Conditional formatting by number of characters in cell

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
drfrot

> I'm entering text into a cell and I simply want the colour of that text to change to red when I exceed 255 characters. <br>
> How do I do this? Using &quot;Cell Value Is&quot;, or &quot;Formula Is&quot;? <br>
0
drfrot
5/24/2010 12:14:59 PM
Well done!  You had me thinking there for a minute :-)

On 24/05/10 10:14 PM, in article 59bb8e86.0@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"drfrot@officeformac.com" <drfrot@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> I'm entering text into a cell and I simply want the colour of that text to
>> change to red when I exceed 255 characters.
>>
>> How do I do this? Using "Cell Value Is", or "Formula Is"?
>>

> After a lot of trial and error... to answer my own question, it should be
> conditioned as "Formula Is", with the formula:
> =LEN(A1)>255
>
> Job done!
>
> :�)

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Week Number
Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? MTIA Elwyn I've never used this function but I think this would work, perhaps someone else would comment, =WEEKNUM(E1-90) Regards, Alan. "elwyn" <elwyn.meredith@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:IY2dnTDiIIjC30zUnZ2dnUVZ8h-dnZ2d@bt.com... > Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week > 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? > > MTIA > > Elwyn ...

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

insert number in column
I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensions. I want to insert a digit before the three throughout the column as the extension has been increased to 4 digits. Any easy way.../ Thanks. AFD Type 4000 in an unused cell, then Copy > it and highlight your list of 3 digit numbers and Right-click > PasteSpecial > Add.......this will place a "4" on the left end of each string. Instead of 4000, use 3000 or whatever the new digit is to be. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "afdmello" wrote: > I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensio...

What is the box character in a text field and how do I replace it?
I have a text\memo filed that has a box charter(s) in it. I do not remember if it is a carriage return or whatever. Whats is the character and how do I replace it? Thanks Dave On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:46:01 -0700, Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a text\memo filed that has a box charter(s) in it. I do not remember >if it is a carriage return or whatever. Whats is the character and how do I >replace it? > >Thanks > >Dave You'll need to find out what it is. My guess is that it's a linefeed Chr(10) - it wouldn...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

Combobox value populate cell selection
I am looking for button code to have a selected cell range merged and populated with value chosen from combobox. This value is centered in the merged cell selection. The cells range is defined manually with mouse. Bart Have a look at this event code which you can refine. No error-checking for data in the selected range...........assumes the mergerange is empty when selected. Runs when a value is selected from Combobox1 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Set srng = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Range", Type:=8) With srng .HorizontalAlignment = xlCen...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

Custom Link for UPS tracking number?
Does anyone know the correct link for UPS to pull up tracking number info from sales orders? I've tried several that open the UPS site when I click on the tracking number link from SOP, but none that actaully fill in and pull up the tracking number entered on the order. Thanks. -- Jim@TurboChef ------=_NextPart_0001_12A27388 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jim, Thank you for the post to the Microsoft Dynamics Newsgroups! There is a way to have it automatically populated the tracking number on the web sites. When you set up your custom links web pag...

Number of contacts in crm
Is there an equivalent to the sql (select count(*) from table) in CRM -- Regards, Pedro Airó you can use the query class which uses fetch xml http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CrmSdk1_2/htm/v1d2crmqueryexecutequerymethod.asp -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Pedro Airo" <pedro_airo@netcabo.pt> wrote in message news:27E5C555-BAAE-4C4C-8F84-1DD204845F28@microsoft.com... > Is there an equivalent to the sql (select count(*) from table) in CRM > > -- > Regards, > Pedro Air� Yes, but where ...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

How to remove page numbers from the display?
I opened a spreadsheet that is display large grey page numbers in the middle of each page of this spreadsheet. These do not print. How do I turn off this display of page number? This is a feature of View|Page Break Preview. Can you just go back to normal? View|Normal Dale Bedford wrote: > > I opened a spreadsheet that is display large grey page numbers in the middle > of each page of this spreadsheet. These do not print. How do I turn off this > display of page number? -- Dave Peterson Dale, You are most likely in the Page Brake Preview mode. To switch to the normal m...

footers and page numbers
Can you change the place at which a footer occurs on the page. I want mine to occur lower down. (pub 2007) Thanks. lindalou wrote: > Can you change the place at which a footer occurs on the page. I want mine to > occur lower down. (pub 2007) The "Footer" (just like the "Header") is merely a construct that Publisher creates to make Word users feel more comfortable. It is in fact a text box on your master page, movable and resizable just like any other object. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Change "Text Numbers" to "Numbers"
Hello, Can you tell me how to (with a macro) change a range of cells that have text numbers to real numbers so I can use them in formulas and also have them show up as real numbers if I save the file as a .prn file. The range of cells begin in row 2 from column C through column AZ. I would really appreciate your help. I have spent days on this and I'm still lost. Thank You, Nichole Hi try the following: - set the format for these cells to a 'number' format' - select an empty cell and copy this cell - select your range of text numbers - goto 'Edit - Paste Special&#...