Conditional formatting by number of characters in cell

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

5/24/2010 10:48:40 AM 1146 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> I'm entering text into a cell and I simply want the colour of that text to change to red when I exceed 255 characters. <br>
> How do I do this? Using &quot;Cell Value Is&quot;, or &quot;Formula Is&quot;? <br>
5/24/2010 12:14:59 PM
Well done!  You had me thinking there for a minute :-)

On 24/05/10 10:14 PM, in article 59bb8e86.0@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"" <> wrote:

>> I'm entering text into a cell and I simply want the colour of that text to
>> change to red when I exceed 255 characters.
>> How do I do this? Using "Cell Value Is", or "Formula Is"?
> After a lot of trial and error... to answer my own question, it should be
> conditioned as "Formula Is", with the formula:
> =LEN(A1)>255
> Job done!
> :�)

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 |

Cells formatted for general and text show scientific format
I am working on an shipping confirmation upload. The workbook is downloaded from When I enter the Order Item ID number which is 14 characters, it displays in scientific format. I have tried general, number and text formats. Number format works if there is no leading zero but general and text do not. - Are you formatting the column for Order Item ID number before entering the data? That should solve the problem. - If you are formatting after entering the data, selecting F2 (Edit) in a cell will then put that cell into the correct text format (except for leedi...

Format column
Hello for everyone, I would be gratefull for help in my problem. I have column with 645 boxes, in every box is insert value - ex:1,34; 1,59; 10,50 Is it possible to change automatically values at very box at this column for +100% Please for help Chris Hi try the following: - enter '2' in an empty cell - copy this cell - select your values - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "h2o" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cdmer9$fo$ > Hello for everyone, > I...

Conditional Value
Column A = Job Status Column B = Date Completed What I would like to have is if Column A = Done and Column B has no value, I need to have a warning or a pop up of some kind stating that Column B needs to have a date value when column A = Done. Thank you in advance. in a separate column? =IF(A2="Done",IF(B2="","Date required",""),"") -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Michael S." <> wrote in message news:BF4DD94D-F029-4F4A-A614-86F898E447E9@microsoft....

Conditional marker on subform?
I want to show an image if the record in the continuous subform is meets a certain condition. When the records are shown on the Single Form there is not a problem. But when shown in a continuous subform if the first record meets the criteria all of the other records whether they meet the criteria or not shows the image. If the first record does not meet the criteria and other records do the image does not display. I tried adding a field and inserting an attachment and as an OLE object but this did not work and I could not update this field programmatically. Besides I would ...

How do I number sequentially omiting the headings in excel?
Hi, I know I can number sequentially by just entering 1 in the first row and hitting ctrl+draging it down. But what if there are headings inbetween that I want to omit. Alos I want it to automatically update if i delete a row or add one. Thanks Arthi Post a small example of your layout. Where are the headings located where you wish to omit numbers. Do you want the numbers to pick up where they left off above the headings? Like 1, 2, 3, 4 heading, heading, 5, 6, 7 Or 1, 2, 3, 4, heading, heading, 7, 8, 9 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:10:01 -...

Restrict Number of Columns
How do i restrict my worksheet to 20 rows & 20 columns. On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:20:01 -0800, xxx <> wrote: >How do i restrict my worksheet to 20 rows & 20 columns. Hide the rows and columns that you don't want to see. Hope this helps / Lars-�ke Hide those you don't want to look at. Or set the scrollarea via VBA Since the scrollarea method does not stick between sessions you will have to reset it each time you open the workbook. You may wish to place the code into a WorkBook_Open Sub in ThisWorkbook module and specify...

Conditional formating condition..?
Hi All I have 2 CF conditions associated with a cell (C14), one of which is: Formula is =OR($C$4="Fred SOMEBODY",C14<>"10:30:00") What happens when this is true isn't important/relevant. The value in the cell appears as 10:30 (formatted as custom/hh:mm) but the value in the 'formula window' is actually 10:30:00. This type of condition works fine when the cell contains a simple number (or text) but I can't get it to work for either times or dates. I have tried it with and without the inverted commas (around the time value) and have tried using 10:30 ...

Conditional, Conditional Formatting
Two questions, both have to do with semi-complex (at least for me) conditional formatting. 1) I have two conditional formatting "formulas" on column B. Depending on the corresponding row in column I, I want the conditional formatting on or off. If I3 = 0, then don't allow conditional formatting for b3. 2) I want cells from column A to be "strikethrough" if the corresponding cell in column I equals zero. Is there any semi easy (from a data entry standpoint) way for this to be accomplished? Thanks, John One way: Say your current CF for column B is to...

Excell conditional formatting
How do I make cell contents flash when they are outside a given value? If you're kind to your users, you don't. Flashing cells are the spawn of the devil. However, if you insist, I suppose you could find out how by searching the archives:*excel* In article <>, "tab1701" <> wrote: > How do I make cell contents flash when they are outside a given value? ...

Damaged Date format
Why does my date format look like this? "Tue 15/mm/2/mm/2005 7:33 a.m." How do I fix it please. I have tried everything I know in every part of Office XP to fix it. Thanks in advance This is controlled by your computer Regional and Language Settings. It's not part of Office but of Windows. You can find this is the Control Panel. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- <> wrote in message news:00e00...

Easy Question...Conditional formatting?
Hopefully this should be easy for all the experts... Cells G4 thru R4 contain the text, "Act" or "For" Cells G30 thru R30 are filled/shaded in red. Cells G31 thru R30 are filled/shaded in red. Cells G32 thru R32 are filled/shaded in red. etc. etc. etc. The cells which I have shader/filled in red....and with conditioning formatting (or something else) I'd like to somehow referance cells G4 thru R4 and if these cells contain "For" then leave the shaded as in. However if these cells (G4 thru R4) contain the word "Act" I'd like to remove the ...

Is it possible to create a number of charts in a single sheet in an excel?
Hi, Is it possible to create a number of charts in a single sheet in an excel using a macro? Please can somebody help me with the same? Thanks and Regards, Sobha On 26 Apr 2007 20:35:48 -0700, wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible to create a number of charts in a single sheet in an >excel using a macro? > >Please can somebody help me with the same? > >Thanks and Regards, >Sobha I'm sure it is, but I don't know how. I'm sure that there are Excel volunteers who do, though. Please scroll down the list of subject areas on the webpage and re...

Conditional Formatting
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am using Microsoft Office 2008 and I am trying to use the conditional formatting in a basic worksheet to display negative items with a different background color, but i can not seem to find the conditional format button anywhere. I am a very green mac user, so someone please help? Format>Conditional Formatting... But Format>Cells>Number gives you the opportunity to turn negative numbers red, which may be simpler than setting up a conditional format. Cheers On 19/03/10 8:38 AM, in article 59bb57fc.-1@webcr...

Condtional Formatting and Standard Deviation
Trying to ascertain if there is a bug in Excel 2007, or I'm misinterpreting how "Conditional Formatting" works. In short, I have a series of investment returns where I want to check for outliers beyond two and three standard deviations. I used the "Conditional Formatting" style box, and highlighted the cells appropriately. For one population, the mean is 2.55 with a standard deviation of .73 Thus, when I'm checking for +/- two standard deviations, values less than 1.09 (2.55 - 2*.73) and greater than 4.01 (2.55 + 2*.73) should show up with their ...

More that 3 conditions for conditional formating?
How do I set more that 3. I need 6 or 8. I want to have color of cell change if one of the 6 or 8 words appears in the cell. Thanks, Jerry limit is 3. You can, however, check for the appearance of the word by some formula like =NOT(ISNA(MATCH(A1,F1:F8,0))) where F1:F8 contains the list of 8 words and A1 is the active cell. If it's not an error, the word exists, and you can make the cell be whatever color you want. You just can't have 8 different colors. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Jerry Kinder" <> wrote in message news:eefsibF1FHA.664@tk2msftngp13...

Stored procedure- XML
I've created a stored procedure to accept XML as parameter and loads the apporpiated field in the tables in SQL 2000. Evenrything works except.. the following I would like to update existing record if the ID exists in the table, otherwise insert the record(node) into the table.. I couldn't figure it out how to do this... using the XML IF exist UPDate .... Else Insert ..... ...

Formatting Subject Line in Red Font
I have seen e-mails that people send to me that have the to line and subject line in the e-mail in red font when I receive it. How is this done? I use both Outlook 2000. Hope I explained that well enough. Thanks Rod -- All Outgoing Mail Scanned for Viruses -- What mail client are they using? Right click on the message and select Options. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching

should be possible to add more conditions to conditional formatti.
In todays Excel it is only possible to set 3 seperate conditions for formatting cells. I'd like to have some added. Often I just need to set 4 or 5 conditions to cells. For example: I made a spreadsheet for registrating absence at work. There are many reasons why someone is not at work. You can simply give these reasons a colour, but three is not enough. Hi Jan, I agree that you should be able to add many more conditions. Check this link to see a VBA solution that will allow you to add as many as you like. Cheer...

help with Conditional formatting pairs of cells
I have a spreadsheet which is laid out as a burial ground map showing who is buried where and whether a headstone is in place. 2 cells represent one grave as there may be 2 people buried there. The format has 4 conditions: Empty used used+memorial reserved. The sheet has 10 columns of around 20 pairs of cells. Conditional format over the whole range works fine when the pair of cells for a grave are marked empty or where both cells are used (for 2 people in a grave). My problem is finding an easy way to conditionally format the second cell of each pair to match the ...

combo box froze in cell
I have a combo box in vbs on a excel work sheet.When i protect the wor sheet my combo box will not work it shows my items but will not functio with the formuals it is froze in the cell..When not protected it work great -- flg@access4les ----------------------------------------------------------------------- flg@access4less's Profile: View this thread: flg, If the combo box is linked to a cell, the cell must be unlocked (Format - Cells - Protection) so the combo ...

Unique Document Number Could Not Be Found
I have a client that is getting this message many times a day. We have checked the KB articles and these have not resolved the issues. We have a 49 user install, mostly customer service people using SOP and we take about 10000 orders a month. Any suggestions would be appreciated. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at I've seen this happen on PO entry. It seems to be caused by deleting an old transaction(order which hasn't b...

looking at a blacnk cell and need to do and if statement
Please help. I am trying to create a formula that looks at a cell. I that cell is black I need to have another cell used in a calcualtion if that cell has a figure I need that cell used in the calculation. Can anyone help me please. Or, can anyone answer why if I do an isblank formula, I can get it t show me that this is true, but if I put in a number and then remove th number I can not get it to tell me this statement is true again. Thanks. She -- Message posted from Hi try something like =IF(A1="",B1*2,A1*2) or =IF(ISBLANK(A1),B1*2,A1*2) When y...

Number copies printed
I am new at creating code for macros. I have a created a one page document that is numbered. I would like for the number to increase (in regular increments of 1) with each copy printed so that I do not have to manually change the number before each print. I found the following code at the site but when I run the macro I get stopped at this part of the code... System.PrivateProfileString("C:\Settings.txt", "MacroSettings", _ "Order") = Order Here is the code I am using... Sub A...

Conditional formatting
Hi, i have a date in a cell (17.06.2010). I need conditional formatting to change the cell color with 30 days before that date to expire. Something like this. if today is 18.05.2010 and i have 17.06.2010, than the color of that cell to change. Can this be done? Thanks! Select the range say A1:A10 and use the CF formula =AND(A1>TODAY(),A1-TODAY()<=30) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "puiuluipui" wrote: > Hi, i have a date in a cell (17.06.2010). I need conditional formatting to > change the cell color with 30 days before that date to expire. > ...

Returning a Cell Value from the same Row as a Match
Hello, Locating the match is easy enough but I'm not sure how to return the cell next to it. A B C D 1 pig duck quack 2 horse pig oink 3 cow horse neigh 4 duck cow moo What I want is to search column C for the variables in column A - if there's a match I want it to return the value in the D column from the same row of the cell that matched. This would make B1 "oink", B2 "neigh", B3 "moo", etc. (need to be able to fill down). Thanks in advance... Have a look at the INDEX function where you use your MATCH for the row. -- Don Guillett SalesAid So...