Unable to install IE8 on Windows XP - KB932823

When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it tells
me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do I
get out of this catch-22?

cf. your thread from 30 October:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/899139a333c52f85

I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP SP3
RC1.

1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.

3. Now see...

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
[You may be able to skip Step #4]
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply to
this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

tovi55 wrote:
> When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
> installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
> tells
> me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
> version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do
> get out of this catch-22?

0
PA
11/17/2009 6:59:00 AM
On Nov 17, 6:59=A0am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cf. your thread from 30 October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.=
public.internetexplorer.gene...

> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver. =A0Yes, it is: That's WinXP =
SP3
> RC1.
>
> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>
> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>
> 3. Now see...
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
> [You may be able to skip Step #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft=
..public.windowsxp.general/msg...

> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update! =A0Hide it for now, then repl=
y to
> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>

> tovi55 wrote:
> > When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update befor=
> > installing. =A0When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
> > tells
> > me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it. =A0I =
am on
> > version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264). =A0Ho=
w do
> > get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -

This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
of Windows XP SP3.
I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
Update. ?
Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?

Explain please ?

Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

0
kelvin
11/17/2009 2:28:28 PM
I'll only address this issue:

"I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?"

Is Microsoft Update configured to offer unreleased versions of updates?
If you're a developer, you might want to try them. Otherwise, you don't
want 'em.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kelvin.harding wrote:
> On Nov 17, 6:59 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> cf. your thread from 30 October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>>
>> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP SP3
>> RC1.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>>
>> 3. Now see...
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
>> [You may be able to skip Step #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>>
>> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply to
>> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> tovi55 wrote:
>>> When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
>>> installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
>>> tells
>>> me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
>>> version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do
>>> get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -
>

> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
> Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
> Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
> Update. ?
> Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?
>
> Explain please ?
>
> Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

0
Leonard
11/17/2009 5:05:25 PM
"kelvin.harding" <kelvin.harding@gci-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Nov 17, 6:59 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> cf. your thread from 30
>> October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>>
>> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP
>> SP3
>> RC1.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>>
>> 3. Now see...
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
>> [You may be able to skip Step
>> #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>>
>> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply
>> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> tovi55 wrote:
>> > When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update
>> > before
>> > installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
>> > tells
>> > me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am
>> > on
>> > version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How
>> > do
>> > get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -

> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
> Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
> Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
> Update. ?
> Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?
>
> Explain please ?
>
> Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

XP SP3 RC1 was not available to download from Windows Update unless you were
a member of the beta program, or you installed one of the many hacks that
was going around when RC1 was released to beta testers.

So yes, apparently you do have a fishy Windows setup, but that's not MS's
fault ....

--
Dan

0
Dan
11/17/2009 5:15:21 PM
kelvin.harding wrote:
>> ...That's WinXP SP3 RC1.
<snip>
> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?

I don't care where or how you got it, it's still WinXP SP3 Release Candidate
1 and hasn't been supported for almost 2 years.

NB: Windows Update won't offer SP3 RTM until you've uninstalled SP3 RC1.

If you need additional assistance, please begin a new thread in WinXP
General newsgroup.

0
PA

MSDN Installation 1.2: Javascript Errors
I have installed a CRM Server and separate CRM client (along with the supplied example database). Access through IE6 works fine. Within Sales for outlook, I have 2 issues; 1> It takes 1.5 minutes to start up Outlook (it's only a 1Ghz machine, but CPU usage appears as 1-2% while it is loading). 2> I get various script errors when clicking on the CRM Shortcuts; Errors include messages such as... 'http//crmsvr/sfa/home_comps.aspx - object does not support this property or method' IE script error 'Could not complete the operation due to error 80020101' For testing, ...

Windows update just does not find any patches for windows
I run windows update but no patches ever show up for windows. Belarc advisor and It.shavlik both say that I am missing critical and regular patches. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. RonRPh wrote: > I run windows update but no patches ever show up for windows. Belarc > advisor > and It.shavlik both say that I am missing critical and regular patches. > Any > thoughts ...

Playing a sound to announce incoming mail for Outlook XP
Although I have checked the "play a sound" under advanced options for incoming email, no sound is playing. I would like it to make the "You've got mail" announcement. Did you select a certain sound for it to play ? If you just check the play sound box, it will not do anything until you pick which one to play. Luckily Microsoft does not include "you've got mail" in the choices, that's a AOL thing -- Tedd Riggs PDA Square Content Developer www.pdasquare.com "Sally" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07600...

Install 2005 without converting my quicken file
I want to run both quicken and money on the same computer. How do I install Money 2005 without converting my Quicken file. I want to start Money from "Scratch." In microsoft.public.money, Paul wrote: >I want to run both quicken and money on the same computer. How do I install >Money 2005 without converting my Quicken file. Even if you "convert" your Quicken file, you could still run both. I believe that Money only reads your .qdf and does not change it. > >I want to start Money from "Scratch." Tell Money you do not want to convert. It will a...

Creating a window problem
I don't understand why this code not compiled. I don't see any mistake. Will thankful for help. //MainWin.cpp #include <afxwin.h> #include "MainWin.h" CMainWin :: CMainWin() { Create(NULL, "Mr.Typer", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW); } class CMainWinApp : public CWinApp { public: BOOL InitInstance() { m_pMainWnd = new CMainWin; m_pMainWnd->ShowWindow(m_nCmdShow); m_pMainWnd->UpdateWindow(); return TRUE; } }mainwinApp; The "create" you call in ...

Setting Windows Live Mail
:I have Vista and it came with WM. I could not get my server to connect. I downloaded WLM and still cannot get it to connect. I have my server ingoing and outgoing correct, I have deleted and redone it many times. I have the correct username and password. I keep getting an error 815: The broadband network connection could not be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding. This could be caused by and invalid value for the :Service Name: field for this connections. please contact your ISP and inquire about the correct valued for this field and ...

Outlook crashing with v3c installed
Hi All Outlook is crashing as mentioned in article KB931270 except with outlook 2007. The supposed fix is part of KB925874 however I am not in one of the affected time zones and the fix is quite intensive meaning updates to Windows, Exchange, CRM Server and Client machines. Can anyone suggest whether I should install the patches in this situation? Ian ------=_NextPart_0001_7CA384A5 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Ian, You can still get the hotfix separately. Normally a support incident is free if it is for a hotfix. So, you could open a support incide...

How to get the buttons appear 3d ( as in XP)?
Hi, I'm trying to learn creating a dialog box and add button controls. The buttons are shown in 2d as in Windows 2000 or Win 98. What should I do to make the buttons of the MFC program look 3d as the normal buttons in XP look like? I tried all the properties in the properties window of the resource view in Visual Studion, but nothing is working. Also, I face a problem creating hotkeys for the buttons. Say, the caption to a button "&Cancel" does not show me "C" underlined in the run time. Medicine please. ~Pradeep >I'm trying to learn creating a dialog b...

Windows Media Player no picture 08-02-10
Vista windows Media Player 11 has sound and visualization but no picture on some AVI files. One file that does not respond is Fill Handle.exe. AVI which is a tutorial for Windows Office 2007. ...

home-cinema-installers.co.uk home cinema installation
if you need a superb 'home cinema installation' (http://www.home-cinema-installers.co.uk) then we give you a outstanding finnish. Thank You -- Addessapelamb ...

Dexterity Scrolling window limit
Anyone knows what the limit is for number of lines possible in the scrolling window? THERE IS NO LIMIT ON SCROLLING WINDOWS. "Elmer Tagarino" wrote: > Anyone knows what the limit is for number of lines possible in the scrolling > window? > > > Scrolling windows display data directly from the tables, so the limit would be the limit of the number of rows in a table. Not sure what it is but it would be very big. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.micros...

font installation data
How can I find out which application (not which user) installed a given font on my PC? I do NOT want to know if the font is not an original Windows font at all, I want to know why and when it was installed. On 24/12/2009 11:19, Horst Heinrich Dittgens wrote: > How can I find out which application (not which user) installed a given > font on my PC? > > I do NOT want to know if the font is not an original Windows font at > all, I want to know why and when it was installed. There is no standard way of recording this data. You may be able to get the date from th...

Auto Except install
I want to install this, but will I be prompted to reboot the server? Do I need to do this off hours? thanks Hi Installing the Auto Accept Agent does not require a server reboot. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "spepi" <spepi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3E74ABD-4701-492C-8DA4-BDCDF18511A4@microsoft.com... >I want to install this, but will I be prompted to reboot the server? > > Do I need to do this off hours? > > thanks > Thanks Mark. Now t...

Unable to open calendar

Win7 Pro XP Mode
Don't know if this is the right place for this question. If not, would any of you guys recommend a site? Can't install printer in Virtual PC - XP Mode. Bought as a package from HP: HP Pavilion Elite, desktop. HP Photosmart C4780 printer. Downloaded and installed Virtual PC and got XP mode to work without any problems. Installed OE (which I'm using here for the NGs), and my CAD program (SmartSketch 2d). Copied all diagrams and floor plans to SmartSketch, and the program works perfectly. Only thing wrong is I can't install the printer (USB connection - ...

Prevent information copied in one Excel window to be pasted in another windows
Hello. Since Excel is not multicore aware, I am forced to have two different windows running Excel, ie, i start Excel in one window and start another session of Excel in another window, not in the same window by doing file\new). But since I am running macros in each, and because my macro copy and paste information, sometime the windows interfere ith each other which prevent one of the macro from running. Is there a way to make Excel not able to paste in another window? Thanks for the tip. ...

Updates won't install
These 3 updates have been installed repetedly and each time it shows they have been installedhowever, the updates ready to install icon keeps showing back up saying these updates are ready to install AGAIN! And I have tried turning off spyware and anivirus to install and have restarted several times. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524) Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install) This update addresses a set of known issues of the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. ...

Windows Server Backup
I want to go through the restoration process of Exchange date - the entire database, individual mailboxes, emails etc. My lab setup is as follows (all in a vmware machine):- Windows Server 2008 Exchange 2007 (32-bit/sp1/eval) Email flow etc works fine. I've taken a full backup using windows server backup. When I come to restore the backup in the Select recovery type screen the option for Applications is greyed out. It says that you can recover applications that have registered with Windows Server Backup. I need to find out how to get Exchange to register with Window...

hide window from task bar
if I create a window using CreateEx, how can I prevent the window from showing up on the task bar? Thanks, Mark Use WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style in your window. Another option is here: http://www.codeproject.com/docview/notaskbaricon.asp --- Ajay thanks! I'm new to MFC... Cheers, Mark "Ajay Kalra" wrote: > Use WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style in your window. Another option is > here: > > http://www.codeproject.com/docview/notaskbaricon.asp > > --- > Ajay > > Welcome to MFC Mark. I think you'll find that MFC will help you create grea...

unable to scroll the page

How install addt'l payroll users license
I have just purchased a license for 101-250 employees in payroll and am having trouble figuring out how to install the license key. Can anyone help me with this? Tools - Setup - System - Registration Keys You might need your system password to be able to access the Reg keys. Have all users exit out before changing the keys. Kevin "Melanie Wagner" wrote: > I have just purchased a license for 101-250 employees in payroll and am > having trouble figuring out how to install the license key. Can anyone help > me with this? ...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...