function to randomly insert text from a given list

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

0
creevs

creevs@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel
> Is there a function in Excel for text, similar to the RANDBETWEEN
> function for numbers?
>
> I have a list of names, and I want to make 40 new lists of the same
> names, with each list in a randomly assorted order.
>
> Short of assigning each name a number, then randomizing the numbers, and
> then translating it back to the names, can this be done in a single step?
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Well, instead of using something similar, why not use RANDBETWEEN?

In order to use RANDBETWEEN you have to turn on the Analysis Toolpak. To
do this:
1. Open a blank workbook
2. On the Tools menu choose Add-ins
3. Click the checkboxes next to Analysis Toolpak
4. Click OK to close the dialog box

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
 creevs@officeformac.com wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Intel
>
> Is there a function in Excel for text, similar to the RANDBETWEEN function
> for numbers?   <br><br>I have a list of names, and I want to make 40 new
> lists of the same names, with each list in a randomly assorted order.
> and then translating it back to the names, can this be done in a single step?

Take a look here (replacing integers in the second method with your list
of names:

   http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/randint.html
0
JE

Copying Text to Clip Board Using a Macro
Hi, is it possible to store text e.g. a standard script which I constantly use within the code of a macro ? The macro would be assigned to a button and when the button is �clicked on� it would copy this text to the clip board which will then allow me to paste it into another application. Currently this text is stored in a cell and I reference this cell and copy to clip board this way, buy I want to get away from storing text this way. Any help would be grateful appreciates Many thanks Rob -- robertguy 44 Married two kids ------------------------------------------------------------...

Converting Text to an external cell ref.
Hi, I'm, trying to put together an external cell reference in my worksheet. I can join together text that looks like the File Path / Work Sheet / Cell reference, but I can't figure out how to turn this string of text into a file path etc. and pick up the data I want. I get this strange feeling I'm being a complete idiot asking this can't see the wood for the trees, but I need help. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi normally you can use INDIRECT for this. E.g. =INDIRECT("'[Book1.xls]Sheet1'!A1") which gets the value from cell A1, sheet...

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

Returning a range from an inner function
I have a range of data, which has had the DOLLAR() function performed on it. I would like to get the total of this range using the SUM() function. doing SUM(F1:F4) will not work, so I need to convert the data into values that will work. The VALUE() function is perfect for converting the data into values that will work for SUM(), but the formula SUM(VALUE(F1:F4)) does not work because VALUE() will not accept a range as a parameter (and also does not return a range). I need to perform the VALUE() function on each cell before submitting it to SUM(). There must be some way to do this, cons...

JustifyString function problem
Hi, I'm using the "JustifyString" function (from Stephan Lebans) to right justify three columns in a ListBox. Two of them are working fine ... one's a simple number (long integer) and the other's currency. The third causes an Access 2003 crash! That third column is a long integer which is a link to the autonumber field in another table. Both tables are in the query as I need columns from both tables in the ListBox. If I change the JustifyString to reference the autonumber field in the other table, I still get an Access crash. I didn't review the Access er...

embed a table so when text is edited it moves too
I am working on an IBM with Publisher 2003. I autoflow the text within the text block and want to embed charts/tables within the text block so when the text is edited the table move with it. I tried embedding the table but that embeds it into the document NOT the text block. Thanks in advance for your help. Word is more suitable for what you are trying to do. Publisher is a page layout application. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Miss P" <Miss P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:170...

excel inserted in word document
cannot edit excel worksheet inserted in word document when reopening word... ...

Returning a CHAR[] from a function
I have the following function that returns the path of where the program was run from. However I cant seem to return the butter as a CHAR. The code works if I use it in a procedure but not where I need to return the variable CHAR buffer. char CAutoRunDlg::GetProgramPath(void) { char buffer[_MAX_PATH]; //declares maimum path //opens window maximized //_getcwd(,)gets the current working directory // #include <direct.h> //needed for current working directory /* Get the current working directory: */ if( _getcwd( buffer, _MAX_PATH ) == NULL ) perror( "_getcwd error" )...

automating functions
I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and automatically assign a new case to the least busy CSR. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim Please tell me what I would have to do and with what tools in order to create such a workflow process. "jmb" wrote: > I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for > example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and > automatically assign a new case to the lea...

Export text to TextBox into Excel
Good Afternoon, Access 2003 I developed a module to open an excel file and then I would like export a text from a form to textbox into excel. My example works fine the len string is <255 characters. If is > add nothing into text box. Function ExportTextToExcel() Dim xlApp As Excel.Application Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook Dim strText As String Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\BLK2DB\AllocSystSQL\Temp\NET Statistics_2007.xls", , True) Set xlBook = GetObject("C:\Test.xls&q...

Turning Off Error Reporting using API Functions and VB
We want to automatically turn off the error reporting options using Windows API functions for the following functions area Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, the Advanced tab and Error Reporting (at the bottom of the screen), which launches the Error Reporting screen. Another way to get to that screen: Open My Computer, right-click on Properties, click on Advanced tab and Error Reporting. Any assistance would be welcome. It's not a program's call. It's the user's decision. --=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --...

Complex functions
Hi All, Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a condition, then you will/can have something like: =if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function) It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin. Is there a way to 'name' a function? =If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function) With kind regards, JP Yes you can put a formula into an Excel Name (the same as you can give a range an Excel Name. Very powerful it can be too. Do a Google fo...

copy formatted text
When copying text from Word that contains an if/then argument, as well as mail merge fields, all formatting is lost. Paste special does not appear to work for this, either. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Pub 2003, Word 2000, and Win XP. Thanks, JR Percy Cousins wrote: > When copying text from Word that contains an if/then argument, as well as > mail merge fields, all formatting is lost. Paste special does not appear to > work for this, either. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Pub 2003, Word 2000, > and Win XP. This is not supported in Publisher. -- Brian Kv...

Only highlighted text included in reply or forward
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange How do I disable that &quot;feature?&quot; On 5/24/10 10:36 AM, in article 59bb8eb9.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "MacRocks@officeformac.com" <MacRocks@officeformac.com> wrote: > Exchange How do I disable that "feature?" In Entourage preferences under Entourage in the Menu bar, you need to set your reply and set plain text or HTML. Thes link will help you make the correct choices. Switch my reply/signature placement in a message: <htt...

Credit card on bill list
Hi, I pay off my credit card entire balance each billing period. But I don't know how to manage credit card bills. Why credit card bills don't appears in Bills List?. What if the best form to manage credit card payments on Money? I setup one credit card account, it is setup correctly... thanks... You should set up to pay your credit card bill by a transfer from your checking account to the credit card account. The transfer will show up in the bills list. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny U...

Match Function
Hi, I have put together a spreadsheet to find codes, states, descriptions. It finds the data by dates. Columns are: Dates, Codes, States, Descriptions If I put in a date it matches the code, state and description. My problem is that if I have 2 dates that are the same it will only match the first date it can find. What kind of formula do I need so that it will output the second or third date data. Thanks for your help. If you need a copy of the spreadsheet please let me know. How many rows of data do you have? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Melanie" <Melanie@discussio...

convert text into date
can any one help me i have data in excel like 436,or 1851 i wanted to convert this text format into time and date format so actully i wanted it to be as 4:36 AM or 18:51 PM, I found one solution if you manually put ":" between "4" and "36" then format cell as time, this will work but i have a lot of data, is there any formula to put ":" between charactors thanx shabbir Hi in adjancent cell try the following formula =TIME(LEFT(A1,1+(LEN(A1)=4)),RIGHT(A1,2),0) and format this cell as time -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "arshab1&qu...

Is there a full list of messageclasses for Outlook items?
I am writing a peice of code in c# which loads a msg file and depending on its messageclass I load it into the appropriate Outlook item and perform some operations (like SaveAs) on it. Is there a full list of message classes that I can refer to? This is what I have at the moment and I would like to get a full List of messageclasses for completeness: switch (messageClass) { case "IPM.Appointment": //AppointmentItem { AppointmentItem myAppointment = (AppointmentItem)oMailItem; myAppointment.SaveAs(strTxtFilename, MailFileType); myAppointment = null; break; } case "IPM.Co...

Insert table ?
How can I sort a list of 200 numbers and print on 1 page. I can't find anywhere how to make a table with 3 or 4 columns that will sort all at once and that I can print on a 1/4 page. Look here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Martin Knight" <swenkal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:KWxnh.556595$5R2.412055@pd7urf3no... | How can I sort a list of 200 numbers and print on 1 page. I can't find | anywhere how to make a table with 3 or 4 columns that will sort all at once | and that...

Concatenate text from columns
How can I concatenate text in colB? ColA has 2 markers C and * Whenever C is followed by * I need to unite the text fields in ColB So, for the data below I want ColA ColB C Text1 Text1a C Text2 Text2a Text2b Text2c ColA ColB C Text1 * Text1a cont'd C Text2 * Text2a cont'd * Text2b cont'd * Text2c cont'd C Text3 Hope this makes sense! Thbe easy method is to use a fromula in the worksheet. Something like this in cell C1 =if(A2="*",B1&B2,"") Then copy formula down column C Next Copy colum...

sending E-mail to a list
Is there a way to send an E-mail, based on a list, to each individual on the list, but have the E-mail look like they are the only person receiveing the E-mail? This is my first time using this group, so if you have already discussed this then just send me to the right source. Thanks for your help. Ann Hi! 1). Send Personally add-in ( http://www.mapilab.com ) - but you'll haven't many options to personalize body of the message. 2). Office mail merge -- you'll meet another problems (like no possibility to attach file to your email), but our Mail Merge Toolkit ( http://www...

If Function Function
okay. So I am trying to workout a formula to compute a commision earning. Basically, if X amount of new business is made, then X*Y (corresponding Commision rate percentage), but if new business =<X, then X*Y (Commision rate percentage that is true). Problem is, it's super confusing...anyone have any suggestions? See if this helps: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "aetejada" <aetejada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4E55F7-9435-4BB6-837A-416A59BB72A0@microsoft.com... > okay. So I am...

Dont have secondary axis option listed in Series Option
I am trying to creat a seconday axis. In Excel 2007 from the Series Options tab on the Format Data Series prompt, I only have the following options: Gap depth and Gap width instead of primary and secondary axis. What am I doing wrong or how do I get these options Please look at:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ Item number 26. What follows is said in reference to the above file (called secondary_axis). Take the following action in EXCEL 2007:- - click somewhere in one of the blue columns (on chart itself) - this will place blue circles around those columns - ...

Outlook 2002 Change Password function
I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but it does noet seem to work. Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 Important: Outlook client is not member of the domain... There are not many Microsoft Articles about this. Anyone? -- Regards, Menko den Ouden Netherlands Menko den Ouden schreef in deze nieuwsgroep op 23-6-2005 15:28: > I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but > it does noet seem to work. > > Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 > ...

Funny characters in text
Hi I use the following code to insert lines of address text into an excel sheet. Dim MyXL As Object Set MyXL = GetObject("C:\My Spreadsheet.xls") MyXL.WorkSheets("Sheet1").Range("C7").Value = Me.Client & vbCrLf & Me.[Client Address] The problem is that on a client's pc the address shows funny boxes in spreadsheet between address lines, I presume these are CRLF characters. However on my PC I don't see them. Even when they send me a spreadsheet which I can see by remotely login in has boxes, does not show boxes at my end. What is the probl...