unable to paste data into Excel

  • Follow

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg, "unable to paste data into Excel."
0
Reply dbilluni 2/26/2010 5:19:43 PM

In article <59bb37ed.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
 dbilluni@officeformac.com wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Processor: Intel
>
> I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try
> to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg, &quot;unable to paste data into
> Excel.&quot;

OK,  what website and how are you copy/pasting?   Most likely what you
think is ascii numbers is in fact images or something.
Try saving the web page to disk as a text file and see what's in it.

--
Team EM to the rescue!    http://www.team-em.com
0

Carl Witthoft wrote:
> In article<59bb37ed.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
>   dbilluni@officeformac.com wrote:
>
>> Version: 2004
>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> Processor: Intel
>>
>> I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try
>> to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg,&quot;unable to paste data into
>> Excel.&quot;
>
> OK,  what website and how are you copy/pasting?   Most likely what you
> think is ascii numbers is in fact images or something.
> Try saving the web page to disk as a text file and see what's in it.

Taking what Carl said one step further, Excel can open those saved web
pages using File > Open.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

> In article , <br>
>  dbilluni@officeformac.com wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2004 <br>
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) <br>
> > Processor: Intel <br>
> > I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try  <br>
> > to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg, &quot;unable to paste data into  <br>
> > Excel.&quot; <br>
> OK,  what website and how are you copy/pasting?   Most likely what you  <br>
> think is ascii numbers is in fact images or something. <br>
> Try saving the web page to disk as a text file and see what's in it. <br>
> --  <br>
For example, here is a site I tried: <a href="http://www.sportfanatics.net/Fantasy/Projections/Fantasy_Baseball_Projections_C.htm">http://www.sportfanatics.net/Fantasy/Projections/Fantasy_Baseball_Projections_C.htm</a> -- They are statistics projections for Fantasy Baseball. I tried saving it as a text file and it was the right words and numbers but just all run together. But EUREKA!, I took a hint from your suggestion, copied the rows and columns from the Web Page, opened an Excel worksheet, then did a &quot;Paste Special,&quot; chose &quot;TEXT<&quot; and Voila!, it worked. YeeHa! I guess there is always a &quot;workaround&quot; for what you need to do. Thanks.
0
Reply dbilluni 2/27/2010 12:57:09 AM

(page loaded in 0.04 seconds)