Middle-click not working... sometimes

I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8 sometimes
doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current tab.
 I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago.  I
have noticed it on more than one computer.

Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.  Am
I going nuts, or has something happened?

See this recent, related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/77b0443d0972e86f

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

WinXP or Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Win7 only:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?  If WinXP or Vista: Were any of these
applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

it)?

Domenic Alvaro wrote:
> I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8
> sometimes
> doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current
> tab. I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks
> ago.  I have noticed it on more than one computer.
>
> Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.
> Am
> I going nuts, or has something happened?

0
PA
2/17/2010 11:17:16 PM
"Domenic Alvaro" <DomenicAlvaro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8
>sometimes
> doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current
> tab.
> I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago.  I
> have noticed it on more than one computer.
>
> Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.
> Am
> I going nuts, or has something happened?

Middle Click?

I can click with the mouse wheel, that's the closest thing I have to a
middle-click, but it only lets me jump to another open window. I can do the
same thing by selecting one of the open programs on the Task Bar. Right
Click opens a dialog box that allows several options, and Left Click open
the link, sometimes in a new Tab, sometimes in a new Window. The link drives
that bus, so I take whatever annoying behavior that results with a grain of
salt. I've selected in TOOLS>OPTIONS to always open in a new tab, but it
doesn't always work out the way I would prefer. I blame the dissapointment
on the link and move on.

0
Jeff
2/17/2010 11:30:25 PM
Finally somone else who has this problem.  This has been driving me
nuts, and I can't find any other discussion on the net about it.

It happened to me when I upgraded to Win 7 with IE 8.

Sometimes middle click opens a new tab, sometimes it opens in the same
window.  I get a rapid 'double click' sound when it does not work
properly.

AV = AVG free
Middle click also plays up in IE (no add ins)
Same behaviour for a USB mouse or my pen/tablet

--
mikeincairns
0

IE8
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

It used to be that a middle-click always opened a link in a new tab (the
desired result).  But lately, it doesn't always work. Sometimes it goes to a
new tab sometimes it opens in the current tab.  The inconsistent behavior is
frustrating.
Hello,

same situation this problem started few weeks ago. Midlle click sometimes works sometimes not.

Any idea how to fix?
0
BlaMa
2/24/2010 8:54:26 PM
"Domenic Alvaro" <DomenicAlvaro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8
> sometimes
> doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current
> tab.
> I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago.  I
> have noticed it on more than one computer.
>
> Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.
> Am
> I going nuts, or has something happened?

How are you doing your Middleclick?   E.g. I have a wireless mouse with a
scrollwheel where "clicking" with the scrollwheel is defined as Middleclick.
Well, frequently my attempts at clicking just move the pointer off the link
so I don't get a good click.   When I was using my Kensington trackball I
had a chord defined for Middleclick and that was a much more reliable
procedure.   Perhaps if I used a different button for Middleclick instead of
the scrollwheel I would have a better result.   But the only thing that I
really want Middleclick for anyway is starting AutoScroll, which works,
within the limitations of my use of the hardware, as described above.
IMO Ctrl-Click and Shift-Ctrl-Click would be better options if you are just
using Middleclick to open links in a new tab, foreground or background.

---

0
Robert
2/24/2010 9:03:22 PM
Finally! I thought I was going crazy. This has happened to me on 3
different machines now, one XP, one Vista and one Windows 7 Ultimate.

Does this only happen in IE8 or does it also happen in Firefox?

--
Mech
0

Big problem,
My middle finger works...

Roman wrote:
> I have same problem on two cumputers one W7 second Win XP. Middle click on
> some links work on another not.
>
> Big problem,

0
PA
2/28/2010 12:27:26 AM
After using vista business for over a year the wheel click to open a new tab doesn't always work. I presume this is because of a windows update that wasn't tested fully. It is very annoying as you cannot now keep a google search unless by using the right click/new tab method. A very backward step!

Domenic Alvaro wrote:

Middle-click not working... sometimes
17-Feb-10

I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8 sometimes
does not open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current tab.
I have not had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago.  I
have noticed it on more than one computer.

Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.  Am
I going nuts, or has something happened?

Generic Feed Parsers Redux
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/42a9b6e2-809e-4ca7-b3f6-acd41f462063/generic-feed-parsers-redu.aspx
0
Eddy
3/1/2010 6:06:24 PM
I have had the same problem.
Middle mouse button only opens a new tab about two thirds of the time.
0
cy3
3/14/2010 8:53:22 PM
I am using XP Pro and IE 8 and the wheel mouse clicking thing has just started happening to me too.  I think it only happens clicking out of Google in Internet Explorer, so I don't know if Google have changed something.  It is driving me up the wall, as I use wheel mouse clicking to open links in new windows all the time.  Even searching for a solution to this problem in Google made it happen several times.
0
It
3/15/2010 1:39:26 PM
Reboot.

"It makes me MAD" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>I am using XP Pro and IE 8 and the wheel mouse clicking thing has just
>started happening to me too.  I think it only happens clicking out of
>Google in Internet Explorer, so I don't know if Google have changed
>something.  It is driving me up the wall, as I use wheel mouse clicking to
>open links in new windows all the time.  Even searching for a solution to
>this problem in Google made it happen several times.
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/Middle-click-not-working-sometimes

0
Bob
3/15/2010 3:06:59 PM
Rebooting did nothing.  I think the problem lies with Google or an IE update.
0
It

Change Full name format to First Last Middle ??
Hi, need to set the name format to First Last Middle but the CRM setting do not cater for that. can anyone assist in the setting? is it possible to add that option in? Thanks in advance On Feb 14, 1:25 pm, dreamerz <dream...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > need to set the name format to First Last Middle > but the CRM setting do not cater for that. > can anyone assist in the setting? > is it possible to add that option in? > > Thanks in advance Hi, i m someone working on MS CRM from its first version. if u need any help on MS CRM, u can contact me...

custom autofilter does not work
Hi there, I have Microsoft Excel 2003 version (dont know if makes a difference but i mention it). I have a list with numbers and I have Autofilter activated but when I selected Custom and then the option "begins with" or "contains" it does not bring any result. Even when I selected the hole number that I want to filter (although I want all the numbers that start with some common digits with this one). I dont know if this version has any problem with that thing. I have used the same feature in the past with previous versions and it worked just fine. If anybody has s...

"Confidential" in middle of page
I have seen excel spreadsheets where "page 1" or "confidential" is written across the center of the page, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. It looks almost like a watermark. this link shows how http://tinyurl.com/yvlly mark wielgus www.AutomateExcel.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Page 1 is when the sheet is in page break view the confidential is done using wordart, if you set the transparency to more than 50% and use some grey colour it will look like a watermark albeit being above the text.. If you do a google search for watermark ...

How can I see document in color while I'm working?
I need to be able to see document in full color while working. I've tried switching views, etc. but the only way I can see color is in "print preview." Jamie If this is a problem with all Excel files with coloured cells, the Windows OS high contrast setting may be turned on. There is information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;320531 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:09:03 -0800, "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

OMA / OWA only working for admins ?
All, My OMA /OWA will only work with the administrator user and another admin that I have created. No other users have access. Weird. Any ideas? Manythanks, Mike ...

Double Click Field Conflicts
I am using the following double click event to open another form to the record that matches the product id to the item number. The problem is that the item number sometimes has characters that confuse the double click event. How do I preserve the event and isolate the item number so it doesn't hurt the code of the event? Private Sub PartNumber_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) If IsNull(Me.PartNumber) Then DoCmd.OpenForm "FRM_Inventory", , , , acFormAdd Else DoCmd.OpenForm "FRM_Inventory", , , "ItemNumber=" & Me.PartNumber End If End Sub &qu...

Hyperlinks in 2003 Click twice?
When I click on a hyperlink in Outlook 2003 it initally opens a blank IE session, I then have to click a second time for the link to actually work, it opens a second session of IE. Any ideas, I've never had this problem before in previous version of Outlook ...

How do I play a video from a the middle?
I have a video to play that I want to put in my powerpoint, but I only want to show the last two minutes instead of the full video. Use Windows Movie Maker to cut your video "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: E37AC2EE-D68C-4AB7-8633-04CF8681B951@microsoft.com... >I have a video to play that I want to put in my powerpoint, but I only want > to show the last two minutes instead of the full video. Do the following: 1. Select the movie shape that you inserted on the slide. 2. In PowerPoint 2007, select "Animations&q...

Why is this strSQL not working??? Please Help
If I take out the Dlookup part all is well but I really need that Dlookup. Can someone explian why? Const strSQL = "SELECT tblLister.lListerID, tblLister.lFirstName, tblLister.lLastName, tblLister.leMailAddress, tblLister.lFaxNumber, tblLister.lCellPhoneNumber, tblLister.lOtherPhoneNumber, tblLister.lPhoneNumber, DLookUp("btBrokerID","tblBrokerTerritory","[btTerritoryStateID]='" & [llStateID] & "'") AS BrokerID, tblListerListing.llListingID, tblListerListing.llSaleAmount, tblListerListing.llInActiveOrSold, tblListerListing.l...

Remove middle initial from "first name middle initial"
Hello Excel Gurus, I've been searching the site for an answer to this question but as yet no luck. If I missed a previous post on this topic I apologize, please direct me to it. I have 1 column with a series of people's first names. Many have a middle initial, some don't. About half of the cells are of two people's names joined by an "&". Sample data below: Frank & Debbie J Marshall & Teresa Timothy R Jeffrey D & Eileen N Pamela J James R & Rachel Brooke S Myung S Martin F & Susan A Kathleen I need remove the middle initial and preserve...

How do I lock the work sheet and then unlock specific cells?
Hi I can protect the entire worksheet but then I'm lost as to how to actually unlock only certain sells that I want to share with other users. Please help! With the sheet unprotected, choose the cells that you want unlocked and then go to Format/Cells. Choose the Protection tab and uncheck the box for Locked. Protect the sheet and you are done. HTH, Greg <bparting@standard.com> wrote in message news:253567CC-3591-4537-BFA0-A2594A1960F5@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I can protect the entire worksheet but then I'm lost as to how to actually unlock only certain sells that I wa...

On Create Workflow not working
I am trying to add a new workflow rule to our system. All I want to do is send an email when a new order is created, that's it. I have many other, much more complex workflows running just fine. However, it seems I can no longer add an On Create workflow rule. If I change this rule to On Assign, it runs fine. For some reason, any new On create rules are not running, the old On create rules still work. Does anyone know what this could be? Any help is appreciated. This is only affecting the Creation of workflow rules for Orders. Is there a maximum # of rules allowed for each...

To remove 'set as background to desktop' during right click
Hi all, Is there is any way to remove 'Set as background ' tab whenever a user right click on a pic.I dont like to create a guest account. Thanks in advance Sorry, you’ve landed in a MacOffice group. You might get an answer from the people here who use both Windows and Mac, but you need to find a Windows newsgroup to ask--that doesn't sound like an Office question. http://support.microsoft.com/ Suresh wrote: > Hi all, > > Is there is any way to remove 'Set as background ' tab whenever a user right > click on a pic.I dont like to create a guest account. &g...

why my BeforeUpdate does not work?
I intentionally tried both conditions but MsgBox does not start. Where did I do wrong? Private Sub cboFrom_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If Me.From < DMin("TimeIn", "qryVisitData") Then MsgBox ("FROM cannot be earlier than downloaded data range") Cancel = True End If If Me.From > Me.To Then MsgBox ("FROM must be same or earler than TO") Cancel = True End If End Sub Hi Song Su, Is your combobox named "Me.From" or "Me.cboFrom". Judging from the event name, it's unlikely ...

Email accounts not working
MacBook Pro, 2.53 Ghz, Memory 4GB, Mac OS x 10.5.8, Entourage 2008, POP > > Please help with my headache. I have 4 email addresses and would like to > receive and send for all through Entourage. However I am experiencing > problems with them as follows: > > 1. Gmail. Default account and works fine > 2. IMAP through Microsoft Exchange. Entourage will not talk to the server > (have tested). Can send and receive whilst within the firewall at my company > but not outside. All my colleagues can with Outlook on Windows. My IT > Manager has given up trying. ...

On click add record
I have a form that I use to enter new records into a table (tblNewJobs). On the same form, I also use a macro on form that appends the new records as well as other information to another table (tblJobsArchive). The problem is that I must use the "enter" key after entering data the last field on the form so that the record gets entered into (tblNewJobs). What type of command would I use in the macro to add the last data entry to the table in lieu of using the "enter key". Try GoToRecord, then set record to New -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they ...

Tab and Shortcut keys don't work
I'm having problem with Tab key. When I hit Tap key, it's supposed to move to the next cell on the right. However, it jumps to column P. I don't know how to customize this thing. Moreover, the shortcut key Ctr+Shift+arrow also doesn't work. Is there anyway to fix it Thank wgunner78 Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Transition tab. Clear the "Transition navigation keys" setting. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "wgunner78" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

How do I work on one page without seeing other pages
How do I work on one page without seeing other pages on my monitor. I only want to see one page at a time, not multiple pages. Mike What do you mean by one page? As in one worksheet, or as in print layout? "Mike Defillo" wrote: > How do I work on one page without seeing other pages on my monitor. I only > want to see one page at a time, not multiple pages. > Mike Just as you would with MS Word it may go to a second page if the first one is full but why does Excel show other pages to the right of the page I am working? When I scroll to the right the page keeps going a...

business boom in the middle east
with www.dareltech.com ...

Cursor middle of document
When I open a new document in Word 2007 the cursor is always in the middle of the page. I start typing and the text goes up to the top of the page. How do I make the cursor to appear at the top of the page in new document? The advice on the internet is Go to File > Page Setup > Layout (in Word 2007, ) and change the Vertical Alignment from Center to Top. But in my case all these icon are greyed out. Can anybody help please. The advice you quoted is correct only up to Word 2003. For Word 2007, click the Page Layout tab at the top of the ribbon. Then click the tiny ar...

Word 7 autorecovery not working
Use Vista Ultimate & Office 2007. Autorecovery used to work but now am getting this error message when I try to execute Autorecovery: MS Office Word cannot open this file because it is an unsupported file type. Help appreciated. ...

there are no item in inbox, i have click on send/receive tab many
there are no item in inbox, i have click on send/receive tab many time "uttam" <uttam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:428FA040-E7B5-47E6-B611-FB1748D71FD2@microsoft.com... > there are no item in inbox, i have click on send/receive tab many time What happens? Do you get any error messages? Did you turn on diagnostic logging to see what's happening during the send/receive? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479 -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] if you switch folders, do the messages show up? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http:/...

Formula stopped working...
=SUM((D131={5,10,20,30,50,100})*{10,20,35,60,100,210}) This formula worked fine from row 7 to row 131. Then starting on row 132, it stopped working. The formula is in cells 132 - 300, but it doesn't work anymore. Same formula, but no result. What gives?? atom "doesn't work" is not too descriptive. What results do you get? Which column is it entered in? I'm assuming you copied it down from row 7. Perhaps you have no data in column D past row 131? Gord Dibben XL2002 On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 00:50:21 GMT, atom <akobrin@earthlink.net> wrote: >=SUM((D131={5,1...

Middle of a migration
Hello all Wer are currently in the midst of a migration from 5.5 to 2003. Both servers are in the same org. I have be ngetting complaints. We've had a few cases where people are being dropped from distribution lists. I have checked the ownership of the DL and the correct owner is listed. Is it true that only the owner of the DL can make changes to the membership of the group? and if so then what could be causing memebers from disapperaing from the group? This only happens to 2 DL's that we have noticed so far. Thanks You haven't described how you're doing this migrati...

service reference not working
I've a web site that contains a remote service reference (binded to a tcp:// WCF service). I can add the reference, I can see endpoints and interface and select them, and VS creates the service referce. No error. Bun no object proxy is available on my namespace! I cannot refer to the remote service in any way... :( any idea? I've create a blank new project and added a reference to the same service, and all is ok :( Trapulo wrote: > I've a web site that contains a remote service reference (binded to a > tcp:// WCF service). That can only happen on...