Powerpoint icon for .xls files?

Follow
Email
Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I recently did a clean install of Office 08, including all updates.  <br>
Funny thing (well, not really) is that all my excel files (.xls) now have a powerpoint icon. Powerpoint files also, as it should be. Word files (.doc) show up ok. <br>
Any ideas how to solve this? I already changed the default application for .xls to neooffice and then back to excel but again got the poerpoint icons...
1
Reply Mr 5/31/2010 5:02:18 PM

0
Reply pjonesCET 5/31/2010 5:31:04 PM
Just tried this, but alas, powerpoint icon remains for the xls files (when I set neooffice as default app I see the neooffice icons, when I set excel I see the powerpoint icons).
0
Reply Mr 5/31/2010 7:43:23 PM
Yeah, software of that ilk often impose their own 'generic' identity which
doesn't convert back to what it should actually be. This "may" work...

Try opening one of the files from within Excel [using File> Open], use Save
As to resave the file as 'Excel Workbook (.xlsx)' then close the file. In
Finder, select the file then Command+I, re-specify 'Open With:' as
'Microsoft Excel.app (12.2.4)' , click the 'Change All' button & confirm
'Continue' when prompted.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/31/10 3:43 PM, in article 59bb934a.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mr.Cool@officeformac.com" <Mr.Cool@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Just tried this, but alas, powerpoint icon remains for the xls files (when I
> set neooffice as default app I see the neooffice icons, when I set excel I see
> the powerpoint icons).

0
Reply CyberTaz 5/31/2010 8:19:48 PM
Did you do on more than one file?

Try repairing Permissions using Disk Utility.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

File not found
Hi all, I have a workbook with some formula references to another workbook. All works fine except that on opening the first workbook, a "file not found" box opens trying to find a file that has not been referenced in either workbook. If I click Cancel, another "File not found" box opens looking for the "Invoice 1" file. Yet again there is no reference to this in either workbook. I have Used the Find function to see if there are any references at all in all the sheets whether in formula, value or comment and can find none. (I do not select Match case nor Find enti...

Can a Junk Email icon be added to the toolbar?
Hi all I hope this is the right place to ask my question! I'm using MS Outlook 2003. With the ever increasing volumes of spam emails I receive I find I'm frequently having to 'right click' spam emails then select 'Junk email' followed by 'Add sender to Blocked senders list' This I find rather tedious and long-winded. Is there a way of adding an 'Add sender to .......' icon or icons to the toolbar? Regards John On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:31:41 +0100, JNC <john@datasafe.org.uk> wrote: > >I'm using MS Outlook 2003. With the ever increasi...

quicken file conversion?
how can i convert the data for two mutual funds from quicken to money 2003. i don't want to convert all old data of every acct in quicken 2003. any ideas welcomed ...

Converting Powerpoint slides with audio into a movie
Hi there, I am using a PC. Can anyone please tell how I can convert Microsoft PowerPoint slides w/audio (PPT) into video files with audio. Has anyone been successful using QuickTime? Can you suggest a good program to use to complete the version. Thank you. These links should get you started: Convert presentations into Movie files http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00057.htm Convert presentations to VHS or DVD video http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00156.htm Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "consultant"...

Archive pst files on CD/DVD
Greetings: Is it possible to use a CD or DVD for storing archive .pst files and be able to use them for 'viewing' old archives? Obviously you can burn the .pst file to the media, but can you store several of them on a DVD and be able to open them in Outlook (2003) and read the archived emails, etc.? Please advise. Thanks! The media that you store the pst must be capable of allowing read/write access if you want to "access" them, traditionally CD drives are read access only but they maybe some drives available that offer both "Neil" <ncarter@amplatzer.co...

How to import pst file into Outlook 2010 Beta?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01CACEAB.EAA1EB50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Applies to Outlook 2010 Beta Hi everyone, I downloaded and installed the beta release yesterday of Office 2010 and = I'm trying to import a PST file created with Outlook 2007 but I cannot = find the import/export feature in the ribbon anywhere. I've searched for help online and on YouTube but so far haven't found = anything, can anyone tell me where this feature is located pl...

Excel is not asking to save a changed file when the file is closed
When I close Excel (Office 2003) I am not prompted to save a file that has been changed. This was working; however, something has changed in the last couple of months. I thought there might be a setting somewhere, but I am unable to see anything. Is it just one file doing this? Is the file a read-only file?Open a new blank file and enter something and close it and see what happens. HTH Otto "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4A65B16-5A7B-480D-80FB-0B11471BCB47@microsoft.com... > When I close Excel (Office 2003) I am not prompted to save a...

Displaying Window Icons in Listbox.
i want to display local files and directories in a list box in my program. i am able to retrieve tht but i want to display respective icons against the file name. File extensions can be retrieved using GetExtension in mfc. i want to display the icons using Windows, NOT create my own bitmaps. kindly suggest how to go about it. Send this message WM_GETICON,Use SendMessageTimeout <nemesia31@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161063177.331791.48490@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >i want to display local files and directories in a list box in my > program. i am able to retrieve tht b...

PowerPoint and InkOverlay
Hi All, I would like to chanege the line thickness and cursor size of for example felt tip pen. Is it possible to do this? Or if not, is it possible to program this? I've read that powerpoint uses InkOverlay object or such, but I cannot find any properties which bind it's address. Can I fetch current InkOverlay during automation while in slideshow? I've read somewhere that if there are no such properties I wont be able to find it even through a handler. Anyone happens to know if and where can I find property for InkOverlay, InkCollector etc, or if I can fetch these t...

Writing XML file from dataset without DS name
I have an XML file from a client that I generated a schema from. I Open a DataSet and read the schema to get the tables and relationships. I write my tables and fields and assign parent rows etc. When I write the data, the output file has a new wrapper element with the name of dataset. Is there a way to write the XML from the dataset without this wrapper? I also need to provide the encoding attribute like the input file. Example input XML <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <Customer Name="XXX" Trigram="XXX"> <InputFil...

Worksheet Error .xls]
When I try to rename a worksheet, whatever name I type in, excel rename it with a prefix of .xls] For example if I name a sheet newyork i will rename the sheet .xls]newyork Then, if I try to change the name, to get rid of the prefix (.xls]) i gives me an error message saying I have too many characters in nam (over 31) or I'm using special characters in name (neither of which ar true??) Any suggestions on why this is happening and how I can correct thi problem? thanks, steve: -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sbernste, To get a file name with no extension, there was...

.pst file #8
I would like to put my .pst file on a home computer incase something happens to my lap top. i have tried to do this but when i try and import the pst to outlook it says that it is a read only file and will not let me import. is there a way to change the file from a read only so i can import?? thanks There are two things that come to mind when you mention read only. One is that you don't have write access to the location that the .pst is stored in. This most likely isn't the case. If you copied the file from a CD to your home computer, it is often made read only. You can ...

Is possible to upload file to OfficeLive via Code (VBA)
Is it possible to upload a file to Office Live via Code, like VBA -- WoodyS ...

change slide direction (right to left) in powerpoint
I want to change the slides direction in my powerpoint file from left to right (English) to right to left (Arabic). Not just the direction of the text, but the whole slide. How can I do that? Please help! What do you mean by 'the whole slide'? Surely only text is significant? Or am I having a blonde moment? For general info on using right-to-left languages in Office see here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA103510211033.aspx Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "bayan" <bayan@discussion...

Multiple Excel Charts to PowerPoint 2
I am following on from an older post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/msg/a96af87f70b6657f? I have used Jon Peltier's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html#chartppt to try and create a macro that will open a new PPT, copy all th echartsheets and paste as bitmap (to stop people falsifying charts!) one to a ppt slide. My problems are: 1) The macro only seems to work if PPT is already running (despite using Jon's code for creating a New PPT object) 2) The bitmap solution is ok when on screen but I get people asking if their eyes are playing tricks...

Lost Icons 03-11-10
Does anyone know what causes Windows XP to says it's creating a new user profile and wipes out all icons. This happens periodically to computers on our district and we have been unable to figure out why? Any help is appreciated. District - ? Do you mean a Domain based network ( Sever handles the login and policy control ). Generally when a new profile is created it is an inability to open and use the pre-existing User Hive. (NTUser.Dat). Corruption can happen in a number of ways. If the network is domain based and this happens on a number of client computers the issue may ...

Can't drag and drop an Excel file from Windows Explorer to new mail message
Hi, Is there some setting preventing me from using drag and drop from Windows Vista Explorer to quickly attach files I want to send with emails? When I try to drag frrom the Explorer window onto the open email I get the circle with a diagonal line through it showing it is not allowed. Thanks in advance, Nigel Nigel Freeney <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote: > Is there some setting preventing me from using drag and drop from > Windows Vista Explorer to quickly attach files I want to send with > emails? > When I try to drag frrom the Explorer window onto the op...

Cannot view .png image file in IE 6
We are accessing a website that uses .png image. The image is blank only the image placeholder is visible. When I right mouse click on the image to show image still nothing happen. I read in some article that IE 6 SP1 should have fixed this problem but I'm currently on IE6 sp3. Hi Johnny K, There are different types of png file formats. If you could tell us the site we could tell you if they are using a type that IE6 renders properly. It is up to the site designers to ensure their sites work in different browsers. Here are some test pages for png support in browsers. h...

Problem saving excel file
I have an Excel file which I can't save to the server nor local har drive. When I open it and make a change and click on *-save as or sav -*a dialog box appears and says*- file not saved-*. Even if I don' make a change and just click on save it says the same thing. No specia security settings are attached to the file. Anyway if someone can hel that would be great, Thanks -- bsimo4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bsimo49's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3702 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

How do I make the email icon work in excel and word 2007?
I click on the email icon on but nothing happen. How can I fix this. "Oiram Norim" <Oiram Norim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B216886-14CE-489B-BF4C-FD0A518BA029@microsoft.com... >I click on the email icon on but nothing happen. How can I fix this. Do you have an Email Client installed and configured with an Email Account? You can try this Close Excel first and check out if Outlook or Outlook Express/Windows Mail is your mail program for Office. Start>Settings>Control Panel....Internet options (Program Tab) In Vista : Start>Default pro...

Linked files
My manager received a Word 2007 document with icons at the bottom to open PDF files. For him they do not open, but open for me and the person who sent to him. We are mapped to the same servers, so it is not a mappining issue. Is there a setting somewhere in Word 2007 that would prevent opening linked files? Thanks Kelli If the links are hyperlinks, your manager may have to hold Ctrl as he clicks them. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1F4AB58-C73E-4CA2-B24...

PowerPoint 2007 11-25-09
I created a lengthy complex presentation in PowerPoint 2007 using a stock background. After creating it and showing it to the company, the Execs want me to change the background to the company standard. The problem is, they only have a basic blank PowerPoint presentation that everyone uses to build from. How do I get the background elements from the standard presentation into main without redoing all 45 slides? Thanks! Use the master slides "Tracy Walters" <Tracy Walters@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 01FDE97C-00B1-4056-9573-060D7...

Back up copies of Files in My Documents in Word 2003
Every time I try to delete back up copies in "Open" in My Documents, it creates another copy. I am up to 166 copies of unwanted files. They are not shown in the pull-down of Word Documents only, but in All Files. -- Carole Campbell You are probably inadvertently dragging and dropping them in the same window. Drag and drop them in the Recycle Bin or simply press the delete key. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Wo...

Exporting .xls sheet
Hi, is there a code or can someone point me in the right direction? i have a workbook with invoices and i need it to do the following: 1. press a button and it will copy a template and place it at the end of all other sheets naming it in invoice numerical order ( 1234,1235,1236 etc) 2. create a link to a front page to transfer basic information ( i can do this ) 3. export the active sheet to be an independent sheet on its own in a specific location like ( s:\invoicing\yearly invoices\month ) i have a folder in this location with sub folders ranging from April to September 06 I am ok with...

What is fastv5.xls?
What is fastv5.xls? Is this a program or a template of excel The .XLS extension means it should be an Excel workbook. *.XLT would be a Template Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:01:02 -0800, "What is fastv5.xls?" <What is fastv5.xls?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What is fastv5.xls? Is this a program or a template of excel ...