Entourage converts files to winmail.dat

  • Follow

>Most people these days seem to be blissfully unaware or even
>uninterested in proper etiquette. Remember etiquette?? It still exists,
>believe it or not.

Girls, Girls, you're all pretty...

The point is, that he probably DID search Google for "Entourage
winmail.dat", as I did, which brought us both to this group. I'm
hoping it's not bad etiquette to ask an honest question...

In my case, I've got an interesting situation where I sent ONE email
with an attachment from Outlook on an exchange server to two different
external addresses. I then opened those emails on two different
machines, in the same room, on the same network, both Macs running
Entourage. One received email contained the winmail.dat file, and one
contained the unchanged attachment as it was sent.

I understand that the issue is usually that the exchange server SENT
it as a rich text format MIME message, which ends up being a
winmail.dat file. But... how is it then that two different clients saw
two different things from one email?

It it being sent as a multipart MIME? Is that the answer? And if so,
how can I tell the CLIENT to read it correctly?

Thanks for any insight...

MD
0
Reply Fixdmix 12/3/2009 10:27:27 PM

On 12/3/09 2:27 PM, in article
7deb60fa-6f99-41c7-8bf2-3c814582dab0@s21g2000prm.googlegroups.com, "Fixdmix"
<fixdmix@gmail.com> wrote:

> It it being sent as a multipart MIME? Is that the answer? And if so,
> how can I tell the CLIENT to read it correctly?

Entourage can't.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/attachments.html#att7>

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP