Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there are
two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the following
locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is
a 32-bit version)
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
64-bit version)

First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is there
any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I have
not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed to
be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like to
have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions and/or
give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

3
Nathan

Hi, Nathan.

You are correct.  On 64-bit Win7, there BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
IE8.

Some program developers are slow to move to the 64-bit world.  One of them,
sadly, is Adobe.  Adobe Flash Player is one of the most popular tools on the
Internet - but it has not yet been updated to work in a 64-bit browser.  But
it will happily work in a 32-bit browser running in 64-bit Windows.  For
Adobe's statement on this subject, see their TechNote, last updated
10/21/09:
Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

When we try to play a YouTube video in 64-bit IE8, it doesn't work.  When my
grandson tries to play some of the videos on PBSKids.org, they don't work -
unless the 32-bit IE8 is running.  To cut down on such frustrations,
Microsoft set Win7 to run 32-bit IE8 by default.  If you want to run 64-bit
IE8, then you can browse to it in Windows Explorer and double-click on
iexplore.exe - or any of the other methods to run a program (pin to Start
menu or taskbar, create a shortcut, etc.).

I did change the default to 64-bit, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.  When
a Flash video refuses to run in 64-bit, just Copy the URL, start the 32-bit
IE8 (which can be pinned to the Start menu), Paste the URL there and press
Enter.

To see which version of IE8 is currently running, click Help | About
Internet Explorer.  The 64-bit version will say "64-bit Edition"; the 32-bit
edition doesn't mention "bitness" at all.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Nathan Sokalski wrote:

> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
> are two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
> following locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
> is a 32-bit version)
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
> 64-bit version)
>
> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
> there any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and
> I have not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not
> supposed to be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is
> supposed to be better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for
> 64-bit, I would like to have everything use that if possible. I have
> changed any shortcuts on my Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit
> version, but I am a little bit hesitant to change some of the values in
> the Registry that specifically specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone
> answer any of these questions and/or give me some information on some of
> what I can and/or should do about it? Thanks.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981
"I have Windows 7 64-bit and need to use Internet Explorer 32-bit".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft� MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003

1
Vincenzo
2/14/2010 4:42:55 AM
May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?

The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:

     A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

More:

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
> are
> two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the following
> locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
> is
> a 32-bit version)
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
> 64-bit version)
>
> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
> there
> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I have
> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
> and/or
> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
> Thanks.

0
PA
2/14/2010 6:30:18 AM
The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:

1. That is the version that came with my new computer
2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
(although I'd have to double-check
3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy figuring
out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or alternative)
I saw no reason to wait

Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in makers
that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers would
offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm a
patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a 32
and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?
--

> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>
> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>
>     A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
>
> You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
>
> More:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981
>

> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
>> are
>> two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
>> following
>> locations:
>>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
>> is
>> a 32-bit version)
>> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is
>> the
>> 64-bit version)
>>
>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>> there
>> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I
>> have
>> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
>> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
>> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
>> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
>> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
>> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
>> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
>> and/or
>> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
>> Thanks.

0
Nathan
2/14/2010 4:40:24 PM
645-bit Windows 7 should serve you well.  Ultimate does come in both
32-bit and 64-bit, but but that's not really significant.

If you find any 16-bit based program that won't run on 64-bit you can
always install a Virtual Machine program and run most of those type
programs there.  Microsoft has an XP Mode VM for Win 7 Professional and
Ultimate.  And, if you really need to run some old programs, there is
DOSBox.

So, enjoy you 64-bit Win 7!

On 2010-02-14 11:40, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:
>
> 1. That is the version that came with my new computer
> 2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that
> exists (although I'd have to double-check
> 3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit
> (and the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy
> figuring out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
> alternative) I saw no reason to wait
>
> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
> makers that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates.
> 64-bit isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were
> 64-bit versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware
> makers would offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe
> would have made a 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually
> everyone uses. But I'm a patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds
> and alternatives, I'm a patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough
> to give Windows 7 users a 32 and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I
> have to complain about?
1
Bobby
2/14/2010 5:06:01 PM
Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
computer or upgrading your current computer.

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> [...]
>>> 64-bit version)
>>>
>>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>>> there
>>> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I
>>> have
>>> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
>>> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
>>> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
>>> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
>>> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
>>> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
>>> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
>>> and/or
>>> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about
>>> Thanks.

0
PA
2/14/2010 5:51:12 PM
PA Bear,

Like Nathan, I'm also curious about the thinking behind you comment, "May I
ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?" Since you're a "MVP" I
would be interested in you elaborating on that comment. I'm not attempting
to start an argument, just want to hear your rationale.

In my case, I replaced a 10 year old desktop that was failing fast
(hardware) and was not expandable beyond 512MB of ram with a laptop fully
compatible with 64-bit and most 32-bit applications. I replaced one software
package (I was due anyway). Since I'm now retired, I can get along without
Microsoft Office (Works 9, which came with my system gives me what I need).
The only peripheral that I replace was my scanner and that was because the
accompanying software was not compatible with 64-bit. I could have kept it,
the driver worked but I wanted full functionality.

Again, I'm interested in you expanding on your comment.
--
Thank You,
Richard

> Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
> computer or upgrading your current computer.
>
> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>> The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:
>>
>> 1. That is the version that came with my new computer
>> 2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
>> (although I'd have to double-check
>> 3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
>> the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy
>> figuring
>> out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
>> alternative)
>> I saw no reason to wait
>>
>> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
>> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
>> makers
>> that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
>> isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
>> versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers
>> would
>> offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
>> 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm
>> patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
>> patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a
>> 32
>> and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?
>>
>>> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>>>
>>> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>>>
>>>     A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
>>> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>>>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765 You should familiarize
>>> yourself with this FAQ:
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
>>> More:
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981

0
Richard
2/14/2010 6:27:27 PM
I don't assume, and I did do plenty of research before buying my new
computer. I read Windows 7 Inside Out from cover to cover (which I believe
is the best series of books as far as getting in-depth details about
Windows, I did the same thing with Windows XP Inside Out), I checked online
for Windows 7 and 64-bit compatible drivers and updates for my hardware and
software, I even wrote myself a detailed step-by-step list of things to do
when I got my machine to make sure I did everything exactly the way I wanted
it. I think I can be considered someone who did their research and homework.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

> Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
> computer or upgrading your current computer.
>
> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>> The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:
>>
>> 1. That is the version that came with my new computer
>> 2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
>> (although I'd have to double-check
>> 3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
>> the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy
>> figuring
>> out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
>> alternative)
>> I saw no reason to wait
>>
>> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
>> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
>> makers
>> that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
>> isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
>> versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers
>> would
>> offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
>> 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm
>> patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
>> patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a
>> 32
>> and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?
>>
>>> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>>>
>>> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>>>
>>>     A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
>>> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>>>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765 You should familiarize
>>> yourself with this FAQ:
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
>>> More:
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981

0
Nathan
2/14/2010 9:41:52 PM
This PA Bear is a crasy guy. What kind of a question is that : May I ask you
why you....... x64 win...??? What do ya' care why somebody did this or
that.A man is asking a question, if you can't give him an answer, please,
don't ask a stupid questiones, It's not up to you, man!!!

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> napisao u poruci diskusione
grupe:8C0B3379-BFDB-4F2C-A1B4-AAB8794B0CF9@microsoft.com...
> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
> are two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
> following locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
> is a 32-bit version)
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
> 64-bit version)
>
> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
> there any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and
> I have not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not
> supposed to be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is
> supposed to be better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit,
> I would like to have everything use that if possible. I have changed any
> shortcuts on my Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am
> a little bit hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that
> specifically specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these
> questions and/or give me some information on some of what I can and/or
> should do about it? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

0
Vjekoslav
2/18/2010 10:48:15 PM
/These/ are "crasy guys" => http://members.fortunecity.com/delanay/snl54.jpg

PS: ur spiel chukkers broke

Vjekoslav wrote:
> This PA Bear is a crasy guy. What kind of a question is that : May I ask
> you
> why you....... x64 win...??? What do ya' care why somebody did this or
> that.A man is asking a question, if you can't give him an answer, please,
> don't ask a stupid questiones, It's not up to you, man!!!
>
> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> napisao u poruci diskusione
> grupe:8C0B3379-BFDB-4F2C-A1B4-AAB8794B0CF9@microsoft.com...
>> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
>> are two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
>> following locations:
>>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
>> is a 32-bit version)
>> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is
>> the
>> 64-bit version)
>>
>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>> there any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and
>> I have not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not
>> supposed to be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is
>> supposed to be better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for
>> 64-bit,
>> I would like to have everything use that if possible. I have changed any
>> shortcuts on my Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I
>> am
>> a little bit hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that
>> specifically specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these
>> questions and/or give me some information on some of what I can and/or
>> should do about it? Thanks.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

0
PA
2/19/2010 12:44:46 AM
Didn't mean to offend you PA Bear! Come on, no hard feelings, just put
yourself in a position of one asking whatever.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> napisao u poruci diskusione
grupe:#bKLX0PsKHA.6004@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> /These/ are "crasy guys" =>
> http://members.fortunecity.com/delanay/snl54.jpg
>
> PS: ur spiel chukkers broke
>

> Vjekoslav wrote:
>> This PA Bear is a crasy guy. What kind of a question is that : May I ask
>> you
>> why you....... x64 win...??? What do ya' care why somebody did this or
>> that.A man is asking a question, if you can't give him an answer, please,
>> don't ask a stupid questiones, It's not up to you, man!!!
>>
>> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> napisao u poruci diskusione
>> grupe:8C0B3379-BFDB-4F2C-A1B4-AAB8794B0CF9@microsoft.com...
>>> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
>>> are two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
>>> following locations:
>>>
>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming
>>> this
>>> is a 32-bit version)
>>> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is
>>> the
>>> 64-bit version)
>>>
>>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>>> there any difference between them? I have tried running both of them,
>>> and
>>> I have not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not
>>> supposed to be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is
>>> supposed to be better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for
>>> 64-bit,
>>> I would like to have everything use that if possible. I have changed any
>>> shortcuts on my Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I
>>> am
>>> a little bit hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that
>>> specifically specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these
>>> questions and/or give me some information on some of what I can and/or
>>> should do about it? Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

0
Vjekoslav
2/19/2010 1:59:34 PM
No problem and my gibe about your spelling was all in fun, too.

Vjekoslav wrote:
> Didn't mean to offend you PA Bear! Come on, no hard feelings, just put
> yourself in a position of one asking whatever.
>
>> /These/ are "crasy guys" =>
>> http://members.fortunecity.com/delanay/snl54.jpg
>>
>> PS: ur spiel chukkers broke
>>

>> Vjekoslav wrote:
>>> This PA Bear is a crasy guy...
0
PA
2/19/2010 3:46:11 PM
Hi, Nathan.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was at the MVP Global Summit this week.

Like you, I prefer to be near - but probably not quite at - the leading
edge.  I have only one computer, so when it comes time to upgrade, I like to
get as near state-of-the-art as I can.  When I built my current rig at the
end of 2006, after we finished the Vista beta and it went RTM, I made sure
my new mobo/CPU were 64 X2 models, with 2 GB of PC-6400 RAM, since upped to
4 GB.  The machine is not quite SOTA now, but still quite enough for my
current needs.  So I agree with your Reasons 1 and 3.

But your Reason 2 is not correct.  ALL versions of Win7 are available in
both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, but some versions don't have both disks in
the retail box.  Many OEMs bundle only one version with their hardware, and
that is increasingly the 64-bit version.  Ultimate x64 is the only version
of Win7 I've used, except for a minor bit of testing.  Win7 does come with
BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the retail box.  All versions of Win7
include 32-bit IE8.  Win7 32-bit has only the 32-bit version of IE8, of
course, since the 64-bit version will not run in 32-bit Windows.  But, as I
said:  Win7 64-bit comes with BOTH versions of IE8 on the DVD-ROM; both
versions will run in 64-bit; Win x64 defaults to the 32-bit version of IE8;
the Win7 x64 user has several ways to run 64-bit IE8.

RC
--

> [...]
>>> 64-bit version)
>>>
>>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>>> there
>>> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I
>>> have
>>> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
>>> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
>>> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
>>> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
>>> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
>>> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
>>> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
>>> and/or
>>> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about
>>> Thanks.

It's certainly good to know that there are other people that want to stay
current in the modern tech. Thanks for clearing up my knowledge about the
availability of 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7. I think I've figured
out why the 32-bit version of IE8 is the default. Many plug-ins and add-ons
refuse to work in the 64-bit version (some of them even from Microsoft!). I
guess I'll have to deal with that for a while just like everyone else and
use the 32-bit version for those things. I just wish when I did come across
something in IE8 64-bit that wants one of those plug-ins that it would tell
me that a 64-bit version of the plug-in is not available instead of asking
me if I want to install the plug-in when it isn't even compatible with my
browser and it's just going to keep asking me everytime I visit the page
with IE8 64-bit anyway. I'm actually quite surprised that some plug-ins
don't have compatible versions yet, since probably 1/2 the sites on the web
use them (such as Flash). Anyway, thanks for your response, and hopefully
some of these places will start moving into 64-bit once more people buy new
computers with Windows 7 64-Bit preinstalled.
--

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> 64-bit versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware
>> makers would offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would
>> have made a 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone
>> uses. But I'm a patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and
>> alternatives, I'm a patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to
>> give Windows 7 users a 32 and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to
>> complain about?
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski

>>> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>>>
>>> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>>>
>>>     A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
>>> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>>>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
>>>
>>> You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:

0
Nathan
2/21/2010 5:19:29 AM
Hi, Nathan.

> Many plug-ins and add-ons refuse to work in the 64-bit version (some of
> them even from Microsoft!).

Correct.  And I griped about those (again) to Microsoft at the Summit.  I
got more excuses and rationalizations than promises of fixes.  :>(

> I just wish when I did come across something in IE8 64-bit that wants one
> of those plug-ins that it would tell me that a 64-bit version of the
> plug-in is not available instead of asking me if I want to install the
> plug-in when it isn't even compatible with my browser and it's just going
> to keep asking me everytime I visit the page with IE8 64-bit anyway.

Agreed!  100%!

RC
--

> [...]
>>> figuring out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
>>> alternative) I saw no reason to wait
>>>
>>> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
>>> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
>>> makers that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates.
>>> 64-bit isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were
>>> 64-bit versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware
>>> makers would offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe
>>> would have made a 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually
>>> everyone uses. But I'm a patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds
>>> and alternatives, I'm a patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough
>>> to give Windows 7 users a 32 and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I

yeah, it's not accidently, that was an intention

stay well

2 2 Toulouse    (city in France, )
2 2 Toulouse 2
0
Vjekoslav

How to get a programming job?
I know this is an awkward question but I am just stumped! I am presently a College student at Devry University Online. I am working towards my Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. I have a 4.0 GPA, Dean's List Award & President's List Award. I have already graduated from College America with my Associates Degree in Computer Programming, with similar achievements as those listed above and was a College America valedictorian. Yet none of that helps me because every programming job I run across on Dice & CareerBuilder require at least 1 year industry experience ...

calendar #8
When clicking on month,I would like to know how to highlight only one day instead of entire month. What version Publisher? You should be able to select just a single cell by highlighting the number and dragging a bit. If this doesn't work for you, put the cursor in the cell, table menu, select cell. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ukigirl" <ukigirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0E84217-7C16-4E3F-8AFF-470792CE4DF6@microsoft.com... > When clicking on month,I would like to k...

error in script from internet explorer
when i use online help i cannot click a link without getting an error from I.E. concerning the script ...

change path of storage, log files etc.
Hi, I just installed new Exchange 2003. Exchange is installed on default partition c:\ I want to move storage, log files and other stuff which possible to move to D:\ How I can do it automatically without changing path manually. One guy mention that I have to click on server icon in ESM and utility is there... I didn't find it :) Please help. thx. Michael. On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:02:02 -0800, "MLA!" <MLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I just installed new Exchange 2003. >Exchange is installed on default partition c:\ >I want to move storage, log fil...

test #8
In article <ee887db.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, cdhk125@officeformac.com wrote: > test failed (Test posts should go to to test news groups such as alt.test - not here.) -- Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter. JR ...

Money 2004 internet update
My 2004 is not updating properly, infact not at all. When I press update now it will crash the program. My internet settings and bank setting are correct. This problem is only happening on my Dell computer running windows 2000. Ijust installed a new graphix card and I am running a dual monitor setup. It updated once after I installed the card then not again after that. I loaded the program on my laptop to test it and all features work fine. Are there any known issues in regards to graphix cards ore running in a dual monitor set up? Well... It is definatly the video card. I disabled ...

Manually remove folders file (Outlook 2000)
hello, MS Office 2000 (Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711 IMO) I have a user who appears to have 2 open folders, when i click on one of them i get the following error: "Unable to display the folder. The requested information store could not be found in the active profile." But his normal Outlook Today - Personal Folder is active and running properly. I can't remove this "dummy" folder file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, yt AirYT <airyt@funkychickens.org> wrote: > MS Office 2000 (Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711 IMO) > I have a user who appears to h...

Orphan Ost file
is there any way to convert an old ost file to a pst file? or merge two ost files togeter ? I'm using Exchange server 2003 Outlook 2003 Thanks Norm Yep, got some money left? http://officerecovery.com/exchange/ -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Save Embedded Pictures in Their Original Format -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Norman" <norman@scallycomputechs.com> wrote in message news:901d4269.0404121109.6aa01f9c@posti...

Why can't publisher open my files?
I regularly work on Publisher 2007 to make my church newsletter. I work on them on my laptop and then email them to my church. Everything went swimmingly till she had some memory added and I believe some extra security put on it. Now she (the secretary at church) can open stuff she makes, and things she's made in the past, but not files made by me. I even opened a new file and typed "test" onto it and that was it. She was able to open that just fine through an email attachment. Just not my files that are our newsletter files. Could there be a problem with some font or so...

request to solve my problem #8
I have an MDI application in vc++. In the view i have a splitter wnd in which the top view is CScrollView and he bottom view is CRichEditViw. In the top view i can draw the lines which represent Music. we can change the size of the lines by providing a zoom option with 10 to 200 % in a combobox in the Toolbar. for this i want to implement a feature "Fit Window" which fits the drawing to the visible area only. Please provide me your ideas and help me. i will be waiting for ypur re[ly.hope you will respond to me soon I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but it soun...

Install the internet pack for Internet Explorer
--sstgmprmnanztmshb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dyatvmthbtnsg"; type="multipart/alternative" --dyatvmthbtnsg Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fbkzxamyh" --fbkzxamyh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintain ...

Backup program
I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now have Norton Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be appreciated. thank you, (jbrown15@hvc.rr.com) Acronis TrueImage HOME edition is easy to use. It does help though if you read the help file and learn a bit about partitions and file structures. -- Richard Urban Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience & Security "JBrown" <jbrown15@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message news:enqztMdcKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl.....

Please help with txt file
I would like to save a file as a txt file and then see the tab character when I open it up in notepad. Anyone know how? I don't think Notepad will show the tabs. Can you open it in MSWord and turn on Tools|options|View tab|Check Tab Characters. Or you can hit the pilcrow (the funny looking backward P character on the standard toolbar) to see all the formatting characters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilcrow (to see what icon I mean) sleepless in san jose wrote: > > I would like to save a file as a txt file and then see the tab character when > I open it up in notepad. A...

Internet Explorer
I am running Win XP 2 and have automatic upgrades ticked. IE upgraded to 8, then problems. I cannot open a MS window, try's to open but closes half why through. Same when I try to open Win Media Player, opens but when I click to play window closes. Reverted back to IE 7 but problem remains. Can open MS windows using Firefox but not media player. Tried running IE diagnostics but problem remains. Any-one any idea's? Its driving me crazy. -- clanbull ------------------------------------------------------------------------ clanbull's Profile: http://forums.techarena.i...

Command Line Utility to split text file by number of lines
I'm looking for an windows command line utility that can split files by number of line. Most of them are by bytes... can anyone recommend ? Thanks. You could write your own or try this: <http://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/> If you tell me what you want to do, I can do it for you and send you by email. Send me a sample file and tell me how many lines in each file and I will do it for you. Make sure the files are text files not binary files because lines only apply to text files. hth dingdongdingding wrote: > > I'm looking for an windows command line ...

How can I move files?
I have stup my system so that from time to time I use a Ghost copy and start fresh. I only play two games - EA Sports Madden 2007 and EA Sports ML Baseball 2005. They both have files one can move to another drive and start fresh from. What folder can I copy and then apply after a Ghost? thanks "webfinder" <find@grindere.com> wrote in message news:Xns9A0633F2283FFfinner@207.115.33.102... >I have stup my system so that from time to time I use a Ghost copy and > start fresh. I only play two games - EA Sports Madden 2007 and EA Sports > ML Baseball 2005. They ...

FATAL error : Language database file
Dear All, Have any one experience this problem?? FATAL error : Language database file c:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\MGRLanguage.dat not found. Plus.... the application store manager/store pos/store administrator cannot be open.... it was saying not a valid win32 application. It happen in two shops with data residing on it. I'm using 1.3.0203 GregDxb wrote: > Dear All, > > Have any one experience this problem?? > > FATAL error : Language database file c:\documents and > settings\administrator\desktop\MGRLanguage.dat not found. why you hav...

Internet Explorer Problem
I have a weird one that I haven't been able to solve and need some help. My Internet Explorer browser on my XP machine will not run in 'Admin' mode but runs fine in any of the user modes on the machine. I've done what I can to reset IE to original settings and no luck which leads to to believe that the program, in of itself, is okay but there's apparently some registry key I need to tweak to get it running again in Admin mode. If I boot up into a general user mode OR 'switch user', it's fine. So I'm hopeful that a MS engineer might see this and b...

A tradeoff between readability and file size?
What would you prefer guys - not pixilated graphics and great readability, unfortunately by accepting big files, or the other way around? I got quite disappointed when my crisp-clear PDF documents declined terribly when printed to OneNote, and further from OneNote to my printer. If there is no user-defined quality setting here, or a bug fix(?), the idea of using Office OneNote 2007 as a "print queue" for later paper print-outs, is lost! Regards, Henrik __________ Information fr�n ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version av virussignaturdatabas 4903 (20100228) _________...

Problems with files attaches in windows mail
Can´t open files (xls, doc, etc etc) in windows mail. I´m windows Vista Home Premium. Please help. Thank you You must have either Microsoft Office or the free OpenOffice.org installed. "Deidos" <Deidos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A8CD0F1-8858-41C4-85F5-2985B4F29571@microsoft.com... > Can´t open files (xls, doc, etc etc) in windows mail. I´m windows Vista > Home > Premium. Please help. > Thank you I have IE8 and Microsoft Office 2002 "Charles W Davis" wrote: > You must have either Microsof...

Windows Vista
I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I just saw a screen capture of what appears to be either Vista's Windows Explorer or Search Screen. Near the top of the 'screen' it says: Show Only: 'All' 'E-Mail' 'Document' 'Picture' 'Music' 'Other' What I want to know is how this affects e-mail. I currently use Outlook 2003 for e-mail and the PST file is password protected since more then one person uses the computer. As a result I obviously don't want my e-mail searched and displayed to anyone who just clicks on the &#...

Newbie needs help for programming in MFC for Windows CE.
See i want to create a program where i have a dialog box with two editboxes and a button called "Add" .My edit boxes should accept integer values and my 'Add' button must add those two values.I had already created a code where i can enter a string into an edit box and get it dispalyed through a message box in pocket pc 2003 .Now i tried declaring two integers and using GetDlgItemInt to read those integers from the editbox and get it displayed in a message box in the same way as above but cant get my code to work,am i wrong in doing so,pls pls help me out......i am using Evc++...

excel file can't be opened #2

Duplicate Files Created
Have a user who is working on a spreadsheet. When she saves her changes, and exits out of the spreadsheet, it creates a duplicate file. It is an unassociated file, but it does open with Excel. Are you sure it's an exact duplicate??? When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension). If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name. Common things that get blame...

Can't attach zip files....
Hi All... I use Outlook XP, recently I found that I can't attach zip files to my emails...does anyone know how to solve this problem? Is it a setting problem? Thanks in advance... Mary ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ What happens when you try? maryy wrote: > Hi All... > > I use Outlook XP, recently I found that I can't attach zip files to my > emails...does anyone know how to solve this problem? > Is it a setting problem? >...