Unable to install IE8 on Windows XP - KB932823

  • Follow

When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it tells
me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do I
get out of this catch-22?
0
Reply Utf 11/17/2009 6:08:35 AM

cf. your thread from 30 October:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/899139a333c52f85

I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP SP3
RC1.

1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.

3. Now see...

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
[You may be able to skip Step #4]
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply to
this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

tovi55 wrote:
> When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
> installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
> tells
> me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
> version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do
> get out of this catch-22?

0
Reply PA 11/17/2009 6:59:00 AM

On Nov 17, 6:59=A0am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cf. your thread from 30 October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.=
public.internetexplorer.gene...

> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver. =A0Yes, it is: That's WinXP =
SP3
> RC1.
>
> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>
> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>
> 3. Now see...
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
> [You may be able to skip Step #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft=
..public.windowsxp.general/msg...

> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update! =A0Hide it for now, then repl=
y to
> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>

> tovi55 wrote:
> > When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update befor=
> > installing. =A0When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
> > tells
> > me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it. =A0I =
am on
> > version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264). =A0Ho=
w do
> > get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -

This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
of Windows XP SP3.
I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
Update. ?
Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?

Explain please ?

Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

0
Reply kelvin 11/17/2009 2:28:28 PM

I'll only address this issue:

"I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?"

Is Microsoft Update configured to offer unreleased versions of updates?
If you're a developer, you might want to try them. Otherwise, you don't
want 'em.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kelvin.harding wrote:
> On Nov 17, 6:59 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> cf. your thread from 30 October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>>
>> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP SP3
>> RC1.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>>
>> 3. Now see...
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
>> [You may be able to skip Step #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>>
>> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply to
>> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> tovi55 wrote:
>>> When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
>>> installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
>>> tells
>>> me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
>>> version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do
>>> get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -
>

> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
> Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
> Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
> Update. ?
> Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?
>
> Explain please ?
>
> Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

0
Reply Leonard 11/17/2009 5:05:25 PM

"kelvin.harding" <kelvin.harding@gci-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Nov 17, 6:59 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> cf. your thread from 30
>> October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>>
>> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP
>> SP3
>> RC1.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>>
>> 3. Now see...
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
>> [You may be able to skip Step
>> #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>>
>> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply
>> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> tovi55 wrote:
>> > When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update
>> > before
>> > installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
>> > tells
>> > me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am
>> > on
>> > version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How
>> > do
>> > get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -

> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
> Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
> Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
> Update. ?
> Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?
>
> Explain please ?
>
> Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

XP SP3 RC1 was not available to download from Windows Update unless you were
a member of the beta program, or you installed one of the many hacks that
was going around when RC1 was released to beta testers.

So yes, apparently you do have a fishy Windows setup, but that's not MS's
fault ....

--
Dan

0
Reply Dan 11/17/2009 5:15:21 PM

kelvin.harding wrote:
>> ...That's WinXP SP3 RC1.
<snip>
> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?

I don't care where or how you got it, it's still WinXP SP3 Release Candidate
1 and hasn't been supported for almost 2 years.

NB: Windows Update won't offer SP3 RTM until you've uninstalled SP3 RC1.

If you need additional assistance, please begin a new thread in WinXP
General newsgroup.

0
Reply PA 11/17/2009 9:32:11 PM

(page loaded in 0.094 seconds)