Entourage Inbox (number of mail) is not consistent with Web Mail Inbox (number of email).

  • Follow

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel
Email Client: imap

Web Mail Inbox (2446) <br>
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Server <br>
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Client <br>
Microsoft Entourage 2008 version 12.2.4 (100205)
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/16/2010 1:50:45 PM

To add to my previous post. The clients computer had Clam X AV installed which I have temporarily removed incase it was causing any problems with Entourage writing to its own local cache.
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/16/2010 1:54:11 PM

To add to my previous post it appears that other Entourage users (see link below) are experiencing similar problems without any resolution. <br><br><a href="http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/entourage/19042/Inbox-for-Exchange-account-no-longer-updates-in-Entourage-2008">http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/entourage/19042/Inbox-for-Exchange-account-no-longer-updates-in-Entourage-2008</a>
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/16/2010 3:32:01 PM

On 2010-03-16 09:50:45 -0400, Anton_WCS@officeformac.com said:

> I have tried deleting Entourage's cache.

The Exchange cache??
How did you do that?

Corentin

0
Reply iso 3/16/2010 3:51:10 PM

> On 2010-03-16 09:50:45 -0400, Anton_WCS@officeformac.com said: <br>
> > I have tried deleting Entourage's cache. <br>
> The Exchange cache?? <br>
> How did you do that? <br>
> Corentin <br>
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/16/2010 5:22:16 PM

On 2010-03-16 13:22:16 -0400, Anton_WCS@officeformac.com said:

> > > I have tried deleting Entourage's cache.
> >
> > The Exchange cache??
> > How did you do that?
> >
> > Corentin
> >

> No Entourage cache. I am talking about Microsoft's Entourage email
> client for Exchange servers. An inferior version of Outlook.

> Anyway to remove the local cache simply right-click on the Inbox within
> Entourage and select "Folder Properties". Within the "Folder
> Properties" window there is a option to "Empty Cache".

If it is the inbox for the Exchange account in Entourage, then we are
talking about the same thing.
It should trigger a re-download of everything from your Exchange account.

Are you using the regular version of Entourage or the EWS? (Exchange
Web Services)

Corentin

0
Reply iso 3/16/2010 5:53:27 PM

Entourage has been patched as far as it can via MS AutoUpdate without applying the EWS update. Kerio (the mail server vendor) said not to apply the EWS at present as they have not written in support for it as yet. <br><br>I have now created a temp folder and moved all mail (over 2446 emails) from the Inbox to the temp folder using web mail. I composed and sent 10 or so new emails to this users mailbox successfully. I will monitor this over the next couple of days comparing with web mail as the inconsistencies usually occur a day later. <br><br>It should be noted that the 2446 emails I moved from the Inbox to the temp folder all transferred successfully when viewed in web mail or Apple Mail. In Entourage the temp folder shows 1535 emails. Could it be a corrupt email, or a email that Entourage does not like, that is causing the inconsistencies between web mail, Apple Mail, and Entourage?
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/16/2010 10:15:38 PM

Hi Corentin <br><br>I don't want to jinx anything but checking this morning mail in Entourage's Inbox is showing exactly the same number of email as in the web mail's Inbox. As an added bonus the client was reporting that email that he read on his iPhone did not show as read within Entourage but this also is looking like it has been resolved.
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/17/2010 9:41:54 AM

On 2010-03-17 05:41:54 -0400, Anton_WCS@officeformac.com said:

> Hi Corentin
>
> I don't want to jinx anything but checking this morning mail in
> Entourage's Inbox is showing exactly the same number of email as in the
> web mail's Inbox. As an added bonus the client was reporting that email
> that he read on his iPhone did not show as read within Entourage but
> this also is looking like it has been resolved.

 Wonderful! I'm glad it's working fine now :-)
Obviously a nasty caching issue :-\

Corentin

0
Reply iso 3/17/2010 2:14:38 PM

I don't think it can be cache as I had previously emptied the cache via folder properties. I even done another clean cache after I moved the large volume of emails from Inbox to the temp folder. The Inbox is fine now and the temp folder now has the problem. I still feel it is a corrupt email. If I get time later I will compare the temp folder in Entourage with the temp folder in web mail and maybe pull out batches on a 100 emails at a time until the two are in harmony. When I am at that stage then I'll know that one of those last 100 emails may be corrupts and then drill down from there. <br><br>Many thanks for your help.
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/17/2010 3:56:11 PM

On 2010-03-17 11:56:11 -0400, Anton_WCS@officeformac.com said:

> I don't think it can be cache as I had previously emptied the cache via
> folder properties. I even done another clean cache after I moved the
> large volume of emails from Inbox to the temp folder. The Inbox is fine
> now and the temp folder now has the problem. I still feel it is a
> corrupt email.

I mentioned cache because with Exchange, corrupted or not, e-mails are
exclusively stored in cache.

>  If I get time later I will compare the temp folder in Entourage with
> the temp folder in web mail and maybe pull out batches on a 100 emails
> at a time until the two are in harmony. When I am at that stage then
> I'll know that one of those last 100 emails may be corrupts and then
> drill down from there.

Yeah, it's a tedious task and I don't envy you :-\

Corentin

0
Reply iso 3/17/2010 4:19:37 PM

0
Reply kroddy 3/23/2010 7:09:04 PM

Hi Kate <br><br>Thats great. My client did not know (even roughly) when his problems started. I gave him the option of finding the rogue email but explained the time related costs involved in me doing this. He opted for simply moving all mail in his Inbox to another folder as a quick fix. Now the Inbox and every other folder is working perfectly. The other folder with the rogue emails is now not displaying the correct number of email and read/unread status which I guess is a no biggie if Inbox is functioning.
0
Reply Anton_WCS 3/23/2010 8:58:20 PM

(page loaded in 0.12 seconds)