unable to paste data into Excel

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg, "unable to paste data into Excel."
0
dbilluni

In article <59bb37ed.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
 dbilluni@officeformac.com wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Processor: Intel
>
> I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try
> to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg, &quot;unable to paste data into
> Excel.&quot;

OK,  what website and how are you copy/pasting?   Most likely what you
think is ascii numbers is in fact images or something.
Try saving the web page to disk as a text file and see what's in it.

--
Team EM to the rescue!    http://www.team-em.com
0
Carl Witthoft wrote:
> In article<59bb37ed.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
>   dbilluni@officeformac.com wrote:
>
>> Version: 2004
>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> Processor: Intel
>>
>> I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try
>> to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg,&quot;unable to paste data into
>> Excel.&quot;
>
> OK,  what website and how are you copy/pasting?   Most likely what you
> think is ascii numbers is in fact images or something.
> Try saving the web page to disk as a text file and see what's in it.

Taking what Carl said one step further, Excel can open those saved web
pages using File > Open.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
> In article , <br>
>  dbilluni@officeformac.com wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2004 <br>
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) <br>
> > Processor: Intel <br>
> > I like to use columns and rows of statistics from Web sites, but when I try  <br>
> > to copy and paste into Excel, I get the msg, &quot;unable to paste data into  <br>
> > Excel.&quot; <br>
> OK,  what website and how are you copy/pasting?   Most likely what you  <br>
> think is ascii numbers is in fact images or something. <br>
> Try saving the web page to disk as a text file and see what's in it. <br>
> --  <br>
For example, here is a site I tried: <a href="http://www.sportfanatics.net/Fantasy/Projections/Fantasy_Baseball_Projections_C.htm">http://www.sportfanatics.net/Fantasy/Projections/Fantasy_Baseball_Projections_C.htm</a> -- They are statistics projections for Fantasy Baseball. I tried saving it as a text file and it was the right words and numbers but just all run together. But EUREKA!, I took a hint from your suggestion, copied the rows and columns from the Web Page, opened an Excel worksheet, then did a &quot;Paste Special,&quot; chose &quot;TEXT<&quot; and Voila!, it worked. YeeHa! I guess there is always a &quot;workaround&quot; for what you need to do. Thanks.
0
dbilluni

How do I cut and paste using a macro....
Hello. I'm having trouble creating a macro that will let me cut postcodes from one cell and paste into another cell. I would appreciate if anybody can help me. What I have, is a large excel spreadsheet with a couple of thousand names and addresses. The address fields start in column B through to G. Each line of the address should be in a separate cell within each row, but the postcodes have all ended up in the same cell as the last line of the address. I need to cut the postcodes out of these cells and paste them into column H which is empty. The addresses are different lengths, leavi...

Word Wrapping in Excel
I am having trouble with Word Wrapping in Excel. It does not adjust th row height properly. I have tried Format, Rows, AutoFit and it stil doesn't work. Help, pleas -- Mandy1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mandy11's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1300 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27632 Hi do you experience this with merged cells. If yes->nothing you can really do about this without using vBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mandy11 wrote: > I...

Excel in Office for Mac 2008 features
I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10 minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one. In article <ee8a70d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Foosh@officeformac.com wrote: > I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save > feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back th...

Office 2007 Excel
Every time i open Excel 2007 i get the following; "The file you are trying to open,'PDFMaker.OLDxla',is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?" I pressed CTRL+Shift+I and receive the folowing id 101786 however I could not find anything relating to the above. As a note you have to press NO two times before you can get into excel. Hope I got this in the correct discution group. If you're not using the pdfmaker.* addin, how...

Horizontal line chart
Hi, I have prepared a bundle of column that has one XY scatter plot serie It works great, updates with VBA, no problem. Now I was asked to add one additional point in each serie to the char with some calculations. Although looked to be be very easy job, it' not, as the file get corrupted while modyfing the data source for thi chart using the MS chart interface. I've tried to put the modificatio into the command line and it works for the chart. Unfortunately it doe not record while macro recoding ('Macro recording not possible' error that is essential to update automatically t...

Unable to open calendar

Excel
1. Look at a worksheet ; the range A1:A10 is filled with text data. 2. Enter into cell C1, = Countif(A1:A10,"<="&A1:A10) ; it works. 3. Then, the range B1:B10 is filled with text data. 4. Enter into cell C2, = Countif(A1:A10&B1:B10,"<="&A1:A10&B1:B10) ; it does not work. 5. Please offer an explanation that it does work and then it does not work. 6. Regards. I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what you're trying to do... =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"<="&A1:A10) is functionally equivalent to =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"...

Need to read PAR PORT data bits URGENT
I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet. I need to read the input data on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to them.. ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious? Thanks again all. Nappy First, using the parallel port for anything is intrinsically dangerous. The standard parallel port driver does not support reading from it. (Besides, modern machines don't have parallel ports). You wil...

Multiplying in Excel
Why does excel and my calculator come up with different answer when multiplying numbers with decimal points? Excel seems to be off by a couple hundreths of a point. On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:53:03 -0800, "albebach" <albebach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why does excel and my calculator come up with different answer when >multiplying numbers with decimal points? Excel seems to be off by a couple >hundreths of a point. Hard to tell why you get the results you do when you post so little information. The most likely answers have to do either with you not realiz...

Drop down menu for a cells data
How do I populate 1 cell, say cell F45, with 25 SKU's with descriptions. Then, go back to cell F45, click on the down arrow to show all 25 SKUs, select one of them by clicking it, and ONLY show that SKU with description in cell F45? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html and use VLOOKUP for getting the description >-----Original Message----- >How do I populate 1 cell, say cell F45, with 25 SKU's >with descriptions. Then, go back to cell F45, click on >the down arrow to show all 25 SKUs, select one of them by >clicking it, and ONLY show that SKU w...

Prevent information copied in one Excel window to be pasted in another windows
Hello. Since Excel is not multicore aware, I am forced to have two different windows running Excel, ie, i start Excel in one window and start another session of Excel in another window, not in the same window by doing file\new). But since I am running macros in each, and because my macro copy and paste information, sometime the windows interfere ith each other which prevent one of the macro from running. Is there a way to make Excel not able to paste in another window? Thanks for the tip. ...

in excel formula the comma (,) is no longer accepted but the semi.
when entering formula in Excel the comma (,) is no longer accepted but the semicolon (;) now has to be used. Example: Previous : =if(a2="Yes",a3+a4,b3+b4) Now : =if(a2="Yes";a3+a4;b3+b4) How do I change it back to using commas. I don't know how this has happened, I just arrived at work one day and the changes has occured. Not a 100% sure how well XL honors them, but check your Windows 'Regional Settings.' -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <5...

Clear down data
Hi, We recently created a couple of new companies for one of our companies (V9). Set up the databases and then restored of their other companies into them to get all the static data set-up. Stepped through the procedures from Partnersource re clearing out the transactional data (Article 873857). However there would appear to be still values/history against the tax details - did we miss a step from the document or is there something additional that needs to be done? No aware of having to do this before. Thanks Jean -- JB Tax history is stored in the Tax Amount History table (TX30000) i...

unable to scroll the page

How do I convert Supercalc to Excel
I have data on disks that are in SuperCalc that I would like to convert to Excel, but I don't know how to do that. Excel can't open SuperCalc files. You'd have to get a copy of SuperCalc and save the files from there in to a format that Excel can read (e.g., text, CSV, SYLK, etc). -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Bean Counter" <Bean Counter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30443F32-B3D7-4996-9CAC-608C0F573D9C@microsoft.com... >I have data on disks that are in SuperCalc th...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Populating Excel from CSV
Hello all, I need to know how to populate an Excel template with data from a external CSV file. Let's say I have this nice pretty colourful templat that is far more pleasing to the eye than the usual chunk of importe CSV data, what are some methods to populate it with data from a CS file?? Any ideas or suggestions or redirections would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance : -- AJMorgan59 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777 View this thread: http://www.ex...

Typed Data Set and relations
I've a fairly complex schema which I'm trying to create a typed data set for. I've had a number of issues to date but it is sort of working (e.g. elements are not considered nullable unless minOccurs="0" is present. If not the codegen:nullValue attribute is ignored). What I'm seeing at the moment is that if I do NOT add in key and key ref relations, the cs generated puts in sensibly named relations with appropriate accessors. But they don't work. If I put in explicit key refs I get pairs of relations defined for each 'real' relation. The ones added c...

Unable to conect

Plotting data in Excel #2
Is it possible to generate a cell range mathmatically using formulas and "Concatenate" in one reference cell, and then use the contents of the cell to define the data range for an X-Y plot? In other words, instead of manually selecting the data range to be plotted using a pick box, I want the reference the contents of a cell that has computed the data range. Thanks -- James ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

How do I validate data using different lists based on the data in.
How do I validate data using different lists based on the data in another cell? There are instructions here for dependent data validation lists: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html Shannon wrote: > How do I validate data using different lists based on the data in another cell? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...