converted to 2005 without any problem. But the 2nd one can't be converted. Money 2005 said it is either locked or protected or corrupt. But it has no problem at all in 2004 I've tried to delete all accounts in this file but one to elimilate causes of problems but still have no luck. Can anybody help? I can even post this file here if the group accept bin upload. Thanks in advance Howard...

Windows mail cannot be opened...
Ok I too am getting the error of Windows mail cannot be opened, (out of memory/ disk full) click ok and the 2nd popup appears.... "Windows mail couldn't be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized..... Ok have read many of the posts, so let me say this before Gary puts in his usual "It's your Antivirus" comment.... I run NIS (Norton internet security) I do manual updates and haven't in the last 2 days/ I have not down loaded and MS updates (I do those manually as well) Nothing has changed on my PC, yet today I started getting the same err...

Cannot create link for object word doc. Link to file greyed out
I am trying to do the following in a calendar in Outlook 2007. Insert Object (inserting a linkable Word document into the Calendar) Create from File (I select the file and it shows its path on the network) Link to File is greyed out Does anyone know why the Link to File is greyed out. Thanks, Crazyhorse ...

default extension
I'm using Office Home and Student 2007 on a Vista Home Premium machine. I'm unable to change the default save extension from xlsx to xls. I can do it on an individual file by file basis but I would like to have the program always save the files to a default extension of xls. I've changed the setting in Excel Options and the setting "sticks" but the program continues to create and save as xlsx. I also have the same problem in Word. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance. Fitz, If you are using MS Office 2007, one of the most frustrating things for ...

Can I Re-open a historical year.
Is it possible to re-open a closed year. We closed 2005 this week and then closed 2006 also in error. Restoring the back up is not possible. Thanks CL You don't necessarily need to reopen it unless it's totally wrong. You can make entries to 2005 by enabling "Posting to History" via GL setup. The system will update the retained earnings balance for you. -- Charles Allen, MVP "CL" wrote: > Is it possible to re-open a closed year. > > We closed 2005 this week and then closed 2006 also in error. > Restoring the back up is not possible. > ...

recipient policy stopped working

when i open visio 2003 i need it to open a template
I have visio 2003, when i open the program can it be set to open a template automatically. Thanks in advance. TIDMAN..... You could change the shortcut that launches Visio to include the file. Visio.exe MyTemplate.vst -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "TIDMAN" <TIDMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBF28CEA-C239-4C5E-BE84-B1E830DC79DA@microsoft.com... >I have visio 2003, when i open the program can it be set to open a template > automatically. > > Tha...

Open Value Licensing
Hi, If CRM SBE edition is available under Open Value. I believe , yes , I wish to know the process of procuring CRM SBE licenses and payment stage. Thanks in advance. Regards, Nitin You need to contact a Microsoft partner who can purchase the licenses for you and make sure you get the right product. I happen to know of one that can help you ;) -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Nitin I" wrote: > > Hi, > > If CRM SBE edition is available under Open Value. I believe , yes , I wish > to know the process of procuring CRM SBE licenses and paymen...

Outlook 2003, can not open email messages after upgrade.
I have an XP Pro workstation with Office XP that I upgraded to Office 2003. When the upgrade was complete and Outlook is opened, none of the email messages will open when double clicked. Also nothing shows in the reading pane when you select a message. The error I receive suggests that Windows is out of memory and that I should close programs and then try again. The PC has 512MB of RAM and no other programs are open. This behavior occurs even if I uninstall Office XP first and then cleanly install 2003. Updating the installation with the latest patches does nothing to fix thi...

outlook 2007 freezing and won't open
two behaviors: 1. works fine for several hours then freezes and cannot send or receive email. 2. doesn't respond to my trying to open outlook from the icon, right click, or all programs. I get a .2 sec hourglass then nothing. no error messages on either behavior. HELP! I'm on an xp system. thanks for any ideas! hallie Reboot PC, start outlook using the safe switch; Start>Run......outlook.exe /safe (note space between exe /) See whether the problem is replicated, if not then one of your add - ins is likely acting up "hallie" <hallie@discuss...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Re: Opening Outlook also causes Word to open/Try these groups
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_059F_01C46BB7.6AB60F00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Tom-- Sorry. I know how frustrating these problems can be, and the longer = they persist the more determined most of us get to solve them. Try in = these 3 and though you aren't a new user there are word experts to help = in all three. You have no downside to running System File Checker by = putting "sfc /sannow" in your run box without quotes and having your CD = handy. It takes 30 ...

Converting Quatro Pro 5.0 file to Excell
Can this be done. If so, how. I would really like to preserve and use my quatro pro files in excell. Thanks. try the excel newsgroup... >-----Original Message----- >Can this be done. If so, how. I would really like to >preserve and use my quatro pro files in excell. Thanks. >. > ...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

out-of-office reply #2
Hi, With Exchange 2003, can I enable out-of-office reply without allowing users to auto forward mail? Regards, Norman Zhang Yes. You'll find a separate checkbox to enable Out of Office responses. Global Settings, Internet Message Format, Default properties, Advanced tab. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Norman Zhang" <norm_z@realbox.com> wrote in message news:uxS83URGFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > With Exchange 2003, can I enable out-of-office reply without allowing > users to auto forward mail? > > Regards, > Norman Zhang Ben Wi...