If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend
the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info
0
Reply John 3/6/2010 11:58:45 AM

On 2010-03-06 11:58:45 +0000, John said:

> Will not incorporating Entourage in 2011 be a mistake? Personally for me
> I like Entourage better than OutLook and think it works better for my
> needs.

That will depend on how they have made Outlook look and work. I would
not expect Outlook for Mac to be a straight port of the windows
version. In fact, most of the information already published about this
by MS indcates hat it is a very different beast indeed - built from the
ground up for the mac alone.

> It also does not make it an inconvenience to use gmail as Outlook
> does by making me always find the Gmail IMAP folder to read the
> messages.

Gmail does some pretty non-standard stuff with its implementation of
IMP, but if you set the IMAP root folder to '[GMAIL]' (without the
quotes) in the mail account settings, many of the problems go away
--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP

0
Reply Barry 3/6/2010 6:31:46 PM

In article <2010030618314682327-barry@mvpsorgINVALID>,
 Barry Wainwright <barry@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> On 2010-03-06 11:58:45 +0000, John said:
>
> > Will not incorporating Entourage in 2011 be a mistake? Personally for me
> > I like Entourage better than OutLook and think it works better for my
> > needs.
>
> That will depend on how they have made Outlook look and work. I would
> not expect Outlook for Mac to be a straight port of the windows
> version. In fact, most of the information already published about this
> by MS indcates hat it is a very different beast indeed - built from the
> ground up for the mac alone.
>
> > It also does not make it an inconvenience to use gmail as Outlook
> > does by making me always find the Gmail IMAP folder to read the
> > messages.
>
> Gmail does some pretty non-standard stuff with its implementation of
> IMP, but if you set the IMAP root folder to '[GMAIL]' (without the
> quotes) in the mail account settings, many of the problems go away

Okay I will try and remember that the next time I use OutLook wich is
very rare these days as Entourage works without this hassle.

Thanks for the input.

John
--
Are there errors in the Bible? How should a church
conduct its worship services? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is racism wrong?
If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend
the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info
0
Reply John 3/6/2010 9:28:52 PM

John wrote:
> In article <2010030618314682327-barry@mvpsorgINVALID>,
>  Barry Wainwright <barry@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
>
> > On 2010-03-06 11:58:45 +0000, John said:
> >
> > > Will not incorporating Entourage in 2011 be a mistake? Personally for me
> > > I like Entourage better than OutLook and think it works better for my
> > > needs.
> >
> > That will depend on how they have made Outlook look and work. I would
> > not expect Outlook for Mac to be a straight port of the windows
> > version. In fact, most of the information already published about this
> > by MS indcates hat it is a very different beast indeed - built from the
> > ground up for the mac alone.
> >
> > > It also does not make it an inconvenience to use gmail as Outlook
> > > does by making me always find the Gmail IMAP folder to read the
> > > messages.
> >
> > Gmail does some pretty non-standard stuff with its implementation of
> > IMP, but if you set the IMAP root folder to '[GMAIL]' (without the
> > quotes) in the mail account settings, many of the problems go away
>
> Okay I will try and remember that the next time I use OutLook wich is
> very rare these days as Entourage works without this hassle.
>

> Thanks for the input.
>

> John
> --
> Are there errors in the Bible? How should a church
> conduct its worship services? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is racism wrong?
> If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend
> the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info

From a functionality perspective I too prefer Entourage over Outlook
like you. However, Microsoft has a ton of issues with Entourage that
need fixing/addressing. I guess they decided a ground up re-write was
the way to go and I think as long as Barry is right they've made the
right decisions. The operational issues with Entourage on the current
OSX are too significant to be ignored. Outlook for the Mac is to
address all of this - thank God.
0
Reply Kerry 3/7/2010 2:19:53 PM

Am 07.03.10 15:19, schrieb Kerry:
>  From a functionality perspective I too prefer Entourage over Outlook
> like you. However, Microsoft has a ton of issues with Entourage that
> need fixing/addressing. I guess they decided a ground up re-write was
> the way to go and I think as long as Barry is right they've made the
> right decisions. The operational issues with Entourage on the current
> OSX are too significant to be ignored. Outlook for the Mac is to
> address all of this - thank God.

I hope time machine could backup without closing Outlook 2011 in future!?

Are the OL2011 mail-database in .pst or in .mbox format?

If MS named the new mailclient Outlook or Entourage is immaterial - the
functions are the goal :-)

--
VLG
Fritz Stockhammer

On 3/14/10 12:05 AM, FritzS wrote:

> I hope time machine could backup without closing Outlook 2011 in future!?

Microsoft has announced that Outlook will be Time Machine friendly. (See
my next response.)

> Are the OL2011 mail-database in .pst or in .mbox format?

This exact format hast not been announced. However, Nadyne Richmond with
MacBU says "file-based" in her blog:

<http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/archive/2010/02/15/top-office-mac-questions-at-macworld-expo.aspx>

That would leave out .pst, however, .pst file import has been announced
for those who need to bring over Outlook for Windows messages.

> If MS named the new mailclient Outlook or Entourage is immaterial - the
> functions are the goal :-)

100% agree! Many folks are getting antsy about the name, but we
shouldn't expect a direct port of Outlook for Windows to the Mac.
Technically, that's not possible if the application is suppose to have a
Mac look and feel, which MacBU has stated is their goal.

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Reply William 3/15/2010 12:00:41 AM