Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar

Follow
Email
IE8

How do I remove the Suggested Sites list from the Favorites Bar in IE8?

Just to be clear, I am not asking about how to turn Suggested Sites on or
off.  I don't want it to even appear on the screen.

--Tom

0
Reply Thomas 12/14/2009 6:33:20 PM

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
> IE8
>
> How do I remove the Suggested Sites list from the Favorites Bar in IE8?
>
> Just to be clear, I am not asking about how to turn Suggested Sites on or
> off.  I don't want it to even appear on the screen.
>
> --Tom

Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.

The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will see
is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On Suggested
Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you have the
menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the Menu Bar
that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and take the
Suggested Sites with it.

I keep the Menu Bar showing, then select Favorites andn choose from the drop
down box, and never use the Gold Star.

-2
Reply Jeff 12/14/2009 8:07:28 PM
> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>
> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On Suggested
> Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you have the
> menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the Menu Bar
> that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and take the
> Suggested Sites with it.

I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested Sites,
but it still appears on the Favorites Bar.  I have a number of shortcuts on
the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without the Suggested
Sites.  Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original post, but I just
assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen without removing the
Favorites Bar itself.

--Tom

0
Reply Thomas 12/14/2009 10:47:27 PM
I found how to do this.  Suggested Sites is a shortcut in the Links folder.
Go to C:\Document and Settings\<Profile Nmae>\Favorites\Links and delete the
Suggested Sites shortcut.

--Tom

0
Reply Thomas 12/14/2009 11:06:23 PM
>> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>>
>> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
>> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On
>> Suggested Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you
>> have the menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the
>> Menu Bar that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and
>> take the Suggested Sites with it.
>
> I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested
> Sites, but it still appears on the Favorites Bar.  I have a number of
> shortcuts on the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without
> the Suggested Sites.  Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original
> post, but I just assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen
> without removing the Favorites Bar itself.

I do not have any Suggested Sites because I never enabled that feature.

Those sites must be stored somewhere that needs to be cleaned out. It sounds
as if you once had the feature turned ON, it collected a list of
suggestions, then you turned the feature OFF. The suggestions are now gray.

I don't know where they would be held, but clearing out your History should
get rid of the suggestions. Of course, clearing History has it's own impact
that you might consider. I clear my history everytime I close IE. I don't
care to keep my History because I once had space issues that I don't have
now, but I've learned that history isn't very helpful so I clear it.

I get to my Favorites by clicking the Favorites Menu and selecting whichever
Favorite I have my heart set on.

0
Reply Jeff 12/14/2009 11:07:38 PM
Try rightclick/Delete - the option is there but, don't know if it will come
back.

--
~ john aka: jopa

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>>
>> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
>> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On
>> Suggested Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you
>> have the menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the
>> Menu Bar that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and
>> take the Suggested Sites with it.
>
> I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested
> Sites, but it still appears on the Favorites Bar.  I have a number of
> shortcuts on the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without
> the Suggested Sites.  Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original
> post, but I just assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen
> without removing the Favorites Bar itself.
>
> --Tom

0
Reply jopa66 12/14/2009 11:12:34 PM
Yep. It will come back to haut you. Move the Suggest Sites Web Slice to a
different folder from (links/Favorites Bar) to hide it from your face.

This will retain the registry entries for the Web Slice (IE will re-create
the registry entries if it does not find it) and the linked Internet
Shortcut file.

Regards.

"jopa66" <jopa66@thehotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try rightclick/Delete - the option is there but, don't know if it will
> come back.
>
> --
> ~ john aka: jopa
>
> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>>> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>>>
>>> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
>>> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On
>>> Suggested Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you
>>> have the menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's
>>> the Menu Bar that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go
>>> away and take the Suggested Sites with it.
>>
>> I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested
>> Sites, but it still appears on the Favorites Bar.  I have a number of
>> shortcuts on the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without
>> the Suggested Sites.  Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original
>> post, but I just assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen
>> without removing the Favorites Bar itself.
>>
>> --Tom

0
Reply rob 12/15/2009 12:23:50 AM

"Thomas M." wrote:

> I found how to do this.  Suggested Sites is a shortcut in the Links folder.
> Go to C:\Document and Settings\<Profile Nmae>\Favorites\Links and delete the
> Suggested Sites shortcut.
>
> --Tom
> Nice going Tom. Can you be more specific on how to do it ? Click by click for a novice.  Thanks

Doug

> .

0
Reply Utf 12/19/2009 7:05:01 PM
Follow
Email

Remove Excel Icon ??

Removal

Formula Bar
How do I replace the function button "fx" with the equal sign "=" on my formula bar? Please help! Yours truly, New Excel 2002 User Sean The closest you can get is to go to Tools>Customize>Commands>Insert and drag the "=" sign to your Toolbar. Note: it does not function as it did prior to Excel 2002 and 2003. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:24:06 -0700, "Sean Lamb" <seanlamb@gmail.com> wrote: >How do I replace the function button "fx" with the equal >sign "=" on my formula bar? > >Plea...

Remove lines with +++

How to Remove SRS

remove Fax from address book?

Removing an item from menu

Need to remove selected characters

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Removing password protection on a sheet

Adding and removing removable drives

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...

Removing Synchronised Contacts
We've a number of client pcs that have been installed with the Outlook Client pointing to a user acceptance test (UAT) system. The Outlook client has synchronized CRM contacts into their Outlook Contacts folder. How can we remove the UAT contacts? I tried to do a Find in Outlook to find the CRM specific contacts, but you don't seem to be able to find the CRM user defined fields? Strange. Any thoughts? You can see the custom CRM fields on an contact view. Choose a contact view that lists the records in a table form, such as 'Phone List'. Then, choose to customize ...

Retreaving a Page from a Master Web Site
I am hosting nine web sites. One for each high school. www.adams.edu www.cooledge.edu www.fillmore.edu www.washington.edu And so on the master site is www.canutillo.edu I have a very large set of graphics is www.canutillo.edu\Maps\TxMap.asp so I do not want to copy it to every school site. I want to access that map in every site but I am having trouble with my a finding my map Right Now I have a href = www.canutillo.edu/Maps/TxMap in each of my high school sites, but I cannot get it to point to the right directory. Can anyone give me the correct scri...

Remove & Reinstall Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP Professional on my new computer. Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook 2003? Thanks. J J Kendel <jkendel2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP > Professional on my new computer. Really? 2003? Office XP typically includes Outlook 2002. >Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook >2003? Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Find Office and click "Change". Remove the Outlook part. Reboot. Go back to that point and add it back in again. -...

DPM discovery of new sharepoint sites and sub sites
DPM beta 2010 with SP 2007 As new sites and subsites are added to MOSS they are not immediatly picked up by the next DPM recovery point. Is there a function in DPM that rediscovers the farm? When does it run? It would seem it should do this before each recoverypoint. Thanks You can use Start-AutoProtection cmdlet to update any database level changes that could have happened in the sharepoint Farms. Once it is done one can take the backup. To update the sitecollection in RC we will be providing the Start-CreateCatalog that can be run on a datasource which updates ...

Removing BINS
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0072_01CA379C.F0CAF860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some thousand of BINS; creating so many problems while doing the = cycle counts because they have zero Qty. on Hand and Zero Beginning = Qty.. when I do the scheduling, I get hundreds of page of report with = zero on hand data. Now as per KB 874145, if there is ZERO on-hand and there is no un-posted = TRX and these bins are not assigned default BINS, these can be deleted. = Guess. No I have use...

User removed from Webport folder access
Hi, Whenever a report is published to Webport, some users would be automatically removed from folders which they have previously been granted access. In every of these cases, we have to delete the user ID, create them again, then assign them to the folders. Does anyone know what's the cause of this problem, and how we can rectify it without having to re-create the user ID, or to prevent this from happening in the first place? We are using Webport 6.5 with Great Plains 7.5 on Windows 2000 SP4. Thanks in advance! ...

Suggest a good registry class
I have discovered some weird behavior in the module I have used in the past for registry manipulation. Can someone please suggest a registry class or module thats known to work well? I briefly looked at the vbAccelerator registry class and it seems a bit over blown. Thanks "nop90" <bjones_calif@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Xns9CD7712C5DC8Bbjonescalif@69.16.186.7... >I have discovered some weird behavior in the module I have used in the past > for registry manipulation. > > Can someone please suggest a registry class or module thats known t...

Event when removable drived added/removed
Is there an event that I can subscribe to, to get notified when a removable drive is added or removed? Thanks LS "Lloyd Sheen" <a@b.c> wrote in news:#Xols58hKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > Is there an event that I can subscribe to, to get notified when a > removable drive is added or removed? Assume all removables are USB today. :-) Start here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/DriveDetector.aspx This is a wrapper project for the Windows libraries that work with these drives. Peace and Grace, -- Gregory A. Beamer (MVP) Twitter...