function to randomly insert text from a given list

  • Follow

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

0
Reply creevs 12/3/2009 8:44:48 PM

creevs@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel
> Is there a function in Excel for text, similar to the RANDBETWEEN
> function for numbers?
>
> I have a list of names, and I want to make 40 new lists of the same
> names, with each list in a randomly assorted order.
>
> Short of assigning each name a number, then randomizing the numbers, and
> then translating it back to the names, can this be done in a single step?
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Well, instead of using something similar, why not use RANDBETWEEN?

In order to use RANDBETWEEN you have to turn on the Analysis Toolpak. To
do this:
1. Open a blank workbook
2. On the Tools menu choose Add-ins
3. Click the checkboxes next to Analysis Toolpak
4. Click OK to close the dialog box

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

In article <59bae151.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
 creevs@officeformac.com wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Intel
>
> Is there a function in Excel for text, similar to the RANDBETWEEN function
> for numbers?   <br><br>I have a list of names, and I want to make 40 new
> lists of the same names, with each list in a randomly assorted order.
> and then translating it back to the names, can this be done in a single step?

Take a look here (replacing integers in the second method with your list
of names:

   http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/randint.html
0
Reply JE 12/12/2009 6:31:09 PM